Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Monolith - 55inch vertical screen - project name "go for broke"  (Read 127651 times)

Ian

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2021, 01:50:35 am
  • "A day without Laughter is a day wasted"
Re: Pixel Playcade - 55inch vertical screen - project name "go for broke"
« Reply #160 on: October 23, 2016, 09:07:00 pm »
The name should be

Vertigo

I think that's the winner!
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

chito

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2023, 12:29:26 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,151843.0.html
« Reply #161 on: October 23, 2016, 11:56:07 pm »
Asking the internet to name something by poll??

more like asking the internet for ideas. In the end Ill pick the name. Ive created the poll with the "short" list of names ive collected that i think might match this build. I want to see how well it these name sit with people. On that note please vote for your favorite name here:
Poll (You can select multiple answers but the less the better)

Background
when I started this project i had a name picked out: "retro master"
I even had 2 versions of the logo for use in different places

but as the project progressed and i started adding systems, and also because of how modern the cabinet looked, i thought the name retro master didnt fit anymore :(
but maybe if i use a very modern looking logo it might? i dont know... here is a concept of a more modern looking logo.

i would greatly appreciate people's opinions and votes. retro master is on the list, thats my personal fav. if you think it works please vote for it
Poll
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 12:01:08 am by chito »

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 12:41:11 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
The first one with the triangle looks badass. The last one looks like a bad 90s e-commerce banner.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

chito

• Offline Offline
The first one with the triangle looks badass. The last one looks like a bad 90s e-commerce banner.

yeah its very corporate-ish, i made it in a few minutes just to test ideas. the first 2 have been worked on a lot longer. if i were to use the any name with the word retro in it, i think the logo would have to be more modern looking... to match the cab. i have other ideas to play around with to make the words more fun and game looking.

stigzler

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 11, 2022, 03:01:48 pm
  • It seemed like a good idea at the time....
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #164 on: October 24, 2016, 05:42:24 am »
I'd maybe leave the graphics until you've chosen the title, unless you're just wanting to pass the time...

Or unless you've already chosen the title ;)

chito

• Offline Offline
« Reply #165 on: October 24, 2016, 07:39:53 am »
yeah i was just playing with ideas.exploring whats possible and what sticks to the wall. No name picked yet. still need plenty of help on this one

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 08:21:52 pm
« Reply #166 on: October 24, 2016, 01:26:27 pm »
(scrolled, didn't see sawdust, moved on)

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:05:20 am
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #167 on: October 24, 2016, 03:45:16 pm »
I don't see an airflow plan in that base.  Kinda important.

I don't see one in the monitor box either.

turning a TV meant for horizontal use... vertical... renders all the convection cooling designed in the back useless. all the heatsinks are arranged vertically so convection sucks cold air in the bottom and out the top. it's not arranged properly if turned 90 degrees. you will need to fan force air through the TV.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:09:19 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #168 on: October 24, 2016, 05:37:55 pm »
Rotate the heat sinks, drill some speed holes in the side of the TV, good to go.

Laythe

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 07:19:50 pm
  • "-smurfing- delivers." - Yots
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149109.0.html
« Reply #169 on: October 25, 2016, 05:33:02 am »
turning a TV meant for horizontal use... vertical... renders all the convection cooling designed in the back useless. all the heatsinks are arranged vertically so convection sucks cold air in the bottom and out the top. it's not arranged properly if turned 90 degrees. you will need to fan force air through the TV.

I can see the logic and it sounds plausible to me, but there's quite a few commercial mounting products explicitly for hanging LCD TVs in portrait orientation, which don't seem to carry any warnings or include fan kits.  Vpins and cocktails should be a significantly worse case if this is an issue, I'd think.  Interesting to contemplate.

I'd imagine backlight type would probably make a difference.  The panels I've got with fluorescent tube backlights put out more heat than the ones with LEDs.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:21:02 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #170 on: October 25, 2016, 06:29:47 am »
My name submission "The NeverEnding Story" may not be the best name, but it is the most accurate.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
My name submission "The NeverEnding Story" may not be the best name, but it is the most accurate.
Holy ---fudgesicle---, you win today! :cheers:

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:09:19 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #172 on: October 25, 2016, 09:42:56 am »
Hmm... Neverending Story..... glue some shag carpet to the sides of it and make Limahl-cade.

chito

• Offline Offline
« Reply #173 on: October 25, 2016, 10:21:55 am »

lol i knew why you suggested it. this cracked me up still! maybe i should make this the project name. really close to been done with the plans. control panel is all thats left,
button layout is done. just joystick illumination solution pending.

Poll Update
So on the poll there are 2 names that tied first place so far. Keep the votes coming, then i can sort out the artwork.
vote here https://goo.gl/hchdjk

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #174 on: October 25, 2016, 10:33:07 am »
I am glad you have a good sense of humor about things. A joke is best when it can be enjoyed by the subject as well as everyone else. :cheers:

chito

• Offline Offline
« Reply #175 on: October 27, 2016, 08:44:10 pm »
Poll Update
So there is a clear front runner now. Please keep the votes coming in as i will close the poll this sunday.
To vote please link on this link https://goo.gl/hchdjk

Other Updates
I stayed up to 2am again last night fixing my place. (had carpet replaced in the home and had to move so much around) Good news its all done finally and this weekend ill get back to finishing off the designs for the control panel.

Ive also been finishing off another build called the Brocade. which im creating graphics and photos for

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #176 on: October 28, 2016, 07:48:55 am »
None of my submissions made the poll.  :'(

I worked really hard on those.

chito

• Offline Offline
« Reply #177 on: October 30, 2016, 05:23:45 am »
None of my submissions made the poll.  :'(

I worked really hard on those.

I appreciate the help Mike A. In all i collected a list of about 60 names including some not mentioned in this thread, I selected the short list of names that i thought suited the build and that I could work with (theme/artwork/logo etc).
On that note I want to thank everyone for their input, suggestions, heckling and for voting. As i mentioned before naming is the part i hate the most of any project. Ill be closing the poll soon. there are 2 names that are neck and neck.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 05:57:13 am by chito »

chito

• Offline Offline
« Reply #178 on: October 30, 2016, 05:36:54 am »
Illuminated t-moulding prototype update

i found and bought a new router bit and it worked out great. Here are the results. Note that the photos make the light look more intense than they were in real life. I only had a phone camera and couldnt adjust the metering or exposure setting. in person its a nicer overall pleasant light. I think this came out better in the video
Video is here (dont know why but there seems to be a glitch with the video)

outcomes
  • The silicone wasnt as clear as i thought it was going to be, but i think that worked to my advantage. There was crystal clear silicone at the hardware store but it was 4-5 times more expensive. This translucent white spreads the light really well
  • did the extra depth help? unsure. May need to explore this later, but im gussing it did as the 10mm depth was to close and wouldn't have spread the light as well. Theres even the chance you wouldve seen the dreaded dot look if the LEDs were to close to the t-moulding
  • The T-moulding was added while the silicone was wet, hence the elastic bands, I have another test drying and im going to test if i can cut a slot in silicone after it has set to add the t-moulding. I think a craft knife will work well as the silicone it very flexible and a thin cut will be enough instead of the normal 3/32 slot for t-moulding
  • The silicone is really messy to work with and would definitely need to be added before the artwork and will need some sanding afterwards. this is why a have the 2nd test to see how easy it is to add t-moulding to set silicone
  • removal of the silicone from the grove along with the t-moulding is heaps heaps easy. repairs wont be an issue
  • worst outcome of all... its really hard to get use the trim router to route out the slot. The bit is only 6.4mm (1/4 inch) and needs 2 passes to get the 10mm (2/5 inch) slot. I may need to find a table router or a cabinet maker who could cut out the slots.... or get new parts made every time i stuff it up lol. Took me 5 attempts to make the one used in the photos

Last chance to vote on the name for the build. Closing poll within the next 12 hrs
Vote here
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 09:22:11 am by chito »

thomas_surles

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2023, 07:20:00 pm
« Reply #179 on: October 30, 2016, 07:44:04 am »
It's nice to see a vision come to life. Weather we agree or disagree on this build, I can guarantee everyone here wants to see how this turns out.

menace

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 18, 2023, 10:57:06 am
« Reply #180 on: October 30, 2016, 10:25:17 am »
Admittedly I didn't read all 5 pages but nothing has been cut yet except t-molding??  It looks nice by the way--awfully labour intensive but so is child birth I guess :cheers:
its better to not post and be thought a fool, then to whip out your keyboard and remove all doubt...

rablack97

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2022, 06:50:10 pm
  • If you don't try, you have no chance at innovation
« Reply #181 on: October 30, 2016, 10:47:01 am »
Yeah thats the office joke, wood or it didnt happen.

The only problems, i see is make sure your silicon doesnt yellow, if for some reason you leave that thing on a long time, and those things get hot enough, it will burn and yellow.

And your removing alot of the edge stability, not sure how your gonna put that together but your supports are gonna have to be pretty deep on your panels and you can lean those things on an edge or hit anything on any of those edges, or its gonna break.

Set silicon isnt as dense mdf, and sometime tmoulding has an issue staying in mdf slots.  You might have an issue with your moulding curling up and not being flush along all your edges.

Seems like a lot of work with alot of variables to totally ruin a piece and have to start over, however, I hope you successfully pull it off.  Just make sure your open your eyes to the engineering of the total build while focusing on your effect, they could effect the stability and durability of your cab.

stigzler

• Offline Offline
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #182 on: October 30, 2016, 10:52:43 am »
That's a really cool effect. Would love to hear in time the details around the build realities of it, such as whether you can use shallower channels for the silicone (at the depth - potentially a hell of a lot of silicone!) and the current draw of long lengths. Following with interest.

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 08:21:52 pm
Looks better than many have achieved. 

I'd like to see you you experiment with painting the edges of the MDF white or silver.  I wonder if it would lighten up the edges of the t-molding. 

Also curious if scuffing the backside would get more light to the edges or just screw it up.

Laythe

• Offline Offline
« Reply #184 on: October 30, 2016, 02:30:12 pm »
Nice.  That proof of concept looks like it'll work!  Good diffusion, looks smooth.

I'm not a fan of the redemption machine style you are aiming to evoke, but I've got to admit you are doing a great job of it.  Props for making some sawdust, and for good execution.

It's interesting to me - there had been some conjecture around here that the demise of arcades in the form we knew them in what we thought of as the golden age would eventually lead to the demise of this hobby as time passed and demographics shifted, because nobody - we assumed - would be nostalgic for redemption machines.  Seems we're wrong.  That's kinda cool!

csephiroth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 28, 2022, 12:41:58 pm
  • That which lies ahead....does not yet exist.
My advice on leds. Don't buy cheap ones.  Not sure where or if you got yours yet. Superbrightleds.com has really good stuff.

I have used them and the cheap ones on ebay at work. I use them to light an area on a die cutting machine. The Superbright ones have been used daily for 16 hours or more a day for the past 4 years and are just as bright now as they were when I got them. We have gone through 3 sets of the cheap eBay ones on another machine that is used less than the main one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #186 on: October 30, 2016, 03:07:54 pm »
The effect is pretty good, but I'm with Rablack97 on the integrity of the sides.  By thinning them so much,  you've really weakened them. One good pop and it'll break. Good thing you're still in the proto stage! :cheers:
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 03:16:58 pm by yotsuya »

Laythe

• Offline Offline
« Reply #187 on: October 30, 2016, 03:17:49 pm »
If there weren't any curves, I might suggest cutting the MDF to a simple edge, sourcing aluminum extrusion C channel that is the same exterior width as the MDF thickness, screwing it down every so often through the bottom of the channel into the side of the MDF, then doing the LED/silicone/T-molding stack inside the channel.  Hide the MDF-aluminum seam on the side with filler and sanding.

But, that wouldn't turn smooth radiused corners gracefully.

So instead, I'll suggest sacrificial testing on one of your test pieces.  Find out, how much does it actually take to break that thin lip?  And then see if that worries you.

stigzler

• Offline Offline
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #188 on: October 30, 2016, 03:44:26 pm »
I can see the concerns around the thinking of the cabinet edges. How about using something other than silicone? There must be other materials available that dry harder and will preserve the density of the mdf? Some kind of plastic?

Not up on LED strips - what happens if one goes - do they all go?

Lastly - what about bevelling the edges of the sides at the top by 45degrees? (hard to explain that) - might help with the drop-off that's obvious at the edges of the T-molding.

chito

• Offline Offline
« Reply #189 on: October 30, 2016, 06:08:03 pm »
there seems to be alot of concern about the strength of the lips created by the slot. and in one of my earlier failed attempts a good wack did break it. but i mean a good solid wack. it was also a lot thinner than the one i used in the photos. About half the thickness. this was one of the pros with the epoxy, it drys really solid and hard. but in general im not to concerned about it breaking the lips, its still pretty solid. But... there is one area where its expose the lid to alot of potential damage... at the bottom where people could accidentally kick it.

possible solutions:
  • As mentioned: metal reinforcement/replacement
  • As mentioned: beveled edges
  • shallower slot (needs experimenting)
  • use the solution used by the Timberman machine: so while analysing the photo, if you look very closely, youll notice that the sides are actually 2 sheets of wood. the inner piece has the illuminated t-moulding. the outer piece has the side art and a little bit larger acting like a shield.

out of the 2 solutions, the 2nd sheet of wood would be the cheapest and the least amount of work. and i could use a thinner sheet of mdf. could even use the 2 sheets to hide cables with hidden channels in between the sheets.

you can get a better view of the cabinet on this

The timberman machine isnt available here in Australia yet. It was actually hard to even notice that there are in fact 2 sheets. could someone please do me a mad solid and maybe getting a photo so i can see the offset size? if possible could someone also get a look at the base? in particular how they put the screen section on castor wheels. I've got a copy of the manual (which you can get from the magicplay site) and while it mentions the castor wheels it doesnt show how they are attached. it doesnt make sense to me
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 08:57:11 pm by chito »

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #190 on: October 30, 2016, 06:42:13 pm »
ideally, you wouldn't use a conventional homeless despot 1hp router to do this. you'd use a great big 3.5 or 4hp commercial type router with the power to do it in one fell swoop.

you'd also have it mounted in a table and you'd move your piece through the tool.

looks great though.  :applaud:

chito

• Offline Offline
« Reply #191 on: October 30, 2016, 07:48:30 pm »
The Leds are wired in parallel, which is why you can cut the strip and the lights still work. So if one fails the others will still work but may have a dip in brightness where the down led is, the light is well diffused so that will help.

ideally, you wouldn't use a conventional homeless despot 1hp router to do this. you'd use a great big 3.5 or 4hp commercial type router with the power to do it in one fell swoop.

you'd also have it mounted in a table and you'd move your piece through the tool.
Yeah, as mentioned I'll need access to a table router, so I'll probably need the slot cut out by a cabinet maker. the Trim router is good for normal t-moulding slots but this router bit is a bit harder to use. At least if i still had the plunge router it would've made things easier

The only problems, i see is make sure your silicon doesnt yellow, if for some reason you leave that thing on a long time, and those things get hot enough, it will burn and yellow.

Set silicon isnt as dense mdf, and sometime tmoulding has an issue staying in mdf slots.  You might have an issue with your moulding curling up and not being flush along all your edges.
The silicone i bought has on the packet that its heat resistant, this is a feature i made sure it had (not all do, in fact, some are highly flammable). If it can last a few years then great. It seems easy enough to replace just annoying lol. This is a great point and something ill have to wait and see what happens

poll update
Thank you to everyone who voted, the poll is now closed. There were 2 names that were the definite favourites. and while the tied a few times there was one name that was usually ahead and in the end had the most votes. And its a name im happy to work with.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #192 on: October 31, 2016, 06:57:04 am »
I am very disappointed that you are not using "The NeverEnding Story". It is the perfect name.

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #193 on: October 31, 2016, 01:09:52 pm »

the RGB LED strips (5050 style in particular) are done in batches of 3 LED's in series with multiple sets of 3 in parallel. (makes for easy cutting to length) if you do have one LED go, it takes out the 2 others in that series, but the remaining sets continue to light. All you end up with is an oddly colored (in the case of a mixed color or dead section (in the case of a single color).

a quality LED strip doesn't normally suffer from these types of failures though. it can still happen. if it does, you can cut out the affected section and "splice" in a new one.... although in  this instance, it could be quite difficult since it's basically encased in silicone...you'd have to rip it all out and start fresh.

stigzler

• Offline Offline
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #194 on: October 31, 2016, 01:56:18 pm »
I am very disappointed that you are not using "The NeverEnding Story". It is the perfect name.

It is certainly very apropos. Even the the winning cab name is getting a build up, although I've heard there will shortly be an announcement about when the announcment will be made. Maybe we should have poll to decide the best day to deliver said announcement on.

Only teasin chito, although I do think you should work in the film trailers industry.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline

It is certainly very apropos. Even the the winning cab name is getting a build up, although I've heard there will shortly be an announcement about when the announcment will be made. Maybe we should have poll to decide the best day to deliver said announcement on.

Only teasin chito, although I do think you should work in the film trailers industry.
Well said my friend.

At the rate it's going, instead of calling it The Neverending Story, we could take a hint from Shakespeare and call it Much Ado About Nothing. :-)

chito

• Offline Offline
« Reply #196 on: October 31, 2016, 07:55:20 pm »
sorry about that. i often write up these posts while at work and sometimes im in a rush. totally forgot to announce the winning name, but the thought of having a reveal with artwork did cross my mind. But seeing as how that could be a while here goes

Poll results

there was a pretty good spread of votes across most names with 2 names being the most popular

and with a whooping 27%

Vertigo

is the runner up lol
the winning name with 31% is Monolith courtesy of stigzler, cheers mate
logo and artwork to follow soon (hopefully)

I will make working on the cad files a priority so i can get the wood cut as soon as possible. but im glad i waited as ive ended up finding a few errors when i created the screen shot for the post about the base and now because of the illuminated t-moulding i need to create more pieces
« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 08:41:54 am by chito »

chito

• Offline Offline
« Reply #197 on: October 31, 2016, 08:22:25 pm »
It's interesting to me - there had been some conjecture around here that the demise of arcades in the form we knew them in what we thought of as the golden age would eventually lead to the demise of this hobby as time passed and demographics shifted, because nobody - we assumed - would be nostalgic for redemption machines.  Seems we're wrong.  That's kinda cool!

basing this build on redemption machine was more out of need. i knew i wanted to use a vertical screen becasue of the way it solves the issue of instruction cards, marquees and bezels. it just so happened that the new redemption machines use the same format and after looking around and doing some research i was able to get alot of ideas.

have you seen the new galaga and pac man redemption machines? they look great and i love the way they were able to bring new life into these games. if you think about it classic games which are highscore based are perfect for redemption machines.

becuase this wasnt a restoration or a dedicated cabinet im more free to experiment. things are always going to change, like when crts got replaced with lcds. new tools bring new solutions.

wp34

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #198 on: October 31, 2016, 08:41:17 pm »
I love that you are trying something different.  It is nice to see some R&D around here again.  :cheers:

You should give EL Tape another look.  You shouldn't have to route your slot nearly that deep because diffusing will not be an issue.

Illuminated t-moulding prototype update

i found and bought a new router bit and it worked out great. Here are the results. Note that the photos make the light look more intense than they were in real life. I only had a phone camera and couldnt adjust the metering or exposure setting. in person its a nicer overall pleasant light. I think this came out better in the video
Video is here (dont know why but there seems to be a glitch with the video)

outcomes
  • The silicone wasnt as clear as i thought it was going to be, but i think that worked to my advantage. There was crystal clear silicone at the hardware store but it was 4-5 times more expensive. This translucent white spreads the light really well
  • did the extra depth help? unsure. May need to explore this later, but im gussing it did as the 10mm depth was to close and wouldn't have spread the light as well. Theres even the chance you wouldve seen the dreaded dot look if the LEDs were to close to the t-moulding
  • The T-moulding was added while the silicone was wet, hence the elastic bands, I have another test drying and im going to test if i can cut a slot in silicone after it has set to add the t-moulding. I think a craft knife will work well as the silicone it very flexible and a thin cut will be enough instead of the normal 3/32 slot for t-moulding
  • The silicone is really messy to work with and would definitely need to be added before the artwork and will need some sanding afterwards. this is why a have the 2nd test to see how easy it is to add t-moulding to set silicone
  • removal of the silicone from the grove along with the t-moulding is heaps heaps easy. repairs wont be an issue
  • worst outcome of all... its really hard to get use the trim router to route out the slot. The bit is only 6.4mm (1/4 inch) and needs 2 passes to get the 10mm (2/5 inch) slot. I may need to find a table router or a cabinet maker who could cut out the slots.... or get new parts made every time i stuff it up lol. Took me 5 attempts to make the one used in the photos

Last chance to vote on the name for the build. Closing poll within the next 12 hrs
Vote here

rablack97

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2022, 06:50:10 pm
  • If you don't try, you have no chance at innovation
« Reply #199 on: November 01, 2016, 08:52:45 am »
I've done a little research on this, and for him to do EL tape it would be highly expensive, there is a EL tape that you can get w/o the center line, but from what I've read its not as bright.

The life span of EL tape is around 10,000 hours way less than leds, plus with LEDs he can also change the color if he wanted too.

The runs on this things would require a pretty heft power supply, guesstimated cost would be close to 700-800 to light it up, I was thinking of lighting up the edges on the backbox for my vpin project and the cost was right at around 400.00.

This is a bold move no doubt, long term maintenance and cost would be high on my do I want to really do this list.