Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Nintendo Switch (aka Nintendo NX)  (Read 24773 times)

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:04:37 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
Re: Nintendo Switch (aka Nintendo NX)
« Reply #120 on: March 03, 2017, 09:57:55 am »
I think the difference is that Nintendo supposedly doesn't sell their hardware at a loss, so by forcing you to buy their hardware they're making even more on the software.

:dunno

WiiU was the 21st century's Sega CD.  Hopefully the Switch is better.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:15:07 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #121 on: March 03, 2017, 10:38:28 am »
WiiU was the 21st century's Sega CD.  Hopefully the Switch is better.

At least Sega CD had Snatcher.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #122 on: March 03, 2017, 10:40:03 am »
Passed on that because the one time I saw it it was $30, and everything else was $1-2.  I opted to walk out with an armload of classics like Bram Stoker's Dracula and Cliffhanger and many others I never bothered opening.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #123 on: March 03, 2017, 10:43:40 am »
Please tell me this was many years ago. $30 for Snatcher is a great price.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #124 on: March 03, 2017, 10:51:49 am »
Mid-90s, bro.   :lol

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:29:58 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #125 on: March 03, 2017, 11:30:17 am »
i'm really concerned for the performance being a killer here... not the games, not the third party support...

it's currently spec'd 900p at 30fps and that's while docked?!?

rumor has it the performance drops by 40% when used as a portable device.

games and peripherals aren't going to kill this console off, it's going to be it's performance.

smalltownguy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2023, 10:48:26 am
« Reply #126 on: March 03, 2017, 12:13:25 pm »
i'm really concerned for the performance being a killer here... not the games, not the third party support...

it's currently spec'd 900p at 30fps and that's while docked?!?

rumor has it the performance drops by 40% when used as a portable device.

games and peripherals aren't going to kill this console off, it's going to be it's performance.

Nintendo has never been one to shy away from releasing an "updated model" of a console. (think: GBA AGS-101) so I'd expect more powerful specs coming from a future hardware release.
Man, will my cab EVER be finished?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #127 on: March 03, 2017, 12:24:24 pm »
Yes because playstations and Xbox's were so successful by making decades old technology gimmicky.
Nintendo needs to drop the niche markets and get serious about making good software  without the crutch of some obscure hardware scheme. They tried all this crap in the early days, and guess what, the best games, the classic games on the old systems were just the best by good design ideas.

The Wii came at the right time, they can thank Guitar Hero for the peripheral popularity. But the WiiU was a failure because they tried to continue that gimmicky theme too soon. Perhaps it was a testing ground for the Switch, but only time will tell.

They just need to get back to making solid gameplay games without the fluff.

Games for fans, not for fams.

Compared to the Wii their consoles barely sold at all.  Also think of all of those classic first party Xbox/ PlayStation games.... there's Halo, and God of War.... and..... yup that's it.  Those games didn't age well either.  Nintendo can afford to take risks (which is decidedly a good thing) because of their stellar IP library and the ability to make timeless classics even today.  With the other two you are essentially being sold a VCR, which is very dangerous to gamers because vcr manufacturers don't care about movies except for the fact that they need them to sell vcrs.  Since modern consoles are not one trick ponies, they focus on whatever sales will add to revenue.... gaming masterpieces have by accident on those systems, not by design.  Also I have no clue what you are talking about in regards to "games with fluff"  Wii Music sucked, DKC returns had needless waggle tacked on and Star Fox Zero was a bit of a dud, but other than that every first party release has been fantastic... even the ones with motion controls.

Mike A:  If Nintendo drops out of the hardware game then portable consoles are assuredly dead and home consoles would die within a generation.  They are the single driving force for innovation in the console industry.  Don't be fooled.  Microsoft and Sony just look at what Nintendo does and throw more specs at the wall.  Also they never quite get it right.  Sony can only make a gamepad if they copy a classic Nintendo layout and Microsoft thought the Kinect would be as useful as a wiimote for gameplay.  Even if you don't care about that, understand that Keeping their IPs on their consoles is what gives them value and a Nintendo with devalued IPs would look like modern day Sega... aka a sad shadow of their former selves.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #128 on: March 03, 2017, 12:29:51 pm »
  Also think of all of those classic first party Xbox/ PlayStation games.... there's Halo, and God of War.... and..... yup that's it.

:lol

No.

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:29:58 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #129 on: March 03, 2017, 07:00:03 pm »
here ya go:

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #130 on: March 03, 2017, 08:42:47 pm »
Compared to the Wii their consoles barely sold at all. 
Uh what.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_game_consoles

Wii: 101.63 million
Xbox360: 84 million
PS3: >83.8 million

A less than 20 mill difference per is not as exaggerated as you make it seem. "Barely"...can you fanboi harder?  Also, combined, people were buying the higher-end systems more than the Wii. And at a higher pricepoint. That's revenue Nintendo missed out on.

Also think of all of those classic first party Xbox/ PlayStation games.... there's Halo, and God of War.... and..... yup that's it. Those games didn't age well either.

Gears of War, Mass Effect, Forza, Fable, Uncharted, Last of Us, Rachet and Clank, Gran Turismo, Little Big Planet, Infamous, Ico and Shadow of Colossus rereleases...
All top tier grand selling franchises that are still ongoing today.

But at least the second and third party games on those systems were vastly better than the equivalent on the Wii. If the game wasn't the run-of-the-Nintendo-mill first party games, it was basically shovelware.
Dude, a majority of the Wii's library is shovelware.

Nintendo can afford to take risks (which is decidedly a good thing) because of their stellar IP library and the ability to make timeless classics even today.  With the other two you are essentially being sold a VCR, which is very dangerous to gamers because vcr manufacturers don't care about movies except for the fact that they need them to sell vcrs.  Since modern consoles are not one trick ponies, they focus on whatever sales will add to revenue.... gaming masterpieces have by accident on those systems, not by design. 
Right. So the aforementioned first party games for PS3 and X360 happened by accident. I also don't get your VCR analogy connection, because if you want to talk about not caring about those titles, Nintendo has shown they don't give a damn about theirs. Look what they did to Metroid. Other M was lacklustre, and Prime 3 was another gimmicky "use the Wii motes!" attempt.
They messed up Zelda Twilight Princess by again more Wiimote madness. Even Mario Kart has been going downhill with each release.
Thankfully they did well with the other Mario franchises. Galaxy 1&2 was great, and New Mario Bros was fun.
Also I have no clue what you are talking about in regards to "games with fluff"  Wii Music sucked, DKC returns had needless waggle tacked on and Star Fox Zero was a bit of a dud, but other than that every first party release has been fantastic... even the ones with motion controls.
#wiimotemadness
#gamesforfansnotforfams

Paul Olson

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2022, 09:06:31 pm
    • Paul's Arcade
« Reply #131 on: March 06, 2017, 03:30:33 pm »
I have had the switch for 3 days now, and I have really enjoyed playing Zelda so far. I am going to finally hook it up to the TV tonight, which I am really looking forward to.

I tried playing it in tabletop mode, but the joycons are just too small for my hands to play that way comfortably. I need to gold on to the rest of the device to make it more comfortable.

I hope other games come out that interest me, but so far, I am thinking I will probably just play Zelda and Mario on this console. those are games I really want to play, so I am OK with that. I just see myself going back to the PS4 and PSVR really quickly after Zelda. These will for sure be the only two games I buy at full price.

I think this is a pretty well designed console...except for the kickstand. That is a joke. I almost sold my 3ds when I bought this, but I think I will hold on to it. This is just not as good as a portable for me. Maybe if they release a bigger battery for it. I have the big mugen battery on the 3ds, and it lasts for a long time now.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #132 on: March 07, 2017, 12:37:28 am »
Well the thing about the 3ds is, if the switch doesn't flop (and so far sales are good) it'll be dead by Christmas.  Remember back in the day when Nintendo announced this new experimental system called the DS?  Remember how they said that it was an experiment and it wouldn't replace the GBA?  Yeah we all know how that turned out.  I'm going to miss two screen gaming... it was fun on the DS line and the Wii U.

Paul Olson

• Offline Offline
    • Paul's Arcade
« Reply #133 on: March 07, 2017, 03:24:43 pm »
Well the thing about the 3ds is, if the switch doesn't flop (and so far sales are good) it'll be dead by Christmas.  Remember back in the day when Nintendo announced this new experimental system called the DS?  Remember how they said that it was an experiment and it wouldn't replace the GBA?  Yeah we all know how that turned out.  I'm going to miss two screen gaming... it was fun on the DS line and the Wii U.

I still have only played zelda on the 3ds, so I am guessing there is still going to be a lifetime of games for me to try on it even if nothing new ever comes out.

I really hope someone comes out with an extended battery for the switch. The battery life is terrible. I usually play Zelda for about 30-60 minutes at a time, so it needs to be charged fairly quickly.

Hopefully tomorrow night will be my chance to try this plugged into the TV. We are getting the house ready to sell right now, so time is really limited. Timing sucks. lol

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #134 on: March 07, 2017, 10:28:00 pm »
I figure they will have a revision of the console pretty soon and/or some third party will sell better batteries. I know when I get a new console one of the first things I do is order batteries for the gamepad from nyko. 

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #135 on: March 30, 2017, 03:45:34 pm »
Amazon has them in stock... sitting in my cart right now.....

EDIT - and it was sold out before I could click order. 

:lol
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 04:47:47 pm by pbj »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #136 on: March 30, 2017, 09:14:28 pm »
Well I was at my local gamestop today.  They had 10 in stock.  The clerk said that since Nintendo announced doubling their production they seem to be keeping up with demand... just barely at least.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #137 on: March 30, 2017, 09:49:08 pm »
Why didn't you buy one?  You live for Nintendo.  Buy it.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #138 on: March 30, 2017, 10:13:49 pm »
Eh... I'm not forking over 360 bucks to play Bomberman.  I might cave when Mario Kart 8 gets re-released. 

Logitech

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 25, 2020, 08:13:16 pm
« Reply #139 on: March 31, 2017, 08:16:44 pm »
Based on previous Nintento handhelds it's probably better to wait for next revision before jumping in. Switch Mini a year or two from now with TX2 clocked the same as normal Switch (better battery life, smaller form factor, fanless). No joycons support, integrated dpad. That's what I'm hoping for.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #140 on: April 06, 2017, 03:37:36 pm »

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2023, 07:20:00 pm
« Reply #141 on: April 06, 2017, 04:05:20 pm »
hopefully v2 be an xl edition.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #142 on: April 06, 2017, 07:41:47 pm »
I don't pay any attention to that stuff.  It's just like the Wii when people were hurling wiimotes into the screen.  9 times out of 10 it's human error that cause scratches/warping, ect and when it isn't they do a recall anyway. 

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #143 on: April 06, 2017, 10:54:24 pm »
Do they pay you to carry all that water?

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #144 on: April 06, 2017, 11:23:12 pm »
I've played over 90+ Hours into my Switch, only once connected it to the dock to see it on the big TV. Its been portable for all that time and I'm not seeing a warp/bend at all. How tightly are these people grasping this thing??

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #145 on: April 06, 2017, 11:27:11 pm »
You have small, girlish hands.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #146 on: April 06, 2017, 11:34:26 pm »

Paul Olson

• Offline Offline
    • Paul's Arcade
« Reply #147 on: April 07, 2017, 11:37:20 am »
I've played over 90+ Hours into my Switch, only once connected it to the dock to see it on the big TV. Its been portable for all that time and I'm not seeing a warp/bend at all. How tightly are these people grasping this thing??

I think they are claiming that it is warping from the heat generated while it is in the dock.

I have had the left joycon disconnect issue, but no other issues so far. I may send it in to get repaired, but I don't really think I will take it off anymore after I get a pro controller.

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2023, 07:20:00 pm
« Reply #148 on: July 20, 2017, 12:38:54 pm »
 Kernel has been hacked and Roma have been dumped. Just a matter of time for the homebrew scene.