Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Why do people binge watch TV shows?  (Read 7171 times)

shponglefan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 15, 2022, 07:22:35 am
  • Correct horse battery staple
Why do people binge watch TV shows?
« on: September 10, 2016, 04:41:37 am »
It's late, I can't sleep and this keeps going through my head: I don't understand binge watching.  Everyone seems to do it, but I can't stand it.

If I watch an episode of something, particularly if it's a good hour or so long, I don't want to keep watching TV.  I like to get up and do something else.  And especially so if it happens to be a particularly heavy show.  For example, Breaking Bad I loved, but I could never watch more than a single episode at a time.

Plus, I prefer to savor a show and have a chance to reflect on what happened in the episode and enjoy the anticipation of the next episode.  Watching multiple episodes back-to-back just blurs everything together and I don't remember nearly as much from each episode.

Anyway, I don't get it.  Why do people like binge watching?  Isn't it more enjoyable to pace things?

nexusmtz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 01, 2022, 03:14:22 am
Re: Why do people binge watch TV shows?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2016, 06:07:40 am »
There are two main reasons that people binge watch on streaming services. I'll explain the first next week. You'll have to wait until May for the second, because I'm taking a break after next week.

Seriously though, unfinished/unresolved/undone things stay on people's minds (Zeigarnik effect). Ironically, you're kind of demonstrating that by saying "this keeps going through my head." You don't have an answer, so you think about it more than if you did, and you're seeking closure. Once you get people's answers, whether you agree with them or not, you probably won't think about it as much. When it comes to TV shows, you seem to enjoy not having the answers immediately - letting each episode soak in and the anticipation - but for many of us, everything that is unresolved builds up in our heads, much like the question of why people binge watch is repeating in yours.

That's why if I can get a few more answers by giving another 42 minutes, I'll do it. (within reason... usually.) Each episode gets me closer to the answers I'm looking for. It's supposed to anyway. I can enjoy something, and once it's done, I can move on.

Regarding blur, sometimes I find that with time between the episodes, I forget some of the points that came up previously. I'd rather watch several episodes so everything flows together without all of it necessarily having to make it into long term memory. I have a feeling that you don't have the problem of forgetting details week to week because you refresh your memory of those points during the breaks as you reflect on what you watched. It's interesting that what you see as blurring everything together is what I see as improving continuity.

I think it's fine that you like to spread out your viewing. You probably get more out of each show than a binge watcher. But for those of us who need to have things resolved in order to let them go, having the next episode immediately available is too fulfilling to walk away from.

nukie

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 19, 2017, 08:43:36 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2016, 07:26:00 am »
I can see the draw to being able to have closure as it were to a show but I'm with the OP on this one.  If I try to watch too many episodes of a show, especially a heavy one, I end up getting burned out and never finish it.  That happened to me for the longest time with Sons of Anarchy.  I came into it two seasons late and tried to catch up quickly.  Ended up not finishing any more episodes until just recently.

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2016, 01:38:45 pm »
THat's the great thing about TV streming --- if you want to binge watch you can - if you want to watch 1 episode a day/week/month you can !! - If you missed season 1 and season 2 ( or any other point in the series) is releasing you can go back and watch season 1 either all at once or again 1 per day/week and catch up without having to watch a few episodes of season 2 without the proper context from season 1.

So mainly it just adds to the experience by providing options for how you prefer to watch a show. Personally I'm more the type that will watch an episode or 2 per day or every couple days (as free time permits) - as I used to hate waiting a full week (or worse full season break) between shows and would sometimes just record a seasons of a show before starting to watch any episode to eliminate that forced waiting ( would rather have the full season available to watch at my pace than be forced to watch 1 episode per week )

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2023, 07:20:00 pm
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2016, 04:27:20 pm »
I just binged all of silicon Valley. Now I have to wait until April for new episodes.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2016, 05:21:16 pm »
Sometimes a show will come on at an odd time or at the same time as another show.  If I'm busy I might end up watching a bunch at once as they keep piling up. 

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2016, 05:51:27 pm »
I just binged all of silicon Valley. Now I have to wait until April for new episodes.

One of the best shows on TV.  Bachmanity Insanity Overdrive!

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2016, 06:01:41 pm »

One of the best shows on TV.  Bachmanity Insanity Overdrive!
Yes. I love Mike judge and T.J miller.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:43:57 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2016, 06:05:53 pm »
Mike Judge is an angry nut with a mean streak but I still like some of his cartoons.  Goode Family was so out of date it was breath taking.  Skip that one.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2016, 11:34:17 pm »
Unfortunately he peaked with Beavis and Butthead.  It's been all downhill since then. 

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2016, 11:47:37 pm »
Nah, King of the Hill was amazing.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2016, 01:19:39 am »
If you can accept the premise that every adult in Texas has the mind and emotional stability of an 8 year old then yes..... actually never mind that's about right. 

Man you pitched that one to me underhanded.  ;)

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2016, 08:46:24 am »
It's always amazing how well he nailed life here considering he's some dune hillbilly from Phoenix.

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2016, 10:54:45 am »
Nah, King of the Hill was amazing.

King of the Hill was far better than it had any right to be.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2016, 11:25:37 am »
I am going through the Sopranos at the moment.

Due to working shifts and having the usual commitments i dont have time to watch shows on a weekly basis so i binge watch as and when I can.

Watched 5 episodes today, but have not had a chance to watch any in 2 1/2 weeks lol

Rather looking forward to the new Walking Dead and American Horror storys coming out soon!

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 06:01:28 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2016, 12:29:12 pm »
Last time I was in Afghanistan four of us watched The Wire an episode a night, after that we moved to Madmen and then Sons of Anarchy.  Just an episode a night and only if we were all together.  Helped pass the time.  Now when I'm doing sign work I play Archer in the background, just as delightful background noise. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2016, 01:01:27 pm »
Rather looking forward to the new Walking Dead and American Horror storys coming out soon!

Now American Horror Story is a series that's better than it should be.  I didn't start watching until the Carnival season, but man is it good.  Mind you it isn't the scary or horrific, but it's visually interesting and damn funny. 

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2016, 01:03:59 pm »
Seriously though, unfinished/unresolved/undone things stay on people's minds (Zeigarnik effect).

Interesting, didn't know there was a name for that.  Learned something new today. :)

Ironically, you're kind of demonstrating that by saying "this keeps going through my head." You don't have an answer, so you think about it more than if you did, and you're seeking closure. Once you get people's answers, whether you agree with them or not, you probably won't think about it as much. When it comes to TV shows, you seem to enjoy not having the answers immediately - letting each episode soak in and the anticipation

I think part of it is I don't like it to be over too soon.  For example, if an episode ends on a cliffhanger I could just keep watching.  But where's the fun in that?  It diminished the very idea of a cliff hanger which is designed to leave a person in anticipation of what is coming next.

I think it's fine that you like to spread out your viewing. You probably get more out of each show than a binge watcher. But for those of us who need to have things resolved in order to let them go, having the next episode immediately available is too fulfilling to walk away from.

To each their own, which is the beauty of on-demand viewing. :)

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2016, 02:54:12 pm »

Now American Horror Story is a series that's better than it should be.  I didn't start watching until the Carnival season, but man is it good.  Mind you it isn't the scary or horrific, but it's visually interesting and damn funny.

I think Asylum was the best one personally, Hotel wasnt that great but still was pretty good.

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2016, 04:13:28 pm »
Now American Horror Story is a series that's better than it should be.  I didn't start watching until the Carnival season, but man is it good.

Maybe it's gotten better.  I tried watching the earlier seasons and stopped at the Voodoo season (I think that was the one before the Carnival season).  It always felt like that show was trying too hard and they'd keep throwing too many things into the mix.

The Asylum season was particularly bad for that.  Started out promising with the creepy asylum vibe, but then they added in alien abduction, serial killers, Nazi scientists, monsters, religious supernaturalism... it became so ridiculous I couldn't take it seriously anymore.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 04:15:49 pm by shponglefan »

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2016, 05:29:10 pm »
When can you ever take something with a horror theme seriously?

I find them laughable at best (which is a good horror for me :p)
But the acting was always good from the "usual" cast and the stories well written.

I felt the last one (hotel) had some good potential seen as there was a real life basis for it but it just felt lacking somehow.

Ive never really liked many horror films tbh though, things like Scream and The Ring etc i just find boring, predictable and ultimately cringe worthy.

Ive been told I am desensitised and uncaring which is largely true.
After all why should I care if some blonde cheer leader is stabbed by a guy in a mask on a film?

I think the AHS series just bring something new and fresh to a otherwise very dull genre.

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2016, 05:32:19 pm »
I'm like 3 episodes in on the first season. So I believe some binging is in order.

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2016, 06:07:33 pm »
When can you ever take something with a horror theme seriously?

Not often admittedly, but when I can it's gold.  The Babadook was the best recent horror title I've seen.

I think the AHS series just bring something new and fresh to a otherwise very dull genre.

I just think they keep trying to do too much.  It's like every season they grab half a dozen different horror tropes and shove them into the storyline regardless of whether it fits.  So each season ends up having this odd design-by-committee feel to it.  Asylum was especially bad for that, which was unfortunate given how good it started off.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2016, 10:45:30 pm »
We gave up halfway through the asylum season.

danny_galaga

• Grand high prophet of the holy noodle.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:09:03 am
  • because the mail never stops
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2016, 08:26:31 am »
It's late, I can't sleep and this keeps going through my head: I don't understand binge watching.  Everyone seems to do it, but I can't stand it.

If I watch an episode of something, particularly if it's a good hour or so long, I don't want to keep watching TV.  I like to get up and do something else.  And especially so if it happens to be a particularly heavy show.  For example, Breaking Bad I loved, but I could never watch more than a single episode at a time.

Plus, I prefer to savor a show and have a chance to reflect on what happened in the episode and enjoy the anticipation of the next episode.  Watching multiple episodes back-to-back just blurs everything together and I don't remember nearly as much from each episode.

Anyway, I don't get it.  Why do people like binge watching?  Isn't it more enjoyable to pace things?

Generally I agree with you, but lately I have 'semi-binged' with my GF, who can be a binge watcher...

ROUGHING UP THE SUSPECT SINCE 1981

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:54:06 am
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2016, 12:13:58 pm »

I read an article a while ago that claimed the primary purpose was an escape from reality.
Without commercials to pull you out of the world of the show, people feel more engaged and want to stay there.
I have to admit that I do like escaping reality for long periods by binge watching, but only once every couple months.

I watched Stranger Things all at once after coming home sick from work.  I wasn't going to do anything productive anyway.

If I want to watch back episodes of a show, I'll binge watch to get caught up.
I didn't think I'd get into Game of Thrones, but had Free HBO temporarily and ended up knocking out the first three or four seasons in a couple weeks.
Now I subscribe to HBO Now when the new season is airing (and cancel afterwards).

I also enjoy the extra excitement of a show I've waited a week to see.
The only current show doing that for me is Mr. Robot.
I'm looking forward to fall tv.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2016, 12:30:35 pm »
West World.  I have a feeling that it's going to be epic. 

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2016, 12:37:15 pm »
Now I subscribe to HBO Now when the new season is airing (and cancel afterwards).

Get a android box much easier ;)

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2016, 01:40:02 pm »

Get a android box much easier ;)

I had one, then switched to a refurbed Alienware Alpha (currently in for repairs after only 6 months :timebomb: ) in the living room with Kodi installed.
They're making a great show.  I don't mind paying for a couple months to watch it.
In my experience, the bootleg streams are more trouble than they're worth right after a new episode airs. 

The only time I've had trouble with HBO Now was trying to stream The Battle of the ---daisies--- at the same time it was airing.
They must have been getting hammered.  It took me 20 minutes to get logged in and begin watching.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2016, 01:44:40 pm »
Must admit i never stream live with mine.
Just no point, we get shows like walking dead the day after you guys so I just watch it on TV but for shows I missed or cant get on regular TV they are fab.

As for alienware... Well what do you expect? :p

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2016, 01:49:27 pm »
West World.  I have a feeling that it's going to be epic.

I think so.

I just watched Future World because it happened to be on OTA TV. 
Need to go back and re-watch the original West World.

emphatic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 02:38:52 pm
  • -"Suck it, Donny!" -"No, YOU suck it.... more".
    • Emphatic's Video Game Collection
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2016, 02:35:17 pm »
Shows are like movies with fleshed out characters, so to me, it's like reading a book vs watching it's adaption. I'm fine with waiting one week for the next episode rather than caching a full season to binge watch, because the internet is full of spoilers.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2016, 02:57:12 pm »
As for alienware... Well what do you expect? :p

Eh I love my old i7 m14x, but it too needed to have the mobo replaced shortly after buying it.
It's been good for the 5 years since.  It still kicks butt for a laptop.

I hope the alpha holds up after getting it back.

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2021, 12:21:09 pm
  • Don't half-ass two things, whole-ass one thing.
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2016, 03:03:16 pm »
Why do people like binge watching TV?

Because TV shows are better than most movies now.

Also, I typically like to pace myself playing console games to ensure I get the maximum experience from the game.

However, I binge-played all of the Uncharted games because those were like playing a movie. Couldn't put it down.
If you can read this, it means Photobucket's money grab ruined my signature photos.

emphatic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 02:38:52 pm
  • -"Suck it, Donny!" -"No, YOU suck it.... more".
    • Emphatic's Video Game Collection
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2016, 04:34:12 pm »
Because TV shows are better than most movies now.

Marketing for a TV Show is low risk and basically free (for Netflix, HBO etc), for movies, the production companies hate taking risks, that's why we get so many reboots and sequels. The "stupid audience" know the characters already, so trailers can focus on explosions and skin. Also, the subscribers to HBO and Netflix lets them take chances with new shows, which is awesome.

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2024, 12:42:45 am
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2016, 01:10:40 pm »
It's always amazing how well he nailed life here considering he's some dune hillbilly from Phoenix.
...with a physics degree from UC SD.  ::)

http://ucsdnews.ucsd.edu/archive/thisweek/2009/06/15_gradjudge.asp

NO MORE!!

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2016, 02:02:37 pm »
She sought to reassure students about the future they face in a troubled economy. “You have a UCSD education and that means something,” she said.

Thank God I don't live in California.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2016, 02:21:02 pm »
I'll remind you that George W Bush graduated from Harvard Business school. 

A piece of paper says NOTHING about your intelligence.  I've got one after all and it didn't make me any smarter. 

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2016, 03:11:52 pm »
I live in a college town.  I can attest that being educated and being intelligent are two completely separate things.  ;D

EDIT: ....and King of the Hill was and remains awesome.

Source: I just started re-watching the series.
Oddly enough, it isn't available on any legal streaming services.
I'm recording it from a local station on an OTA DVR.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 03:16:02 pm by BadMouth »

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2016, 03:36:22 pm »
I had one, then switched to a refurbed Alienware Alpha (currently in for repairs after only 6 months :timebomb: ) in the living room with Kodi installed

What happened to it?  I have an Alpha I bought new for Xmas last year that is having serious hard drive issues right now.