Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Invalid media location  (Read 10841 times)

surfisup1000

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 01, 2017, 07:48:02 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Invalid media location
« on: November 03, 2016, 05:46:41 pm »
I have installed the latest version of maximus arcade, and the latest version of Mame.

In Max Arcade preferences , I configured the correct folders for mame exe and roms, and removed all  emulators (except mame) in the 'DISPLAY ORDER' tab.

So, all should be good.

But, when i run max arc. i get this error....

Invalid media and executable locations

I have no idea what to do, I've googled for an answer, but there are lots of people who have this problem and i've tried all of the solutions (where possible, some solutions are impossible to follow as they reference files that do not exist in either the mame or max arc. folders)

eg, the solution on this webpage...
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=148682.0
says....

1.Open gamelist.xml with Notepad. This file is big, so it will take a minute to open.

This sounds like a good thing to do, but, i do not have a gamelist.xml file (i've searched both the mame folder, and the max. arcade folder).

Help me please:)

surfisup1000

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 01, 2017, 07:48:02 am
Re: Invalid media location
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2016, 02:51:42 am »
Finally figured it out. 

Install the latest mame/maximus. 

Honestly, why don't you guys publish an actual 'useful' way to get this thing working? Rather than having to learn all the arcane background workings of mame and maximus arcade.

Anyway, this is what i found out.

You need to use the mame.exe to generate the mame.xml in the mame folder.

Open a CMD window in the mame.exe folder, and type....

mame -listxml > mame.xml

Then, configure mame in maximus arcade , point to the mame exe directories and rom dir etc.

Start maximus arcade, and it will say something like 'loading mame'.

Then, it will crash with the invalid media location error.

But, when maximus was started, it generated a file called gamelist.xml (from the mame.xml file generated above), in the mame folder (not the maximus folder as you might expect).

But, the gamelist.xml contains invalid data, I think because maximus arcade does not seem to be under development and has not kept up with changes to mame. This invalid data is what causes the crash to occur.

So, we need to correct the invalid data in gamelist.xml.

Open gamelist.xml, I used notepad++ as it handles large files ok,  and do a 'replace all', you want to change 'machine' to 'game' (without quote marks).

Then, save gamelist.xml, and, open maximus arcade and with a little luck it should work ok now.

Why must it be so hard? Even these instructions would be difficult for a novice to follow.

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2016, 09:51:48 am »
Why must it be so hard? Even these instructions would be difficult for a novice to follow.

That's the nature of the beast, when using an old software program that is no longer being supported but is still being sold - since it is still being sold they should be making these changes to support it but they aren't. Even though it has not been kept maintained for years and no longer works until the user makes some changes manually as long as people keep paying the $25 to activate it who can blame the guy for accepting it !

If you don't want to deal with this kind of problem then you really should look into using a current front end that is still being maintained and has support personnel to keep it updated.  :cheers:

Ransom

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 22, 2017, 01:36:30 pm
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 03:56:01 pm »
UPDATE...  In newer versions do the search and replace on gameslist.xml not mame.xml

sdrob04

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 18, 2021, 02:12:50 pm
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2017, 12:09:21 am »
THANK YOU, one and all.  Been tearing my hair out trying to configure and run Maximus (something I'd done successfully many times in the past).  The .xml file fix was something I would have never figured out on my own.