Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Man VS Snake Documentary on Netflix!  (Read 4717 times)

Ian

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2021, 01:50:35 am
  • "A day without Laughter is a day wasted"
Man VS Snake Documentary on Netflix!
« on: October 11, 2016, 05:17:34 pm »
Anyone else see this documentary??????

I thought it was the most entertaining "High Score" arcade documentaries out there! What did you guys think!

If you don't know what I am taking about here is a link to some plot stuff...

http://manvssnake.com/
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

monkeybomb

• PM me to find out how to get a custom title like mine!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 03, 2018, 07:16:29 pm
Re: Man VS Snake Documentary on Netflix!
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2016, 08:27:45 pm »
Watched it last night and I absolutely loved it.  I can't imagine staying up that long playing nibbler.   How nice was that guys wife!

The only thing missing was something (anything) about the guy who had the record at the end of the movie.  I have no doubt they followed the right story for the film, but seriously, who was that guy.

Also, for me, King of kong is still #1.  Anytime someone puts everything he has into an explanation about how burgertime parallels life itself, that movie wins. The quote may have been extra footage.   Check it out if you missed it.

Sent from my HTC Desire Eye using Tapatalk

Ian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 10:55:12 pm »
I will surely have to revisit that movie... its been a long time since I saw it. But man! Playing nonstop for 2 days???? Crazy. Go on vacation... leave on probation!
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

acvieluf

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 16, 2024, 02:12:39 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,147793.0.html
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 11:38:57 pm »
Just watched it for the first time the other night, it was awesome!

It made me try out Nibbler. Holy crap that game gets difficult fast! Could only manage 98,000.

Sent from my Atari 2600

8BitMonk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2023, 05:27:00 pm
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2016, 08:25:31 am »
Watched this awhile back and loved it! That guys wife is a saint.  :angel:
Games: Asteroids Deluxe | Atomiswave | Centipede | Championship Sprint | Defender | Donkey Kong | Dig Dug | Frogger | Ikari Warriors | Missile Command | Pac-Man | Pole Position | Robotron | Spy Hunter | Tempest | Super Mario Strikers

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2016, 01:29:25 am »
I just watched it.  Pretty damn good if I do say so myself.  I want to go for a record one of these days.  I would have to find a game that's actually fun to play into those crazy high digits.  Nibbler, Pac-man, Donkey Kong.... all those games suck for marathon plays. 

Ian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2016, 03:18:08 pm »
I just watched it.  Pretty damn good if I do say so myself.  I want to go for a record one of these days.  I would have to find a game that's actually fun to play into those crazy high digits.  Nibbler, Pac-man, Donkey Kong.... all those games suck for marathon plays.

Yeah, the only marathon game I can play is.... nope. I got nothing. My eyeballs would bleed if I played for more than 24 hours.  :dizzy:

monkeybomb

• PM me to find out how to get a custom title like mine!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 03, 2018, 07:16:29 pm
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2016, 03:56:37 pm »
I completely agree and don't think the term marathon actually belongs here. Someone casual walking 3.5 miles an hour would complete a marathon in around seven and a half hours.  I jog just a tiny bit when I walk long distances and went 26 miles in 6.5 hours earlier this year. I'm 40 years old, 5'8"  and 210 lbs. Not exactly athlete material. Most people could do it if they just got used to walking.  I suspect any ups guy, meter reader, water delivery guy, ect. could all do it with ease if they didn't have to stop to do stuff.  Playing an arcade game for 40 hours sounds WAY harder than a marathon.  And it was nibbler.  It was the same stuff over and over again.  It was fast and required concentration the whole time.  I really can't imagine doing it.  I played Morrowind for just about a week straight one time. I fell asleep every day and I died a bunch for about an hour before I fell asleep.  And I was on a comfortable couch with a gamepad.  This nibbler billion point thing is truly truly nuts imo.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2016, 10:57:11 pm »
Yeah man.  That guy might be a mountain of fat, but he has a will of iron. 

I think the craziest I ever did was sitting up to watch my cousins to finish Ghosts n Goblins, yes second quest and all.  We all pooped out around hour 15.   I have done crazy crap like play games for waaay too long, but I can hardly count it as they were all modern games. 

Also why is it every documentary revolving around Twin Galaxies makes the organization seem more and more corrupt?  I feel sorry for the foreign guy.... for 23 years they don't recognize his record.... until it's beat and it's obvious that he won't try to re-claim it.  That one guy cheating was pretty messed up as well.  Yeah that one chip just happened to have a defective timing pin, and it just happened to only make the cut-scenes run double speed.  Tell me another one.   

Ian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2016, 10:12:18 am »
Yeah I tried Nibbler last night... It was a fun game but I don't think my 4-way joystick worked all that well. Maybe it's the game but it really didn't move the snake where I wanted it. Incredibly frustrating  :angry: Only could muster like 10,000 points.

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2016, 09:33:50 pm »
If you are old enough, you will remember nibbler as being the most expensive game to play in the arcades, due to being so hard.  Heck Targ was bad enough.
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2016, 11:49:07 pm »
I remember it being in the local arcade for about a week... then they sent it back because nibbler kind of sucks and nobody played it. 

Rockstead

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 09, 2024, 05:34:13 pm
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2016, 11:06:53 am »
Thanks for recommending this documentary, I really enjoyed it.

Just curious if anyone from that organization frequents this site or KLOV?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 01:12:06 pm by Rockstead »

Ian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2016, 03:53:12 pm »

Also why is it every documentary revolving around Twin Galaxies makes the organization seem more and more corrupt?  I feel sorry for the foreign guy.... for 23 years they don't recognize his record.... until it's beat and it's obvious that he won't try to re-claim it.  That one guy cheating was pretty messed up as well.  Yeah that one chip just happened to have a defective timing pin, and it just happened to only make the cut-scenes run double speed.  Tell me another one.

I agree 100% What is it with that old dude???? I understand its hard to verify a score (especially if it beats your own home grown talent), but then you do the research 25 years later and say, oops yeah there is enough here I will award him the high score... but Tim got it again so no you are no longer the high score holder.

The one thing I didn't understand is during the credits it shows a couple of guys beating the high score but those guys (whoever they are) are not recognized by twin galaxies either. Did they get the high score???   :dizzy:

megamoze

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 20, 2024, 10:21:47 am
  • Loving my cabinet, built summer 2015
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2016, 07:47:53 pm »
I feel sorry for the foreign guy.... for 23 years they don't recognize his record.... until it's beat and it's obvious that he won't try to re-claim it.

That was my take as well.  They refused to acknowledge his score until it didn't matter.  I got that impression from King of Kong as well.  It felt like a lot of political bias happening in terms of which scores to recognize.

Still, great documentary though.  Not QUITE up there with King of Kong (although maybe less biased?) but still very entertaining.

UEDan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 10, 2019, 05:54:08 am
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2016, 11:36:35 pm »
The one thing I didn't understand is during the credits it shows a couple of guys beating the high score but those guys (whoever they are) are not recognized by twin galaxies either. Did they get the high score???   :dizzy:

Like King of Kong. Both high scores were later beaten.
But the protagonists of Kong and Nibbler probably had a richer story than the new record holders. You gotta fill an hour an half with something watchable and dramatic.

Good movie.
I'll play Devil's advocate. I don't think Dwayne cheated. He doesn't seem like the type to be THAT into electronics. He genuinely seems like the type of gamer who is naturally gifted and quickly adapts to a game and is so into the gameplay to even notice the cut-scene speeds.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2016, 11:42:49 pm »
He's a video game repair guy.  He probably spends half of his day re-programming eeprom chips just like the defective one.  My guess is, just like one of the inspectors suggested, he probably ran across a glitched chip by accident, noticed what it was doing to the game, and purposefully installed it. 

Ian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2016, 12:30:36 am »

Like King of Kong. Both high scores were later beaten.
But the protagonists of Kong and Nibbler probably had a richer story than the new record holders. You gotta fill an hour an half with something watchable and dramatic.

I understand that... but Tim is still the record holder according to Twin Galaxies website.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:43:57 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2016, 08:10:12 am »

MFW another damned movie about Walter Day and Billy Mitchell.

MFW I watched another movie that didn't profile the person that actually had the record.

MFW my head is bigger than Billy Mitchell's.

MFW the mountain of fat is smaller.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 08:20:48 am by pbj »