Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: 3d printed lightguns - has someone done it before?  (Read 5046 times)

thet0ast3r

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 26, 2020, 02:10:37 pm
  • Chihiro ftw
3d printed lightguns - has someone done it before?
« on: March 11, 2019, 04:47:13 am »
I just bought a 3d printer and was curious if someone here has tried printing a light gun. When looking up thingiverse and equivalents, almost everytime nothing shows up, probably because of the problems with printing weapons on a 3d printer. If someone has a decent model or tried anything like that, let me know! :D
thet0ast3r

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
Re: 3d printed lightguns - has someone done it before?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2019, 10:16:18 am »
Andy Sindens proto type light gun was 3D printed.

thet0ast3r

• Offline Offline
  • Chihiro ftw
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 10:26:15 am »
Interresting. How was it? sturdy, did it have a good look/feel? It would be interresting, because i might design new cases for my topgun guns, since the topguns are so fragile, that i don`t really want to pull the trigger too hard.
Is it (obviously) noticeable in the fit & finish that it was printed?
thet0ast3r

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 10:28:41 am »
Interresting. How was it? sturdy, did it have a good look/feel? It would be interresting, because i might design new cases for my topgun guns, since the topguns are so fragile, that i don`t really want to pull the trigger too hard.
Is it (obviously) noticeable in the fit & finish that it was printed?

The one I used was pretty sturdy and looked and felt great.

But if it was going to be used “properly” I would of made it thicker as it was a bit thin walled in places.

SammyWI

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2022, 07:58:00 pm
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 07:25:22 pm »
No reason you can't 3d print a lightgun.  I'll be looking at the upcoming Sinden to possibly 3d print a new shell.  Most lightgun shells feel terrible to me but I'll have to wait and see on the Sinden.  If I do model one I'll share on Thingiverse and link here.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2019, 08:20:02 pm »
If you are just talking about the shell, going to your local dollar general or _mart and looking down the toy gun isle might yield better results.  They'll be bright green or orange, but you'll still be able to find toy guns shaped like real firearms with enough room inside to put lightgun guts. 

Right now I'm trying to figure out the guts part.... I want a gun that'll work in cramped quarters... then I'll make it look pretty. 

lightgungamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2020, 02:43:28 am
  • I love playing Light Gun Games
    • LightgunGame.com
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2019, 09:12:29 am »
If you are just talking about the shell, going to your local dollar general or _mart and looking down the toy gun isle might yield better results.  They'll be bright green or orange, but you'll still be able to find toy guns shaped like real firearms with enough room inside to put lightgun guts. 

Right now I'm trying to figure out the guts part.... I want a gun that'll work in cramped quarters... then I'll make it look pretty.

Yeah, thats how I would do it. Unless you really want to just print one or have a very specific shape in mind you will be better off just finding a old light gun shell.
There are loads of old lightguns that are pretty much useless to most people and you can pick them up or pennies. those have the advantages of already having buttons wired in so you can just swap you components in.
https://LightGunGamer.com - every Lightgun game and how to play them
Dolphin Emulator

SammyWI

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2022, 07:58:00 pm
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2019, 06:00:31 pm »

I've done exactly that for Aimtracks with airsoft shells.  It works well in some ways but still has it's downsides.  Can be hard to fit parts into the shell, get a trigger switch rigged up, etc.  But I do have some pretty specific wants so I'm not going to be an average case here.  Plus I do 3d design at work and own a 3D printer so I really should put that to use.  ;D

thet0ast3r

• Offline Offline
  • Chihiro ftw
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2019, 06:18:28 pm »

Yea, sadly its kind of hard in austria to find big toy guns that are not for children`s hands, and they are most often not suited/ dont have much room for electronics. Also, they feel cheap, too.

The best shells i have to date are the orignal sega type II ir gun shells, bought from the UK. Thats some quality.
thet0ast3r

Zebra

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 01:12:24 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2019, 04:11:16 pm »
Airsoft gun shells are probably a better idea than toy guns. The higher end ones are often superior to even the best arcade guns in build quality and realism. They aren't cheap though.

I have tried it with airsoft Tavor, P90, F2000 and Steyr AUG shells. All have enough room for a solenoid and light gun electronics. And there is that awesome mini Uzi project on this site.

I just finished building my CNC mill and I was thinking of making a custom light gun shell out of aluminum. 3d printing can be decent but not necessarily with the cheap home extruded designs.