Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: New arcade artwork  (Read 3583 times)

Hokkey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2023, 05:02:56 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
New arcade artwork
« on: October 20, 2016, 03:28:33 am »
Hey guys,
I'm just getting started on my artwork for an upcoming build.  I was hoping to get some opinions on it.  I'm looking for both good and bad.  It's my first draft, so, please let me know what's up. 
Also, since the marquee has a lot of black, does that translate well for being backlit?  I'm planning on getting it printed professionally and using some LED strips behind the plexi. 
As for the cpo, I'm basing the design off of the famous space paranoids build, but with a few alterations.
Thanks for the input...

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
Re: New arcade artwork
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 03:47:08 am »
Imo the CP is nice but I would have the 1 row of 4 on top and a bit further away from the stick.

Also P1 and P3 start and credit buttons are mixed.

The Marque... yeah not so keen on that!
The characters are floating in space.
Try to work them in somehow so it doesn't look like you have just dropped them there. Also for a Nintendo theme Sonic doesn't really fit!
And to much black!

I do like the addition of the Entertainment system bit though.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 09:40:32 am »
I was hoping to get some opinions on it.  I'm looking for both good and bad.

Marquee : Standard clashing art styles clip art mess. Everyone does this and I'll never understand why. People will clown on you for having the word arcade in the title too. It seems you want a Nintendo theme but the art is littered with non Nintendo entities.
Suggestions: Honestly my first thought with the name was Toy Story.  Andy's Game box , with most of the marquee just being an edited screen shot of the bottom of Woody's boot where it says Andy.

CPO: Everyone knows I hate that shape, still do. Props for having TC Surf Designs on there but its a bunch of console boxes for both arcade ports and games that wouldnt be easily played on your cabinet (grand theft auto 3). It'd kind of too busy and doesnt play well with the gradients under the player boxes. You know how to turn off layers, so turn off the grads and make them solid colors.
Suggestions: If you go with the TS theme. The CP can  feature a character from the movie like Potato head, Woody, Buzz, and Bo Peep (or who ever you like) for each player. Tons of Toy story art out there.

ALt suggestion if you dont like the toy story idea: Pick a game or more narrow theme and try to keep the art consistent. A dark Blue BG for the marquee will light better than black.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2021, 12:21:09 pm
  • Don't half-ass two things, whole-ass one thing.
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 10:36:20 am »
I'm looking for both good and bad. 

The Good: The joysticks are not angled.

The Bad: The marquee is the definition of clip-art. The control panel is like box-art wallpaper.

My thoughts: Start over. Just like Malenko said: "Pick a game or more narrow theme and try to keep the art consistent."
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 10:43:13 am by vwalbridge »
If you can read this, it means Photobucket's money grab ruined my signature photos.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 02:45:15 pm »

Also, since the marquee has a lot of black, does that translate well for being backlit?  I'm planning on getting it printed professionally and using some LED strips behind the plexi. 
It does not! Avoid pure black backgrounds for marquees...this will definitely not look good when lit.

Hey guys,
I'm just getting started on my artwork for an upcoming build.  I was hoping to get some opinions on it.  I'm looking for both good and bad.  It's my first draft, so, please let me know what's up. 
The good:
- The button and joystick stand-ins are nicely created.
- P3 and P4 joysticks are not rotated.
- You gave it the old college try.

The bad:

Where to start?

CP
- First, lets talk about your choice of CP shape. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the design for the CP is absolutely wrong for a 4-player experience. You'll notice this when P4's joystick arm's elbow is invading P2's button space.  P3's elbow will for sure be colliding with P1's forearm during games.  I understand people like the "look" of the shape of this CP, but for practicality it is not comfortable for a 4-player experience. The original midway/konami style CP shape is a standard for a reason, it gives the most elbow room and spacing for crowding around the machine.

- Artwise...I'm not a fan of the mix of box art from all these different games. GTA?? On an arcade machine...I just don't get it.
I would simplify the CP art, to start...and rely on more patterns, grids, halos rather than random images of different styles and games that don't even relate to the arcade concept.

- Those label fonts are tiny! When printed they will not be readable.  Also, I'm not sure I agree with the category labels like "master control, and Player 1/2/3/4  being on the bottom of the button groups rather than at the top. 

Marquee:
- The clipart look is standard for most people that aren't really artistic, per say. The tackiness comes from the mixture of different styles, characters from different angles/perspectives, and a lack of overall composition of their placements.
The plain black background isn't going to print well, and it dominates the overall look, has nothing really to it that's interesting.  You don't want the background to stand out, i get it, but at the same time the black void is engulfing the image.
I would scrap the idea of the clipart style, or at least if you're set on these different characters from a wide variety of games, try to find art that go together in style. You've got too many different looks here from Pixel to 3D rendered, to wireframes and realistic shadows??  Too much.

- "Arcade" is a location. This is an arcade machine. I don't think you need to hit people over the head with a hammer to tell them that they're playing an arcade machine. Pick a name with a theme. If you're set on your name being on the thing, then come up with something clever to go with it.

- Thematically I don't know what I'm looking at. You have a Nintendo logo, on an arcade machine that also has art from Sega, Sony, atari, etc... Pick a theme!

I'm in the same "start over" crowd.  As harsh as this all sounds, you are doing your project a disservice not putting more effort into the artwork. Do more research, as much as you would with the building process. Look up artstyles you like, artists that have a particular style that appeals to you, then try to emulate that.  Look at the classic cabinets and how they compose their art kits and take queues from them.  Also, Simplify.  Less is more. 

Hokkey

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2023, 05:02:56 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2016, 04:39:59 pm »
You guys are great.  Just what i needed to hear.
First off, I wanted to show that it could play a bunch of systems, not just arcade, sega, nintendo, etc.  That's why there's the whole mix of characters.  I don't particularly like the mixed styles, as someone mentioned.  I'll have to fix that. 
I think the main problem is that I don't know what I want.  I don't like the name on the marquee, or the fact that it is a machine not an arcade,  but when I asked around, that was the consensus.  I want to change it, but I don't know what it will be.
As for the shape of the CP, that part is staying, since I've already cut the panel for it and made the box.

Anyway, back to the drawing board on the artwork.  I'm definitely taking suggestions for a theme! 

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2016, 05:45:37 pm »
As a thought if you want to keep the blackness and nintendo theme maybe you could make it a space scene back drop with space type things in?
Starfox etc.

Just a idea....