Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Star Wars Rogue One talk (WARNING SPOILERS)  (Read 18284 times)

menace

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 18, 2023, 10:57:06 am
Re: Star Wars Rogue One talk (WARNING SPOILERS)
« Reply #80 on: December 24, 2016, 07:41:30 am »
I thought it was really good--a bit slow in spots but overall, really loved the feel of the scrappy rebellion coming together.  One thing I can't remember though is when they show R2 and 3P0--does he say--"where are "we" off to" or where are "they" off to.  One implies they are going to Scarif and the other implies they are staying at the base while the fleet is leaving.  If they get left behind on the base--how were they on the blockade runner for a new hope?  Help my ailing memory here.
its better to not post and be thought a fool, then to whip out your keyboard and remove all doubt...

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:10:48 pm
« Reply #81 on: December 24, 2016, 09:50:49 am »
I thought it was really good--a bit slow in spots but overall, really loved the feel of the scrappy rebellion coming together.  One thing I can't remember though is when they show R2 and 3P0--does he say--"where are "we" off to" or where are "they" off to.  One implies they are going to Scarif and the other implies they are staying at the base while the fleet is leaving.  If they get left behind on the base--how were they on the blockade runner for a new hope?  Help my ailing memory here.
I heard "we", but took it to mean we as in the rebels in general, not them in particular.

gdonovan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 05, 2021, 02:37:58 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #82 on: December 24, 2016, 04:59:19 pm »
If they get left behind on the base--how were they on the blockade runner for a new hope?  Help my ailing memory here.

Its one of the continuity errors made in the movie.

Another is where are the "many Bothan spies" who died getting the Death Star plans to the rebels?

None to be found in Rouge One.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #83 on: December 24, 2016, 05:19:12 pm »
If they get left behind on the base--how were they on the blockade runner for a new hope?  Help my ailing memory here.

Another is where are the "many Bothan spies" who died getting the Death Star plans to the rebels?

As discussed above, they (Bothans) died getting plans for the SECOND death star.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #84 on: December 24, 2016, 05:19:28 pm »

That's a quote from Return of the Jedi, so it doesn't apply here.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

gdonovan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #85 on: December 25, 2016, 05:00:11 am »
That's a quote from Return of the Jedi, so it doesn't apply here.

Ah thanks! Been awhile since I have seen it.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Slippyblade

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
« Reply #86 on: December 26, 2016, 01:26:55 am »

As a person who LOVED this movie and also routinely plays a rogue...  gonna call out the OBVIOUSLY PAINFULLY BAD SPELLING.

gdonovan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #87 on: December 26, 2016, 06:07:53 am »

As a person who LOVED this movie and also routinely plays a rogue...  gonna call out the OBVIOUSLY PAINFULLY BAD SPELLING.

Spurg much? Auto correct error man, chill out.

dkersten

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2024, 11:47:30 am
  • If you are gonna do it, do it right..
« Reply #88 on: December 26, 2016, 01:44:28 pm »
Personally my favorite part was the little things like the wardrobes and props.  It felt very "star wars episode 4".  I missed not having a crawl, not because the movie needed one, but because that is the best part of a new star wars movie.  It's funny, I'm glad it didn't have one since this is a side story and not part of the saga, but it was still a bit of a let down..

Overall a good prequel to the original Star Wars...

I wanted to go home and watch the original immediately afterward, but between work, being sick, and Christmas, it just wasn't happening.

FWIW, When Leia got out of there in the Corellian Corvette, they would have jumped to hyperspace, and we have no way of knowing how many jumps they made with how many course corrections to end up near Tattooine when they were finally caught.  It is plausible that she, as an ambassador, could have tried to use the excuse that she was on a diplomatic mission. 

I also like how the music shifted throughout the movie until it was playing the same music of Ep IV. 

Grasshopper

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 08, 2023, 07:20:31 am
  • life, don't talk to me about life
« Reply #89 on: December 26, 2016, 02:11:27 pm »
I went to see it on Christmas Eve with low expectations, but to my surprise, it was excellent. Not perfect by any means, but far better than I could reasonably have expected given that it was made by Disney, and given the dross that Hollywood (mostly) churns out these days.

I'd provisionally put this as my second favourite Star Wars movie. Not quite as good as the original, but better than The Empire Strikes Back (which is good but slightly overrated IMHO).
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel." - Samuel Johnson

Grasshopper

• Offline Offline
« Reply #90 on: December 26, 2016, 02:20:51 pm »

I wanted to go home and watch the original immediately afterward, but between work, being sick, and Christmas, it just wasn't happening.

Indeed. In a strange way, this prequel might actually have enhanced the original.

Next time I watch the original, I'll have in the back of my mind the notion that major sacrifices were made to retrieve the Death Star's plans, and that will hopefully make the movie feel a bit less frivolous.

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #91 on: December 26, 2016, 02:22:10 pm »
Not quite as good as the original, but better than The Empire Strikes Back (which is good but slightly overrated IMHO).

Blasphemy   :angry:
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

Grasshopper

• Offline Offline
« Reply #92 on: December 26, 2016, 02:37:17 pm »
Not quite as good as the original, but better than The Empire Strikes Back (which is good but slightly overrated IMHO).

Blasphemy   :angry:

Heh, I knew that would get someone's attention.

Don't get me wrong, it's a decent film. But I think many people prefer it to Episode 4 because it has a reputation for being "dark" when it's not really that dark at all.

Frankly, if you want darkness then Rogue One is a lot darker. I was particularly impressed by the fact that all the principal characters were killed off. I haven't seen that since Blakes 7.

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #93 on: December 26, 2016, 04:48:07 pm »
And the fact the rest are most likely dead or in a old folks home.  I think Blakes 7 would suffer a remake.

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #94 on: December 29, 2016, 01:02:38 pm »
Not perfect by any means, but far better than I could reasonably have expected given that it was made by Disney, and given the dross that Hollywood (mostly) churns out these days.

Given that Disney owns pretty much everything now we can probably give up the "good for a Disney movie" idea. 

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:00:13 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #95 on: January 01, 2017, 07:58:37 pm »
Finally saw it.  Three other people in the theater.

Not sure why we needed a mystical space Asian that knows karate but whatever.  Every scene with him and his husband were a drag.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:10:48 pm
« Reply #96 on: January 01, 2017, 08:12:16 pm »

Not sure why we needed a mystical space Asian that knows karate but whatever.

Young writer probably caught a Zatoichi movie at 3 in the morning while stoned. 

emphatic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:41:25 am
  • -"Suck it, Donny!" -"No, YOU suck it.... more".
    • Emphatic's Video Game Collection
« Reply #97 on: January 02, 2017, 05:37:45 pm »
Not sure why we needed a mystical space Asian that knows karate but whatever.  Every scene with him and his husband were a drag.

To ensure billions of Chinese viewers will pay admission.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #98 on: January 02, 2017, 05:55:50 pm »
You know, I frequently ponder whether or not various subgroups enjoy their stereotypical depictions versus chafing against the notion that they all know Kung fu or how to play bass guitar.  I suppose this movie doesn't resolve that issue, but that guy was extraordinarily out of place in this movie.

Force Awakens was better.

:cheers:

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 08:00:17 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #99 on: January 02, 2017, 06:24:17 pm »
Saw this the day that Carrie passed away, lot of feels about that.  At any rate, I left the theater pleased with the experience.  A few days on and I'm less so, there's a bunch of things that just kinda bother me about this production. 

Can we please have more sets and more locations - christ that was a bit much.

Cassian wasn't believable for me, the movie establishes him as a follow-orders-kill-a-comrade-when-needed-spy-guy and then he spends the whole movie doing the opposite without any real motivation to change except perhaps of the sexual nature. 

Let's introduce Forest Whitaker with body mods that seriously harken to Vader and hint that he's going to be a badass but then age him, give him crazy hair, crazy voice, and a mind reading tentacle monster with a squid for a vagina that makes people crazy...only it doesn't really make people crazy.  Only temporarily crazy.  Whatever, and let's have Saw stay and face his death for like no reason since fighting the empire was his gig.  The character was the lynch pin of the first act and they just ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- all over it.     

The Knights of Jedha were pointless additions that did nothing to drive the story.  Their entire purpose in the movie was to flip a switch that didn't need to be flipped in the first place because obviously the rebels would be trying to reopen the gate, they just sent an X-wing squadron through it.  They were so overpowered that they were unbelievable.  These guys smoked how many storm troopers, and what the hell is up with their guns.  Blind guy has the MIB noisy cricket in his walking stick and hairy guy outguns all but an AT-AT. 

Erso's message was a worthless plot device.  His message should have included the ---goshdarn--- plans, instead it was a message in a bottle to his daughter with the golden nugget of, "If you go get the plans for this thing you can figure out how to blow it up, because it has a weakness."  Well no ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---?  You're telling me that if I have the schematic that I can maybe find a way to take out the giant device?  Really?!  Fucksake.  Not only that, the plans were labeled under his nickname for his daughter which was handy since there was literally no other way to tell which plans you needed than to remember that daddy called you Stardust.  Handy, unless somebody else in the rebellion was trying to get the plans because, ya know, that might be important. 

Also, if you're Jyn and the planet is exploding rather slowly towards your location and you need to beat feat outta there, don't you think you'd grab the USB stick with the hologram of your father you haven't seen in 10 years?  Considering you have time to discuss life plans with Forest Whitaker?  Considering it's why you came there?

Whatever.  I shed a tear when K2-SO bit it, the only character worth a damn.  Did you see how conflicted he was when they made him stab the imperial bot.  Like K2 gonna need some damn therapy after that.  ---smurfing--- Harambe and K2.   

Edit - more rant.  Vader, oh Vader.  Why on earth would you hang out on Mustafar?  Isn't that where you killed your wife and lost like 70% of your body?  Gluten for guilt ridden punishment...not likely.  Enjoy hanging out where you felt like your father figure and mentor betrayed you?  That said, your scenes there are good.  But during the rebel attack you go a pull a ---smurfing--- Yoda vs Dooku?  Didn't we learn this lesson already?  EpIII had ~23 years to let the steam go out of Yoda to ROTJ but seeing Vader bad ass around at the end of Rogue One is separated by literally a car chase with New Hope.  You telling me that in the time it takes to track down Antilles' craft you've become totally different type of badass.  They type that has zero blood lust, kills personally only on whim, and allows the peons to do the heavy fighting - because 20 minutes before you were the breach element for a much larger ship.  It's incongruous.  Sure we got the Vader we wanted, but not the Vader we needed. 

And the death star - let's fire it at Jedha.  Boom, Jedha instantly destroyed.  Let's fire it at the base with all the important records and ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- we need to destroy to prevent the enemy from getting, miss by like 40 miles and give the heroes time to make it down to the beach (wasn't everyone just fighting there?) to hug it out in the glory of the impending death, which looks exactly nothing like the impending death on Jedha.  Wouldn't it still cause giant rolling fuzzy gravity bits of planet to kick up on the horizon?  Nope, just beautiful cinematic whiteness?  Okay. 

---fudgesicle---.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 06:53:38 pm by Le Chuck »

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #100 on: January 03, 2017, 01:45:56 am »
Saw this the day that Carrie passed away, lot of feels about that.  At any rate, I left the theater pleased with the experience.  A few days on and I'm less so, there's a bunch of things that just kinda bother me about this production. 

Can we please have more sets and more locations - christ that was a bit much.

Cassian wasn't believable for me, the movie establishes him as a follow-orders-kill-a-comrade-when-needed-spy-guy and then he spends the whole movie doing the opposite without any real motivation to change except perhaps of the sexual nature. 

Let's introduce Forest Whitaker with body mods that seriously harken to Vader and hint that he's going to be a badass but then age him, give him crazy hair, crazy voice, and a mind reading tentacle monster with a squid for a vagina that makes people crazy...only it doesn't really make people crazy.  Only temporarily crazy.  Whatever, and let's have Saw stay and face his death for like no reason since fighting the empire was his gig.  The character was the lynch pin of the first act and they just ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- all over it.     

The Knights of Jedha were pointless additions that did nothing to drive the story.  Their entire purpose in the movie was to flip a switch that didn't need to be flipped in the first place because obviously the rebels would be trying to reopen the gate, they just sent an X-wing squadron through it.  They were so overpowered that they were unbelievable.  These guys smoked how many storm troopers, and what the hell is up with their guns.  Blind guy has the MIB noisy cricket in his walking stick and hairy guy outguns all but an AT-AT. 

Erso's message was a worthless plot device.  His message should have included the ---goshdarn--- plans, instead it was a message in a bottle to his daughter with the golden nugget of, "If you go get the plans for this thing you can figure out how to blow it up, because it has a weakness."  Well no ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---?  You're telling me that if I have the schematic that I can maybe find a way to take out the giant device?  Really?!  Fucksake.  Not only that, the plans were labeled under his nickname for his daughter which was handy since there was literally no other way to tell which plans you needed than to remember that daddy called you Stardust.  Handy, unless somebody else in the rebellion was trying to get the plans because, ya know, that might be important. 

Also, if you're Jyn and the planet is exploding rather slowly towards your location and you need to beat feat outta there, don't you think you'd grab the USB stick with the hologram of your father you haven't seen in 10 years?  Considering you have time to discuss life plans with Forest Whitaker?  Considering it's why you came there?

Whatever.  I shed a tear when K2-SO bit it, the only character worth a damn.  Did you see how conflicted he was when they made him stab the imperial bot.  Like K2 gonna need some damn therapy after that.  ---smurfing--- Harambe and K2.   

Edit - more rant.  Vader, oh Vader.  Why on earth would you hang out on Mustafar?  Isn't that where you killed your wife and lost like 70% of your body?  Gluten for guilt ridden punishment...not likely.  Enjoy hanging out where you felt like your father figure and mentor betrayed you?  That said, your scenes there are good.  But during the rebel attack you go a pull a ---smurfing--- Yoda vs Dooku?  Didn't we learn this lesson already?  EpIII had ~23 years to let the steam go out of Yoda to ROTJ but seeing Vader bad ass around at the end of Rogue One is separated by literally a car chase with New Hope.  You telling me that in the time it takes to track down Antilles' craft you've become totally different type of badass.  They type that has zero blood lust, kills personally only on whim, and allows the peons to do the heavy fighting - because 20 minutes before you were the breach element for a much larger ship.  It's incongruous.  Sure we got the Vader we wanted, but not the Vader we needed. 

And the death star - let's fire it at Jedha.  Boom, Jedha instantly destroyed.  Let's fire it at the base with all the important records and ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- we need to destroy to prevent the enemy from getting, miss by like 40 miles and give the heroes time to make it down to the beach (wasn't everyone just fighting there?) to hug it out in the glory of the impending death, which looks exactly nothing like the impending death on Jedha.  Wouldn't it still cause giant rolling fuzzy gravity bits of planet to kick up on the horizon?  Nope, just beautiful cinematic whiteness?  Okay. 

---fudgesicle---.

Sounds like you enjoyed the film almost as much as I did with a bunch of assclown kids sitting back of me kicking my seat.  The rebels were really good in the land battles, something akin to our boys fighting in the ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---.  Guess you cannot get better than that.  I just saw the film last night again without the kids, and I really enjoyed it.  Especially the chop and dice scene at the end with Vader's lightsabre.

DrakeTungsten

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2022, 06:36:45 pm
  • I effed with the wrong person!
    • No Quarter - a basic FE, WIP
« Reply #101 on: January 07, 2017, 12:24:07 am »
After the good-guy droid's first few lines, I thought for sure we were going to hear him say "And then of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side"

This was a bad movie. It's crappy lighting didn't put me in mind of moral ambiguity - it just made me think of a hack director that thinks making every scene in his movie look unnaturally overcast is cool.

Need I say spoilers ahead?
"If they take me, you know what to do". The suspense! What could this secret contingency be! What, hide in a freakin' hole? That's it? Wait, here's an adult. Must be a friend of the family coming to recover the daughter, as was pre-arranged. No, the rescuing adult's a coincidence? I don't mind the coincidence, but don't tease me that there's a "you know what to do" in my future, and it's just "little girl hides in a freakin' hole." 

Saw Gerrera was the only character with potential, but that was wasted because he was so stupid and inconsistent. "I'm tired of running" No, if that's your choice, then you're just tired of living. Maybe if Saw had spent his whole life running from city-leveling explosions, that line might make sense. But there was no relevant finality to an on-going struggle which that line implies. The dude was a master guerilla warrior. There must have been some running in his life, but it constituted a minority of his activities. The rest of his life was the fulfilling planning and execution of kick-ass attacks on an evil empire. That's pretty lazy when you can't even bother to provide sensible context for your cliches. And unless I missed something, when Saw decides it's time to pack it in, then the rest of his squad quietly joins him in suicide. My mind filled in the missing protests while in the theater:
"I'm not tired!"
"I like running!"
"If you had room for Che, you've got room for me!"

The rebellion was a disappointment. So noncommittal. I understand what they were trying to do, but the execution of it just made me question why I cheered for these losers in 1977. It was a half-hearted rebellion which half-heartedly called it quits in a half-hearted movie until they heard a few tepid words from the female lead. I didn't know if it was just a small band that was back on board, or if the whole rebellion was back in full swing, or what. Was I supposed to be waiting for this small(?) group to later inspire the rest of the rebellion to get back on board? Or did not-Daisy Ridley just do that all by herself? Part of the problem was that there was a poor sense of space in the rebel HQ, and especially when not-Daisy had her rally-the-troops moment.

The CGI looked fine, but its use was pointless at best. Just cast other actors in the roles. Everybody's going to be too busy critiquing or marveling at the CGI to take their screen presence as characters seriously. 

For the events leading up to ANH, the NPR radio adaptation is quite good, and the first two hours or so covers events just before the movie picks up (Luke listening to the Imperial Navy recruiting ad with the Imperial March playing on it was a geek-out moment).
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 02:28:34 am by DrakeTungsten »
No Quarter - a basic FE, WIP

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #102 on: January 07, 2017, 01:19:05 am »
Suffered from the same problem the prequels did...you know that they're going to get the plans before you even walked into the theater.

Ian

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2021, 01:50:35 am
  • "A day without Laughter is a day wasted"
« Reply #103 on: January 07, 2017, 12:38:26 pm »
It makes A New Hope a better movie. Everything in the opening crawl from A New Hope was in Rogue One. I thought the cast was pretty damn good considering you wont get the character development you usually get from these movies. We don't have a trilogy to like and really know the characters... we just have a fun action movie.

If we are really honest about the Star Wars Franchise... we really only have 2 maybe 3 Great movies out of 8. Lets not act like this is the best franchise in cinema ever. People are way too critical of these movies. 
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

DrakeTungsten

• Offline Offline
« Reply #104 on: January 07, 2017, 01:11:23 pm »
It makes A New Hope a better movie. Everything in the opening crawl from A New Hope was in Rogue One. I thought the cast was pretty damn good considering you wont get the character development you usually get from these movies. We don't have a trilogy to like and really know the characters...
Not every movie is meant to be a cog in a franchise, and many those movies do just fine developing their characters. That's a bizarre notion that you need a movie trilogy for proper character development. If you were fine with the level of characterization in the movie, that's great, but don't pretend it was due to the limitations of only(!) having over two hours of cinema to tell your story.

Ian

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2021, 01:50:35 am
  • "A day without Laughter is a day wasted"
« Reply #105 on: January 09, 2017, 08:28:50 am »
It makes A New Hope a better movie. Everything in the opening crawl from A New Hope was in Rogue One. I thought the cast was pretty damn good considering you wont get the character development you usually get from these movies. We don't have a trilogy to like and really know the characters...
Not every movie is meant to be a cog in a franchise, and many those movies do just fine developing their characters. That's a bizarre notion that you need a movie trilogy for proper character development. If you were fine with the level of characterization in the movie, that's great, but don't pretend it was due to the limitations of only(!) having over two hours of cinema to tell your story.

I was happy. Thanks for recognizing it.  :)

Question now becomes do you think there was just too much fan service in this movie? Is that the reason it bogged down?
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #106 on: January 09, 2017, 08:43:07 am »
Question now becomes do you think there was just too much fan service in this movie? Is that the reason it bogged down?

Yes.

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2024, 12:40:25 pm
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #107 on: January 09, 2017, 09:49:33 am »
I don't understand how people love Ep 7 and hate R1.....  :angry:

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #108 on: January 09, 2017, 10:22:23 am »
I don't hate either, yes I had a rant about it but the film was fun to watch.  What I've found with E7 tho is that it doesn't have the rewatch value for me ANH, ESB, and ROTJ have. 

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #109 on: January 09, 2017, 10:37:49 am »
Force Awakens revisited beloved characters and moved the plot forward.  We already sat through three prequels.  I think those are better than people give them credit for, but they were full of stupid ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- like Boba Fett clone armies and backflip action Yoda.  Rogue One asks us to believe that the Empire defends a key sand island base with their stupid giant robot dogs that are taken down with handheld laser guns.  How come Luke can afford a bad ass hover car that zips along the sand dunes and the Empire can't?

I literally fell asleep during Rogue One in the theater.  That hadn't happened since... Alien vs Predator?

DrakeTungsten

• Offline Offline
« Reply #110 on: January 09, 2017, 08:02:37 pm »
The only category in which R1 tops E7 is in the attempt to be a different kind of SW movie (A fact that I wish would have been more clear before we decided to see it. Even had it been well-made, this kind of movie would still have bored my daughter to tears). R1 was almost amateurish. E7, for all of its many faults, at least competently handled many elements R1 struggled with, and actually excelled on one or two points.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 08:08:13 pm by DrakeTungsten »

Grasshopper

• Offline Offline
« Reply #111 on: January 10, 2017, 08:14:04 am »
Overall, I thought Rogue One was excellent. Sure, if you scrutinise the film closely enough, you’ll find a few plot holes. But they’re pretty minor, and compared to the woeful standards of most Hollywood sci-fi, the story (and the motivations of the characters) holds together pretty well IMHO. In fact, by providing a reasonable explanation why the Death Star had a fatal weakness, it actually makes the plot of A New Hope seem slightly more plausible.

That being said, I do have a few issues with the film.

Firstly, I thought the score was very weak. Towards the end it morphs into the traditional Star Wars score (which is great) but before that point it just sounds like generic film music, unmemorable and uninspiring. With the money they had to spend, they could and should have done a lot better.

The other issue I have, is that many parts of the film felt very rushed. That’s particularly true of the first half where they flit from one random planet to another at breakneck speed. Even the finale (which is supposed to be action-packed) felt a little too busy for my tastes.

If you watch the trailers, you will see a lot of material that didn’t find its way into the final film. That suggests to me that some very aggressive editing took place in order to shoehorn the film into the 2 hours (approx) running time that distributors insist upon these days.

I suspect that a lot of the perceived plot holes are actually a result of over aggressive editing rather that problems with the underlying writing. But I guess we’ll have to wait for the inevitable “director’s cut” before we know whether my theory is true.

gdonovan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #112 on: January 10, 2017, 09:22:15 am »

If you watch the trailers, you will see a lot of material that didn’t find its way into the final film. That suggests to me that some very aggressive editing took place in order to shoehorn the film into the 2 hours (approx) running time that distributors insist upon these days.

Upwards of 40% of the movie was re-shot after it did not test well.

Shooting started before the script was even completed! Disney was in a hurry to get some money back it seems.

Grasshopper

• Offline Offline
« Reply #113 on: January 10, 2017, 09:22:50 am »
The only category in which R1 tops E7 is in the attempt to be a different kind of SW movie (A fact that I wish would have been more clear before we decided to see it. Even had it been well-made, this kind of movie would still have bored my daughter to tears). R1 was almost amateurish. E7, for all of its many faults, at least competently handled many elements R1 struggled with, and actually excelled on one or two points.

The major flaw of The Force Awakens is that its plot is ridiculously similar to the plot of A New Hope. In places it feels more like a remake than a sequel. Seriously, did they really need to blow up a third Death Star?

Unfortunately, that flaw is so serious and (IMHO) unforgivable that, for me at least, it completely undermines all the many things that TFA got right.

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2024, 12:40:25 pm
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #114 on: January 10, 2017, 09:46:42 am »
Preach Grasshopper!

TFA is a joke, the only thing they got right is practical effects and Daisy Fuentes being hot.

whammoed

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:11:47 am
  • Crack don't smoke itself
    • NiceMite
« Reply #115 on: January 10, 2017, 10:28:31 am »

The major flaw of The Force Awakens is that its plot is ridiculously similar to the plot of A New Hope. In places it feels more like a remake than a sequel. Seriously, did they really need to blow up a third Death Star?

Unfortunately, that flaw is so serious and (IMHO) unforgivable that, for me at least, it completely undermines all the many things that TFA got right.

Not just a death star, but a star consuming death star.  Ugh.  I can only suspend my disbelief so far before I'm completely taken out of the movie.  Even if I buy the possibility of a star consuming weapon, the impracticality of it all is just way too stupid.
Unfortunately, the more I think about TFA the less I like it and I can say the same about Rogue One.  Once the "Hey look, the Millenium Falcon!" and "Hey, neat, a witty droid!" moments have faded, there's not much left.

DrakeTungsten

• Offline Offline
« Reply #116 on: January 10, 2017, 11:39:20 am »
Preach Grasshopper!

TFA is a joke, the only thing they got right is practical effects and Daisy Fuentes being hot.

I think you mean Daisy Duke.

CCM

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 08, 2020, 10:08:27 am
« Reply #117 on: January 10, 2017, 11:55:30 am »
We saw it over the weekend,  it was OK at best.   Parts seemed way too rushed, whether that was due to writing or editing doesn't really matter, the final product suffered greatly.  The whole 'tape backup tower' was dumb.   That's really the most advanced way the Empire has to store their sensitive data, in an above ground tower?  That stuff wouldn't be in an underground vault?   And tapes?  Really?

The blind guy was annoying with his incessant mumbling about the force.   

The imperial pilot that had his mind read by whatever the hell that thing was, ended up be way too coherent.   They have this scene and Saw Gerrera makes a point of saying people lose their mind after being read by that thing, then he is confused for 2 seconds when Cassian asks him if he is the pilot.   Then all of a sudden he says ... 'I am the pilot' and he remembers everything about the Empire.   And how does a lowly cargo pilot know so much about imperial communications and random 'master switches' that are just out in the open?

It was entertaining enough for a Saturday afternoon that was 15 degrees outside and we had nothing better to do.

Ond

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 11:41:19 pm
« Reply #118 on: January 16, 2017, 08:26:46 pm »
I saw this on the weekend just gone.  I enjoyed The Force Awakens more, that said the battle scenes over the beach planet were worth the price of admission alone.  Le Chuck's comments on the memory squid made me laugh. Pretty much agree with the rest of his observations.  Wordiness and pace of the start including the whole thing with the pilot bored me a bit.  Not as bad as debates in the senate in EP 2 & 3 but reminded me of it nonetheless.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #119 on: March 19, 2017, 09:30:24 pm »
Bootleg is out.  Movie is a mess.  Peter Cushing looks very convincing on my TV, did they tweak him a little?