Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Monolith - 55inch vertical screen - project name "go for broke"  (Read 128064 times)

system01

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 04, 2023, 08:06:55 pm
  • System Idle Processes are the Devil's Playthings
Re: Monolith - 55inch vertical screen - project name "go for broke"
« Reply #360 on: May 09, 2017, 05:58:36 pm »
I forgot to mention 1 thing. What's the best way to protect the control panel?

I read that polycarbonate laminate is the way to go and when I mention this to my mate, he said there are a few types and thicknesses... What do I need to tell him to get the right finish?

Two different things here:

The stickers can have a PC laminate.  It is very tolerant and has some roughness to it.  Kinda like a DVD case.  My cocktail has this with nothing over it and has stood up for years with no signs of wear.

The plastic slab you screw on top of everything... IMO you should go with Acrylic (plaxiglas).  PC (lexan) can stop a bullet but will be smudged with scratches within a month.  Acrylic is also at least half the cost (in the US).  Look for AR acrylic (abrasion resistant) and see if it has a slight texture to it.  I've seen some with and without.  Acrylic is also easier to polish when it does get too messy.

I have some of these (http://www.onsrud.com/product/Item/m/itemDetail.html?itemId=70-633) because I drill a lot of 1/4-20 in plastic.  You still have to be gentile, but not like you're drilling glass.  If you're using CNC (as I do), you should have no problem if you get your feeds/speeds even remotely right.  The worst is if you run too high rpm/too slow feed you just start melting everything.

chito

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2023, 12:29:26 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,151843.0.html
« Reply #361 on: May 09, 2017, 08:08:27 pm »
I can't use a layer of plexiglass/Acrylic because the thickness is already the width of the t-moulding. 18mm t-moulding with 3mm composite board, 12mm mdf then 3mm composite board again.

so I want to laminate the artwork with something to protect it on the control panel. And i think this where I'm getting confused, so you can coat the vinyl with polycarbonate which is good, and there is polycarbonate as a sheet that sits on top of the control panel which is bad.... is that right?

system01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #362 on: May 09, 2017, 08:16:10 pm »
Not good or bad, just... what you want.  The PC laminate on the vinyl sticker is done at the printer.  You can't apply it later.

My t-mold was too thick also.  I bought the wider stuff and wrapped tape around half a razor blade and cut it down.  The taped part let me slide it on my "nice" surfaces.

<edit> If you're concerned with color, the PC laminate on vinyl sicker method will dull the color a bit.  If you want the most pop, you will want smooth stickers and an acrylic "slab" overlay.  You can see my PC vinyl here: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,85969.msg961852.html#msg961852.  It is not glossy and you can see the files provided above a few posts.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 08:26:24 pm by system01 »

chito

• Offline Offline
« Reply #363 on: May 09, 2017, 08:31:43 pm »
My t-mold was too thick also.  I bought the wider stuff and wrapped tape around half a razor blade and cut it down.  The taped part let me slide it on my "nice" surfaces.

My problems is the opposite. with all the layers that make up the control panel, my t-moulding is not thick enough. so I can't add a protective sheet/slab. I need to laminate the artwork.

The PC laminate on the vinyl sticker is done at the printer.  You can't apply it later.
surfaces.
yeah, that's no problem. I'm printing the sticker myself at my mate's workshop. He is a sign maker.

So is the PC slab the one that scratches etc or the laminate? or am I totally barking up the wrong tree? what is the best way to laminate the artwork? I read on this forum somewhere that lexan get ruined when you spill something on it.... not sure it thats a sheet/slab or a laminate.

Typefighter01

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 29, 2023, 09:10:21 pm
  • Back I guess...
« Reply #364 on: May 09, 2017, 09:01:59 pm »
My problems is the opposite. with all the layers that make up the control panel, my t-moulding is not thick enough. so I can't add a protective sheet/slab. I need to laminate the artwork.

Just to clarify...there is two different approaches here, a hard, non adhesive, clear lexan/polycarb/acrylic overlay that would need to be CNC'd or routed and would sit on top of artwork and would be held down with the buttons and or some sort of mounting hardware and the second approach which is some sort of flexible, adhesive backed, pressure sensitive overlay that would be permanently attached to the artwork. What I get from you is your asking about the latter. This is very commonly done to protect art and most sign and printing shops should be able to do this for you.

Here is an example of the sort of product I am referring to. http://www.masterlaminator.com/us/polycarbonate-laminates-c-13_55_71/54-velvetgloss-polycarbonate-overlaminating-film-p-54.html#.WRJjF4jyvIU

Not suggesting the product in the link per say, just giving it to you as reference. I have a cheap Chinese cold roll laminator and one of the laminates I use is textured and it looks exactly like the protective films you see on some arcade panels.

Loving the build BTW  :cheers:

system01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #365 on: May 09, 2017, 09:30:38 pm »
So is the PC slab the one that scratches etc or the laminate? or am I totally barking up the wrong tree? what is the best way to laminate the artwork? I read on this forum somewhere that lexan get ruined when you spill something on it.... not sure it thats a sheet/slab or a laminate.

That's up to what materials you can get.  Like i said, I have the thin textured PC laminated with my stickers and it's very resilient.  Actually, that's the only protective option I had.  Maybe you can do something glossy and slightly thicker for laminate(?)  I don't know.  I DO know that polished PC sheets will scratch just looking at them.  What you have at hand (or your buddy's shop) will probably be different.  Polished PC sheets are only really used for one thing... safety windows.  Motorcycle helmet visors: PC, so it won't shatter in your eyes. Race car windows:  PC, for the same.  Airport security windows: PC, for the same.

thePrimativ

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 13, 2023, 04:27:42 pm
  • **** Value YOUR Gaming Heritage ****

The PC laminate on the vinyl sticker is done at the printer.  You can't apply it later.
surfaces.
yeah, that's no problem. I'm printing the sticker myself at my mate's workshop. He is a sign maker.

Just my two cents worth
I get all my vinyl printed and laminated for work, by my mate who is a sign maker and it doesn't seem to dull it noticeably. And it's super tough I've put stickers on my van rear window and been there 3 years, still holds up well even with the wiper running across it.
The laminate isn't any thicker than the vinyl

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just because I don't care doesn't mean that I don't understand..... Homer Simpson

stigzler

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 11, 2022, 03:01:48 pm
  • It seemed like a good idea at the time....
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #367 on: May 23, 2017, 05:51:29 pm »
It's gone quiet again.... I like it when it goes quiet - it means stuff's happening... :)

chito

• Offline Offline
« Reply #368 on: May 23, 2017, 06:52:31 pm »
yes indeed :)
ive spent the last couple of weeks waiting for parts to come in and I've made changes that I will updated people about soon. still working out exactly how im going to do it.

chito

• Offline Offline
« Reply #369 on: May 30, 2017, 08:36:20 am »
And done, 3 7inch IPS screens added, designs updated, new cad files created. All the parts arrived and I was able to measure and design a solution, Shipping parts from China takes so long!

Last change before final assembly. when I was creating the artwork for the control panel it bothered me that these screens looked lifeless as just artwork (pretty sure stigzler inceptioned me). When stigzler mentioned the same concern I thought I might as well do this because at this point. If I don't and regret it later ill be pissed lol. Plus my brain was nagging me until I saw this idea through.

I don't think having the screens there are any more distracting than the original artwork. Sure it might be brighter but illuminated buttons will blanace it out also the animations won't be anything too loud, kind of like this (which is actually from the movie Prometheus)

The quality of these cheap IPS screens looks great. Each screen has a custom harness that screws into the control panel, on the back of each harness are the 3 pcbs that run the screen: the controller board, controls and Raspberry pi Zero. The raspberry pi runs the video on a loop using this tutorial from Adafruit.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 06:32:05 pm by chito »

mourix

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:23:43 pm
« Reply #370 on: May 30, 2017, 03:24:14 pm »
Wow, 3 IPS screens just for show. The verdict is still out on whether that's genius, or just plain stupid :dizzy:

Can't wait to see what this mad machine will look like in the end.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:33:13 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #371 on: May 30, 2017, 03:52:22 pm »

Ian

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2021, 01:50:35 am
  • "A day without Laughter is a day wasted"
« Reply #372 on: May 30, 2017, 03:57:53 pm »
 :applaud:

Go Chito! Go for broke!
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:02:22 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
:applaud:

Go Chito! Go for broke!

Oh, he'll be broke all right...

***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

morton

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2021, 09:36:59 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #374 on: May 31, 2017, 08:55:44 am »
For anyone who isn't familiar with the thread, this cabinet began as a custom build for Andre Roussimov, better known as Andre the Giant. Sadly the OP has been so busy in the shop cutting wood and finishing this build he hasn't found out the tragic news that our dear Andre left us in 1993.

rablack97

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2022, 06:50:10 pm
  • If you don't try, you have no chance at innovation
« Reply #375 on: May 31, 2017, 11:20:56 am »
so 3 screens and 3 pi setups im presuming.

don't let the haters steer you off man, most people lose site of why people do these types of peripherals.  Mainly its a just to see if you can cleanly pull it off.  Your intent was a wow factor, and first look it will be a wow. factor.

You might consider using one of the screens to show controls or game info, so it will serve a functional purpose.

Having just built a vpin, you get so deep into the build that you might as well do it right while your in the zone and then the ideas start flying.  However only a group enthusiast nerds will know or even care to understand what's going on underneath the hood.

My advice is buy things that wont be going obsolete anytime soon and if so buy at least 2 of them.  In this wiring frenzy your apt to fry something and or something will just go out for no reason at all.

Keep on your path, i was skeptical at first too, but after seeing the execution, its gonna be a doozey.

stigzler

• Offline Offline
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #376 on: May 31, 2017, 02:02:20 pm »
My advice is buy things that wont be going obsolete anytime soon and if so buy at least 2 of them.  In this wiring frenzy your apt to fry something and or something will just go out for no reason at all.

This. After having to wait a month for a replacement screen for my 7" controls display due to it being shipped from china - despite it only costing 57 pence. I got two - stockpile them for when they need replacing in 10 years time + no longer available.

btw - what a great idea to include those displays. Just hold off a day or two before signing off on the RPi idea - just knocking something together my end to invite you to consider something else....

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #377 on: May 31, 2017, 02:33:40 pm »
The more features you add to the project, the less likely it is to be completed. Feature creep kills a project more often than not.

Monkeyvoodoo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 12, 2024, 08:00:58 pm
  • I swear I can stop at one. Or two.
    • threefoldhorse Custom
The more features you add to the project, the less likely it is to be completed. Feature creep kills a project more often than not.
That and the project falling of the work table

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

stigzler

• Offline Offline
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #379 on: May 31, 2017, 04:03:27 pm »
or in this case, falling onto the maker?

chito

• Offline Offline
« Reply #380 on: May 31, 2017, 06:38:59 pm »
thanks for the support and advice guys.

I thought about it for a few days before I ordered the parts, would it work, would it look tacky, how much extra would it costs etc. I've already got the material so there's not much extra cost there. it was just the screens and Rpi zeros really. totally get that it's not everyone's cup of tea, but since the control panel will have illuminated buttons I think this will work, much like having an illuminated trackball (or 3)

not to worry about creep or the project going off the rails. all the parts have already arrived all I need to do is cut the new cad parts out. which might take a day. but this build is pretty much ready for assembly. it's just a shame that all the wood is at my mate's workshop which is sooo far away. there's a public holiday in 2 weekends time. with a 4 day weekend I'm hoping to knock this out.

this is the last change, im pretty happy with the rest. the only other thing im looking at is the logo that's on the bezel. i want it to light up, just don't know how just yet. maybe some backlighting? don't know, for now, I've taken it out of the artwork and ill prob create an acrylic led sign the will go across the top like this

even if this doesn't happen I'm pretty happy with it overall so this logo thing is a low low priority change
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 10:02:04 pm by chito »

chito

• Offline Offline
« Reply #381 on: May 31, 2017, 10:03:49 pm »
PS saw this on my facebook about a kickstarter. might make for funny tokens (if you don't have young kids, even if you do all good lol)

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #382 on: June 01, 2017, 03:14:53 am »
No.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 03:18:28 am by Mike A »

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #383 on: June 01, 2017, 11:57:15 am »
 :whap UHHH No

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:51:51 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #384 on: June 01, 2017, 12:07:48 pm »
Yes.

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:55:20 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #385 on: June 01, 2017, 02:14:10 pm »
Maybe. I don't know.... Can you repeat the question?

stigzler

• Offline Offline
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #386 on: June 01, 2017, 03:09:18 pm »
My reading of that was that Mike neither gives 2 shits nor a flying fuk. I'd wager he couldn't give a Two Penny Toss either.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
$7 for 3 "tokens"? Griff-richer.

gamepimp

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 01:38:47 pm
$7 for 3 "tokens"? Griff-richer.

That's nuts! Talk about a huge profit margin. Wish I would've thought of that. LOL! As they say "A fool and his money are soon parted".  ;)

stigzler

• Offline Offline
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #389 on: June 02, 2017, 08:00:17 am »
So, if you could run a couple of cables from 2 of those displays to your rig, you could achieve something like this:

In my rig, I just have a lightweight GPU to run the two info/controls displays, leaving my my GPU doing all the emulator heavy lifting work..

chito

• Offline Offline
« Reply #390 on: June 02, 2017, 09:24:59 am »
A very interesting idea with a lot of potential. Can you run 3 screens?

I noticed the Prometheus vid was a little choppy on the bottom left screen, is that because you edited it?
how did you get the Prometheus vid to have all the extra graphics like logos and characters? is that done in real time or did you edit the vid and have different versions of the Prometheus vid for the loaded game?

stigzler

• Offline Offline
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #391 on: June 02, 2017, 10:34:26 am »
Well sure you could. CPWizBiz handles two screens dynamically populated. You could easy get something else populating the third. In the setup of the video, this'd be possible by using the GameEx plugin MarqueeMasher, given you another display, giving you 3 game/system related screens.

Read the comments below the youtube vid - the choppiness is due to other factors.

All the extra content is dynamically loaded on top of the video (in real time). So, CPWizBiz looks for the game logo, system logo/picture using the parameters supplied to it in the folders specified. Thus, you essentially set up the display once with placeholders and point CPWizBiz to the right folders and it does the rest, pulling in the relevant images/text/animations into the placeholders on receipt of a new game/system. On this vid, the gif (tank/xenomorph), scroller (game details text) and images (game logo/system logo/developer logo) are all automatically populated over the top.

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #392 on: June 02, 2017, 01:18:55 pm »
Stigzler, t his is exactly what i was referring to...making the screens functional makes them worth the effort.

With all these screen you might want to to look at pinball X as a front end as it allows you to use 4 screens for all sorts of goodies, can be used for mame games as well.

TerryRed has a demo on this for his Pinkadia cab.

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 11:02:52 pm
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #393 on: June 02, 2017, 08:08:22 pm »
I hate everything about this. :P
%Bartop

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #394 on: June 02, 2017, 09:31:59 pm »
I have a feeling that playing arcade games is a secondary feature on this thing.

chito

• Offline Offline
« Reply #395 on: June 02, 2017, 09:37:04 pm »
I hate everything about this. :P
luckily im not making it for you then ;) totally get its not for everyone. and im being very experimental here

About the extra functional screens, the whole point of having the screen in portrait orientation was to not need additional screens. Everything will be on the overaly: all instructions, control layout, marquee, bezel artwork etc. And i still plan to do it that way. the control panel has illuminated buttons where only the ones used in the game will light up and for neogeo game they will be the right colours. Im thinking that with a video background it might be cool to repeat the button layout and maybe some game info text and maybe cheats/codes like secret characters on fighting games etc
for now Ill use the RPi Zeros and loop a simple video. I'm thinking it will take awhile to explore the other idea

I have a feeling that playing arcade games is a secondary feature on this thing.
well it will also have consoles. it more of an overall gaming cabinet
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 09:53:11 pm by chito »

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
But can you play Galaga on any of the mini screens?

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #397 on: June 02, 2017, 10:47:50 pm »

yotsuya

• Offline Offline

That is one bad ass video, my man!!

chito

• Offline Offline
« Reply #399 on: June 03, 2017, 11:18:55 pm »
lol love the vid! how people find this stuff is awesome.

well I have raspberry pi's running them so technically possible, just wouldn't have audio. but yeah thats a bit much even for me lol
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 11:20:29 pm by chito »