Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Wiring a Happ Joystick to a zero delay encoder.  (Read 10747 times)

roorooroo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 20, 2020, 05:40:41 pm
Wiring a Happ Joystick to a zero delay encoder.
« on: September 27, 2016, 07:48:36 am »
I have a zero delay encoder with 2 faux-sanwa joysticks which i don't get on with due to their loose movement. This is the one i have.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Player-Arcade-Game-DIY-Bundle-Kits-USB-Controller-Joystick-20-LED-Buttons-/262369936682?hash=item3d1677852a:g:lpgAAOSwoBtW1-tH

So i'm after a couple of happ style joysticks as these usually have stiffer movement.

The encoder has 4 2pin connections for the happ style joystick..and in the instructions it says...quote "2 pin type joystick: please separated the direction and connect the wires into the encoder ports"
I'm not sure what that means?  I notice there's no ground so how would i connect up a happ joystick to this encoder, just connect up, down left and right to the happ's microswitches ?

Cheers.

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Wiring a Happ Joystick to a zero delay encoder.
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 08:17:23 am »
Yep -- the encoder if ordered for a Happ joystick will come with 4 2 wire wires rather than the Sanwa type that comes with a single 5 pin wire. And on the ZD encoder there are 2 separate plugs one that has a 5-pin connector and the other is a bank of 4 2 pin connectors that are labeled Up, Down, Left, and right - So if using the Happ joystick you use the 4 2 pin wires to go to each of the microswitch NO and Ground connections and then plug into one of the 4 2 pin spots on the encoder labeled Up, Down, etc. depending on which connection it is for. And the 5 pin connection on the encoder will be left empty. (both the 5 pin joy and the bank of 4 2 pin are connected together internally on the board so you use one or the other not both - since they both give the same inputs to the system and can not be used for seperate joysticks.

The ground wire for the Happ type is separate for each direction thus each has 2 pins (one for that direction and 1 ground) where the Sanwa type has a common ground and 4 directional connections in the 5-wire plug)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 08:19:38 am by JDFan »

roorooroo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 04:58:29 pm »
Thanks JDFan..i think i understand..lol..i'm sure i will work it out...first thing i need are some 2 pin connectors as all the connectors that came with the encoder were 3 pin.
These i presume..https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01CFRYE16/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1GXIJRJEHGVBN

Would i need anything else cable wise?

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 05:18:01 pm »
Thanks JDFan..i think i understand..lol..i'm sure i will work it out...first thing i need are some 2 pin connectors as all the connectors that came with the encoder were 3 pin.
These i presume..https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01CFRYE16/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1GXIJRJEHGVBN

Would i need anything else cable wise?

Ohh - my mistake didn't notice in your original post that you have LED buttons -- the 3 pin connectors are correct for those - as each button also has connections for the LED lights - so the 12 3 pin connections would be for your buttons.

You just need replacements for the 2 - 5 pin joystick wires ( so for the 2 encoder set you will need 8 2 pin connectors) - or alternatively you could use the 5 pin connection for the joystick to the encoder and then splice the 5 wires and add wire to it that runs to each of the microswitch connections ( right, left,up, down wire to each of the 4 microswitch NO connection and then make a ground daisy chain with 4 connectors that runs from the encoder to each of the 4 microswitch Ground connections ) So for example the Up wire from the encoder would run to the NO connection on the Up direction microswitch - Left to Left - right to right - and down to down then the remaining wire (the ground) would have a daisy chain of 4 connectors that runs from the encoder to the left ground on the left microswitch on the first connection of the daisy chain - then to the right  ground of the right microswitch - etc.

Here is a wiring diagram for those LED ZD encoders that might help :

« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 05:27:22 pm by JDFan »

roorooroo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 05:42:05 pm »
Thanks for the great reply JDFan..i'll order those connectors now and hopefully your assistance will bear fruit!
I'll re-read your post when they arrive!!!

FakedPotato

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 31, 2018, 05:11:42 pm
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2018, 02:57:10 pm »
Hey guys,Joining the party late lol.. 

Thanks for all your help guys,

I have one simple question.

I ordered the Happ joystick wiring kit, i wanted to know where the blue and white wires went, does blue go to NO3 or COM?

Thanks, Ben

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 29, 2021, 11:25:52 am
  • Spectrum
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157647.0.html
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2018, 08:59:31 am »
Hey guys,Joining the party late lol.. 

Thanks for all your help guys,

I have one simple question.

I ordered the Happ joystick wiring kit, i wanted to know where the blue and white wires went, does blue go to NO3 or COM?

Thanks, Ben
Color doesn't matter.