Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: How to properly create a desktop 800x600 or 1024x768 desktop resolution? W7  (Read 2468 times)

burn_654

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2024, 03:31:13 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Hi there, finally jumping ship and upgrading my cabinet to Windows 7. Fond user of crt_emudriver and groovymame on XP.

I seem to be up and running, with user_modes as suggested.

However, I need to add an 800x600 or 1024x768 desktop mode for purposes of using a VNC server/client to install/configure applications which are not friendly at such a low resolution of 640x480. Examples including steam, text editing for frontends etc. I was previously able to do this - I would VNC into the arcade machine, turn off the monitor, and switch to a higher resolution to do my configurations remotely.

I am using the arcade_15 monitor preset and I tried adding

800 x 600 @ 60.000000 desktop
1024 x 768 @ 60.000000 desktop

to my user_modes - super.ini

But video mode maker interprets them like this:
"800x496_60 16.17KHz 60.00Hz" 16.95 800 832 912 1048 496 499 505 539 interlace -hsync -vsync
"1024x496_60 16.17KHz 60.00Hz" 21.73 1024 1064 1168 1344 496 499 505 539 interlace -hsync -vsync

I have read that I may need to edit the monitor preset but that gives me all kinds of 'weird' 31khz super resolutions which is not what I desire - pretty much exactly the resolutions I have plus an additional (I suppose 31khz?) 800x600 and 1024x768.

Thank you in advance for any insight!

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:26:05 am
  • Quote me with care
800x600 is easy, just replace the interlaced lines max value in the arcade_15 preset (576), by 600.
1024x768 is impossible at 15 kHz, do you really need it?
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

burn_654

• Offline Offline
Ok, 800x600 should be enough if that's easier to get going.

My only concern is that previously the best 'balance' of getting most groovymame games to properly fit my screen without lots of v-height adjustment was to reduce my max progressive lines to 256 and max interlaced lines to 512 (I recall some cutoff was happening in higher interlace modes for this monitor, and the max progressive was lowered for vertical games like galaga.)

Changing the max interlaced lines to 600 would cause groovymame/switchres to make that many lines available for mame games to use, wouldn't it? I'm just curious, it seems like it would reverse the cutoff I was solving before.

Basically, whether or not the 800x600 is *actually* 15khz isn't that important to me, I'm turning off the monitor before switching and only using it for remote vnc utility. I believe under xp and the older crt_emudriver I still had a 31khz 800x600 that mame didn't touch. It would throw the monitor out of sync (as completely expected) but gave me more real estate to use when editing remotely. I was using the utility quickres to make that change fwiw, and changing back to 640x480i before turning the arcade monitor back on.

It would seem like what I desire would be an added 800x600 user mode that won't alter the resolutions groovymame would pick, if that makes sense. Maybe I need to 'add' it and somehow exclude groovymame from using it?

Thanks for the response Calamity! (and the truly awesome software)

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
The modification I suggested is just for VMMaker, GM will still use its own line limits (make sure you don't have the "export settings" enabled in VMMaker though).

You can create mixed 15 kHz and 31 kHz resolutions in VMMaker. It's just a bit long to explain how to do that, so I wanted to make sure you really needed it before writing too much.
Steps to create a log:

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

burn_654

• Offline Offline
Ah, that makes perfect sense - install the usual modes I want with export enabled, then increase my line limit (or make another ini) that has the 600 line limit and install -without- the mame.ini export.

I'll give that a shot tonight, thanks again!

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
It's just one step install, just set 600 in vmmaker and 512 in mame.ini.
Steps to create a log:

burn_654

• Offline Offline
Just wanted to follow up and say that worked great, thanks for the help Calamity! In the end it helped clarify how to add some additional desktop modes as well.  :applaud:

The 800 x 600 mode is pretty cutoff/not that stable for my monitor (a little too flickery for my tastes) but it absolutely met my needs for remote desktop (darn controller config screens can get pretty big in Dolphin) so all good in my book.

Thanks again!