Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Edgecrusher's 4 player CRT cab project  (Read 1494 times)

Edgecrusher

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 17, 2023, 04:01:16 am
  • This is the way
Edgecrusher's 4 player CRT cab project
« on: March 13, 2023, 03:12:30 pm »
Hello everyone. Just wanted to share my progress with my 4 player cab build. Hopefully this is the appropriate place.
I'm not a sophisticated arcade builder. I only started this hobby a couple years ago. I have completed one Galaga/Mrs.Packman cocktail table with a CRT. It's kinda limited in what you can play on it. Especially multi player unless you can find games that flip. So I wanted to try building a 4 player despite everyone's warning against it. Some of these pictures have been posted elsewhere. However, I have finished the artwork and wanted to show that off. I spent a year airbrushing "Eddie" from an Iron Maiden cover "Somewhere in Time". I was planning on a background and more plus painting the scene from "Stranger in a Strange Land" on the other side, but it just takes too much time. At this point I'm working on the control panel and trying to decide on what to use for my encoder. This will be a Big Box PC-driven mame emulator cabinet and will only run 4 player games.

Mike A

• Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 06:54:19 am
  • This plan is foolproof
Re: Edgecrusher's 4 player CRT cab project
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2023, 04:36:29 pm »
Up the irons.

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:59:55 am
  • I believe I may need an intervention
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2023, 05:27:30 pm »
I saw the Maiden show from that tour back in New Haven, CT when I was in high school- a loooong time ago.

That is some unreal airbrush work.
Always love a good Eddie image.

What games did you build that for specifically?
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

Edgecrusher

• Offline Offline
  • This is the way
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2023, 07:57:34 pm »
Thanks PL1 for putting this in the correct forum.

Edgecrusher

• Offline Offline
  • This is the way
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2023, 08:06:11 pm »
I saw the Maiden show from that tour back in New Haven, CT when I was in high school- a loooong time ago.

That is some unreal airbrush work.
Always love a good Eddie image.

What games did you build that for specifically?

Im open to others, but my original idea was to have TMNT, Gauntlet, all the X-men,...seems like I'm forgetting something... Those are the mains that I planned on but if there's other requests then I'll add. I'm not sure how it will work out with my CP layout but I'd like to have the twin joystick games playable as well like robotron and others. At the time I had 3 large CRTs and wanted to do something with at least one of them. This is a nice trinitron tube I was able to RGB mod using Grooveymame. I have a bunch of tvs to mod in the future and they will all be two player cabs but I wanted one 4 player for when my three brother in laws visit. Also in the original plan I have a trackball and spinners I was going to incorporate into this CP but I've decided a 4 player cab is complicated enough and I'm saving those for a Tempest cabinet. Not sure about the track ball?

IF ANYONE HAS SUGGESTIONS OR EXPERIENCES WITH BUILDING 4 PLAYERS PLEASE SHARE! Especially regarding encoders. I was going to go with an IPAC-4 but I've heard some good experiences with the Amazon zero delay boards  which is making it hard to decide.

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:59:55 am
  • I believe I may need an intervention
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2023, 01:12:50 am »
Do yourself a favor and don't bother with zero delay boards- they are misnamed.

An I-PAC or a board from groovygamegear is the only way to go unless you build your own arduino style.

And don't forget Trog!
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

Edgecrusher

• Offline Offline
  • This is the way
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2023, 02:30:08 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions Bobby