Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Taito Ice Cold Beer scratch build  (Read 27963 times)

Xiaou2

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 12, 2023, 05:41:19 pm
  • NOM NOM NOM
Re: Taito Ice Cold Beer scratch build
« Reply #40 on: December 26, 2016, 11:52:43 pm »
Mcpit,

Even with your sanding... that drop off is too steep at the connection between pipes.   You need thinner tubes.  There is no way around this, as playability will be severely hampered from that drop off.

Im not sure if this is the correct diameter..  as Im going by sight / memory.     But here you can see the tubes at a local hobby shop,  that fit into each other with perfect precision.   Tight enough to fit well.. yet loose enough to slide freely.   I used the same kind of tubes to rebuild my ICB machine.   (had to sell it)

The company seems to have a website,  and Ive also seen them selling on Amazon.  (not sure if its a reseller, or them directly)

With a small amount of metal polish,  these babies will look like a million bucks.

The height difference is like a fingernails difference.   You wont even notice it, as the ball rolls over it with quick ease.   Anything greater than this... and you will certainly have ball-sticking issues... and control problems.

*edit

Also note.. that ICB's often had failure issues at the connection joints where the pipes are attached.   To Eliminate this on my machine.. after I rebuilt mine,  I filled the ends of the tubes with hot glue to stiffen the pipes up.   I think I also glued and or affixed the tubes with glue to the brackets as well.  Filling in any areas, to firm up the whole thing.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 11:58:42 pm by Xiaou2 »

McPit

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2023, 05:39:37 am
  • Robots are coming
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2017, 02:00:27 am »
Hi mate,

Even with your sanding... that drop off is too steep at the connection between pipes.   You need thinner tubes.  There is no way around this, as playability will be severely hampered from that drop off.

It actually works nice! Contrary to the original, I made sure the outside tube was *no shorter* than the full width when in horizontal position. As a result the ball never needs to "climb" the joint. The outside tube always gets "pushed under" the ball when the slope changes from left to right.. if that makes sense..
Result is pretty smooth!

Im not sure if this is the correct diameter..  as Im going by sight / memory.     But here you can see the tubes at a local hobby shop,  that fit into each other with perfect precision.   Tight enough to fit well.. yet loose enough to slide freely.   I used the same kind of tubes to rebuild my ICB machine.   (had to sell it)
 The company seems to have a website,  and Ive also seen them selling on Amazon.  (not sure if its a reseller, or them directly)
 With a small amount of metal polish,  these babies will look like a million bucks.

You're right I had great troubles finding the right material and diameters and ended up going with aluminium and slightly larger and thicker unfortunately.
Whereas the ones you found look like spot on! I'll see how far I can go with my current setup. If need be I'll switch to yours, now I have the exact reference numbers! Thanks heaps for that!!

Also note.. that ICB's often had failure issues at the connection joints where the pipes are attached.   To Eliminate this on my machine.. after I rebuilt mine,  I filled the ends of the tubes with hot glue to stiffen the pipes up.   I think I also glued and or affixed the tubes with glue to the brackets as well.  Filling in any areas, to firm up the whole thing.

Lucky consequence of my thicker tubes is that they're quite stiff and strong. My problem at the moment is more that the side brackets don't slide smoothly enough (just too much grip + belt too stiff + steppers too weak), I'll post a video.  ;)

Thanks!

McPit

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2023, 05:39:37 am
  • Robots are coming
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2017, 02:06:03 am »
Ball rod control first test.
Stepper motors a little too weak for now, you can hear the left one missing steps. Will need to address that, somehow.

thiagomax

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 28, 2024, 12:35:38 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2017, 04:06:53 pm »
you can share your project?

luquio2008

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 05, 2018, 07:14:16 am
« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2018, 11:44:09 am »
you can share your project?

Or the image to be able to print and make the holes?

I need if possible playfield design please.

thank you very much!

hyunkhel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 20, 2022, 01:51:58 pm
« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2019, 03:20:58 am »
Bravo! Excellent work :applaud:

Is there a chance to have the project plans with the design and the program?  :notworthy:

I have a software version but it will be so cool to have a mechanical version

Thank You Very Much  :D

plastiqmanb

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 21, 2019, 11:29:34 am
  • Learning!
« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2019, 01:13:50 pm »
Seconded on the electrical work I'd gladly supply some commissions for the info!  I'd like to build one myself but get hung up on the software elements.

tnjent98

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2019, 04:54:05 pm
« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2019, 04:16:31 pm »
wow, great project!  Can I get the full size printout of the hole locations on the game board? I will pay for postage!
thanks
tom

lucky_mike

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2020, 11:23:15 pm
« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2020, 10:44:41 pm »
@McPit this is super cool!  I've been trying to obtain the original sound files for both ICB and Zeke's Peak, do you mind sharing how you were able to extract them from the original rom?

sjleto

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2023, 09:39:09 am
« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2023, 03:51:00 pm »
Hi - Awesome build. Would love to see some updated videos and pictures! I am just starting my own. I found someone locally who was selling the glass for $50. That really kick started the project. I have a few questions I hope you wouldn't mind answering:

Did you ever look into using screw rods instead of the pulley system?

How has the Arduino held up during normal game play?

Do you happen to know the angle of the backboard?

Like the post above are you able to share the audio files or describe how you pulled them from a ROM? I tired a few times without luck.

Do you have a more detailed component list - stepper motor driver, audio shield, amp, power supply?

Thank you!