Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Gameshark questions:  (Read 4911 times)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Gameshark questions:
« on: September 20, 2016, 10:53:37 pm »
Ok another strange question for you guys.  So I picked up a psx for the dozen or so games I like on the system.   I also want to get a gameshark so I can run burned discs.  I looked online to get more info but there seems to be some confusion.  I know the version 5.0 won't stop the disc so that won't work, but I can't find any way of identifying the various versions.... apparently there are 18 if you count all regions.  Also wtf are "Gameshark Lite" and "Gameshark Cheats N' Codes"?

All of the gamesharks seem relatively inexpensive, but I really don't want to start a collection of them.  So if you have one and it works or backups I would appreciate a pic or description. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
Re: Gameshark questions:
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 10:24:26 pm »
So no help on this one?

I guess I'll just throw caution to the wind and buy one at random.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:58:32 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 02:45:00 pm »
PS2 and PS3 are fairly easily modded and support PS1, so everyone forgot how to mess with the PS1.  :-P

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 09:03:31 pm »
I understand, but I really have no desire to own a ps2 as it's an inferior xbox.  PS3 maybe.  I wasn't really aware it is psx stuff other than via downloads. 

Well 5.0 was released in 2002 according to the internet, so I bought a disc with a 2000 copyright on the label.  We'll see if I wasted my money after it comes in. 

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2023, 07:20:00 pm
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2016, 09:10:40 pm »
I understand, but I really have no desire to own a ps2 as it's an inferior xbox.  PS3 maybe.  I wasn't really aware it is psx stuff other than via downloads. 

Well 5.0 was released in 2002 according to the internet, so I bought a disc with a 2000 copyright on the label.  We'll see if I wasted my money after it comes in.
If it doesn't work let me know. I have a few, I don't remember if they are ps2 or ps1. I'll check tomorrow. But if it's ps1 I can check the disc swap and if that works you can has.

harveybirdman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2024, 12:40:25 pm
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2016, 10:15:21 pm »
I have one somewhere in the attic if you want it.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2016, 10:29:51 pm »
I bought some swap disc 10+ years ago that came with a spring loaded kickstand to make the system think the tray was closed.  Probably paid $10 for it.....

:dunno

Isn't it fully emulated on original Xbox?

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2016, 10:42:33 pm »
Yes it is. Also a modchip from Eurasia.com is extremely cheap and easy to install. Took 5 minutes.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2016, 11:10:59 pm »
I bought some swap disc 10+ years ago that came with a spring loaded kickstand to make the system think the tray was closed.  Probably paid $10 for it.....

:dunno

Isn't it fully emulated on original Xbox?

It is, but I'm trying to get away from emulation, for consoles at least.  It must be some kind of psychological thing, but when I throw a bunch of roms on a pc I seldom play them.  If I have the physical system I tend to play more.  Anyway I should be fine.  I got a disc for 10 bucks, which seems to be the going rate. I'll have to dig a spring out of my parts bin or use some tape or something. 

Also my xbox is still busted.  There's another big yard sale coming up, so if I'm able to go maybe I can pick another up.  Honestly the 1 dollar wii was a hell of a deal but I walked away from most of the stuff for fear I wouldn't have room in the house.  4:3 computer lcds for 10 bucks.  Tons of ps2/ps3 junk.  There was also one of those fancy custom xbox 360's with matching controllers for 50.   I hadn't went for years because I thought all the good stuff was gone, but I think now that the consoles are transitioned to a new generation again people are selling games. 

I'm working on organizing my systems right now.  I'll post pics somewhere once I get things how I like it. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2016, 03:52:20 pm »
Bah!  The guy sent me a gameshark 2 companion disc, which doesn't really help.  Oh well..... I'll get it sorted eventually. 

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2016, 04:18:13 pm »
Seriously though you should get this. http://www.eurasia.nu/shop/product_info.php?cPath=52&products_id=276&PHPSESSID=68d5d3aa9db8a8baa0995740ad53e51d
$4, Takes 5 minutes to put in and I have next to no soldering experience.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2016, 05:39:35 pm »
I think it might be simpler in the long run.  I was just trying to keep from modding this one as it's fairly mint looking.  Do you have a diagram of the install?  PSX junk seems to have been lost to time, probably because of the reason pbj mentioned. 

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2016, 05:57:31 pm »
I think it might be simpler in the long run.  I was just trying to keep from modding this one as it's fairly mint looking.  Do you have a diagram of the install?  PSX junk seems to have been lost to time, probably because of the reason pbj mentioned.
It depends on your model number. Which one do you have?

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2016, 06:05:17 pm »
I have a 7501 so I used this one.

Also the 7501 has the metal shield I had to remove. It was easy though, I just held the iron to the points and pulled.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2016, 07:07:30 pm »
It's a 9001 model. 

Those look like some small pads.  The fact that they don't have through holes is what worries me. 

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2016, 07:15:38 pm »
The trick for me was to coat the tip of the wire with solder, hold it on the points and give it a quick touch with the iron.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2016, 10:55:48 pm »
I've fixed tricker stuff, but that was before my eye started to get bad.  I'll have to see how my vision is once I heal up.  I'm man enough to admit I'm a little scared.  I like to tinker and these last couple of months have made that nearly impossible.  I mean the doctor is optimistic, but they never really know how much of an improvement it will be until everything heals up.  Adhesion growth is always a possibility with any kind of surgery and I've known people who had worse vision due to it. 

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2016, 12:05:59 am »
An original Xbox runs emulated psx games pretty well for me. Why bother with burning discs and dealing with a game shark.  ::)

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2016, 07:10:59 am »
An original Xbox runs emulated psx games pretty well for me. Why bother with burning discs and dealing with a game shark.  ::)
I see what you did there. You 2 will never agree on anything.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2016, 09:45:31 am »

$20 vs $185.

Try harder.

:lol

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2016, 10:01:57 am »
This is the one you need.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2016, 11:57:13 am »

$20 vs $185.

Try harder.

:lol

Original Xbox's can be had for $40 on CL. Spend the time you would to track down blank-CDRs and burn them with modding the Xbox and you have yourself a sweet emulation machine for PSX, and "including NES games".
;)

I see what you did there. You 2 will never agree on anything.
We agree on some things, I'm sure. Just not when it comes down to Nintendo fanboy'ism, or anything hardware related .

Edit: nvm looking at my post history, we don't agree on anything.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 12:15:49 pm by opt2not »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2016, 12:48:57 pm »
We don't agree because I use things like logic and common sense with my projects while you just throw money at the wall to see what sticks.  You didn't even understand pbj's comment you are so out of it.  He meant my option to use real hardware costs me roughly 20 bucks.... not a big deal at all.  Your option to use a fake (although admittedly nice) nes is costing you an extra 185 bucks.  There isn't a comparison.  I mean I'm glad you are doing well financially, I genuinely am, but when you said a 200+ dollar purchase was cheap enough to be an impulse buy you lost 90% of the people in the forum.

I'm not picking on you man but surely you see that you are just angry because we are right.  Enjoy your avs... it sounds like you are... but understand that no amount of arguing is going to magically make you right. 

Nintendo fanboyism doesn't even fall into the equation.  We are discussing a psx in this thread and a fake nes in the other.  If you spent  200+ on a genesis with hdmi out I would have made the exact same arguments.  They don't make hdmi out genesis consoles though, because nobody would buy them.  If anything buying a avs just for the purpose of playing real carts makes you the fanboy as no casual collector would pay that much.   The only reason you mentioned it is because Malenko said it in another thread and it obviously hurt my feelings so you've decided to intentionally hurt my feelings with is far worse.  Nice job there.   

Also what a colossal dick move to see me open up about my fears and decide to make a snarky post after it. 

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2016, 01:40:25 pm »
I don't see why every time someone disagrees with you you have to act like a sourpuss and throw personal insults at them.

Logic and common sense? That's subjective to one's situation. My style differs from yours, but I don't berate you for it.

ark_ader

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2016, 04:58:25 am »
... but I don't berate you for it.

There is your problem right there.  ;)
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.