Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Rowe Model 89 Sprag wheel issues  (Read 581 times)

Switchback71

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Rowe Model 89 Sprag wheel issues
« on: October 07, 2016, 05:54:59 am »
Hey guys, my name is Shane...I hail from Fargo, North Dakota.  First jukebox..got a heck of a deal on it..and around 500 records..basically free.  Anywho...it didnt work,..but I did order a manual..and apparently only a download version..and just havnt printed it all out. But, I must say..what a worthless manual. Not even a mention of codes really..more of a owners manual than a repair manual. But..I got it all working..like a top..gutted it and cleaned everything..looks brand new.But the issue was, basically if you entered #122 to play..it would play one number off...123. And gradually 2 off..3 off..etc So the little gear on the sprag was pretty beat up..ordered a new one..and installed it..go through the set up procedure..optical eyes etc. But when I fire it up..it doesn't spin..I can hear the motor run for approx 10 or so seconds..then error 30 or 34...I had no basket issues before..it ran perfect..except for the playing the wrong song..which at this point..Im ok with..atleast it was working. Sooo..any ideas guys??
Thanks,
Shane

ami-man

• Offline Offline
Re: Rowe Model 89 Sprag wheel issues
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2016, 05:23:14 am »
Hi Shane,

The information in the R-89 manual was very sparse with regards to the codes, they were included in the R-90, R-91 onward's manuals.

I presume that you have fitted new stem bushing (four) into the sprag wheel!
Have you tried holding in the sprag solenoid and seeing if the basket turns by hand?

In order to change the sprag wheel you must have removed the complete sprag assembly, check that the cables are connected correctly and the the sprag linkage is adjusted correctly and is clearing the sprag wheel, the clearance is about a spark plug gap 25 thou.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Offline Offline
  • Technician
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2016, 12:52:10 am »
The R-89 had the "Field Service & Parts Manual" as the usual manual for the machine. Rowe also issued a "Shop Service Manual" (Rowe part number 3-65355-11 published in June of 1985) covering the models R-88 and R-89 jukeboxes. Those manuals include full size (not folded) 11 x 17 schematics and parts lists of all circuit boards contained in the machines and complete wiring diagrams of the machines. Error codes are listed too. You can see how big the manual is by the pictures.

The Shop Service Manuals are very expensive. They sold new for $100 back in the day. To my knowledge, they have never been reproduced due to the fact all pages are 11 x 17 and double sided. There's about 100 double sided pages in the manual. The last several pages list Rowe transistor, diode, and integrated circuit part numbers cross referenced to the industry standard numbers to make replacements easy.

I'm lucky to own these original manuals.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 01:05:53 am by Ken Layton »

ami-man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 06:00:17 am »
Hi Ken,

I also have several of these shop manuals and the last ones I purchased are the R-90 manuals
They are a bit in depth for the layman, and some of the circuit diagrames do have errors, but they are a good reference for a jukebox engineer.

Regards
Alan

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31