Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: RetroPie and iPac terminal mapping for buttons  (Read 3722 times)

AndersHP

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 02, 2017, 02:27:57 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
RetroPie and iPac terminal mapping for buttons
« on: September 28, 2016, 02:07:40 pm »
Hi y'all

Forgive me for this probably very elementary question, but I cannot seem to find anyone who posted how they have setup their buttons on their cabinets, and how these are connected to their iPacs.

I'm about to build a setup with 6 actionbuttons pr. player, 1 start and 1 coin button pr. player and three additional buttons (because... this seems like a standard setup). I'm thinking the three extras could be one on each side and one in the middle, for menu-browsing purposes and maybe to be mapped as pinball buttons in specific games. The middle button I'm thinking could be pause and exit or something like that.

But what have you assigned your 6 action buttons as? X,Y,A and B, and then what?

What about the connections to the terminals on the iPac? I'm especially thinking about the three "non-player" buttons. I don't know where to put these.

AndersHP

• Offline Offline
Re: RetroPie and iPac terminal mapping for buttons
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2016, 03:14:52 pm »
Really, no one wants to share how they connected non-playerbuttons to the iPac and what your button layout consists of?

ivwshane

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 24, 2022, 09:35:21 pm
    • My first mame cab! (WIP)
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2016, 07:46:08 am »
For retropi, I'd make it x, y, a, b, l, r. As far as how you connect it to the iPac, I don't know because I plan on using the pi's gpio pins for my controllers.

AndersHP

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2016, 10:53:13 am »
Ok thanks.
But what about the last buttons? AFAIK there's only terminals on the Ipac for either player 1 and player 2, but the last three ones is menu-specific buttons ..?

ivwshane

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 24, 2022, 09:35:21 pm
    • My first mame cab! (WIP)
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2016, 05:53:35 pm »
I use recalbox which is an offshoot of retropi, the only other non player buttons I need is the hotkey button but I plan on adding an exit button and a pause button. The hotkey button doesn't need to be its own button either but you would want to make it so that it's a button people won't normally use in conjunction with other buttons (either accidentally or intentionally).

It doesn't matter if those admin buttons are on the player one side or player two.