Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Hello & and a (probably) unconventional question about raspberry pi 1/2/3/zero  (Read 2506 times)

thet0ast3r

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 26, 2020, 02:10:37 pm
  • Chihiro ftw
First off, I just recently created an account here at arcadeControls, and I wanted to say hi.  :)
This is, of course, my first post, so please feel free to point out any mistakes. :)

Now, about a pretty specific question: Is there any chance that it is possible to use a raspberry pi (any model) as some sort of input selector? The Idea: usb joystick in, ipac in, lots of other stuff in, and then simulating the output of e.g. a usb controller, or, what might be needed more, dreamcast, xbox, ps / ps2 controllers and much more.

I thought about that, since i found that a lot of people have cabs that have multiple systems in them, but either switch manually or use jamma connectors/switches or some sort of workaround, which doesn't seem as neat as it (probably) could be.
Maybe it's possible, maybe you guys from the forum can prove me wrong.

Greetings,

thet0ast3r
thet0ast3r

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:12:01 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
Welcome aboard, thet0ast3r.   ;D

The device you're describing sounds rather similar to the KADE miniConsole+.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kadevice/kade-miniconsole-a-smart-open-source-retro-gaming/description

Scott

thet0ast3r

• Offline Offline
  • Chihiro ftw
Wow, thats almost what I hoped, although sadly its not available yet, and I don't know (and I doubt) that it will be able to handle wiimote inputs and route them to xbox inputs, so that it kind of emulates an xbox lightgun.
But that thing, if it's not significally more expensive than a raspberry pi, could be a huge hit among retro fans/collectors/mame owners.

Ill look into it more deeply tomorrow.

thet0ast3r
thet0ast3r

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:12:01 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
Wow, thats almost what I hoped, although sadly its not available yet
Bruno has had them on his store page here for the last month or so.

The only downside is that shipping from Brazil is a bit expensive.

Scott

Duhjoker

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 29, 2016, 08:03:00 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
If you wanting to DIY then I would suggest using an arduino, maybe a pro-mini or a teensy depending on how much processor speed and flash memory you need for your program.

Multiple systems mean multiple emulators as far as cabs go. You stuff more electronics in a cab but in most ways it's easier to buy a cheap computer and go Mame. Most wiring harnesses now a days jam a or otherwise have a pretty simple set up procedure to use arcade controls with any emulator of your choosing.

I shouldn't say easy it took me a week to get it set up just how I wanted it.

One could also use a raspberry Pi as your emulator and front end which is pretty cheap and even has a HDMI so it will plug into any hd tv. And use an 8bitdo, PS3 or Xbox controller or build yourself a hand held.

But http://www.instructables.com/id/20-Portable-Raspberry-Pi-Game-Console/step5/Setup-the-Buttons-D-Pad-A-B-X-and-Y/hat you asked for at the top would be better handled by an arduino check them out just type in arduino and what ever your project is into your web browser and read

thet0ast3r

• Offline Offline
  • Chihiro ftw
I've never thought about using an arduino, as im not really familiar with them. About using the pie for the whole thing, that would work, but, I wouldn't be able to play x360, xbox ( including virtua cop 3 & ghost squad) and wii with the same controls... I hope I'll find some solution.

thet0ast3r
thet0ast3r

Duhjoker

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 29, 2016, 08:03:00 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
 Arduous are great lil MCU's, the applications are pretty endless. Lately people have been making thier own poke balls but they are great for robotics like Hexapods and quadcopters. The PWM out puts are great for sending data back and fourth between MCU and your project.

Hell you can even build a game system like a arduboy or Gamebuino but there aren't many games as of yet but guess what! You can make your own game! Right now the flash and graphics suck but I'm trying to add a color library.

What you are looking for may already have an application or program already just google arduino and your project.