Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Let's Play: Seriously, W.T.H. Is This? (eBay Auction Edition)  (Read 8657 times)

SlammedNiss

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:09:00 am
  • Mine Drags the Ground!
Let's Play: Seriously, W.T.H. Is This? (eBay Auction Edition)
« on: September 04, 2016, 07:28:16 am »

(click the pic to see the auction)

Yes, I know it's a CP, but $115 shipped for a piece of bent metal that's crappily overlayed with a piece of ugly baby blue vinyl with a few generic labels? Is this what our hobby, as a whole, is coming to?

Make sure you check out some of his OTHER auctions as well.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 03:19:17 am by SlammedNiss »
Need arcade button decals? Click Here!

Titchgamer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
Re: Let's Play: Seriously, W.T.H. Is This? (eBay Auction Edition)
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2016, 07:31:11 am »
Yup that looks like....

Meadow Muffin!

I believe is the term used round here lol

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 03:33:28 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2016, 10:30:53 am »
Is this what our hobby, as a whole, is coming to?

I wouldn't consider this an example of where the hobby is going, rather a very good example of the way the operators themselves have contributed to the destruction of their industry.  This part was obviously on location, and it shows the minimal effort so many of them put in, to keep the games producing quarters for them.  Poorly executed conversions, wrong controls for games,  etc. were rampant for quite a while toward the end.

Few self-respecting members of this community, would put so little effort into the appearance of their panels.  But if they did, even they would be more likely to get a pass, as it's just for them, and not intended for public use.

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2016, 10:59:30 am »
Sadly it seems that this type of listing is getting to be normal -- The lister probably doesn't realize it is not an original DK jr. CP and just looked at comparable prices for a DK Jr. CP to come up with the listing price since (s)he has no clue what a piece of bent rusty metal should sell for !

big10p

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 01, 2023, 01:46:23 pm
  • Mmmm, arcade classics!
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2016, 11:38:47 am »

I wouldn't consider this an example of where the hobby is going, rather a very good example of the way the operators themselves have contributed to the destruction of their industry.  This part was obviously on location, and it shows the minimal effort so many of them put in, to keep the games producing quarters for them.  Poorly executed conversions, wrong controls for games,  etc. were rampant for quite a while toward the end.

Few self-respecting members of this community, would put so little effort into the appearance of their panels.  But if they did, even they would be more likely to get a pass, as it's just for them, and not intended for public use.
To play Devil's advocate somewhat, operator's were running a business, not a personal collection of cosseted machines. Like any business, it's all about making money. They also will have had substantial overheads to cover before even making a profit. Downtime for a cab = lost revenue, so quick & nasty fixes were often the order of the day, unfortunately.

MTPPC

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 26, 2021, 02:25:46 pm
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2016, 12:20:13 pm »
You should thank the ops that bastardized these games. The op hoards that I've come into kept the cp's, marquees and PCB's and then junked the cabinets. BTW, these are the ops that bought games brand new and if they didn't do that, we would have even fewer games surviving today.
Pinball and Video Arcade Repair in Billings, MT USA
http://pinballmd.com/

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 03:33:28 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2016, 01:01:13 pm »
To play Devil's advocate somewhat, operator's were running a business, not a personal collection of cosseted machines. Like any business, it's all about making money. They also will have had substantial overheads to cover before even making a profit. Downtime for a cab = lost revenue, so quick & nasty fixes were often the order of the day, unfortunately.

I'm very familiar with overheads ;).   I know you stated that you were playing Devil's Advocate, but I think you may be missing my point.  When you paid your quarter at an arcade, you were paying for more than just a chance to play a game.  You were purchasing an experience.  Part of that was using controls designed specifically for the game, as well as all of the "bells and whistles" of the cabinet art, design, etc...  When the Atari computers, and second-gen consoles arrived on the scene, many of the arcade ports offered very good gameplay, on par with the arcade versions.  But using poor controls, and sitting in front of a TV while playing, didn't feel at all the same.

When operators started cutting corners, they devalued the experience.  Bad controls, lackluster artwork, poor conversions and disrepair, made the home experience more and more acceptable, sometimes even preferable.  In the end, these practices contributed to the demise of an industry they relied on for income.  I believe the adage is "Penny wise, pound foolish".

big10p

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 01, 2023, 01:46:23 pm
  • Mmmm, arcade classics!
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2016, 01:25:19 pm »

I'm very familiar with overheads ;).   I know you stated that you were playing Devil's Advocate, but I think you may be missing my point.  When you paid your quarter at an arcade, you were paying for more than just a chance to play a game.  You were purchasing an experience.  Part of that was using controls designed specifically for the game, as well as all of the "bells and whistles" of the cabinet art, design, etc...  When the Atari computers, and second-gen consoles arrived on the scene, many of the arcade ports offered very good gameplay, on par with the arcade versions.  But using poor controls, and sitting in front of a TV while playing, didn't feel at all the same.

When operators started cutting corners, they devalued the experience.  Bad controls, lackluster artwork, poor conversions and disrepair, made the home experience more and more acceptable, sometimes even preferable.  In the end, these practices contributed to the demise of an industry they relied on for income.  I believe the adage is "Penny wise, pound foolish".
I do see your point. Must admit, I hadn't quite seen it in those terms, but yes, I guess operators were damaging their own trade with all the nasty, quick fixes they performed. I think the death of the arcade was coming no matter what, though, with the advancement in console tech. I agree consoles aren't a patch on the whole arcade experience of playing, but I think many were willing to forgo that for the thrill of being able to play 'arcade quality' games at home.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2016, 01:31:18 pm »
Good points Randy.

I think they over priced them as well which didnt help.
At Least over here anyway many games were priced at £1 a pop in the last years which was a expensive way to play really.

On the flip side though I dont recall any severe bodges made to the machines but I do sadly remember several being turned off and left to rot because they did not function correctly.

behrmr

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2021, 09:17:13 am
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2016, 01:39:37 pm »
I don't know what that panel came from. To me it looks like maybe even a poker machine conversion.  But to answer the question is that what this hobby is coming to? The answer is yes in that parting out games is profitable to sellers on eBay. 

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2016, 11:04:44 pm »

Oh, it got so bad at times. Here are things I have found in recent memory.

Time Soldiers conversion wired wrong, had no red. Was on location that way 10 years.
Golden Axe conversion, 4 way sticks, on location until 1994. I literally stopped my first game after about 60 seconds and tore it apart and fixed it. How many kids days were ruined when they dropped their only quarter into this and didn't understand why it sucked.
4 Player NBA Hangtime conversion of a gauntlet. No isolation transformer, no fuses, no line filter. Tax stickers until 2003.

Does your local mall have a Tilt? Go there and you will find games that have had bad monitors for years still powered up every day like there was nothing wrong with them.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2016, 03:44:54 am »
Damn that Golden Axe story nearly brought a tear to my eye Paige!

Did you drop to your knees and shout WWWHHHYYYY!?

Think I would of...

nordemoniac

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2023, 02:41:28 am
  • Weee! Hahaha...
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2016, 07:20:34 pm »
SWTHIT...
eBay

Slippyblade

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2016, 07:52:37 pm »
Does your local mall have a Tilt? Go there and you will find games that have had bad monitors for years still powered up every day like there was nothing wrong with them.

Quoted fro great truth.  I run into this all the time.  Monitors that look like they are smeared with vaseline, they are so fuzzy.  Colors completely blown out.  Six button fighter games where only 3 buttons work.  Joysticks that only work left or right, but not the other...

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2016, 08:08:13 pm »
SWTHIT...
eBay

Holy meadow muffin....

Think ime in the wrong job LOL

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2016, 11:09:45 pm »
SWTHIT...
eBay

Holy meadow muffin....

They have never sold one. They constantly have 4 models for sale. Go through their feedback, they only ever sold one cabinet and it was YEARS ago and it was their "cheap" one.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2016, 03:54:20 am »
SWTHIT...
eBay

Holy meadow muffin....

They have never sold one. They constantly have 4 models for sale. Go through their feedback, they only ever sold one cabinet and it was YEARS ago and it was their "cheap" one.

At that price I wouldn't be surprised!

Thats a more money than sense thing right there.

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2016, 05:04:42 pm »
SWTHIT...
eBay

Holy meadow muffin....

At that price I wouldn't be surprised!

Thats a more money than sense thing right there.

Just one of the 600 dudes out there who pretend to be an actual company composed of full time cabinet builders when in reality they are one guy, with a day job, who rarely sells anything at all other than a 60 in 1 on craigslist.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2016, 05:26:48 pm »
I considered selling some myself a while ago or renting out in pubs etc but decided the extra hassle and potential legal issues made it a no go.

Ile just enjoy building, tinkering and playing instead :)

Alejo I

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:16:18 pm
  • Trying something new
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2016, 07:29:50 am »
SWTHIT...
eBay
I love Jace Hall. He's a legendary old school developer (one of the driving forces behind Blood!) and an all around top bloke, but that is just ghastly.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2016, 08:04:49 am »
SWTHIT...
eBay

Anyone read any of the listing? Beyond just the typos, there are these gems:

"Note: The software that enables this rotating marquee feature will be completed sometime in 2014. Software update will be provided free of charge at that time."

and
"After nearly 9 Months we personally delivered this one of a kind game to HDFilms studios in North Hollywood, CA."
followed by:
"Now you can own your version of this game!"

If you can have your own version, how is the first one of a kind?

I think I found the name of my next project: 'Jace came to me in 2011 looking to make the "Uiltimate Game Machine Of All Time".'

I am curious how they set up Hyperspin but don't include any emulators or ROMs ; its implied there is no software configuration at all.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2016, 10:56:01 am »
Yeah I thought that was funny myself.

As for HS I presume they are trying to flaunt ebays rules.

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:52:10 am
  • Flipping out
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137295.0.html
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2016, 12:02:03 pm »
There's nothing quite like playing pacman with pixels the size of your fist 18" from your face. And don't forget the ache from having to move your head to see all the screen.

<goes back into hyperspin menu>

Epileptic fit in 5...4...3...

This would have made far more sense as a pedestal. But all things to all people.  :dizzy:

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2016, 01:31:53 pm »
SWTHIT...
eBay

and
"After nearly 9 Months we personally delivered this one of a kind game to HDFilms studios in North Hollywood, CA."
followed by:

That right there shows it isn't a real company with real facilities and is instead just one dude with a day job, kids, a nagging wife and a CNC setup out in the garage. Those cabinets should be only 1 or 2 days to do if it was a full-time deal, not something that takes months of lead time.

nexusmtz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 01, 2022, 03:14:22 am
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2016, 07:54:11 pm »
Just one of the 600 dudes out there who pretend to be an actual company composed of full time cabinet builders when in reality they are one guy, with a day job, who rarely sells anything at all other than a 60 in 1 on craigslist.

I don't think someone is pretending when he describes their part-time family business history and explains who 'we' is. According to the listing, Jack and Jan have a CNC machine. He says it'll take 6-8 weeks to build a machine. I'd much rather have him be upfront about it than wonder where the hell my item is.

He gives you enough information to make a decision. That's what a listing is for. It sounds like you don't want to buy it. Me neither, but that's because of the information provided, not because I made suppositions about his operation.

DISCLOSURE: Jack built/drilled a custom control panel for me in 2006. I can't defend a lot of the points that have been brought up, but he gets my support on this one.

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2016, 02:04:58 am »
He says it'll take 6-8 weeks to build a machine. I'd much rather have him be upfront about it than wonder where the hell my item is.

Yeah, that part is true. I do monitor repairs. Some weeks I can manage to get in 6 hours of work on them. Other weeks it is zero. One bad monitor in my repair chain can set everything else back a month.

SlammedNiss

• Offline Offline
  • Mine Drags the Ground!
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2017, 07:36:49 am »
Adding another 'WTF is this' item

HERE OR Click the pic!!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 03:22:26 am by SlammedNiss »

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2017, 08:07:09 am »
Doesnt seem to link to anything mate?

But going purely off the pic I cant decide if thats kinda cool in a ---fouled up beyond all recognition--- up wierd kind of way or damn hideous!

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:58:22 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2017, 09:44:38 am »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/182546607881

Haven't seen something like that since the early 90s.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2017, 12:45:39 pm »
Cheers PBJ,

$300 for a box, tv and 2 pads seems a little expensive to me!?

Having now seen the side pics ive decided its Fugly!!

SlammedNiss

• Offline Offline
  • Mine Drags the Ground!
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2017, 06:11:59 pm »
Doesnt seem to link to anything mate?

But going purely off the pic I cant decide if thats kinda cool in a ---fouled up beyond all recognition--- up wierd kind of way or damn hideous!

Clicking the pic links to the auction. At least it's supposed to... That's the way I have the BBCode set up....
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 03:21:39 am by SlammedNiss »

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2017, 06:21:16 pm »
Didnt work for me matey, maybe because ime on tapatalk?

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:58:22 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2017, 06:55:29 pm »
This forum constantly chews up the bbcode, it's a pain in the ass hot linking images.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2017, 08:02:39 pm »
Lol.  It's made of wainscoting.  That's gotta be a hillbilly/redneck creation.

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2017, 01:49:55 am »
That CP has been on Ebay for at least two years.  I usually do oddball searches that yield interesting arcade related items.  This CP showed up more times in these searched listings. 

What is it?  Your guess is as good as mine.  ::)
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2017, 06:36:55 am »

I grew up near the largest casino in the United States. Their retro games are bastardized so bad that it's unplayable. I've seen better machines in laundry mats. I even fixed one for a laundrymat so my daughter and I could play it. But Foxwoods is all up on maintaining their lame @ss scammy ticket machines.

smass

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 09, 2024, 07:46:54 pm
  • Cheapskate Arcade
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2017, 01:01:51 pm »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/182546607881

Haven't seen something like that since the early 90s.

Funny thing is a decent coat of paint and a better freebie TV (one with digital controls instead of a dial) would improve the eye appeal of this thing 1000%.  I have no problem with folks trying to do something on the cheap - but it blows my mind that some folks can be this lazy....

SlammedNiss

• Offline Offline
  • Mine Drags the Ground!
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2018, 10:05:08 am »
Well, at least he lowered his price? And that shipping to boot!

Click the pic above or here.   -----> https://www.ebay.com/itm/263676807247

lisowskikevin

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 30, 2021, 10:42:04 am
  • If you take shortcuts, you get cut short.
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2018, 10:30:44 am »
Why would anyone vet buy that rusty beat up piece of metal????? No way he sells that!

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2023, 11:39:06 pm
  • Build the impossible -"There is no Spoon"
    • DeLuSioNaL's YouTube Videos
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2018, 05:01:51 pm »
Might be worth that if he advertised it as a Centuri Swimmer control panel.

https://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=9988

DeL
Stop by my Youtube channel and leave a comment: