Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: F Zero AX on wii console question  (Read 6936 times)

Boomslang

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2024, 08:20:43 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
F Zero AX on wii console question
« on: November 12, 2016, 01:47:29 am »
I was curious has anyone ever tried linking between 2 of these modded consoles? I've only just started playing f zero gx on dolphin and it's fun with proper force feedback etc but a bit lame having no multiplayer

Looks like we could be waiting awhile for a decent triforce build as they have removed it all the triforce stuff from dolpin now it seems

I tried setting up a net play session across 2 pcs today and it worked fine except I couldn't get it working if they were using the steering wheels for force feedback. Had to be just emulating standard controllers

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Re: F Zero AX on wii console question
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2016, 02:36:52 am »
Yeah I ran into similar issues.  Apparently the lone FF wheel released for the gamecube needs special coding or something. 

Boomslang

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2016, 03:46:48 am »
?

the gamecube wheel is emulated in dolphin and works fine with full force feedback

I just cant get 2 of them working over netplay unfortunately

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 08:15:07 pm
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2016, 05:43:17 am »
?

the gamecube wheel is emulated in dolphin and works fine with full force feedback

Man.....I can't sing enough praises about how good the FFB feels in F-Zero GX via Dolphin. It's honestly the best FFB I've felt in any Sega racing game PERIOD, and yes that includes Daytona 1 and 2 and Sega Rally. I don't know who did the force feedback coding for that game but man, did they do a SUPERB job! Gives my wheel a super workout!

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:30:55 pm
  • As I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2016, 10:45:36 am »
I tried setting up a net play session across 2 pcs today...

Whaaaaa...? I didn't know you could do this! That is awesome news, I must give this a go. Edit: Ah, I was forgetting though that my 2nd PC is old and probably won't be able to run Dolphin anything like full speed, so there's probably not much point in me trying this... I'd love to be able to get the Dolphin/Visual Boy Advance connectivity thing working properly (the two emulators always hang on start-up when I try) so I could play Zelda: Wind Waker as if you've got a GBA connected to it. I actually had all the stuff to be able to physically do the real life Zelda hook-up back in the day and I know the Tingle Tuner doesn't really add much, but it's really just for the novelty value I'd like to get it to work.

It's weird how all the Triforce build stuff seems to have just come to a complete standstill in Dolphin, I'm not sure what the deal is with that.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 10:52:30 am by MrThunderwing »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2016, 12:14:49 pm »
?

I just cant get 2 of them working over netplay unfortunately

Are we talking about triiforce or dolphin?

Boomslang

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2016, 02:51:57 pm »
Dolphin

If you go to config and select your controller as steering wheel instead of controller and then set it up. For rumble choose constant as he set up ffb for that

It will now give you full force feedback in f zero gx and also in the ax mode if you use the code

And yeah net play works well EXCEPT It won't work if I choose steering wheels as controllers on each pc. I have to select standard controller for each pc and then it works so I choose versus and get multiplayer splitscreen on both.

-I do get some effects onto wheel when I hit walls etc but it's not proper ffb

-I also lose the ability for analog pedals. Only A is accelerate now so pedal is just hitting button effectively now

-I was hoping there might be a way to do this but have each split screen show up as a full image on each pc. I know some pc games do this by increasing resolution and aspect ratio across 2 monitors on same pc. I guess kinda like dual play on 3d tvs

Anyway I posted on their forums to see if there's anyway to have both select steering wheel as I want ffb for each split screen player

Boomslang

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2016, 07:36:08 pm »
well I played around a little with this today and got it fullscreen on each monitor instead of splitscreen

Plugged a separate hdmi cable from monitor into gpu so same monitor to gpu twice then set up eyefinity display and made sure hdmi 1 was set as my right monitor for player 2 and left monitor for player 1

then set it to maintain aspect ratio in eyefinity and set up dolphin to eyefinity resolution and made it stretch to window

I generally leave it windowed while selecting vehicles now then just alt enter on both (to go fullscreen) as I entering race

I set interal resolution at 1440p or so...looks really nice now and a lot better not being splitscreen on both monitors

I just use netplay for it myself between the 2 pcs
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 07:40:05 pm by Boomslang »

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 11:13:43 am
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2016, 11:16:25 pm »
To be clear here, your talking about netplay meaning emulating one console on 2 screens correct? Not 2 separate versions of F-zero linked together like a Mario Kart LAN, I don't think that's possible.

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2016, 11:22:26 pm »
?

Man.....I can't sing enough praises about how good the FFB feels in F-Zero GX via Dolphin. It's honestly the best FFB I've felt in any Sega racing game PERIOD, and yes that includes Daytona 1 and 2 and Sega Rally. I don't know who did the force feedback coding for that game but man, did they do a SUPERB job! Gives my wheel a super workout!

What are you using a g27?

Boomslang

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2016, 11:25:34 pm »
To be clear here, your talking about netplay meaning emulating one console on 2 screens correct? Not 2 separate versions of F-zero linked together like a Mario Kart LAN, I don't think that's possible.

yeah f zero doesnt have LAN and thus no multiplayer but it does have splitscreen

Im trying to get some form on multiplayer so im using netplay across 2 pcs and having each screen have a full image so it looks like its over LAN

Ive used fanatec gt2 and logitech g29 and both worked well

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2016, 09:54:28 am »
 That's really cool, if you get it perfected maybe you can do a quick tutorial or something...

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2016, 12:04:47 pm »

yeah f zero doesnt have LAN and thus no multiplayer but it does have splitscreen

Im trying to get some form on multiplayer so im using netplay across 2 pcs and having each screen have a full image so it looks like its over LAN

Ive used fanatec gt2 and logitech g29 and both worked well

Ah, I misunderstood. I thought this was referring to a LAN.

Boomslang

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2016, 03:05:04 pm »
Looks like this

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2016, 04:16:27 pm »
Wow, that's actually looking pretty awesome.

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2016, 05:19:19 pm »
Looks like this

So can you get it fullscreen on both screens?

Boomslang

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2016, 06:40:35 pm »
Yeah I can. I was just testing it showing. Splitscreen sucks obviously lol

marioxb

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 08, 2024, 01:54:31 pm
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2022, 08:47:30 pm »
Yeah I ran into similar issues.  Apparently the lone FF wheel released for the gamecube needs special coding or something.

Did you ever get look into this any further? Seems Wii/ Wii U is the best way to play the arcade iso of F-Zero AX, since the Dolphin "people" don't seem to care for Triforce, I guess. I'm sure there has to be a way to make force feedback work on Wii via Nintendont, either with the GameCube Logitech Speed Force or a PS3 wheel via USB.

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2022, 06:31:11 pm »

Did you ever get look into this any further? Seems Wii/ Wii U is the best way to play the arcade iso of F-Zero AX, since the Dolphin "people" don't seem to care for Triforce, I guess. I'm sure there has to be a way to make force feedback work on Wii via Nintendont, either with the GameCube Logitech Speed Force or a PS3 wheel via USB.

What is Nintendon't? Is that a Wii emulator? If so, how are you playing F-Zero AX on it? That game is for arcades only. Is it a special pirate version designed explicitly for the Wii or something? I'm confused.

marioxb

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2022, 11:21:52 am »
So the arcade Triforce system is basically a modified GameCube that plays games on Sega GD-Roms (the same type of discs Dreamcast used), and I think custom hard drives. Called Triforce because of Zelda, of course, but also because of the three companies that designed it: Nintendo, Sega, and Namco. Three of the games made for it are F-Zero GX, and Mario Kart Arcade GP 1 and 2. Because Triforce is so similar to GameCube, the games are playable on Wii/ Wii U (both also containing modified GameCube hardware), although an actual GameCube is not quite powerful enough, due to the added hardware of the Triforce unit.

Nintendont (no apostrophe) is software for Wii and Wii U that allows GameCube backups to be playable on SD cards,, USB drives or system memory. A side effect, I guess, was allowing Triforce arcade games to play. Programmers were able to make the games play virtually identical as they did in the arcades. Because Wii and Wii U contain GameCube hardware, this is NOT emulation, just a "key" to get the games to run, basically. Triforce will always be closer to the actual original arcade experience, since the systems are so similar. In fact, only older versions of Wii/ GameCube emulator for PC, Dolphin, even have Triforce compatibility. Not sure why the Dolphin developers don't seem to care about Triforce support.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2022, 09:25:16 pm by marioxb »

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2022, 11:26:36 am »
Wow very interesting!

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2022, 02:57:13 pm »
I think if you use the Nintendont softmod solution to play the Triforce games, you need to install special software to use them. When your Wii's got that installed (if I remember correctly - I read about this years and years ago) you can't play regular Wii or GC games on it. If you want to do that, you need to mod it back to being able to play regular software.

Yeah, real shame the Dolphin developers don't seem to care about carrying on with the Triforce development (especially when you look at how well Sega Chihiro developments come along in CXBXR reloaded, which is a similar principle of an arcade system based on a retail console), would've been nice to play the actual proper version of F-Zero AX.

marioxb

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2022, 09:28:10 pm »
I think if you use the Nintendont softmod solution to play the Triforce games, you need to install special software to use them. When your Wii's got that installed (if I remember correctly - I read about this years and years ago) you can't play regular Wii or GC games on it. If you want to do that, you need to mod it back to being able to play regular software.

Yeah, real shame the Dolphin developers don't seem to care about carrying on with the Triforce development (especially when you look at how well Sega Chihiro developments come along in CXBXR reloaded, which is a similar principle of an arcade system based on a retail console), would've been nice to play the actual proper version of F-Zero AX.

It's been fixed. Nowadays, you can play Wii, GameCube, Triforce and even Wii U games (on a Wii U of course) back and worth with no issues. Even on the same menu!

anchounio

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 04:24:10 pm
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2022, 05:04:08 am »
So F-Zero AX (the real arcade game, not the demo inside F-Zero GX) is fully playable with Nintendont... and it seems it has been like that since many years ago and I didn't have a clue. Anyway, the interesting thing for me would be to make the game playable for multiplayer in a LAN.

marioxb

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2022, 10:42:33 am »
Yes that would be awesome! LAN and force feedback!

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2022, 10:35:55 am »
Yes that would be awesome! LAN and force feedback!

While you can't do a LAN in regular F-Zero GX, you can get force feedback working for racing wheels in Dolphin. I've done this before, then used the F-Zero AX inside GX hack to play the game like that.