Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Metallica PRO model pinball issues and fixes  (Read 9468 times)

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:40:39 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
Metallica PRO model pinball issues and fixes
« on: August 25, 2016, 01:50:03 pm »
Drop targets not registering:

There is an issue with the drop targets "switches" not picking up. These are 3 optical pickups. This is not a standard "break the beam" type of pickup, but a reflective pickup sensor similar to this:

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/osram-opto-semiconductors-inc/SFH-9240-Z/475-1239-2-ND/1881236

(sorry no picture of actual unit... will get one when I'm net at machine)

the issue is the "flags" on the sides of the drop targets aren't reflective enough for the optical sensors to pick up the reflection (either due to dirt or age). they are spaced quite far away (about 1/4 to 1/2 inch away from the sensors.

adding foil tape to the plastic flag seems to fix this issue and vastly improves pickup.

SPARKY COIL BURNUP:

Issue with the "sparky" movement coil burning up. (internet search shows several reported instances)

Not 100% sure about the cause, i'm talking with stern about it. Machine is on route but will be fixed.

Found my coil cooked. The plug into the step up board was tied back too short and somehow became unplugged either due to vibration or the harness getting pulled.

Current theory goes: Plug became partially disconnected... signal wire (at last position of plug) became intermittent and possibly caused the board to turn on the sparky solenoid and lock on. (Coil started to burn up, but then went open) Continued vibrations cause the plug to fully disconnect.

There seems to be a replacement step up board with a different transistor being used. (old unit with a TO-220 transistor (P40NF10L) and a newer version with a Dpak TO-263 looking device of unknown number. (parts on order will update with part #)

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
Re: Metallica PRO model pinball issues and fixes
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2016, 03:00:20 pm »
I received the new step up board today. it's driver is a "BUK7240-100A"

which is super weird because this one is rated at 100 volts 34 amps while the old "STP40NF10L" is a 100 volt 40 amp unit.

the BUK driver suggested uses are "12 V and 24 V loads" and "Automotive and general purpose"

:dunno

stupid stern

http://www.nxp.com/documents/data_sheet/BUK7240-100A.pdf

http://www.st.com/content/ccc/resource/technical/document/datasheet/69/2f/75/7c/70/e2/46/8e/CD00003023.pdf/files/CD00003023.pdf/jcr:content/translations/en.CD00003023.pdf

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 11:28:36 am »
Here is a comparison between the 2 boards. new board on the left, old on the right...\\

notice there is an extra pin where the empty "key" slot should be... thought it was for forward compatibility or whatever...remove the key plug in my connector. nope. Doesn't work.

STORY TIME!

A call to stern yields... It seems the issue with the machine is that the interlock switch contacts for the 50V get stuck together. when the door opens, the 50 volt stays active. bla bla bla board locks on the coil and fries it. (likely the cheap contacts are welding themselves together.)

So instead of replacing the interlock switch and fixing the root of the issue, they designed and spun a new board to deal with the problem. So now if the 50 volt line stays on, the disabled 20 volt line will keep it from operating.  :banghead:

classic electronic engineer problem solving. Don't FIX the issue, just DEAL with the issue.  :banghead:

So in order to get the new style board to work, you have to steal 20 volts from a nearby flasher or something and punch it into the IDC connector and remove the plug. Stern has a kit with connector and whatnot to plug and play this board. whatever, I can wire this. NBD.

Still, would be nice if there was a technical bulletin about this.

jennifer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 05:55:07 pm »
    And after you rob the power, creating a new problem somewhere else, Like OMG, one would think they actually take some time to just address the problem, My first thoughts would have been the driver boards, and would still be slowly banging my head on the wall out of sheer frustration.... ** Its fun they even talk to you, Jenn tried that once over at Rockola, tracked down some old retired guy who actually built the machine I was working on, and assaulted him with questions, However, his cancer meds kicked in as I was talking, and we had to cut it short.