Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Monolith - 55inch vertical screen - project name "go for broke"  (Read 128072 times)

chito

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2023, 12:29:26 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,151843.0.html
Re: Monolith - 55inch vertical screen - project name "go for broke"
« Reply #320 on: April 24, 2017, 02:11:37 am »
im working that right now. Ive fixed players 1 and 2, fixed the text and labels for the screens

players 3 and 4 are still causing issues. I just can't get them to look right. I've experimented with a few ideas but nothing seems to be work.
there's just not enough room to do the exact same thing as player 1 and 2.  and what works one won't work for the other since they asymmetrical

stigzler

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 11, 2022, 03:01:48 pm
  • It seemed like a good idea at the time....
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #321 on: April 24, 2017, 02:38:02 am »
Not very often I get embroiled in people's aesthetic Choices, but I do worry, given the time and expense you've spent, you might wake up one morning and take issue with your own cp....

It just reminds me of cheap toys, where they print pretend dials and instruments onto stickers and stick them on...

If you do want that Prometheus look , I'd suggest doing it properly. For £100 you could buy a couple of LCD screens and a small gpu to drive them. Then you could have proper sooper sci fi displays rather than Mattel stickers...

As for your cp graphics, less is more imho
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 02:53:55 am by stigzler »

chito

• Offline Offline
« Reply #322 on: April 24, 2017, 03:00:48 am »
yeah, you're right and the same thing has crossed my mind. I don't mind it too much as long as it looks good. I have enough material left over to perhaps do another version later on. with actual light buttons and screens, it might look good or really crap lol. don't know... I need to play around with that idea and the placement of the buttons would need to different to so that nothing gets in the way for the actual gameplay.

I think, for now, I need to just need to finish this build and look at a control panel V2 later on

chito

• Offline Offline
« Reply #323 on: April 24, 2017, 07:58:55 am »
If you do want that Prometheus look , I'd suggest doing it properly. For £100 you could buy a couple of LCD screens and a small gpu to drive them. Then you could have proper sooper sci fi displays rather than Mattel stickers...

the more i think about this the more i think it would've been mad to add them. A few weeks i was looking a ipad 2 screens with a hdmi driver controller for about 80 buckaroos (which are 9.7 inch, 1024 by 768 pixels at 132ppi IPS screens) the only thing i dont know is if the driver supports power preserve after power loss or it works like a monitor.

found this 7" 1200 x 800 ips screen with a controller for $64 USD

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:40:51 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #324 on: April 24, 2017, 10:04:50 am »
those universal LCD boards 99% of the time support last power state, so if it's on... it will power right back up.

the only ones I've seen not do that are a handful of ones with tuners built into them used to replace TV boards. they usually default off.

Laythe

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 11:12:38 pm
  • "-smurfing- delivers." - Yots
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149109.0.html
« Reply #325 on: April 24, 2017, 11:12:55 am »
I don't think the control panel screens being actual screens is at all crucial with this project.

I mean, really, is somebody - anybody - going to walk up to this thing as designed and go, "Enh, I just wish it lit up more, you know?"   :D

chito

• Offline Offline
« Reply #326 on: April 24, 2017, 12:45:58 pm »
lol well, I ended up buying one anyway. Ill play around with and test a few things. If it doesn't get used here it will go into a new project for a little bartop. plus i muck around with a RPi a lot so it won't go to waste.

I was thinking that maybe apart from the Prometheus type animations it could display in-game info like high scores, cheats etc.. i don't need an extra screen for marquee and instruction cards. that was the whole point of the vertical screen but maybe it could display something else because this will also have a pinball machine. the digital plunger and controller arrived a few weeks back. Anyway, just a thought.

But you're right, visually there is probably already too much going on lol. I'll see when it's finally built and up and running

rablack97

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2022, 06:50:10 pm
  • If you don't try, you have no chance at innovation
« Reply #327 on: April 24, 2017, 01:02:38 pm »

the more i think about this the more i think it would've been mad to add them. A few weeks i was looking a ipad 2 screens with a hdmi driver controller for about 80 buckaroos (which are 9.7 inch, 1024 by 768 pixels at 132ppi IPS screens) the only thing i dont know is if the driver supports power preserve after power loss or it works like a monitor.

They do, i used these in my virtual pin.

stigzler

• Offline Offline
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #328 on: April 24, 2017, 01:27:35 pm »

Wow. So you've gone form Mattel stickers to an IPS monitor? Cool beans. Didn't know these little china cheapies were available in IPS - it'll look spiffing.

As for what to display on it - given it's a CP how about game controls? So your players can know what buttons to press. Unless you are designing it for one game only.

I don't think the control panel screens being actual screens is at all crucial with this project.

Ignore him. He's wrong.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:02:22 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
I will give you credit, I like the fact that you're trying to make the control panel look like a control panel, I find it much preferable to some of the other crap people throw on it. Having said that, I too think screens would be Overkill. Then again, the whole damn thing is overkill, so what's one more bit of bling. :-)
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

rablack97

• Offline Offline
I will give you credit, I like the fact that you're trying to make the control panel look like a control panel, I find it much preferable to some of the other crap people throw on it. Having said that, I too think screens would be Overkill. Then again, the whole damn thing is overkill, so what's one more bit of bling. :-)

stigzler

• Offline Offline
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #331 on: April 25, 2017, 02:29:58 am »
Yotsuya is also wrong. Ignore him. He works fo Mattel.

chito

• Offline Offline
« Reply #332 on: April 25, 2017, 08:47:04 am »
As for what to display on it - given it's a CP how about game controls? So your players can know what buttons to press. Unless you are designing it for one game only.

The whole reason why its a 55" screen in portrait is to tackle this issue. at this orientation, I can display marquee, bezel, instruction cards fake arcade speakers, fake marquee lighting effect etc all on the screen at once as a single overlay image. I won't actually need the other screens for that stuff, these screens are free to be their own thing (not sure if ill need them for the pinball but)

I will give you credit, I like the fact that you're trying to make the control panel look like a control panel

I thought this made the most sense and fits with my whole out in space 2001 space odyssey name and theme lol I originally was going to base the design of the control panel used in the movie, even with a HAL-9000 unit but they were a bit too bland. not much to work with.
earlier versions were very similar to the side art but I thought there wasn't enough variety. Not to mention that old retro arcade control panels looked like control panels and I wanted that feel (although it looks less retro at the moment)

In terms of bling, I saw this months ago when I was researching for this build. not sure what his handle or if has one on this forum, but he has a website and a youtube channel. Anyway he builds arcades based on the Flynn's Arcade build and he created this variation control panel

by Paradox Arcade Systems

now that my control panel has changed I'm thinking maybe I can do something similar. It's actually very easy but expensive. It's basically layers of acrylic sheets with an opaque vinyl sheet with lines and elements cut out. He has a video under another name for it and if you skip to 2:33 he shows exactly how he did it

wheeezy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 12, 2019, 10:51:36 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #333 on: April 25, 2017, 08:50:28 pm »
amazing i want do something like that wow

i want do with a 42 inch lcd tv that i have

chito

• Offline Offline
« Reply #334 on: April 26, 2017, 01:44:46 am »
amazing i want do something like that wow

i want do with a 42 inch lcd tv that i have

you can thank Vcabinets for the idea.
Facebook page
Webpage

So I've started thinking about wiring... I'm using the Ipac Ultimate
I've seen builds that use Molex connectors and I was thinking why? the micro switches already use quick connects... I don't see the point or am I missing something? is it because the LED wires are short and you need to make an extension anyway? normally I would just extend the wire, solder, and then heat shrink.

I guess if you had a harness for each player that might be handy,
The harness would have a GND to daisy chain the micro switches and +5V to daisy chain the LEDS... is that right?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 02:00:24 am by chito »

Laythe

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 11:12:38 pm
  • "-smurfing- delivers." - Yots
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149109.0.html
« Reply #335 on: April 26, 2017, 09:53:54 pm »

Ignore him. He's wrong.

chito

• Offline Offline
« Reply #336 on: April 26, 2017, 11:23:34 pm »
lol. what a crack up. Also, that's one of my favorite movies, so well directed and written.
92 and 94 on rotten tomatoes

So I contacted Andy from Ultimarc and he confirmed
you can daisy chain the GND for the micro switches and you can daisy chain the +5V for the LEDs

stigzler

• Offline Offline
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #337 on: April 27, 2017, 02:56:31 am »
Beware Laythe's campaigns of misinformation and character assassination. I hear he burns books and inserts subliminal message frames into films of a weekend.

Schnookums

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 04, 2020, 08:17:27 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #338 on: April 29, 2017, 01:49:33 pm »
I saw this on goodwill's auction site and couldn't help but think of this project....

https://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewitem.asp?itemid=39131480

If I actually lived in Vegas I'd totall buy it just to mess around with it

Ian

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2021, 01:50:35 am
  • "A day without Laughter is a day wasted"
« Reply #339 on: April 29, 2017, 07:48:45 pm »
I will second that. Sorry Chito. I am up past my bedtime. I am a little cranky and I am stuck at work. Attacking your method was dumb and I apologize. I am back on the Chito train.

Mike Joined the Train while I was gone??? Awesome.  :cheers:
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

Mike A

• Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 05:37:55 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #340 on: April 29, 2017, 07:51:33 pm »
Yup. I am still new to this internet forum thing. It seems to bring out the cranky old man in me. In real life I am really laid back. I am doing my best to make sure that is what comes through in my posts going forward.

Ian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #341 on: April 30, 2017, 07:58:51 am »
Yup. I am still new to this internet forum thing. It seems to bring out the cranky old man in me. In real life I am really laid back. I am doing my best to make sure that is what comes through in my posts going forward.

Well that's boring.  >:D
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

Mike A

• Online Online
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #342 on: April 30, 2017, 08:18:57 am »
Maybe, but I want to learn from this forum, and share things that I have learned. It is easier to do that if I am not distracted by meaningless garbage. I will still give my honest opinion, but I will do my best to leave it be after that.

chito

• Offline Offline
« Reply #343 on: April 30, 2017, 10:45:52 am »
It's all good Mike A  :cheers: all I got was that you're passionate about your craft

So I thought I would update on the latest going on's. Hopefully, this helps someone one day

Control panel art is done
Sorry this version doesn't have working screens in it

Wood saga
2 weekends ago I started cutting wood, but could only get so far because the mdf with black melamine hadn't come in (a few public holidays were in the week leading up). New eta of Friday was given but alas it still hasn't arrived. This is is making it hard to plan when to set time for this build!! I really want to progress. But still, this has been a blessing in disguise.

for one thing, while the designs are done and the cnc files sent, it has given me time to go over things, refine parts and debug. I ended up finding some errors) all of which would've been fixable at build time but save time and effort finding them now. Also ordered more parts like screws, PCB feet, panel mount 3.5mm audio, screws etc

Hinges
One huge issue was the hinges. I spend many hours with very little sleep researching this. I know very little about the world of hinges lol. I've seen many hinges and I knew what I needed would be out there, its got to be! There are sooooo many. I just didn't know what the ones I needed were called. After researching and I found them and I thought why not add them to the designs adn update the cnc files, I've got the time. luckily I did as I found an issue that took forever to resolve

Coin door
After researching and a few trips to the hardware store the joint I'm using for this is a Euro Concealed Inset Hinge 107deg. This hinge will allow me to have the coin door against the inside of the side panel. I added the holes to the design and once I bought the part, I updated them with the correct measurements. easy

Control panel
For this, I decided to use a standard Euro Overlay Hinge. And it had to be at least 100deg since the control panel is angled at 7.5deg. so at 97.5deg would be perfectly vertical but it would still tip forward (controls, wires etc offset the center of gravity) so 100deg or more would work better. added the holes to the design and discovered a major issue!

The issue I found was that the cup cutout for the hinge eats into the area where the leds will be!! goddamit! This is why I love cad. this would've sucked to have bought the parts and made this find at build time.

The issue was bigger than I though because, in fact, all euro hinges will have this issue... So I looked into other hinges. Can't use a butt hinge, piano hinge, gate hinges so so many... because have the same issue or don't provide the movement I needed. Holy crap what can I use... I spent so many hours researching. The next day I still didn't have an answer and was just about to post on this thread to ask for help when I found Frog hinges.

in the above photo, the brown stained wood would be the control panel. You can see the holes for the screws, on the dark wood, are the same distance as the side panels thickness plus about 4mm. In my case, thats 16mm + 4mm. The leds are 15mm from the edge.. awesome! prays answered? These hinges can only go to 90deg which as I mentioned before means the control panel will tip forward. crap, what do it do? So I looked into gas struts and stay lifts.

the problem is they still require a hinge and they often can't hold the weight that this control panel will be (estimate 10-15kgs). There are other arm mechanisms but now it was getting ridiculous and expensive. But what can I do?! I need a hinge... the way I designed the control panel is so that it will sit in place without any hinge using placers (highlighted blue in the pic below) that are attached to the control panel on the underside...

would that be enough? it would suck to repair buttons etc. I would need to remove and disconnect the whole control panel. I was stuck!!! holy crap what am going to do? there doesn't seem to be a solution!! and then after many many more hours the arcade gods blessed me... by absolute fluke and even after looking at hundreds and hundreds of hinges I never saw this hinge before. At first, I only saw it as a photo... didn't have a name. had no info. I did a reverse google image search... got a name and more images of the same hinge came up awesome. But most the images were mistakes in that it was incorrectly in the gallery for another part, the frog hinge. Eventually, after so many attempts I kinda have a name, introducing the 130-170 frog bridge hinge or a combination of those words lol.

this bad boy has an adjustable angle between 130-170deg and 2 of these can hold up a door that is 30kgs (66 pounds) and bonus the movement is wide so the t-moulding doesn't get clipped. Is this joint a godsend, will the joint be heaps stiff? who knows. I couldn't find anywhere on the net that sold them except for one website based in china. I got the hole dimensions and ill add them to the design soon, just waiting on the supplier to give me the correct ones (found many mistakes in the ones he sent me due to dodgy cut and paste). It's always safer to have the actual part in your hands and take measurements. A few times even with the manufactures dimensions they were wrong. they didn't match with what they actually are. Anyway, I'm deciding whether to risk it.

This hinge issue took 4 days to get to this point, many nights up till 4am-5:30am trying to find an answer.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 11:13:15 am by chito »

stigzler

• Offline Offline
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #344 on: April 30, 2017, 11:11:29 am »
Whilst i love this project....

I can't say I didn't try...

chito

• Offline Offline
« Reply #345 on: April 30, 2017, 11:15:50 am »

This just needs a raspberry pi and a real screen and bam instant portable car racing cockpit for your desktop. Awesome it even has the Mattel stickers! next project? maybe... would be mad for playing Mario kart!

with this build, if I add the screen, I'll have to add them later. that is something I really need to work out how I will do. mainly because even thought that area appears to be unused, on the other side of the control panel are all the pcbs, wires etc. I would need to measure up the parts and create brackets (3d print?) to hold everything together
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 11:32:19 am by chito »

wp34

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #346 on: April 30, 2017, 11:50:06 am »
Maybe, but I want to learn from this forum, and share things that I have learned. It is easier to do that if I am not distracted by meaningless garbage. I will still give my honest opinion, but I will do my best to leave it be after that.

:cheers:

chito

• Offline Offline
« Reply #347 on: May 03, 2017, 03:08:21 am »
Update

The wood has finally arrived. 3 weeks late but at least its here. Time to bring most of this thing together. sucks that i have to wait for the buttons and joysticks

stigzler

• Offline Offline
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #348 on: May 03, 2017, 10:10:51 am »
You got wood.

Mike A

• Online Online
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #349 on: May 03, 2017, 10:14:31 am »
but it took 3 weeks. You might want to see a doctor about that.

Monkeyvoodoo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 12, 2024, 08:00:58 pm
  • I swear I can stop at one. Or two.
    • threefoldhorse Custom

stigzler

• Offline Offline
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #351 on: May 08, 2017, 06:29:39 pm »
Sooo.......

Pictures of your wood?

>.<

chito

• Offline Offline
« Reply #352 on: May 08, 2017, 10:50:21 pm »
I just got back from my friend's workshop last night. I spent the weekend up at his place and took the day off on Monday to work on this project just because he lives so far away. Of course, nothing goes smoothly so we had to deal with some annoying issues...

• The wood I ordered was the wrong material, I ordered MDF and it came in particle board...  on the order sheet the material isn't specified so I called the supplier and they get them from another factory, being the weekend they were closed and I couldn't find out if my order was taken down wrong or if it only comes in particle board. Usually, particle board is cheaper so I might need to get a refund but I was happy to work with it, It's lighter and we don't need the extra strength anymore because of the Aluminum sides.
  • Some of the panels were scratched!! I bought 5, 3 were scratched bad. 2 were good. Luckily we only need 3 sheets and one of them only one side needed to be nice. So we pushed ahead. I all turned out well in the end. but I'm going to try to get a refund for the bad panels left over
  • For some reason all weekend we had issues with the CNC machine. One day it wouldn't import correctly, another day it would turn off by itself (turns a connection came loose from all the vibrations) and a few times we stuffed up or forgot to include some cutting paths! lol

All the prep work is now done (95%)

We got all our wood cut (forgot to take photos lol)
So all 10 sheets ar now cut. It's heaps and heaps of work. each sheet takes about a day. We found a few issues but have enough wood from the off cuts to re-cut some parts. So that's all that needs to be fixed. so far about 5 pieces.

All mitre joints cut, exposed edges sealed and primed ready to paint, inserts machined down, made flush and installed.

Artwork

So I created my artwork on a true colour calibrated screen and when I viewed them on my friend's screen the colours were coming up all weird so as a precaution we printed out some tests. which is an annoying effort on this CYMK machines. man do they need a lot of maintenance lol. But the good news is it came out sexy as!!

Other Artwork
So ive also started prototyping some overlays for this beast

One last update

7inch IPS screens

So while I was away the 7 inch screen came in. looks pretty nice. also found this perfect adafruit tutorial https://learn.adafruit.com/raspberry-pi-video-looper/overview. I try it out with a raspberry pi zero but looks like we might have a winner for contorl panel V2. if not it will be the screen for my bartop im making form an icade
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 10:54:13 pm by chito »

coyo5050

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2023, 07:25:03 pm
  • Vewlix W
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,143877.0.html
« Reply #353 on: May 08, 2017, 11:04:52 pm »

They do, i used these in my virtual pin.

I used one of these screens in my cabinet. The plan was to show controls for the different systems or the game name/marquee. Still looking for the right software for that.

chito

• Offline Offline
« Reply #354 on: May 09, 2017, 12:02:50 am »
I forgot to mention 1 thing. What's the best way to protect the control panel?

I read that polycarbonate laminate is the way to go and when I mention this to my mate, he said there are a few types and thicknesses... What do I need to tell him to get the right finish?

I used one of these screens in my cabinet. The plan was to show controls for the different systems or the game name/marquee. Still looking for the right software for that.

couldnt you do this by connecting it to a video card with dual (or more) monitor screen support and then use rocketlauncher to display the image you want on it per game? pretty sure mame has dual screen support for this already
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 12:53:50 am by chito »

stigzler

• Offline Offline
    • Mago Arcade

Mike A

• Online Online
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #356 on: May 09, 2017, 07:24:38 am »
This is a bold and impressive project. I hope it all comes together the way you envisioned it.

Ian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #357 on: May 09, 2017, 10:15:20 am »
Wow... and all this time I thought your profile pic was pixel art... but that is what you actually look like! It's a good look... ha ha ha

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:40:51 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #358 on: May 09, 2017, 03:16:02 pm »
polycarbonate is strong like bull, but scratch like cat. even wiping it will scratch it. the only reason you'd want polycarbonate (AKA Lexan) is for security reasons.

you want acrylic. it's far more scratch resistant but brittle so watch how you drill/screw/secure it.

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #359 on: May 09, 2017, 04:45:48 pm »
Make sure your clear on what your asking about, polycarbonate laminate is a tough stick on material.

Or are you talking about acrylic/lexan CP overlays.

The laminate is awesome on CP's and doesnt require an acrylic overlay.  I've went this way on all of my builds for awhile the acrylic overlays just protect your atwork, and can show toms of fingerprints and can crack during the fitting process.

if your gonna put this on a cp your gonna need 1/8 thick and a 5/8 cp panel, so t-moulding sits flush with bottom of cp and top of acrylic with art sandwiched in between.