Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Retropie and "flipping" games for cocktail mode  (Read 6261 times)

normanMsu96

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 24, 2016, 06:54:54 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Retropie and "flipping" games for cocktail mode
« on: August 24, 2016, 06:37:34 pm »
I have started experimenting with a R-pie 3b and retropie.  It seems quite nice, but I have no idea how to add emulators or if it's possible to flip the screen in games like Ms pac-man for my planned cocktail cab.  Help !  I am very Windows techy but I'm a rookie at Linux system stuff. 

PhiDeltCraiger

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 28, 2018, 12:58:36 pm
Re: Retropie and "flipping" games for cocktail mode
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 12:56:55 pm »
I've been working on a Pi power cocktail cabinet and have found there are generally two ways to flip the games to 90 degrees for vertical mode. The first is to set the emulator to rotate the game to which ever rotation you want. This is nice if you plan to have non-vertical mode games show correctly. The difficulty with this is that the game's aspect ratio can get messed up. The second way to rotate is to set the Pi's boot setting to rotate the screen 90 degrees. This makes everything show in the vertical mode, including the frontend, command line, etc. The problem with this is that it degrades performance somewhat. I've done it on my Pi v3 and haven't noticed any issues so far. It is also nice in that it rotates the front end so that a player sitting at on end of the monitor will have the game list rotated for them. I use RetroPie with mame libretro as the emulator. Works well so far. Advanced Mame is also nice.

ballboff

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 20, 2020, 04:27:54 am
Re: Retropie and "flipping" games for cocktail mode
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 03:18:01 am »
In mame I think you can set a dip switch to cocktail mode... You could do this manually for all your vertical games.  This is the best surefire way you're going to get it working properly on a cocktail cab as the screen will rotate for player 2 as it should.