Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Monolith - 55inch vertical screen - project name "go for broke"  (Read 24081 times)

chito

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,151843.0.html
Re: Monolith - 55inch vertical screen - project name "go for broke"
« Reply #400 on: June 14, 2017, 03:12:42 am »
So my long weekend has come and passed. While I got a lot done, I was unable to get as far as I wanted. I keep forgetting to take photos so apologies for the lack of photos.

last time most of the edges of the particle board were sealed and primed. Turns out I missed a few, no biggy did them as well and painted the ones that were ready with black enamel, which takes 16hrs to dry but is a stronger finish. unfortunately, that did mean I had to wait for things to dry. In the meantime, the new parts for the control panel with screens were cut. the remaining acrylic parts were also cut. all panels that needed T-moulding were routed.

The side panels and control panel top were also assembled. We used a really strong silicone to combine the 3mm composite board with the 12mm mdf. The control panel required a bit of prework with inserts added and some screws for the screens

I do have a photo of the side panel assembled with the leds inserted and tested.

the next part is the hard part. And neither of us know how we are going to do it. We need to run the clear silicone over the leds while also securing the t-moulding while not getting the silicone everywhere and also making sure the t-moulding is flush and not bulging in some places. This is more difficult with all the curves. We have a few ideas but have decided to leave it for the next time I go up there. In the meantime, we need to come up with some strategies.

In other news
I knew I would have extra material left over and since i was already getting new parts cut out anyway I figured I'd get my bartop statted. I always wanted a bartop for my desk at work. So I quickly designed and created one based on this one

When I saw this bartop, I loved how modern and slick it looked. especially the flush screen and marquee. So here is my design for a single player version with a 10.1 inch screen (bought this screen at the same time as the screens for the control panel)

so this one cost nothing to cut since I already had the material and was already cutting out parts. Even if I had to buy the material, the sheet of mdf this fits on is $8. Still have to pay for the joystick, buttons, speakers, screen, art etc. All the details will be in this thread for this build. I'm calling this build Chibi for anyone who is interested
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 03:30:31 am by chito »

Ian

• Online Online
  • "A day without Laughter is a day wasted"
« Reply #401 on: June 19, 2017, 08:58:16 am »
Nice progress... Can't wait to see some more pics.
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • 8 Bit...16 Shy
« Reply #402 on: June 20, 2017, 07:04:22 pm »
We are in Colorado this week and stopped at the Penny Arcade in Manitou Springs last night.  My wife and kids were having a ball playing this new Galaga game which reminded me of your build.  They want me to build one now and my wife specifically called out the lit t-molding.      :cheers:

thomas_surles

• Online Online
  • If you build it they will come (they never showed)
« Reply #403 on: June 20, 2017, 07:48:03 pm »
We are in Colorado this week and stopped at the Penny Arcade in Manitou Springs last night.  My wife and kids were having a ball playing this new Galaga game which reminded me of your build.  They want me to build one now and my wife specifically called out the lit t-molding.      :cheers:

Just checked that out on YouTube. Looks amazing. That's a modern galaga done right. (The game anyway)

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • 8 Bit...16 Shy

Just checked that out on YouTube. Looks amazing. That's a modern galaga done right. (The game anyway)
I was surprised how fun it was. My son plays a lot of Galaga and he loved it. We are going to dump $5 into it later.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31