Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Raspberry Pi RetroPie - Single Mame Rom Boot for Dedicated Vertical Display  (Read 33999 times)

Lilwolf

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2022, 10:26:34 pm
Last time I tried vertical screen on a raspberry pie, the performance sucked.  Has this been taken care of yet?

I have a cocktail table I would love to throw retropie in (it had an old computer in it that died and I haven't got around to buying something new for it).

Thanks

ark_ader

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
Last time I tried vertical screen on a raspberry pie, the performance sucked.  Has this been taken care of yet?

I have a cocktail table I would love to throw retropie in (it had an old computer in it that died and I haven't got around to buying something new for it).

Thanks

Yeah kinda. Nearly not really.  Almost.

The only noticed slow downs was NEo GEo horizontal games like Baseball Stars 2.  It was irritating to watch.

Better to get a PC than a Pi.  Even the Tinker has problems with vertical displaying horizontal games.  I would think the video driver is not there yet.  You could try giving more memory to the GPU, but I doubt it.

Check newegg as I got a refurbished SFF i3 entry spec for $50 with windows 10 home.  The Raspberry Pi is a developer board, better suited to 16bit home console games.  Flamers welcome to comment.
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

Lilwolf

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2022, 10:26:34 pm
What I heard  the problem was that the video drivers were emulating a horizontal scan pattern.  For vertical screen, it scans each horizontal line, to draw a single pixel, then moves to the enxt... instead of drawing the whole line at once.  I didn't get if it was a retropie issue / lib problem, or unix driver problem... 

thestobbster

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 16, 2021, 10:44:01 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Updates to know issues in the original post have been made at the beginning of this post for those who had problems with the following issue.

If you get a freeze during boot and you are not using a usb sound device do the following:

Known Issues:

(Updated fix 3/10/20) System boots and plays intro video then freezes -

1. You need to setup the audio correctly in the "config.txt" set this parameter to on....

dtparam=audio=on

2. Edit /etc/asound.conf (change the "card 1" to "card 0")

pcm.!default {
 type hw
 card 1
}

ctl.!default {
 type hw
 card 1
}

THeSToBBSTeR

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.

Thanks

Yeah kinda. Nearly not really.  Almost.

The only noticed slow downs was NEo GEo horizontal games like Baseball Stars 2.  It was irritating to watch.

Better to get a PC than a Pi.  Even the Tinker has problems with vertical displaying horizontal games.  I would think the video driver is not there yet.  You could try giving more memory to the GPU, but I doubt it.

Check newegg as I got a refurbished SFF i3 entry spec for $50 with windows 10 home.  The Raspberry Pi is a developer board, better suited to 16bit home console games.  Flamers welcome to comment.

Neo Geo is an m68k and z80. 16/32-bit and super common. Yeah...

gregmaletic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 17, 2023, 10:55:36 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
If anyone is having issues downloading the image lately from my website it was missing again and I just put it back up. I am looking into hosting it in an alternate location for future hosting.

I have re-uploaded it as a multi-file 7zip. Each of the 6 files are 650megs. By breaking the image up it makes it easier to get the smaller files downloaded rather than a single 4GB file.

The download instructions have been updated as well...

http://stobbs.us/documents/Download_Instructions.pdf

The download instructions link is broken. Any idea where they could be found, along with the images? Thank you.