Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Monolith - 55inch vertical screen - project name "go for broke"  (Read 128111 times)

chito

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2023, 12:29:26 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,151843.0.html
Re: Monolith - 55inch vertical screen - project name "go for broke"
« Reply #280 on: April 13, 2017, 07:53:39 pm »
Sorry. I read that post 19 years ago. I have raised two kids since you started this thread.

lol this is why i love this forum. the banter is great

uhhh you know you can buy the concave button and a set of the IL clear.  and just swap on the plunger, retro fit with and LED?

of course i know, but then ill have to buy twice the buttons (ive asked other places). im happy to wait. in the mean time, i can still wire up the cab and add the buttons later

Neph rings bitches, top mounted....it can be done sir......

Goddamit i had no idea such a thing was out there!! I was looking at using pele rings at on stage. ive got 4 days till i have to hand in the designs and there is still so much prep work to do that i won't have time to investigate these. Ill have to go with what i have. And this ladies and gents is why it can take forever to design something. Wish i knew about these earlier.. there is still the problem of getting the leds to the Nephrings when its top mounted through 16mm mdf

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:37:55 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
Hoover dam didn't require this much planning.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

stigzler

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 11, 2022, 03:01:48 pm
  • It seemed like a good idea at the time....
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #282 on: April 14, 2017, 05:12:49 am »
Just as an aside, my anti-gravity gun is nearly complete! I've sent off the plans on the back of a cigarette packet; Dave's making the anti grav unit and I'm just waiting for some no. 2 screws from china as B & Q had run out...
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 08:46:09 am by stigzler »

chito

• Offline Offline
« Reply #283 on: April 21, 2017, 02:35:31 pm »
Status Update

So good news is I've finally got around to cutting wood! (and metal)... bad news is I had planned to build the entire thing this weekend, however, the wood I ordered 2 weeks ago hasn't come in!! which means I won't be able to finish this till 2 weeks from now.

I stayed up many nights to 5am finishing the cad files. As I was making the cnc files I would find issues, as I was making the explosion diagrams (further down in this post) I found more issues, went to the hardware store looked at some parts and found more issues lol. each revision was updating the cad files, creating cnc files, emailing the new files and my mate recreating the tool paths. It's seemed like it would never end! But all good now. files are full done, there are issue I know about but will find a solution during the build.

New material: composite board
so originally I planned to use 16mm mdf to and route a 10mm wide, 15mm deep channel through the middle. This had issues with creating an even route and even making the edges of the mdf weaker, my solution to which was to add another panel of mdf as a shield and to carry the weight.

What I've done instead is use 3mm aluminum composite board on both sides to sandwich some 12mm mdf. the aluminum is lighter and stronger and doesn't need any prep work to get the vinyl to stick to it... its only major drawback is that the stuff is way more expensive almost 5 times the amount of mdf per sheet (depending on the amount of aluminum used, color combo and finishes).

This makes repairs to the leds easier as I can get to them by simply removing the side panel and unscrewing the composite board. Additionally using this layer solution opened up new possibilities (which could be done in the mdf but here it's stronger). the way I've designed it, the base and the side carry all the weight of the cab.

Updated design changes
  • Ive added tabs so that the whole machine can be almost entirely put together with friction. Still, a lot of these will be reinforced with a 18mm x 18mm blocks
  • I've also added cable management channels on both sides so I can run cables from the base to the TV chamber (one side will be power, the other side will be everything else so that it's not affected by signal interference from power lines. In the below image: Point A is a hole of the led wires, B are the holes for the power and cables
  • the whole cabinet comes apart into 5 sections for easier transport etc using type E screw inserts. I'm using inserts so that it can be screwed and unscrewed as many times as I need to without it damaging the wood

Parts
This cabinet is made with following sheets:
  • 4 x composite board
  • 2 x 12mm mdf
  • 1 x 15mm ply wood
  • 1 x 6mm clear arcylic
  • 3 x 16mm mdf (with black melamine - special order that caused the delay)

bloody expensive, and I got my material and cnc at mates rates. I used to see arcades advertised for $1000, $4000 etc and think far out! that's so expensive! I could make one for cheaper. After doing this project I can say that it's a bargain and I get it lol. Still, I did this for the fun and the intention was to go all out with something designed from scratch. reproducing a cab would be so much easier, faster and probably cheaper. moving on.

The wood that is on special order is mdf covered in black melamine. which means when this is cut and assembled there is no priming or painting involved. One problem with melamine is that you can't glue to it, so this would greatly reduce the strength and bond of any reinforced joints. So looking at other arcades made with the same material I learnt that I had to score about 1mm deep, ie remove the melamine from the mdf where there is going to be a joint. This ensures wood to wood contact that can be glued, screwed and nailed.

Assembly
So here are the explosion diagrams step by step of how this will come together.

Artwork Update
So when i started working on the artwork, for some reason I create it in RGB colour space. So I had to redo all the artwork in CYMK for print and is a huge pain because a straight conversion dulls the colours. So I fixed all that and this time made all the colours link to a global pallet. Additionally, with the cnc file finalised, some holes and sizes changed so a redo was necessary anyways.

So the sides and bezel artwork is finalised

the one im having the most trouble with is the control panel. After about 5 different designs I've settle on one but I'm still having issues with players 3 and 4. have no idea what to do for them lol

anyway so it seems i have some time now to work on this and it wont be rushed
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 03:06:41 am by chito »

Ian

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2021, 01:50:35 am
  • "A day without Laughter is a day wasted"
« Reply #284 on: April 21, 2017, 03:02:03 pm »
 :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #285 on: April 21, 2017, 03:04:38 pm »
cue 2001 theme music.

thomas_surles

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2023, 07:20:00 pm
« Reply #286 on: April 21, 2017, 03:06:13 pm »
Never thought id see the day.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:47:56 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #287 on: April 21, 2017, 03:15:46 pm »

He's just crazy enough to do it!

stigzler

• Offline Offline
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #288 on: April 21, 2017, 03:20:46 pm »
So good news is I've finally got around to cutting wood!

(read: I fell off my chair)

Remarkable. Couple of Q's:
1) when you say the sides are going to be removable to replace leds - where you removing from - inside? won't you have to go through the artwork?
2) That control panel looks a little busy to my tastes and detracts from the main feature of your cab which is basically the size! Are they just pretend displays or are they going to be actual ones?

Overall, I know you've had to ride out some major ribbing, but Yovolith is looking very interesting!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 03:22:27 pm by stigzler »

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:40:39 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #289 on: April 21, 2017, 03:51:15 pm »
it's like seeing IKEA at work  :applaud:

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #290 on: April 21, 2017, 05:29:00 pm »
You are a good guy Chito. Feel free bust my chops when I post a build. I will totally deserve it.

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2024, 12:40:25 pm
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #291 on: April 21, 2017, 07:08:48 pm »
Jesus there are so many above posts I wish to rep the ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- out of right meow....

chito

• Offline Offline
« Reply #292 on: April 21, 2017, 11:53:13 pm »
1) when you say the sides are going to be removable to replace leds - where you removing from - inside? won't you have to go through the artwork?

so it will be unscrewed from the inside like this

The panel with the artwork will be semi-permanent attached to the mdf. The TV part of cab will have to be pulled apart into its sections to make this repair but this is a repair that should never really ever happen or at least very rarely

2) That control panel looks a little busy to my tastes and detracts from the main feature of your cab which is basically the size! Are they just pretend displays or are they going to be actual ones?

I think at the first time you see it it will a bit distracting especially with all the detail in it. still, I think it will be okay in the end once the novelty wares off a bit. From the screen below you can see that its still a work in progress, many of the labels are cut and paste and so are duplicated and need updating lol

as for the 2nd part of this question, mate I was really looking at putting in real screens with animations lol. but this build is complicated enough lol. So, for now, they are fake screens just in the artwork. I was still looking at recessing them through the composite board and onto the mdf and maybe side lighting them so they at least light up like real screens. something like the roof in this photo

Maybe one day I'll create a version 2 of this control panel which will look more like a real control panel. That was the whole idea behind this version of the artwork. I just didn't know how to make it work. I tried many things.

anyway here are some past designs that made it to a prototype. bare in mind that these are just brainstorming and are nowhere near polished, they were made just to test out ideas

had a friend who helped me out, she is a graphic designer and she took my designs and helped me out with some ideas.

it seemed to me like she had the same idea.. to go for more of a screen type look so I went back to this idea tried a few things before settling on what I have so far

So credit where credit is due, the current designs are heavily based off the Prometheus movie. I used elements from it and reworked them to match my theme. It still took ages!!! I've spent many many hours on this lol

« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 12:02:52 am by chito »

stigzler

• Offline Offline
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #293 on: April 22, 2017, 03:27:25 am »

Here. Some kind of cross between these 3. Only a view, of course.

As for the screens, I'd say go for it! But then again I would say that wouldn't I as I love additional displays on cabs. You can get small 7 inchers from china from next to nothing and the ones I've had have been really good. Guess the only task would be running cables from your main body to your CP, but looks like you got tracks for that already. Of course, you'd also have to have a GPU to accommodate. I just put an additional GPU (nothing fancy as just displays static images and simple movies at relatively low rez) into my my cab. But I guess you could run it off a single if enough outputs.

rablack97

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2022, 06:50:10 pm
  • If you don't try, you have no chance at innovation
« Reply #294 on: April 22, 2017, 06:57:09 pm »
man to all the haters including myself who this was not gonna happen......

Nice work sir.......... :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Ian

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2021, 01:50:35 am
  • "A day without Laughter is a day wasted"
« Reply #295 on: April 23, 2017, 10:19:10 am »
Chito is a stud.... I knew it was going to happen! :cheers:
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:58:57 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
Yeah man, that was hard work giving his mate the CNC file....
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

chito

• Offline Offline
« Reply #297 on: April 23, 2017, 08:09:46 pm »
thanks yotsuya it means a lot that you acknowledge all the hard work I've put into that CNC file lol

lol what a naysayer. but its okay i forgive you, its not your fault you may not know... the hard work isn't in the "cutting of wood", not hard to push wood through a saw. not sure if you're stirring the pot or genuinely don't know. normally i wouldn't say anything because it's dumb. but here is a good chance to talk about the process :)

spent many many nights up till 5:30am working on either the cad files or the artwork for this project and its heaps fun for me. not only do i like to create things but i like to create them well and accurately. when i really get into a project it tends to take over my day to day life for a while. just ask my friends and family how annoying i have been with this lol.

sure this process is sometimes overkill on what essentially is a wooden box. but its a process used on all manufactured goods, from your husbands pink convertible to your genuine zolex watch

:soapbox:
that cnc file represents many many hours of conceptualizing, designing, planning, prototyping, checking, double checking, triple checking, test, review, repeat and repeat.. its understanding materials, aesthetics, design theory. its about creating new solutions to old or new problems. its also an opportunity to use newer building techniques. progress... dont be a dinosaur.

sure you could just decide to get your box of crayons out and wing some lines on some wood and then cut. but this a more precise, calculated engineered solution. and sure it can still be wrong and have mistakes. i guarantee i will find some once i start to put it together... but its about creating something more complicated with way more precision while minimizing mistakes and costs especially on what i would say is a more complicated concept than ur standard arcade cabinet.

tell anyone in product design, manufacturing or rapid prototyping that their work is just a cnc file or just a 3d print and watch them appropriately german suplex you.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 08:23:49 pm by chito »

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #298 on: April 23, 2017, 08:40:05 pm »
If pushing wood through a saw was so easy you would have done that instead of paying for CNC work.

chito

• Offline Offline
« Reply #299 on: April 23, 2017, 08:45:23 pm »
don't have a workshop. either way, still need to borrow/hire equipment. I have a few tools and a garage... but im not going to jigsaw all these panels of wood. that would be murder on your tools and hands. CNC just makes for a more precise solution and worth the extra work if things that fit and come together perfectly is your thing
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 08:46:56 pm by chito »

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #300 on: April 23, 2017, 08:48:03 pm »
It's huge and ugly... but it's well designed, and may be the only design I've ever seen that that damn space paranoinds aircraft carrier is porpotional to.

chito

• Offline Offline
« Reply #301 on: April 23, 2017, 08:52:33 pm »
lol well, that's the other side of things. you can't please everyone. nor should you try to. In the end, i did this for fun and for me. I knew it a risk to try something really different and man once the wood for the side panels got cut I was like "---steaming pile of meadow muffin---!" lol still I'm going to see this through. I have faith that once it all comes together it will turn out great

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #302 on: April 23, 2017, 08:55:07 pm »
Looks tons better than most arcade playing furniture man... and kudos to you for actually building it.

I just hope you never have to move it.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #303 on: April 23, 2017, 09:09:05 pm »
CNC isn't necessarily more precise. A CNC's biggest strength is repeatability. I own a 24x12 CNC. I use it when I need to make 100 of something all exactly the same. If I am building one of something it is easier to use my shop tools.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #304 on: April 23, 2017, 09:12:17 pm »
I was with you until you denigrated the art of woodworking. I have watched professionals at work. It is skill, science, art, and a little bit of magic all rolled together.

chito

• Offline Offline
« Reply #305 on: April 23, 2017, 09:15:38 pm »
So thanks to the cad work i know exactly how much this thing will weigh. Not only that but its center of gravity and other stats which were important since i don't want this thing to fall over and crush someone. Its also helps when i need to know how strong the material needs to be.

I just hope you never have to move it.

I hate moving lol. and this thing is a beast in size. It will have dollies/castor wheels, same as most arcades... but obviously this thing won't really fit in through a normal door and no one is going to lift this heavy thing up some stairs... again thanks to the magic of planning and CAD design I specifically had a solution for this. The cabinet comes apart into 5 sections so its moveable in pieces

CNC isn't necessarily more precise. A CNC's biggest strength is repeatability
I would say there are many benefits. the one I really need here is precision. Obviously, if someone wants a to make their own Monolith then I can just give them the files. the side panels are huge and are layered.. the control panel is layered as well. i need the holes etc to be in the exact right place. because of the joystick light up solution I'm going for i need the right cutouts at the right depths. doing this manually would be way riskier and have defects. not only that I could potentially waste material if a mistake is huge enough. While MDF is cheap. composite board is not. And this is now more than just a wood solution
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 10:20:38 pm by chito »

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #306 on: April 23, 2017, 09:20:30 pm »
There is nothing in your plans that cannot be easily done with good shop tools and a basic understanding of marking and measuring. There is nothing wrong with drawing plans and shipping them to a CNC shop. Just stop saying that CNC precision is required for what you are doing. That is simply not true.

chito

• Offline Offline
« Reply #307 on: April 23, 2017, 09:46:43 pm »
I get that not all the parts need the precision..  some are basic squares or rectangles. But you would cut the following pieces side pieces by hand?

each piece exactly the same with the same curves made up of mdf and aluminum sheets? the mdf had and inner offset of 15mm on the front side for the leds, also not to mention lining up all the screw holes which are not all the same in diameter. the one hole for each screw has 4 cuts at 3 sizes...
  • a 6mm hole in the framework
  • a 6mm hole in the inner comp board for the screw
  • an 8mm pilot hole for the screw insert in the mdf
  • and lastly a 12mm cutout with a 1mm depth in the outer comp board for the insert's head (which is also used to line up the outer side piece)

There are 27 on each side.

similar issue with the control panel and joysticks

Do you want to do all that by hand? While possible it's super impractical. it would take so much more time and has way more risk of failing and costing more money. while of course woodworking is an art (My old man was a carpenter and wood sculptor) CNC is the right tool for this job.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 10:23:48 pm by chito »

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #308 on: April 23, 2017, 10:01:30 pm »
I wouldn't have completely over engineered a simple arcade cabinet to begin with. All of those tabs and slots? 27 screw holes on each side? Its all nonsense. Building this thing with hand tools would be very easy. Just not the way you laid it out. I am done arguing with you about it.

I honestly hope everything goes together well and that you are happy with the final result. I was totally on board the Chito train until now. This is my stop.

chito

• Offline Offline
« Reply #309 on: April 23, 2017, 10:04:52 pm »
I way over thought this build lol that is true, I've said it a few times now. I kinda wanted a challenge and I know I'm bucking the trend here, I like to do things differently. I don't like things that are the same old same old. Still, the hope is that when it all comes together its worth it. and that I've learnt new things and that perhaps others have as well... like don't overthink and complicate things like I have lol
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 10:16:35 pm by chito »

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
I'm just ---smurfing--- with you, Chito. Build what you dig. If it makes you happy, it makes you happy.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #311 on: April 23, 2017, 10:10:18 pm »
Geez Yots. Chito was all warm and cuddly until you posted. Then he tweaked my sensibilities. Now its all a big mess. I blame you. ;D

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
Geez Yots. Chito was all warm and cuddly until you posted. Then he tweaked my sensibilities. Now its all a big mess. I blame you. ;D
Enh, I just like playing bideo gamez.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #313 on: April 23, 2017, 10:26:36 pm »
My mistake was instead of posting I should have just cracked open a beer.

chito

• Offline Offline
« Reply #314 on: April 23, 2017, 10:29:08 pm »
Sorry guys I thought we were exchanging solutions. I was just explaining my choices and giving insight into why i did things this way. I like the banter and the discussion. Isnt that what good mates do? make fun of each other lol. If i didn't like it i wouldn't bother posting. Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers. I blame text-based communications having no tone. If you knew me, you would know that im a joker and upbeat guy.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 10:32:13 pm by chito »

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
Sorry guys I thought we were exchanging solutions. I was just explaining my choices and giving insight into why i did things this way. I like the banter and the discussion. Isnt that what good mates do? make fun of each other lol. If i didn't like it i wouldn't bother posting. Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers. I blame text-based communications having no tone. If you knew me, you would know that im a joker and upbeat guy.
:cheers:

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #316 on: April 23, 2017, 10:52:09 pm »
I will second that. Sorry Chito. I am up past my bedtime. I am a little cranky and I am stuck at work. Attacking your method was dumb and I apologize. I am back on the Chito train.

chito

• Offline Offline
« Reply #317 on: April 23, 2017, 11:25:04 pm »
Attacking your method was dumb and I apologize.

No need :) I don't mind being challenged. In fact, that's how I learn. maybe I missed something, maybe I could've done something better, maybe i am over complicating stuff... Please do challenge my ideas. it's a forum we are here to discuss and make fun of each other lol.

I showed some friends the banter people have been posting. some of it is really really funny, many times I've cracked up at my desk

in fact this comment
Hoover dam didn't require this much planning.

was a ripper! laughed so hard! and so did my mates
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 11:27:30 pm by chito »

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
All of that is cool, but I did go too far. You have been a good sport.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

stigzler

• Offline Offline
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #319 on: April 24, 2017, 01:32:32 am »
So where you at with that cp?