Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Newbie question- ONE Button turn on for EVERYTHING (lights, computer, screen)  (Read 1743 times)

80sarcadegames

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2024, 09:03:51 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
I know that they have power strips that are "smart" that help with this goal, but how do
you set up your arcade cabinet if you want everything to turn on with ONE button.

By everything I mean:

1. Marquee/LED lights
2. Computer
3. LED control panel buttons
4. Screen
5. Electronic coin box

The screen question is the most perplexing to me. I'm not going to use a CRT that "automatically turns on when you plug the power cord into
the wall ie not power button on it". I'm using a LCD 27" computer monitor that has a power button on it (ie when you plug the power cable into an outlet, it does not turn on until you turn on the power button/switch on the monitor).

I know that you can change the CMOS on some computers that automatically turns on/off the LCD monitor when the computer is turned on.

Are there any other solutions if your computer does not have that option?

Titchgamer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
1) will turn on with the power if plugged into a power strip

2) you can run the power switch of the PC through a relay that simulates you pressing the button (has to energise and de-energise quickly)

You can also get a computer PSU to energise straight away on power up by shorting 2 of the connections on the mobo connector.
But I dont think this would be practical for use with a pc (never tried it)

3) depends how they are connected, if using a pacled or similar board they will come on with the PC

4) if unable to start with the PC use the same option as 2.

5) again depends how its wired but again may come on with the pc if you use the pc psu.

Personally though I prefer to have a power button external (under my cp in my case)
So you can power on/off the pc separately.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:19:05 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
I'm using a LCD 27" computer monitor that has a power button on it (ie when you plug the power cable into an outlet, it does not turn on until you turn on the power button/switch on the monitor).
Just to be clear, have you tried:

1. Doing the power-on un-plug/re-plug test?
-- Plug in the montor.
-- Turn the monitor on.
-- Un-plug the monitor.
-- Wait a bit then plug in the monitor again.
-- If it comes back on without pressing the power button, the monitor will work in a slave socket of a smart strip.   ;D

2. Checking the LCD menus and owners/service manual to see if there is a "power restore" option. (may be worded differently)

By everything I mean:

1. Marquee/LED lights
2. Computer
3. LED control panel buttons
4. Screen
5. Electronic coin box
2 and 4 both need an AC outlet.

Do 1, 3, and 5 need an AC outlet, or are any of them powered by the computer PSU?

Scott