Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Zero Delay USB Encoder Questions - 2pin / 5pin Sanwa Joystick  (Read 7036 times)

peeg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 18, 2017, 06:43:33 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Zero Delay USB Encoder Questions - 2pin / 5pin Sanwa Joystick
« on: September 25, 2016, 07:13:17 am »
Hi guys, apologies for the basic questions.

I'm looking to make my first build and ordered a couple of these encoders off ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zero-Delay-Arcade-USB-Encoder-PC-to-Joystick-Button-For-MAME-Fight-Stick-Control-/311682257718

I plan to use two Sanwa joysticks, one for each player. I just read something about there being two versions of the encoder - 2 and 5 pin. Looking at the pic it seems all the wires are 2 pin, so does this mean I've ordered the wrong one? :/ If so, being fairly cheap should I just order the 5 pin versions or are there little connectors I can get hold of easily that'll do it?

Also, I ordered two - one for each player as someone else recommended, as I'll ideally have 6 buttons each, plus a handful of extras, volume, start, exit, 1/2 player etc. Just want to double check I can use two like this?

Also, also (sorry!) - it says suitable for happ style buttons. Does this mean Sanwa buttons will not work with it?

Thanks.

EDIT : I ordered the Xin Mo encoder which fits Sanwa, so I guess/hope I'm covered.  What I'll probably do is use one for a smaller or test build with cheapo buttons etc. at some point and use one for the main build.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 12:14:10 pm by peeg »

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
Re: Zero Delay USB Encoder Questions - 2pin / 5pin Sanwa Joystick
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 12:07:06 pm »
THe encoder itself has both the 2 pin and 5 pin connector for the joystick -- the 2 different ones just include 1 or the other type of wire but usually your joystick comes with the wire also so you should be fine

As for the Happ style buttons the Quick disconnects on them are larger than the Sanwa so the wires will work with the SANWA buttons but will need to be crimped down onto the connector to make them stay as they are actually larger than needed ( which is why they sell them with either set of wiring and normally you would purchase the one including the wires you need ) ie. for your setup you wanted to order the encoder with the 5 pin joystick and Sanwa button wire set ( you could try PMing the place you purchased from and tell them you ordered the wrong one and they can usually change it if it has not already been mailed.

And if it was already mailed you will probably be fine - if your joystick came with the 5-pin wire you can use it and the Happ connectors are just larger than needed but can be partially closed with pliers to make them hold to one side of the connector and it will work fine ( or you can make/order new wires if needed )

And yes using 2 is fine --- they show up as a gamepad with 12 butttons so using 2 will just show up as 2 gamepads each with 12 buttons and you just assign the key presses as needed in MAME settings

What you should have ordered is this model : (notice the 5 pin wire and smaller connector ends for the Sanwa buttons

Instead of this Happ one :

« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 12:15:56 pm by JDFan »

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:08:16 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 12:14:11 pm »
Welcome aboard, Peeg.   ;D

I plan to use two Sanwa joysticks, one for each player. I just read something about there being two versions of the encoder - 2 and 5 pin. Looking at the pic it seems all the wires are 2 pin, so does this mean I've ordered the wrong one? :/ If so, being fairly cheap should I just order the 5 pin versions or are there little connectors I can get hold of easily that'll do it?
I thought the ZD encoder had both 2-pin and 5-pin joystick connections.   :dunno

Both work the same way electrically and it's easy to convert if you have the right size/gender "dupont" connectors and Quick Disconnects. (QDs)

Sanwa "2-pin" JLW -- wires connect to the NO (Normally Open) and COM (Common) of each individual microswitch

Sanwa "5-pin" JLF -- one wire replaces the four COM wires and the other four work the same as the NO wires

it says suitable for happ style buttons. Does this mean Sanwa buttons will not work with it?
Happ buttons have 0.187" or 0.250" wide male tabs.

Sanwa buttons have 0.110" wide male tabs.

Good news: Sanwa-size male tabs (left) will fit into the Happ-size female QDs. (right)

Bad news: Because of the width difference, they are more likely to work loose and fall off if you wiggle the wire.

Keep the wires from wiggling and it should work fine.

Scott

peeg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 18, 2017, 06:43:33 am
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2016, 12:23:15 pm »
Thanks guys, very helpful.

The ZD has 2 and 5 pin for the joystick I think yeah but I noticed it doesn;t have the 5 pin wire in the 2 pin/Happ version I bought, although maybe this just comes with the joysticks anyway?

I ordered a Xin Mo Encoder for Sanwa stuff also so I should be covered for both hopefully, and I'm sure I'll mess something up with one (or both) of them so it'll be handy to have a backup.

Alsoi I was looking at LED buttons and found Ultimarc https://www.ultimarc.com/ultralux.html which seem to be the leading brand? It says 4.8mm tabs so I'm guessing these are Happ style - is there a Sanwa size equivalent in LED?

« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 12:26:41 pm by peeg »