Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: HDD migration issues - games won't start - just a beep  (Read 4328 times)

goonergaz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 31, 2018, 10:32:24 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
HDD migration issues - games won't start - just a beep
« on: November 09, 2016, 06:38:22 am »
hi, so - long story short...my arcade worked but my HDD was really slow, taking ages to boot - like 5+ mins so I decided to upgrade to a SSD. I left the old HDD in there to store the roms as the SSD is mostly just used for OS and front ends/emus.

So to save me some time in reconfiguring I managed to copy Joytokey, Maximus and MAME to the SSD (from the old HDD) - great, now my PC boots super fast and goes into Maximus and then MAME. I went into the MA setup and re-directed all the links...fantastic, now the preview videos work...things looking good, however...

...now when I select a game I just get a beep - both from the select arcade button and the keyboard. I know the links are correct as inititally I just changed the drive letter and then I actually 'navigated' to the folder and I have set the file path to 'long'. So far no joy. I tried forcing a rescan, that took ages but eventually comes back with an error about the location of some files, now I haven't updated all my emus - I thought I'd start with MAME as I know that was working and the one we use the most and then sort the others.

So, any ideas? I'm at a loss. I assume have the roms on different HDDs is fine. I'm wondering if I have to start again but I hope not as it originally took ages to setup hence trying to migrate as much of the original setup to the SSD.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any help/advice :)

UEDan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 10, 2019, 05:54:08 am
Re: HDD migration issues - games won't start - just a beep
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2016, 03:16:12 pm »
HDD going bad?
If you boot from the HDD, does it still work?
Can you run MAME by itself and does it actually start the game(s)?

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2016, 03:27:13 pm »
clone the regular HD over to the SSD , most SSDs come with hard drive migration tools.

Have you tried manually running a game from the command line?
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

goonergaz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2016, 02:40:07 pm »
HDD going bad?
If you boot from the HDD, does it still work?
Can you run MAME by itself and does it actually start the game(s)?

Well it was working, I could try putting it back and trying, last time I tried booting it took half hour lol

I can run MAME and a couple games run...I think I've been messing around trying to fix it so much I may have made more of a mess :S

goonergaz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2016, 02:44:34 pm »
clone the regular HD over to the SSD , most SSDs come with hard drive migration tools.

Have you tried manually running a game from the command line?

I tried cloning initially and the load improvements weren't great, the issue is the SSD is much smaller than the original drive and I think it's too small to have MAME included anyway (128GB).

What do you mean running the game from command line?

What's weird is that all the other files link and work ok and as expected. I even renamed one of the video previews to 'break' the link and was successful. I just don't understand why I can link to everything fine but when I link to the roms I have issues and when I scan it says it can't find then :S

« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 03:24:56 pm by goonergaz »

phert

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2016, 03:00:27 pm
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2016, 02:58:21 pm »
in the preferences folder there is a .lst file for each emulator, all i did was delete the contents of each one i used and saved it. they all worked then,for some reason it kept my old directories in there for the roms even though i changed them all in the program

bmuse

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 22, 2018, 09:44:09 pm
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2016, 12:01:43 pm »
I can confirm this as well. Had the same issue after migrating to a new PC. Even though the directories and ROMs essentially stayed the same, I would get the boing-beep. Removing the .lst files from Maximus' preferences folder solved the issue.

I'd recommend moving rather than trashing them -- then you can at least get to the text at some point if you need it.