Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Monolith - 55inch vertical screen - project name "go for broke"  (Read 30027 times)

stigzler

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • It seemed like a good idea at the time....
    • Mago Arcade

chris77

• Offline Offline
  • Instant C
    • visual pinball
Re: Monolith - 55inch vertical screen - project name "go for broke"
« Reply #441 on: August 29, 2017, 03:22:33 pm »
Hey Chito,

your cab totally rocks! I love your attention to detail  :cheers: :applaud:

cheers
Chris
my arcade projects

46" visual pinball big bang pin * taito egret29 candy cabs * indiana jones & star wars pachinkos *
17" bartop with ledwiz rgbleds * 10" bubble bobble & galaga bartop * arm champs with robotic hand
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_ILihnUCMc

chito

• Offline Offline
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,151843.0.html
« Reply #442 on: August 30, 2017, 02:40:47 am »
Cheers Chris
I put a lot of effort into this machine, I wanted to create something that would ease my Arcade itch. I get a lot of ideas and always want to make things, this cab is a whole bunch of that all in one so I don't have to later go, "I wish my cab had this or that".
Hate that this has stalled, the hardware part of it is so close to being done.

Thanks for all the suggestions stigzler, It would be good to get my hands on some that stuff and see how much can be done with it/hack it, in terms of shape especially. Maybe wedging it in the channel would be enough? hmm, I think I would still need something to cover up the machined edges. But it's good to see there is stuff out to mess with.

chito

• Offline Offline
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,151843.0.html
« Reply #443 on: September 12, 2017, 11:39:24 am »
Update

So last time I was at my mate's workshop. I had to leave so I could make my 4hr drive home and get home before midnight. We got a lot done and had just applied the LEDs, silicone and t-moulding to the control panel when I had to leave. So the pending items were:
  • printing the art work
  • applying artwork to control panel, side panels and marquee
  • applying LED, silicone and t-moulding to the side panels
  • package everything on a pallet ready for pick and delivery

So my friend offered to take care of the rest so that I didn't have to make the trip back. Did I mention he is a top bloke?
While he did manage to get some stuff done, it turns out that he ended up getting swamped with work, he was left on his own to run the business as his parents (who are part owners) had to fly overseas for a family emergency. He ended going to hospital for Kidney stones. So he wasn't having the best of times. So I decided to drive up and help him, once we cleared things up we would finish off what was left.

Lessons learned
So with the control panel, we used a natural cure silicone, which took forever to set! I'm talking about 4-5 weeks. So we switched to an acetic cure silicone which doesn't need air and also sets faster than natural cure. So because we were using a new silicone we weren't sure if the colour of it once set would be different. didn't want the control panel blue to be different to the side panels blue, so we removed the t-moulding and silicone from the control panel and reapplied. came out pretty easily.

Side panels
My mate had already applied the artwork and trimmed the edges. He also applied masking tape around the edges to protect the art from the process.

like before we embedded the LEDs in the channel and applied the silicone and t-moulding. Doing it in sections, we prepped the t-moulding, added the silicone pinned down the t-moulding and then tapped it down so that it sets nice and firm.

in the photo, you can see the little bartop build which I was also able to finish this weekend.

Control Panel
So with the artwork printed, we applied it, trimmed all the edges and then let it dry. Once dried we applied the silicone and t-moulding in the same way as the side panels. Because the control panel has tighter corners and curves we decided the wrap the whole thing in packing shrink so that it would make thing tighter and help hold the t-moulding in place while it set.

And with that, we were done! cabinet is built! although in sections lol. now to get it home and wire everything up.

Packing
So we have another friend who has a huge trailer, and he frequents the journey to where my mate lives and my city. We organised to get his help, he is on holiday at the moment to once he gets back and is settled he will bring it down. In the mean time, the silicone will set so it works out well.

So to get it ready we packed the pallet. once we had everything where we wanted it, we wrapped it in so much shrink wrap to make it as sturdy as possible.

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Definitely my last Cab. Yeah I said that last time
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137295.0.html
« Reply #444 on: September 12, 2017, 07:55:47 pm »
I get a lot of ideas and always want to make things, this cab is a whole bunch of that all in one so I don't have to later go, "I wish my cab had this or that".

Welcome to the club  :cheers: I remember saying (cab -3) was everything I wanted and wouldn't need to build another...!

Followed your build from the start - initially just as a wtf thing but I like your vision. Not something I would build (or more truthfully, not what I would think to build) but it's definitely grown on me and I can see it being a lot of fun. You've put a lot of thought, effort and skill into this and I'm really looking forwards to seeing the final cab.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31