Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: New Daytona 3 and Cruisin USA Arcade  (Read 12561 times)

Boomslang

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2024, 08:20:43 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: New Daytona 3 and Cruisin USA Arcade
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2018, 04:03:35 am »
just change difficulty in settings

should make the game a bit tougher

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 11:13:43 am
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2018, 07:42:35 am »
The controls are wonked out and manual doesn't even work yet, but with that in mind it seems like a nice update.  There are rom files in the Daytona folder that I'm assuming are the original game, so perhaps it's just a fancy re-skin, but the game feels a bit easier to me.  I always sucked at Daytona, but I can do pretty decent on this one.  If we can get the billboard working it'd be worth it for that alone.... fancy videos and animations, webcams of the players, ect.  It'd make for a very special kind of lan party.

The game is set to easy by default, you can change it in the inis...

negative1

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2024, 04:06:51 pm
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2018, 09:23:46 am »
just change difficulty in settings

should make the game a bit tougher

As mentioned above, the game doesn't really get harder. You just have less time.
The cars AI stays the same regardless of difficulty setting.

If your laptimes are consistent and low enough, you can finish it on any setting.

later

Loafmeister

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 08, 2020, 03:21:17 am
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2018, 10:00:53 am »
I like it and if the steering can be adjusted as per how it should be, might even love it.  There's not much depth but it's not designed for depth so enjoying it for what it is.

Question:  Championship mode seems to default to "expert", so can't even get close to passing enough cars in the first race. IS there an ini file I need to adjust?  I didn't notice anything off hand.

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2018, 03:45:51 pm »
So after playing it several times, across all the courses.

I have noticed some things changed - expert course, jeffrey statue changed to akira

- when you crash into a wall, you lose a lot of speed, there were spots in the original, you could just bounce off walls (speedway) and not lose too much speed

- drifting mechanics are initiated with braking

-----------
it takes a few seconds for a game to end, and a few more before you can enter your name, must be checking something else..

minor things - everytime i enter NEG as the player name, it gets changed randomly to something else.. hmm?

lap times are about the same as the other versions.

i am using an ultrawide screen, runnng it windowed, so i can have the settings up in a browser next to it.... also its neat seeing the realtime
performance stats while playing.

later
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 10:58:22 pm by negative1 »

vice350z

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 30, 2019, 08:14:19 pm
  • BRINGO!!!
    • Sirius 66 - The Beat
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2018, 10:49:03 pm »
Yeah, found it kinda weird how much speed is lost just hitting the wall...not even crashing into it.

I have to play with my 6 speed shifter...way to hard to use the paddles to knock it down to 1st, 3rd and back to 4th around some of those corners in the Advanced course. Seems it doesn't drop down as fast as you can hit the paddles.

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2018, 11:03:13 pm »
Yeah, found it kinda weird how much speed is lost just hitting the wall...not even crashing into it.

I have to play with my 6 speed shifter...way to hard to use the paddles to knock it down to 1st, 3rd and back to 4th around some of those corners in the Advanced course. Seems it doesn't drop down as fast as you can hit the paddles.

going back to the old days of playing daytona.

1) beginner course, you should never have to down shift (just brake slightly on hard left) - of course if you have to downshift here, just do it once.

2) medium course, you only need to shift down gear three times  -  going uphill through the s-turn after the tunnel, the next left turn going downhill, and of course the big drift right at the end of the course

3) expert course - several places to downshift and upshift, mostly the s-turns, and the u-turn left at the end

it really shouldn't affect the time it takes to down shift or up shift, since it happens so few times during the races.

either the paddles or direct shifting should do the job. (getting ready to try it out again).

later
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 11:09:30 pm by negative1 »

vice350z

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 30, 2019, 08:14:19 pm
  • BRINGO!!!
    • Sirius 66 - The Beat
« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2018, 11:14:58 pm »
all these years have gone by and I just recently finally looked into how to get around the second sharp curve after the tunnel in Advanced that I could never get right. I think I saw one video where the driver drifted from the first turn out of the tunnel all the way past the second turn.

Expert track, i still suck at and don't know the correct points to brake/down shift...will have to watch a video of someoen who knows what they're doing to see their shift points.

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:30:55 pm
  • As I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2018, 02:40:02 pm »

1) beginner course, you should never have to down shift (just brake slightly on hard left) - of course if you have to downshift here, just do it once.

You should always down shift at the Sonic turn and not brake. It's a way faster way of taking the corner.
https://youtu.be/PFp_R4UIkhc?t=43

all these years have gone by and I just recently finally looked into how to get around the second sharp curve after the tunnel in Advanced that I could never get right. I think I saw one video where the driver drifted from the first turn out of the tunnel all the way past the second turn.

Keep to the right as much as possible, try and go through the mini S bit fairly straight then gear drift to the right when you get to the sharp right.
https://youtu.be/g0wzl_gpm1Y?t=60
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 02:56:37 pm by MrThunderwing »

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2018, 03:04:45 pm »

You should always down shift at the Sonic turn and not brake. It's a way faster way of taking the corner.
https://youtu.be/PFp_R4UIkhc?t=43

agreed, but for some people that are beginners or having problems, braking is easier.

later