Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Monolith - 55inch vertical screen - project name "go for broke"  (Read 127657 times)

rablack97

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2022, 06:50:10 pm
  • If you don't try, you have no chance at innovation
Re: Pixel Playcade - 55inch vertical screen - project name "go for broke"
« Reply #80 on: October 08, 2016, 10:46:01 am »
This was as of 11/2015, when a member of KLOV asked if the project died.

I think it did. My funds were returned a while back. I too was so looking forward to this mod. I sure hope he or someone else perfects this technology and comes out with it again soon.

chito

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2023, 12:29:26 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,151843.0.html
« Reply #81 on: October 08, 2016, 11:18:14 am »
yeah i came across illumicade while I was researching for this. he used El tape, ive already explained why i wouldnt use EL tape.

If your stuck on the idea of fast n furious, look up illumicade (no longer in business - hint hint)
fast n furious look? have u been in an arcade?? how about the arcade look... modern cabinets in particular.

if you're implying that he isnt in business because its a bad idea then i think youve over looked that he tried to create a comercial product, which takes heaps of time, money and resources. hence why things like kickstarter exsist.
his venture failed because he gave up and had supplier issues. not because it was a bad idea or he couldn't get it to work. there certainly was demand for the product

Last update I had from him was that he could not get the product made correctly, and that he will refund the money this month.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 11:26:58 am by chito »

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #82 on: October 08, 2016, 08:50:04 pm »
Yessir, i've been to dave and busters plenty of times, the difference is the modern arcades are surrounded by their brothers and sisters.  This is going in your house im assuming alone.

Look at it like this, you remember the big thing back in the day was to underlite your car, nobody does that any more, or have 101 lit buttons on a CP, nobody does that any more.

Nobody is saying what your doing or what he did was a bad idea, these are just helpful posts of information.  If you want to put a halo around the thing with a ferris wheel, its all good.

Yes there was demand for a small niche market, and at 400.00 a kit a very deep pocketed niche market.  A majority of the posts mentioned TRON as well, if you want modern and different maybe try edgelit etched plexi.

Either way good luck  :cheers:

chito

• Offline Offline
« Reply #83 on: October 09, 2016, 06:44:07 am »
yeah thats okay. Just having an arcade machine at home standouts already. Besides, it aligns with 2 of my goals for this build
  • strong presence in my living room
  • a slice of arcade at home (lights and sounds)

you say that no one does it anymore but ive already shown and talked about multiple examples of brand new machines in the market that do. Sure for a home build you may not want something that stands out as much, Arcade are designed to stand out, they've just gotten better at it. progressed beyond a lit up marquee and a nice cabinet. Just go to your arcade or even better check out
the BOSA Awards 2016 (Best Of Show Arcade Machine Awards) winners:
- tall and bright, vertical screen, illuminated CP, Led strips on either side of screen
MotoGP Arcade - illuminated t-moulding
- tall and bright, vertical screen, illuminated t-moulding, illuminated CP, RGB illuminated bezel
- tall and bright, vertical screen, illuminated t-moulding, illuminated CP
- tall and bright, vertical screen, RGB Led strips on either side of screen, illuminated CP
- tall and bright, vertical screen, illuminated CP, illuminated bezel

Yes there was demand for a small niche market, and at 400.00 a kit a very deep pocketed niche market.
This is the prob with EL tape and its has other problems. I've started prototyping this already
Found clear silicone 300g - $5 AUD ($3.79 USD)
rgb led strip 5M ($13 AUD/$9.86 USD) with controller and power adapter - $26 AUD ($19.73 USD)

this means that this method/solution would cost about $5-6 AUD or $3.76-4.55 USD the meter (3.3 feet)
A huge difference

Using silicone solves the issue of repairs and is so easy to work with. You can easily remove it if you need to later on
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 06:47:16 am by chito »

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #84 on: October 09, 2016, 10:38:23 am »
Innovation is good man, and you've got your set vision in mind.

Hope it all works out for you in the end, and it looks good.

LOL, i guess i cant talk, folks hated on my flaming dragon idea instead of a coin door until it was done, and it turned out pretty sharp.

Happy building  :cheers:

chito

• Offline Offline
« Reply #85 on: October 10, 2016, 03:02:36 am »
i will continue to work on the t-moulding, need to source a deeper bit. in the mean time...

Has anyone figured out how to turn a lcd tv on/off when your comp does?

i know that some devices can use Hdmi CEC to do this very thing. so when you power on youre console/dvd player your tv powers on. I contacted the company and a technician told me my model doesnt have this. so i need to find a solution that probably imitates the IR remote. this is something ive researched and havent really found any solution. does anyone know of anything i can use? home are become more automate so there is bound to be something out there

yamatetsu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:37:32 am
  • Just because.
« Reply #86 on: October 10, 2016, 03:39:39 am »
Has anyone figured out how to turn a lcd tv on/off when your comp does?

That's simple.

Use the remote to turn on the TV, switch it to the right input. Pull the TV's power cable. Put the cable back in. If the TV turns on and remembers the right input, you are golden.
In the cab you can use a smart powerstrip to power the PC and the TV. If you turn on the PC, the TV will automatically be powered on too.

chito

• Offline Offline
« Reply #87 on: October 10, 2016, 04:19:04 am »
I remember reading this solution once, forgot all about it lol.

Just tested it. unfortunately, my TV does not seem to do this. cant seem to find a setting for it either.

If anyone know of a good solution (one that hopefully doesnt cost too much) that would be greatly appreciated
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 06:01:40 am by chito »

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2021, 12:21:09 pm
  • Don't half-ass two things, whole-ass one thing.
« Reply #88 on: October 10, 2016, 10:21:31 am »

Just tested it. unfortunately, my TV does not seem to do this. cant seem to find a setting for it either.

If anyone know of a good solution (one that hopefully doesnt cost too much) that would be greatly appreciated

USB Infrared Toy
If you can read this, it means Photobucket's money grab ruined my signature photos.

BorgDog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 22, 2021, 02:22:52 pm
  • Not a hipster for over 50 years!
« Reply #89 on: October 10, 2016, 11:44:43 am »

Another thing to try is to hold the power button down permanently.  Some tv's will then power on and stay that way when they get power, others will power cycle if button held down. 

My Projects:
MisSpent Youth a Vigolix bartop,  Little Bastard a rotating tablet/display bartop,
Pin-Dog a mini pin-cab on vpforums.org  Star Wars a wedgehead pincab on vpinball.com

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #90 on: October 10, 2016, 08:06:01 pm »
 just turn the tv on and leave it on, it should work how you want it to when you plug it and the pc into the smart strip with PC as master, unless that tv has a latching on off button, it should power off and on when pc is powered on and shut down....Try that first before spinning your wheels on alternatives.

chito

• Offline Offline
« Reply #91 on: October 10, 2016, 08:53:33 pm »
My TV doesnt retain state once it has lost power from the main. so a smart strip won't work for the TV i have.

USB Infrared Toy
this looks great, simple and cheap (v3 in the works which looks like will be cheaper). I just need to look into how to program it and get it to run the scripts when i need them to. the great thing about this little PCB is that it has a forum and community. So hopefully i can find some answers.

So the problem i need solve is to get the TV to turn on as soon as the comp does... and when the comp shuts down it needs to Turn the TV off. the USB Infrared Toy looks good and no matter what i find im guessing i wont be able to turn on the TV until the computer fully boots into windows and run a script or something that transmits the IR signal

Other stuff I found like the USB-UIRT and a whole bunch of Arduino and Raspberry Pi IR transmitter/receiver/universal remote solutions. but they weren't quite right. and created other problems like how could i get the raspberry pi to receive a signal on shut down, transmit the IR signal then shutdown itself and then power off... how could i get it to power on when the pc turns on... A smart strip with might turn an ardunio/Rpi on but will force it to turn off before it shuts down etc

I hope this makes sense. I wirting this really fast (at work) and will edit to make more readable later

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #92 on: October 10, 2016, 09:01:28 pm »
thats a very odd tv, make sure efficiency settings arent turned on.

How in the world did you select the rare tv's that don't hold power state.

yamatetsu

• Offline Offline
  • Just because.
« Reply #93 on: October 10, 2016, 09:37:13 pm »
So the problem i need solve is to get the TV to turn on as soon as the comp does... and when the comp shuts down it needs to Turn the TV off.

Smart powerstrip. You plug the computer into the master socket, the TV into a slave socket. As soon as you power on the PC, the slave sockets get juice, too.

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #94 on: October 10, 2016, 09:42:07 pm »
he has TV that doesnt hold power state unfortunately.

take a look at this link, these guys used a 8.00 relay....

http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=27987&hl=%2012v%20%20relay%20%20cycle%20%20timer

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 12:41:11 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #95 on: October 10, 2016, 09:48:38 pm »
Dude, with all the bling you got goin' on, I don't think anyone's going to care if the TV remote is sitting nearby... :cheers:
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

BorgDog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 22, 2021, 02:22:52 pm
  • Not a hipster for over 50 years!
« Reply #96 on: October 10, 2016, 09:51:00 pm »

take a look at this link, these guys used a 8.00 relay....

http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=27987&hl=%2012v%20%20relay%20%20cycle%20%20timer

Yup, this works great, have one on my main playfield tv in the vp cab. Just have to open up the tv and do a little soldering.
My Projects:
MisSpent Youth a Vigolix bartop,  Little Bastard a rotating tablet/display bartop,
Pin-Dog a mini pin-cab on vpforums.org  Star Wars a wedgehead pincab on vpinball.com

thomas_surles

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2023, 07:20:00 pm
« Reply #97 on: October 10, 2016, 10:02:44 pm »
Dude, with all the bling you got goin' on, I don't think anyone's going to care if the TV remote is sitting nearby... :cheers:
:laugh2: thank you.

yamatetsu

• Offline Offline
  • Just because.
« Reply #98 on: October 10, 2016, 10:20:04 pm »

He can use the powerstrip to turn on the PC and the TV and (hopefully) the infrared toy to switch the TV to the proper input when the PC has booted.

chito

• Offline Offline
« Reply #99 on: October 10, 2016, 10:36:49 pm »
So the TV is from a brand called Soniq, now sure where in the world they are a common brand. they're not the best brand but are simple and straight forward.

I originally bought a 43inch but then exchanged it for the 55 inch when it seemed it would be too narrow in portrait. I didn't want a TV with all the bells and whistles since im only using it as a screen and don't need any smart TV features and could also go without 4K. So I bought this one and at a good price.
looking back i shouldve looked for something that had CEC bus support on the HDMI input at least

lol true. I dont want to have to need a remote nearby, might distract from all the bling lol. really i just  want a clean neat solution like a one button startup would be awesome. Plus the IR receiver on the TV would be behind the bezel which i would have to cater for.

that timed relay looks like a great solution. so the TV is plugged into a smart powerstrip, when the PC powers on it gives the TV and the relay power, after the timer counts down it closes the relay which is wired to the power button on the TV, turning it on.
the smart power strip will handle turning the TV off with PC. awesome! it would be great if the replay could close on power off, wouldnt need the smart power strip then 

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #100 on: October 11, 2016, 02:41:54 pm »
Plus the IR receiver on the TV would be behind the bezel which i would have to cater for.

Solution # 2

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018VKBGVC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
« Reply #101 on: October 11, 2016, 02:47:00 pm »
So the TV is from a brand called Soniq,

Here is a post from back in March where a member got the USB Infrared Toy working on that exact brand of TV:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,150198.msg1569076.html#msg1569076
If you can read this, it means Photobucket's money grab ruined my signature photos.

stigzler

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 11, 2022, 03:01:48 pm
  • It seemed like a good idea at the time....
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #102 on: October 11, 2016, 03:07:07 pm »
I'm a day late and a dollar short, but I'm gonna chime in - Fella, that's waaaaay too tall. How the hell are people going to do the 80s Lean:

Mind you, I did find this:

Yeah, sod it. Make it huge.

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 08:21:52 pm
« Reply #103 on: October 11, 2016, 03:45:24 pm »
The screens are angled back on those cabinets and for adults the lit marquee is right in their face.  :P

chito

• Offline Offline
« Reply #104 on: October 11, 2016, 05:43:21 pm »
So the TV is from a brand called Soniq,

Here is a post from back in March where a member got the USB Infrared Toy working on that exact brand of TV:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,150198.msg1569076.html#msg1569076

ill try this solution first, its more expensive but less intrusive and has the potential to handle power off on shutdown and therefore not needing the smart power board... so maybe it will be cheaper?

i already know that running the power off script on shutdown is going to be annoying since you cant run scripts on a hybrid shutdown, which is what windows does ever since 8. prob going to have to turn that off.

And if i can, im going to try to get the power on script to run before windows starts to boot. this only because when my tv turns on, 2 annoying splash screens come on so it takes a bit of time before u get a visual. getting it to turn on after windows is loaded really adds up. which is why the relay option was so appealing.

anyway ill try this first and hopefully its not a waste

chito

• Offline Offline
« Reply #105 on: October 12, 2016, 08:14:38 pm »
Status Update

all test parts have arrived. buttons, joysticks, leds, acrylic tubing, t-moulding samples, dollies, leg levelers, led strip with controller.

have made an order for the usb infrared toy

item 1) i will test out a few buttons and Led solutions. I know this has been done in the past and there are a few posts on this already... but the way the photos were done could have been better. what i mean is when you photograph a scene with multiple light sources it makes it really hard (near impossible) to get all of them show up right. the better way would've been to photograph each button led combo individually. so i knew i couldn't rely on the photos. i had to see them for myself and pick the combination that i liked the most for this build; which is lit up but not in your face lit up. Enough to be seen in a well lit room, kinda the way pokie machines are in casinos. i think they are called slot machines in the states

item 2) ive started prototyping how im going to light up the joysticks. I originally was going to do them like Flynn's Arcade with 2 leds on each side. but im going to see if a modified pele ring would work just as well.

Bought a new router (lost the first one) and new hammer drill (old one died) and routed out the grooves i need to fit the acrylic ring and pele ring. once im finished with the buttons tests ill modify the pele ring.

item 3) ive started prototyping the Led t-moulding. i was able to find clear silicone which was really really cheap. hopefully it will allow for an even easier installation, repair and modification of the illuminated t-moulding. i used my new trim router to slot cut a groove which came out uneven (wasnt used to this new router, hopefully with practice it get better) 2nd attempt was near perfect. groove doesn't look deep enough however. so im on the hunt for another bit. deepest i can find is 1/2" hoping i can find one a little deeper.

item 4) I tried attaching one of the leg levelers to the dolly. In the build the dollies themselves would be attached to the base of the cabinet. i didnt have the correct drill for the T-nuts (which is huge) so i tried to use the trim router to drill... bad idea.. maybe my old lost plunge router wouldve done the trick.. anyway i kinda made a mess of the dolly lol luckily they are really cheap and ive got 6 of them (each can support 100kg/220 pounds

Item 5) one of the worst part i hate about any project, be it personal or for work, is naming the the damn thing. I've got a huge list of name that ive been hounding friends with. Pixel Playcade will do for now. and ive started work on the decals and side art.. but i need to lock down a name before ill lock down any artwork.

item 6) the cad files have been sent to diffenerent cnc services to get quotes. have only heard back from one so far.

and lastly, ill be away on holidays for 2 weekends and a week. so i wont be able to continue prototyping until i get back but hopefully, i can get more quotes. it will also give me time to write this build up properly
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 09:55:36 pm by chito »

chito

• Offline Offline
« Reply #106 on: October 13, 2016, 10:25:59 pm »
How the hell are people going to do the 80s Lean:

lol such a classic look. Great pics

reptileink

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 28, 2023, 11:30:55 am
  • An 8 bit hero
« Reply #107 on: October 18, 2016, 09:02:23 pm »
3 pages and not one cut made yet...... :dunno

~Building Arcade Cabinets are like raising children, you always mess up your first~

chito

• Offline Offline
« Reply #108 on: October 18, 2016, 09:38:10 pm »
80% of any project is planning. once i finish prototyping the illuminated joysticks ill have what i need to finish the cad files. I got a qoute im haply with so once thats sorted it will get cnc cut.. soo hopefully soon!! once i get back from my holidays

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
« Reply #109 on: October 18, 2016, 10:03:46 pm »
I think you and skmastaz should have a build race.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:29:49 am
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #110 on: October 19, 2016, 08:30:46 am »
When I build something, it is more like 10 percent planning. I don't spend enough time planning, but I get projects done. Sometimes you just have to dive in and react to problems as they turn up.

reptileink

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 28, 2023, 11:30:55 am
  • An 8 bit hero
« Reply #111 on: October 19, 2016, 10:15:05 am »
When I build something, it is more like 10 percent planning. I don't spend enough time planning, but I get projects done. Sometimes you just have to dive in and react to problems as they turn up.

:applaud:

Planning is great, but it will never prepare you for everything. Roll up the sleeves, and get your hands dirty. Or maybe start a Project Thread when you actually START the project.  :dunno

~Building Arcade Cabinets are like raising children, you always mess up your first~

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:35:25 am
  • Flipping out
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137295.0.html
« Reply #112 on: October 19, 2016, 11:33:26 am »
Meh - I plan for ever and as soon as it comes to the build, half the things I plan for, i end up doing differently, and the things I didn't plan for turn out to be the most fun as I have to overcome them in 'real-time'.

I'm interested in seeing how this comes together. It's certainly not the cab I would go for but I can appreciate what you're doing and why. It's about time we had some crazy bling to offset all the serious cabarets and nintendo builds.  >:D

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:29:49 am
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #113 on: October 19, 2016, 12:27:26 pm »
Unfortunately, nothing can come together until the sawdust starts flying.

stigzler

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 11, 2022, 03:01:48 pm
  • It seemed like a good idea at the time....
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #114 on: October 19, 2016, 12:37:48 pm »
80% of any project is planning.

Bless. See you in 18 months at 783%

yotsuya

• Offline Offline

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
Actually, on this build, since he's having it cut for him, 80% probably IS planning...

I'm with Mark.  80% of my 80% never comes to fruition...

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #117 on: October 19, 2016, 01:23:22 pm »
80% of any project is planning.

You designed this to be in an apartment? Do yourself a favor and mock this up with cardboard first...

If you're that serious about planning, take my advice, you will get a better understanding of the spacial footprint and "bulk" this will take up. Every project that takes this long to "plan" does a prototype first before production is started...

Also....4th page, I win!

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:09:19 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #118 on: October 19, 2016, 02:09:04 pm »
Also....4th page, I win!

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

opt2not