Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Lets talk paint... Satin vs Hammered vs Gloss vs ???  (Read 9514 times)

vaderag

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 16, 2023, 05:11:02 am
  • Building my own cab :)
Lets talk paint... Satin vs Hammered vs Gloss vs ???
« on: September 16, 2016, 08:47:55 am »
So I'd like to make sure i get the right paint for my Cab. The sides and CP are going to be Vinyl, but the rest is going to be black paint...

Ideally, i'd like to get that matt vinyl type finish to match the rest, but i'm not sure if this is possible with paint? If it is, can someone please tell what i need to look for?

Failing that, would people recommend satin/gloss/hammered to get the best match for the matt vinyl? Anyone got pics that might help compare?

Thanks!

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2021, 12:21:09 pm
  • Don't half-ass two things, whole-ass one thing.
Re: Lets talk paint... Satin vs Hammered vs Gloss vs ???
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2016, 10:52:42 am »
would people recommend satin/gloss/hammered to get the best match for the matt vinyl? Anyone got pics that might help compare?

Rust-Oleum makes a Satin Black that has a very nice finish to it. Might take a few cans of paint if you have a large area but man ...this stuff is legit.

I recommend first putting down one layer of Kilz Primer This primer can seal off any cracks or oils on the wood and make a perfect bed for the black satin to sit on. Throw one layer of primer on and it sands as smooth as a baby's bottom. Then do a minimum of 2 layers of the black satin.

I'm extremely happy with the results on my mini Q*bert. And BYOAC user yotsuya recommended it to me.
If you can read this, it means Photobucket's money grab ruined my signature photos.

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2016, 11:09:49 am »
would people recommend satin/gloss/hammered to get the best match for the matt vinyl? Anyone got pics that might help compare?

Rust-Oleum makes a Satin Black that has a very nice finish to it. Might take a few cans of paint if you have a large area but man ...this stuff is legit.

I recommend first putting down one layer of Kilz Primer This primer can seal off any cracks or oils on the wood and make a perfect bed for the black satin to sit on. Throw one layer of primer on and it sands as smooth as a baby's bottom. Then do a minimum of 2 layers of the black satin.

I'm extremely happy with the results on my mini Q*bert. And BYOAC user yotsuya recommended it to me.

That does look nice!! Hope I can source it in the UK!! Presumably that's a different finish to any other big standard satin?
I have Rustin's primer but sure essentially the same your suggestion

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2016, 11:18:00 am »
Presumably that's a different finish to any other big standard satin?
I think the real key is to get satin black. Rust-oleum here in the US just happens to make the best version I think. I'm sure you will find a good satin in the UK as well. If you are trying to duplicate the same black that was used on many arcade games, then satin is the way to go.
I have Rustin's primer but sure essentially the same your suggestion
I also think the key here is to get a primer that can seal the surface well. This is especially important on fibrous wood. The primer will sand really smooth leaving a really great surface for the satin to adhere to.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 10:47:10 am by vwalbridge »
If you can read this, it means Photobucket's money grab ruined my signature photos.

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:47:27 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2016, 03:08:53 pm »
we use what's called "Mica Black" (also called "Black Mica" it goes on with a slight blue/grey tint to it but dries ultra black that very closely matches the original black laminate used to build arcade cabinets.

We have it mixed as a standard latex paint gallon bucket. satin finish. we use a "paint and primer in one" type of paint. (commonly sold by CIL and BEHR) like what you would use to paint your walls in your house.

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2016, 05:25:33 pm »
we use what's called "Mica Black" (also called "Black Mica" it goes on with a slight blue/grey tint to it but dries ultra black that very closely matches the original black laminate used to build arcade cabinets.

We have it mixed as a standard latex paint gallon bucket. satin finish. we use a "paint and primer in one" type of paint. (commonly sold by CIL and BEHR) like what you would use to paint your walls in your house.
Who makes that? Stuggling to find anything called Mica Black paint, except mentions on Forums!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 04:33:17 am by vaderag »

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2016, 11:26:31 am »
is actually a color tint. like what you would go to the color wall and pick out a card and have them mix it up.

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2016, 11:28:11 am »
is actually a color tint. like what you would go to the color wall and pick out a card and have them mix it up.
Ah, gotcha!!

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2016, 12:35:17 pm »
 :cheers:

n3wt0n

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 27, 2024, 05:03:38 pm
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2016, 08:54:04 am »
Here are a couple recent posts that hit the main forum regarding paint. I think there is some great information in there regarding what paint types and which rollers seem to produce the best amounts. You not only need the right paint, you also need the right rollers and to put in the right amount of preparation - a quality paint finish is something that really relies on the quality of work that goes on before the actual painting process. Good luck.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,151673.0.html

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,151549.0.html

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2016, 07:55:24 am »
Slightly (but not entirely) off my initial line of questioning, but for the sides/cp where i'm applying vinyl, does it need priming? Presuming priming yes, paint no, but thought I'd check...

Thanks!

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2016, 02:33:08 pm »
i'd say if you're going 100% coverage with the art, just prime and sand it smooth.

if you are planning on painting a portion and side art a portion or your art is cut with a reveal around the outside, paint the whole thing.

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2016, 03:01:32 pm »
I'm 100% covering the sides and the cp. The rest is black... So presumably primer only on the sides and cp is fine?

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2016, 03:12:44 pm »
I'd suggest that your primer at least have some smoothness to it. The more smooth, the better the decal will adhere.

Primer often finishes flat, especially when sanded. I'd just be careful not to have any left-over dust.

Maybe even paint a test swatch and see if a spare decal adheres to it.

Once that CPO or side-art goes on, that's it. One shot.