Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Cutting Circles in Vinyl  (Read 7089 times)

vaderag

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 16, 2023, 05:11:02 am
  • Building my own cab :)
Cutting Circles in Vinyl
« on: September 07, 2016, 04:31:54 am »
How are you guys cutting out the holes in the vinyl for your CP?
I've seen circle cutter compas type things but worry they may not be that great (i've never had much luck with these drawing pencil lines, let alone cutting my vinyl!!)

I'm assuming i cant affix it and just drill straight through it, but interested to hear if anyone's tried this!!

Cheers

thomas_surles

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2023, 07:20:00 pm
Re: Cutting Circles in Vinyl
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2016, 06:24:23 am »
You can use u blades to get it started. And use a router to finish it off for the best results.

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 08:02:44 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2016, 01:27:53 pm »
I just use the handy Xacto knife. 

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 01:44:57 pm »

Thats how I do it, assuming the holes are drilled in the wood/mdf/laminiate/etc . Apply the art, run the blade long the edge.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 01:52:31 pm by Malenko »
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2021, 12:21:09 pm
  • Don't half-ass two things, whole-ass one thing.
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2016, 01:49:07 pm »

Thats how I do it, assuming the holes are drilled in the wood/mdf/laminiate/etc . Apply the art, runt he blade long the edge.

ditto.
If you can read this, it means Photobucket's money grab ruined my signature photos.

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2016, 10:46:43 am »
Thanks all...

So i guess my main concern is lining the artwork up with the holes precisely... i had originally planned to stick the artwork down and drill through it to line up precisely, but the printer told me that would be a bad idea as it would stretch the vinyl (and now i think about it it would probably put gunk under the vinyl too...)

So, do people tend to get a paper print out too? Or just carefully mark up and hope for the best??

One other thing - i currently have dots marked for the centre points - before i print would you advise making these circles to the size of the cut out for visual ease??

Oh, and while i think about it, i was planning to leave excess on all sides and Xacto off the excess (just in case i dont apply staight or there is a difference between my and the printers measures) but i'm now wondering if that would actually be more likely to make me apply at a wonk... thoughts>?

« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 10:48:17 am by vaderag »

JDFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2016, 11:06:09 am »
One other thing - i currently have dots marked for the centre points - before i print would you advise making these circles to the size of the cut out for visual ease??

Oh, and while i think about it, i was planning to leave excess on all sides and Xacto off the excess (just in case i dont apply staight or there is a difference between my and the printers measures) but i'm now wondering if that would actually be more likely to make me apply at a wonk... thoughts>?

I would leave the excess on the sides and only print the center point of the holes or leave the holes not printed at all -- doing it this way allows for some lee way in placement in case the lining up is off a small amount it can be corrected without the CP having the printed button hole area showing on the printed art - In general the button holes are placed on a separate layer and are there mainly for visual of where they will be placed so no important artwork is placed where they wind up ( ie. character face right where the joystick is going to be placed etc.) THe only time I'd actually print the holes is if you are designing the CP to have the buttons outlined or directional arrows printed for the joystick directions and need to have the holes cut precisely in order to have it look correct ( Which also means having to be much more careful with placement when applying !)

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2016, 12:15:17 pm »

I would leave the excess on the sides and only print the center point of the holes or leave the holes not printed at all -- doing it this way allows for some lee way in placement in case the lining up is off a small amount it can be corrected without the CP having the printed button hole area showing on the printed art - In general the button holes are placed on a separate layer and are there mainly for visual of where they will be placed so no important artwork is placed where they wind up ( ie. character face right where the joystick is going to be placed etc.) THe only time I'd actually print the holes is if you are designing the CP to have the buttons outlined or directional arrows printed for the joystick directions and need to have the holes cut precisely in order to have it look correct ( Which also means having to be much more careful with placement when applying !)

So that is exactly what i'm doing -

So the buttons really need to be in precisely the right spot (nb. buttons there are just for visual, they're obv hidden on the printout and as I said just a dot currently)

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2021, 12:21:09 pm
  • Don't half-ass two things, whole-ass one thing.
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2016, 12:20:08 pm »
So i guess my main concern is lining the artwork up with the holes precisely.

Easy. Tape the artwork on your panel and use a center punch to mark the exact spot where to drill each hole.
If you can read this, it means Photobucket's money grab ruined my signature photos.

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2016, 12:28:59 pm »

Easy. Tape the artwork on your panel and use a center punch to mark the exact spot where to drill each hole.

^this - trim one edge and tape in place along that edge ensure it is aligned properly on CP - center punch the holes and remove the artwork - drill holes - clean CP including holes to remove any dust - replace vinyl with backing still on and check placement - if things line up install vinyl carefully - cut out holes in vinyl once it is placed with exacto knife.

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2016, 12:38:57 pm »

^this - trim one edge and tape in place along that edge ensure it is aligned properly on CP - center punch the holes and remove the artwork - drill holes - clean CP including holes to remove any dust - replace vinyl with backing still on and check placement - if things line up install vinyl carefully - cut out holes in vinyl once it is placed with exacto knife.
Awesome, thanks.

One follow up question - you say trim edge to line up - makes perfect sense - but do you think it's worth having one edge trimmed exactly with no overlap at the printers? Or is it safer to have a bit of play for other reasons?

Scassidy24

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2023, 11:56:34 am
  • I love my Nostalgia Machine
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,150379.0.html
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2016, 08:07:11 am »
Really like the looks of your CPO :) kudos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2016, 10:27:25 am »
Awesome, thanks.

One follow up question - you say trim edge to line up - makes perfect sense - but do you think it's worth having one edge trimmed exactly with no overlap at the printers? Or is it safer to have a bit of play for other reasons?

I like to leave extra on all sides mainly because many printers have distortions that show up if trying to print too close to any edge - while some printers can print directly to an edge I'd rather not take the chance and it also allows a bit of slop in case you do not get it perfectly straight on that edge.

GSXRMovistar

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 02, 2023, 07:10:28 pm
  • Gez, this is gonna be expensive!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,148135.0.html
    • CoffeeCade
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2016, 04:43:36 pm »

Also add a dot/cross to the artwork itself for the centre points of each button, getting that exact in your image editor will be a lot easier than having to measure/judge once it's printed.

AndersHP

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 02, 2017, 02:27:57 pm
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2017, 02:30:27 pm »
Awesome, thanks.

I like to leave extra on all sides mainly because many printers have distortions that show up if trying to print too close to any edge - while some printers can print directly to an edge I'd rather not take the chance and it also allows a bit of slop in case you do not get it perfectly straight on that edge.

Sorry to revive this old thread, but that's better than starting a new, containing something that's already here, isn't it?

When you trim your sideart after applying, I was wondering if it would be better to cut it 5-8 mm outside of the MDF and bend it around towards the slot for the T-molding? This way there's no chance the artwork will start peeling off, and there will be no visible gaps, as the T-molding holds it into place? But is this even possible at places where the MDF sides are rounded, maybe with relief cuts? Or is it better to just cut it completely along the outer edges of the MDF and live with the risk that the artwork might peel along the edges?

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 08:02:44 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2017, 02:41:54 pm »
I always leave some extra and bend it over the edge.  For curved areas I take an X-acto and slit it so it will lay flat. 

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2017, 02:52:07 pm »
Awesome, thanks.

Sorry to revive this old thread, but that's better than starting a new, containing something that's already here, isn't it?

When you trim your sideart after applying, I was wondering if it would be better to cut it 5-8 mm outside of the MDF and bend it around towards the slot for the T-molding? This way there's no chance the artwork will start peeling off, and there will be no visible gaps, as the T-molding holds it into place? But is this even possible at places where the MDF sides are rounded, maybe with relief cuts? Or is it better to just cut it completely along the outer edges of the MDF and live with the risk that the artwork might peel along the edges?
Great question, great timing. I'd never have thought of that, but makes a lot of sense!!
The only issue I see is lining up... If you haven't a hard edge how do you properly align?

AndersHP

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 02, 2017, 02:27:57 pm
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2017, 04:49:29 am »
Awesome, thanks.

Great question, great timing. I'd never have thought of that, but makes a lot of sense!!
The only issue I see is lining up... If you haven't a hard edge how do you properly align?

For my build I didn't have a spot that needed a 100% accurate lineup, but the lining up I did was that I backlit a button with my phone laying on the floor, so I could see it through the vinyl.

The next issue I have is that the excess is not long enough to properly stick to the MDF ends, and since my slot cutter and T-molding didn't exactly fit each other (T-mold a bit loose) I'll have to glue the T molding and place it under pressure, otherwise the excess vinyl won't get pressed down enough. But in the end, I'm sure the result will be great!