Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: 'Going Commando' - a multi-rotary conversion  (Read 8370 times)

8BitMonk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2023, 05:27:00 pm
'Going Commando' - a multi-rotary conversion
« on: September 16, 2016, 01:34:34 pm »
I picked up this Gondomania cab awhile back on the cheap with plans of converting it to a multi-rotary machine similar to Maximus' Heavy Victory Ikari Time Barrel Warrior Soldiers Road 'Cammo Edition'.

I don't plan on doing multiple PCB's, going to go the Mame route with Ultimarc rotary encoders and a Jpac. I've pick up a pair of LS-30's which I like better than the round top Data East rotary's. Not going to hack up the cp or anything, just new vinyl (or paint) themed cp overlay, bezel, marquee and side art. 

Trying to decide on a theme now, 'Going Commando' is the working title as most of the rotary games seem to be military themed and I'll have non-rotary vertical military type games like Commando, 1943 etc. in it as well.

Looking for some ideas for inspiration, insert your great name/theme/color/design idea here.  :lol 

FYI I'm not big fan of cammo, at least for the sides like Maximus did, if I use cammo it'll be limited, likely just on the CP.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 06:28:44 pm by 8BitMonk »
Games: Asteroids Deluxe | Atomiswave | Centipede | Championship Sprint | Defender | Donkey Kong | Dig Dug | Frogger | Ikari Warriors | Missile Command | Pac-Man | Pole Position | Robotron | Spy Hunter | Tempest | Super Mario Strikers

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2023, 07:20:00 pm
Re: 'Going Commando' - a multi-rotary conversion
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2016, 01:47:47 pm »
Just do like some metal looking art with rivets in it or something.

harveybirdman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2024, 12:40:25 pm
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2016, 04:40:25 pm »
Subscribed

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2016, 07:19:59 pm »
I've wanted a multi-rotary cabinet for a while and have wondered how well it would work with Mame.  Really looking forward to this one. 

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2023, 07:20:00 pm
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2016, 07:22:26 pm »
I have honestly never had the chance to play a rotary game. But I'm very interestedin seeing this project.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:12:36 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2016, 08:51:00 pm »
going to go the Mame route with Ultimarc rotary encoders and a Jpac. I've pick up a pair of LS-30's
Three things that you may find helpful:

1. LS-30 to Ultimarc rotary encoder wiring adapter [EDIT: Corrected P2 pin labels]

2. MAME settings so 1 click = 1 keystroke

For mechanical rotary games:

Input (this Game) menu

Positional Analog to none

Analog Control menu

Positional Digital Speed = 0
    Positional Sensitivity = 100

For optical rotary games:

Input (this Game) menu

Dial Analog to none

Analog Control menu

Dial Digital Speed = double the default value
    Dial Sensitivity = default value

3. Rotary joystick games list -- you should be able to run everything but "Ikari III - The Rescue" that uses 3 buttons.
(wiki is still down, but here's a link to a copy on the Internet Wayback Machine)

Scott
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 12:51:44 am by PL1 »

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2016, 09:40:27 pm »
Three things that you may find helpful:

Thanks for the tips Scott, luckily the harnesses for the LS-30's (Data East ones as well) fit right on the Ultimarc rotary encoder. FYI to anyone else doing this, you have to be sure to plug in the harness with the tab next the pins facing out. At first I put them on with both tabs facing left and the wire colors going the same direction and one only worked sporadically because it was backwards. When they're plugged in correctly the colored wires will be going in opposite directions (which seems counterintuitive) and the tab over the pins facing out like this:

Some of those mame settings I hadn't checked into yet so thanks!

Just do like some metal looking art with rivets in it or something.

Thanks for the suggestion, I had considered this after seeing it on Tiny Pilot but I'm not totally sold on it for this since it won't solely be flying games.

istockphoto has some cool, fun military stock I'm going to play around with. I don't want it to look 'clip arty' but there's some decent stuff to build from. I do like some of the digital cammo designs.

I also quick experimented with drawing the words 'Going Commando' over the Ikari Warriors text on the marquee. Funny and interesting but it's a little hokey.

I have honestly never had the chance to play a rotary game. But I'm very interestedin seeing this project.
I've wanted a multi-rotary cabinet for a while and have wondered how well it would work with Mame.  Really looking forward to this one. 

Rotary games are a blast! You really need a set of original sticks to appreciate them though and unfortunately true old school rotaries (especially the LS-30's) are getting next to impossible to find. The new optical rotaries don't do it for me, just not right without the ratcheting click click click.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 06:29:41 pm by 8BitMonk »
Games: Asteroids Deluxe | Atomiswave | Centipede | Championship Sprint | Defender | Donkey Kong | Dig Dug | Frogger | Ikari Warriors | Missile Command | Pac-Man | Pole Position | Robotron | Spy Hunter | Tempest | Super Mario Strikers

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2016, 09:45:47 pm »
Some names I'm considering:

Battlecry
Going Commando
W.A.R. (Wicked Ass Rotary, Wicked Awesome Rotary?)

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 06:01:28 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2016, 10:58:41 pm »
I really like you art in other projects but that Gondomania is so sweet I think you should keep it.  I mean, it's RAD.  Rad man.  Don't screw with a good thing.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2024, 11:27:54 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2016, 11:10:36 pm »
Looks pretty cool as is.  Leave it alone.

:dunno

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2016, 11:25:49 pm »
The new optical rotaries don't do it for me, just not right without the ratcheting click click click.
Divemaster carries Happ mechanical rotary joysticks here. (Part # 50-5618-00)

the harnesses for the LS-30's (Data East ones as well) fit right on the Ultimarc rotary encoder. FYI to anyone else doing this, you have to be sure to plug in the harness with the tab next the pins facing out. At first I put them on with both tabs facing left and the wire colors going the same direction and one only worked sporadically because it was backwards. When they're plugged in correctly the colored wires will be going in opposite directions (which seems counterintuitive) and the tab over the pins facing out like this:
Not to rain on your parade, but the presence of tabs and colors of wire can vary, depending on the harness.

IMHO it's more reliable to identify the ground and orient the connector accordingly.

This wiring diagram is based on the work of toxicwes and BadMojo12.

* LS-30 joystick ground is on pin 7, but the LS-30 harness moves it to pin 1.

* Happ harness ground is on pin 1.

* Ultimarc rotary encoder page here says that "The Happ Controls rotary stick comes with an attached cable which simply plugs in." so ground should be on pin 1.

Is the diagram wrong?   ???
i.e. Are the player 2 pin 1 (ground) and pin 13 labels reversed?

Scott
EDIT: Corrected P2 pin labels on diagram.  P2 Pin 1 is next to the USB connector.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 01:06:38 am by PL1 »

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2016, 01:20:03 pm »

I haven't tried these I wonder how they feel vs the old school versions, anyone tried them? I prefer the octagonal tops vs. balltop or the rounded tops which is something I have never seen offered on the newer rotaries.

Yes, the ground is on the opposite side on P2.

Here's a comparison of the wire harnesses for reference. The LS-30's are on the left, the Data East Wico's on the right. In the first pair of images the connector that goes to the joystick is on the left and the one that goes to the encoder is on the right.

I really like you art in other projects but that Gondomania is so sweet I think you should keep it.  I mean, it's RAD.  Rad man.  Don't screw with a good thing.
Looks pretty cool as is.  Leave it alone.

I had considered it, I do like the Gondo art but I'm not crazy about the game and it's not something I want in my permanent collection. The cp is in rough shape so it needs to be replaced regardless and the sides are bare and i'd like to have some side art. I had considered selling it to someone who might want to restore it and using another cab as a base but it's not that popular so there's zero demand unless you give it away.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 06:33:51 pm by 8BitMonk »

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2016, 02:39:23 pm »
I haven't tried these I wonder how they feel vs the old school versions, anyone tried them? I prefer the octagonal tops vs. balltop or the rounded tops which is something I have never seen offered on the newer rotaries.

I agree with you about preferring the octagonal joysticks to the other options out there.  Those are what I think of when I hear "rotary joystick".

For some reason with the military theme and rotating joystick the phrase "keep your head on a swivel" comes to mind.  I have no idea how to work that into a theme though.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2016, 12:27:39 am »
They feel like Happ Supers since both are built on the same base.

AFAIK there are no octagonal tops available, but you might be able to cast one in resin like this.

Another option is to mill flat sides on the handle and 3d-print a handle cover.

If Happ's minimum purchase amount wasn't so high ($100), I'd buy a few spare handles (P/N 95-1274-00) to experiment.   :dunno

Yes, the ground is on the opposite side on P2.
Thanks for the correction.

When BadMojo12 didn't reply in his old thread, I thought that the P2 pins were labeled correctly.    :embarassed:

Scott
EDIT: Fixed diagram.  Will upload corrected version to wiki once it is working again.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 12:49:06 am by PL1 »

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2016, 03:00:53 pm »
Since I have some flexibility in the cab I use and to assuage any fears that there's a collector out there who might be interested in restoring it as-is I posted it on Craigslist and KLOV. Didn't get one single inquiry, guess I'm using it! Seems no one else out there thinks it's RAD man.  :D
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 03:03:29 pm by 8BitMonk »

Havok

• Keeper of the __Blue_Stars___
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2023, 09:14:44 pm
  • Insufficient facts always invite danger.
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2016, 04:24:04 pm »
I think it's Rad. Love me some Gondomania. One of these days I'll actually add my LS-30's to another hot swap control panel for my Mame machine...

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 06:01:28 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2016, 09:51:25 pm »
I think it's Rad. Love me some Gondomania.

Seems no one else out there thinks it's RAD man.  :D

You were saying....

Shits rad yo.

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2016, 10:22:21 am »
Shits rad yo.

True dat yo!

I got a low ball half-price offer today so at least one other person in this world thinks it's rad, just not rad enough to pay full price.

Paradroid

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:20:15 am
    • SCART Hunter
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2016, 09:10:08 pm »
Tasty project! :)

I put together a rotary-only MAME machine earlier this year:

Running GroovyMAME with an RGB hacked Sharp 20" TV.

My LS-30s were anything but NOS: I collected 7 over 12 months, tore them all down and the reassembled by cherry picking the best parts from the pile. There was rust, dust and crust but they turned out great after much scrubbing and TLC.

Your Gondomania cab is sweet! But, honestly, I think it's one of the worst games on the rotary list. I just didn't find it fun. :)

Ikari, HB and Cal 50 are all epic with rotaries and a CRT. :)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 09:11:43 pm by Paradroid »
My MAME/SCART/CRT blog: SCART Hunter

Paradroid

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:20:15 am
    • SCART Hunter
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2016, 09:13:03 pm »
Gees... Tapatalk didn't do so well with all those images... apologies. :(

Sent from my SM-A300Y using Tapatalk

My MAME/SCART/CRT blog: SCART Hunter

emphatic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:29:05 pm
  • -"Suck it, Donny!" -"No, YOU suck it.... more".
    • Emphatic's Video Game Collection
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2016, 11:56:02 am »
Nice one! :cheers:

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2016, 02:28:10 am »
Quote from: Paradroid
I put together a rotary-only MAME machine earlier this year:

Cool project Para, love it!

My project is still in the works though I'm going a little different direction. I decided to use a Dynamo HS-2 cab I found on CL and sold the Gondo. Instead of a fully custom theme I plan to use slightly customized Ikari Warriors art.

The cab was in good shape, I slapped a new coat of paint on it anyway just to freshen it up and cover a few dings.

Here's the CP with the Soul Edge overlay.

There are 6 button holes cut. Looking for some feedback on a button layout the use with the pre-existing holes. I'm going to customize the CP art to conform to whatever button layout I choose, maybe also add a badge that says 'special edition' or 'going commando edition' with the Ikari logo. 

I found some LS-30's I had to clean up as well. Mine were missing the C-clamps and the springs were busted. Here's some pic's, you can see the different C-clamps and spring I bought to try and the little homemade tool for getting the tops off the rotaries. 

I picked up a WG D9500 Tri-sync 19" monitor I'll be using along with the PC, JPAC and rotary encoder. Just need to assemble everything and do the CP art and software setup. Also debating on black or yellow T-molding. I kinda liked the yellow on Griffin's Cammo Edition even though the original Ikari's were black.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 06:36:59 pm by 8BitMonk »

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2016, 08:11:58 am »
There are 6 button holes cut. Looking for some feedback on a button layout the use with the pre-existing holes. I'm going to customize the CP art to conform to whatever button layout I choose, maybe also add a badge that says 'special edition' or 'going commando edition' with the Ikari logo. 

If you use the three holes on top, you can support all rotary games including the 3-button "Ikari III - The Rescue".

The only consideration that might keep you from using 3 buttons is monitor orientation -- almost all rotary games use a vertical monitor.

Horizontal monitor mechanical rotary games:
  - Ikari III - The Rescue
  - Midnight Resistance

Horizontall monitor optical rotary games:
  - Exterminator

Scott

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2016, 11:54:50 pm »
If you use the three holes on top, you can support all rotary games including the 3-button "Ikari III - The Rescue".

The only consideration that might keep you from using 3 buttons is monitor orientation -- almost all rotary games use a vertical monitor.

Thanks for the input Scott, Ikari III is one of the main reasons I was thinking at least 3 buttons. It would still be playable just small. I'm also adding some non-rotary vert games like 1943, Commando etc. and am wondering if any would benefit from 4 buttons. Think I need to come up with a final list of games I want to play to know for sure, it'll either be 3 or 4.