Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Rob's Twin 'Metropolis' inspired cabinets. Portal Theme / Spaceship Theme.  (Read 8521 times)

circusfreak

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 10, 2024, 03:00:21 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Here is a pictorial of my recent build(s). These cabinets were heavily inspired by the OND - Metropolis cab thread. They turned out really nice and I'm super happy with the results.

I built 2 'identical' copies of this at once, one for me and one for a friend of mine. Since I was already doing all the design / setup / planning / software config for mine, I figured it would be very little work to press out a 2nd copy of everything. All in all, that was pretty much true. Other than the wiring and the laminating of the panels, cutting 2 of every part was very little extra work.

One aspect of these cabs that is pretty unique (and pretty awesome IMO!) is my collapsible keyboard & mouse tray for PC gaming and admin of the cabinet. Lots of cabs out there have a keyboard tray under the control panel, but mine expands upwards and locks in place, so I have a large gaming tray right at the same level as my control panel, which is very comfortable for playing PC games on a stool. I put in a powerful gaming PC, so I can make full use of it as a multi-purpose gaming station.

The control panel shape is taken from the 'Metropolis' thread, as I loved the look of the graphic rolling over unbroken onto the front of the CP, so I hinged it for access on the bottom. This makes it open up towards the front, totally flat, so it is the most accessible CP I've seen to work on.

Specs:
Cabinet :
77" tall, 24" deep (control panel extends 4" out front and 1.5" off each side), 32.5" wide.
Made of Sanded pine plywood, covered with Wilsonart matte black and matte white laminate sheets.
1/4" tempered glass over the screen. 1/2" MDF routed bezel between glass and monitor (painted black).
Casters and handles.

PC Guts:
32" 1440p monitor. Win 10 PC with RTX 3070 GPU. Logitech 2.1 speaker set.
Running Launchbox / BigBox

Control Guts:
Ultimarc U360 sticks. (White cabinet)
Sanwa JLF 8-ways with octo and round restrictors. (black cabinet)
Ultimarc Ultralux buttons (White cabinet)
Ultimarc Goldleaf buttons with black plungers (black cabinet)
Ultimarc U360 flight stick on each.
Ultimarc J-Stik (JLW) with 4-way restrictor on each.
Ultimarc trackballs.
Ultimarc spin-trak spinners.
Ultimate I/O boards.
Gameongrafix control panel graphics and static marquee.
Pixelcade LCD (white cabinet).

First off, the room my cab is going in, I recently finished remodeling with all white trim and cabinetry, which explains why I was drawn to the white/chrome look for my build. Fits into the room very nicely!

Here are the finished 'twins' (was waiting on my Pixelcade marquee at this point), before the black one leaves for his new home.

Pixelcade LCD really adds a fantastic dimension to the cab. Thanks to Al for the tech support on it! Couldn't be happier with it now!

Stole this idea from the 'Lakeside arcade' thread. Recessed tray to keep the admin buttons from cluttering the control panel, and makes a great spot for a pile of tokens / controllers / cell phone.

Could not ask for a more accessible control panel to work on!

:) My favorite feature, to turn it into a PC gaming station. Also makes admin and setup much more convenient. Stores away into the cab in just 3.5" of space.

Steel pin on tray locks into this steel sleeve to make the KB tray super solid:

Control panel graphic SVG files. If you know the Portal games, the imagery makes more sense. But I think it looks cool anyways. Seemed like a cool theme on a stark white cab. The portal gun and GlaDOS being just sort of shadows I think made it a little less busy feeling. I dig how the row of warning icons looks on the front of the control panel.

Spaceship interior theme for the black cab. Same control layout, so that was nice.

Will add construction pics tomorrow.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 11:38:54 am by circusfreak »

MiteWiseacre

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 16, 2023, 12:01:12 am
Pretty sick

circusfreak

• Offline Offline
Back opens up. Cabinet handles and caster wheels. Might add top fan ventilation if the PC ends up needing it. Still running pretty cool for the most part.

Couple pics of the black cab for my friend.

circusfreak

• Offline Offline
Some construction pics.

Sure glad I bought these when they were still fairly affordable!

Christmas in January!

Logitech 2.1 for the sound. Nice and flat speakers for simple mounting

2 layer door added. LED strip in the gap on 1/2" spacers.

1/2" MDF routed out for the bezels

Contact adhesive warnings are scary. Turn off all gas to the house. BOOM.

Laminating fun

Admin panel recessed tray and tempered glass / bezel installed.

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:35:40 pm
Really nice job.  Those pixelcade monitors look nice - have they improved them recently?  I remember seeing them a while back and pixel was a good description because they looked more like a bunch of individual LEDs instead of a smooth monitor.

The artwork is great too - love me some Portal even though it’s not an arcade game.  Does the flight stick block the monitor at all?

Two at once is pretty ambitious!  You are a good friend.

circusfreak

• Offline Offline
Control panel construction

Prototype CP with rough draft of popup keyboard tray.
The small hinged piece on the back locks the tray in it's upright position

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:21:02 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
Javeryh, Those are LCD marquees that are sold by the PixelCADE people.

circusfreak

• Offline Offline
More random pics.

Glued on some switches to the coin mech to activate when pushing in the reject plunger.

Used the VESA mounts on a carrier board pocket holed to the side braces.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 10:42:05 am by circusfreak »

fytr

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 07, 2021, 10:39:46 am
Wow. Just beautiful!  Really nice work, congrats.

circusfreak

• Offline Offline
Really nice job.  Those pixelcade monitors look nice - have they improved them recently?  I remember seeing them a while back and pixel was a good description because they looked more like a bunch of individual LEDs instead of a smooth monitor.

The artwork is great too - love me some Portal even though it’s not an arcade game.  Does the flight stick block the monitor at all?

Two at once is pretty ambitious!  You are a good friend.

Thanks!

The Pixelcade people have the LED matrix style low-res marquee, and fairly recently added these LCD marquees as well. It is a 1920x360 LCD and it looks super crisp! Really happy I added it to my build! Prices are steep for the LCDs but this was my 'spare no expense' futureproof build (I hope) so it's worth it to me.

The flight stick does not block the monitor. it is just slightly shorter than the lower part of the monitor bezel, so it doesn't impede view even when sitting on a stool in front. Really glad I added it. It opens up a lot more game options of things I could not play on my previous cab.

Raktageno

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 29, 2024, 04:34:50 pm
  • Witty Comment!
These look really well done! Your attention to detail is phenomenal. A white cabinet in what appears to be a dining room makes me nervous. Pasta sauce, uh, finds a way.

I'd like to know more about those trackballs. I'm planning on putting one in my current build. What size? Where did you get them?

I'd also like more about that keyboard tray. In my head, it would be neat, but I worry also a bit clunky.

Great idea on the recessed admin buttons, and having tokens there is really cool.

circusfreak

• Offline Offline
These look really well done! Your attention to detail is phenomenal. A white cabinet in what appears to be a dining room makes me nervous. Pasta sauce, uh, finds a way.

I'd like to know more about those trackballs. I'm planning on putting one in my current build. What size? Where did you get them?

I'd also like more about that keyboard tray. In my head, it would be neat, but I worry also a bit clunky.

Great idea on the recessed admin buttons, and having tokens there is really cool.

The room it's in is my rec room I just finished remodeling last year. Opposite the arcade is a countertop with stools, which sits behind the cinema chairs and big TV. No pasta sauce castoff issues! I also put an HDMI output port on the front door of the cab, so I can occasionally run a cable over to the big TV to play PC games on there. So the gaming PC in the cab can serve multiple uses.

It is an Ultimarc 3" trackball.
https://www.ultimarc.com/trackballs-and-spinners/trackballs/
Looks great when lit up, and works awesome.

The keyboard tray turned out better than I'd hoped. It is not clunky at all. It rides on heavy duty ball bearing drawer slides, and hides away into the machine in 3.5" of height. You pull it out and expand it upward (I got the idea from those collapsible folding utility crates). Then there is a small hinged panel which pops in place between the supports to keep it from wobbling. Finally, there are steel cotter pins on both sides which slide into steel sleeve catch on the side of the cabinet. The resulting platform is quick to get out and stow, and it is super stable when locked. It does not move at all. I have played a couple hours at a time on PC FPS games and I'm super happy with it!

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:41:11 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
Nice job. I like the lighting. Subtle, not garish. Some guys go way overboard,  it you kept it tasteful. Great cab!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

firedance

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:05:51 pm
Back opens up. Cabinet handles and caster wheels. Might add top fan ventilation if the PC ends up needing it. Still running pretty cool for the most part.

Its not so much the PC producing heat but the 2 monitors you have might give out way more, might get away with just vents near the top at the rear to let the hot air out or maybe a couple of quiet 120mm fans, guess the vent at the bottom is just a vent ?

circusfreak

• Offline Offline

Its not so much the PC producing heat but the 2 monitors you have might give out way more, might get away with just vents near the top at the rear to let the hot air out or maybe a couple of quiet 120mm fans, guess the vent at the bottom is just a vent ?

Yeah, I'll keep tabs on it. Those cabinet handles are open on the bottom so it does have a way to passively get rid of some of that hot air. My plan was to throw a couple 120mm fans on the top if I need to. Thanks!

circusfreak

• Offline Offline
Nice job. I like the lighting. Subtle, not garish. Some guys go way overboard,  it you kept it tasteful. Great cab!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks!

Yeah, I wanted some nice accent lighting on the front door (as in the 'Metropolis' design I based it on), so the LED strip under the floating panel lights the front door nice and evenly. I recessed the LED strip far enough in between the panels that the LED point sources are not visible. I dislike when you can see those bright little dot points head-on. The LED lighting on the black cab is also pretty good, but doesn't illuminate as nicely as the white one.

EvilNuff

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 24, 2024, 04:41:13 pm
Re: Rob's Twin 'Metropolis' inspired cabinets. Portal Theme / Spaceship Theme.
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2021, 09:38:40 am »
Just stumbled across this, nice builds!  How do the CP's feel spacing wise?  The flight stick in particular looks like the p2 joystick might get in the way?

circusfreak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2021, 04:12:34 pm »
Just stumbled across this, nice builds!  How do the CP's feel spacing wise?  The flight stick in particular looks like the p2 joystick might get in the way?

Thanks!
The spacing of everything turned out just about perfect. I did an MDF mockup first to make sure no controls got in the way of others. I use the flight stick a lot and my arm lands to the right of the other stick so it works. Many months of daily play and I can't think of anything I'd change this time around. The perk of this being my 2nd cabinet(s) I guess. Cheers.

Ond

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:55:34 am
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2021, 08:24:47 pm »
I'm most impressed by the build quality, can see this isn't your first rodeo ha hah.  :cheers:

thebyter

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:27:04 pm
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2021, 03:12:06 am »
Really nice cab, @circusfreak!  You should be proud!

This is almost exactly the cab I was planning to build -- do you, by chance, have any plans you'd be willing to share?  Thanks!

javeryh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:35:40 pm
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2021, 09:00:28 am »
Really nice cab, @circusfreak!  You should be proud!

This is almost exactly the cab I was planning to build -- do you, by chance, have any plans you'd be willing to share?  Thanks!

Here you go.  http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,118612.0.html

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:21:02 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2021, 11:11:55 am »
Your posts go back to 2011 talking about building a cab.

Let's ---smurfing--- do this.

Go get some lumber and we can get started.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2021, 11:44:10 am by Mike A »

thebyter

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:27:04 pm
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2021, 01:19:12 pm »
... have any plans ... ?
Here you go.  Ond's Metropolis cab
Oh, sure enough!  I missed right there in the thread title where you mentioned Metropolis.  Duh.   :-[  Thanks for confirming, anyway!

Thanks, @circusfreak (and @Ond)!

circusfreak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2021, 10:26:21 pm »
I'm most impressed by the build quality, can see this isn't your first rodeo ha hah.  :cheers:

Thanks Ond! Glad you like it! I'm just really happy with the overall shape and style from your original plans. The 2-layered door with LEDs between really pops, especially with the white laminate on mine. That was the one detail from your plan that really drew me in.

I've been using the popup keyboard/gaming tray a lot more recently for modern PC games. I'm super happy with how nicely that turned out. It's the one design piece I haven't seen on any other cabinets to date. Accidentally designed it by putting my keyboard on a plastic collapsible crate while I was outfitting the PC.

When will see your version of your design?! I am still enamored by your artwork for it. Would be awesome to see it in reality.

afbl

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 05, 2022, 11:48:23 am
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2021, 04:42:30 pm »
Do you have any measurements of your control panel or perhaps a digital layout?  I'm a big fan of your design and want to try to replicate it.  Thanks