Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Most Reliable "Megatouch" Product Line  (Read 3166 times)

TalkingHeadsFan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 17, 2019, 03:29:46 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Most Reliable "Megatouch" Product Line
« on: October 03, 2016, 01:27:18 pm »
Hi All,

A friend is asking for recommendations on which type of Megatouch to buy for man-cave use. He's not very technically inclined and values reliability. Which would you guys recommend? From what I've read, it looks like the Aurora should be avoided, but the Force eVo series and RX seem pretty solid. Can anyone provide any additional insight on this?

P.S. I've looked around for solutions on getting Megatouch software to run on an off-the-shelf touchscreen PC for him, but it seems like those days are in the distant future so the real deal is the only option.

Thanks in advance,
-Doug

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:41:53 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
Re: Most Reliable "Megatouch" Product Line
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 02:20:26 pm »
to be quite honest, they all kind of have their own faults.

so far I've found the RX is the most reliable (mainly because of the motherboard) it does have issues with the backlight inverter for the screen, but it's easily replaced if it does fail.

the aurora is not a bad unit per se... the motherboard overheating is the issue with those. but if you swap the motherboard for one they use in an RX, it's a solid machine.

The EVO series should probably be avoided. way too much crammed into the case to effectively cool it without extensive modification. it's doable... but once modded though, they are not bad. overheating power supplies and CPU's are the main issues with these units.

orizzle

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2020, 07:20:41 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 07:16:33 pm »
My vote is aurora. I've had 1rx and 1 monitor go bad. Never a problem with an aurora.

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:05:53 pm
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 07:20:10 pm »
Yeah the widescreen aurora is the most reliable. It comes with the intel atom mobo by default. Runs pretty cool. As long as the stock fans are working/running, i doubt it would ever overheat.

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:41:53 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2016, 02:13:57 pm »
yes, the atom motherboards are the bombdiggity. bugger all for cooling needed.