Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Next step in my Console addiction: Forge TV  (Read 3818 times)

knave

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 13, 2023, 03:32:33 pm
Next step in my Console addiction: Forge TV
« on: August 22, 2016, 04:25:12 pm »
Forge TV is Razer's stab at an android micro console. It specs out just under a Nvidia Shield in terms of power but costs less.

It's like the OUYA all over again...good hardware, ok software and lousy reviews...But I liked the OUYA so picked  up a Forge TV while they have it on sale for $99 with two controllers and $10 store credit.

My first impressions are good. I have Netflix, HBO and Kodi running all my media and a few games to pass the time...
...And they bought OUYA...so 70% of my OUYA purchases have transferred over.

It has some quirks and the UI is only OK...but, it is the closest thing so far to the "do-it-all" box I dream about.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Re: Next step in my Console addiction: Forge TV
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 05:00:13 pm »
I'm not sure why you just didn't wait until the Nintendo NX comes out.  It's going to be similar to the shield, but you know, with actual games. 

knave

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 05:22:55 pm »
I am curious about the NX...but I wanted something to run a new version of Kodi(now). So I took the $30 I would have spent on a cheap item rolled it in to getting a console with two Bluetooth controllers which conveniently work not only with the Forge TV but with my OUYA, other android devices, my PC and whatever else I can connect it to.

I only want to play games 10% of the time...the rest is TV and movies.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 06:33:24 pm »
I'm worried to be honest.  I would hope that Nintendo had sense enough to make the NX as powerful as the ps4/xbone but considering it's rumored to have a tegra processor I don't know.  It's going to alienate the one audience they still have..... "core" gamers like myself, if we are forced to buy another console that isn't any more powerful than the current one.  I'm afraid what will happen is Nintendo will become a portable console only company, which would suck.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:39:05 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2016, 08:22:41 pm »
NX.  Lol.  Nintendo burned any brand equity they had with the wiiu.   

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2016, 12:15:19 am »
Considering the head of the company was frikkin dying of cancer during the wii u's run, I tend to give it a little slack.  There was nothing wrong with the console.... it just didn't have enough games. 

Generic Eric

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 09:02:23 am
  • Restore! Don't maim for MAME, build from scratch!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,143226.0.html
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2016, 12:24:10 am »
Not to jack the thread, but I'm looking forward to the next nintendo console.  I'm hoping for good things.  I skipped the wii u in anticipation for whatever is next.

I hope the launch games are usual suspects.  I'm looking forward to new mario kart, donkey kong, metroid and zelda, starfox and we are overdue for some F-Zero I think.

*shrug*

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2016, 01:56:52 am »
Metroid is dead, Other M killed it.  We just got a Star Fox, so there won't be one for quite some time.  Zelda is confirmed and I'm sure a new SMB game.  F-Zero probably isn't going to happen.  That's the thing.... it's getting about time for them to make an announcement and they haven't. (Expected release is March of next year).  That makes me think the launch titles are a bit weak. 

Man I killed another thread didn't I? 

Generic Eric

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2016, 02:08:02 am »
Metroid is dead, Other M killed it.  We just got a Star Fox, so there won't be one for quite some time.  Zelda is confirmed and I'm sure a new SMB game.  F-Zero probably isn't going to happen.  That's the thing.... it's getting about time for them to make an announcement and they haven't. (Expected release is March of next year).  That makes me think the launch titles are a bit weak. 

Man I killed another thread didn't I?

Nah

I've got a list of wants.  Who doesn't?   :cheers:

AM2; whatever its called may prove a sufficient kick for another metroid game.  Who knows?  :dunno

knave

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2016, 03:56:08 am »
So is the whole Mobile/console hybrid thing a gimic or is it going to be a huge innovation like the wii (my thread I can hijack if I want)

EssexMame

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 03, 2024, 10:52:05 am
  • Mame Weekender
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2016, 09:26:17 am »
I'm worried to be honest.  I would hope that Nintendo had sense enough to make the NX as powerful as the ps4/xbone but considering it's rumored to have a tegra processor I don't know. 

Tegra X2, said to be more powerful than PS4 Neo and XBox One.

Generic Eric

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2016, 10:24:01 am »
So is the whole Mobile/console hybrid thing a gimic or is it going to be a huge innovation like the wii (my thread I can hijack if I want)

I think it has more to do with quality games.  Quality games we can buy and install on more than 1 device.

The rest is marketing.  Say what you want about DRM, but steam changed the way games got to me.  I can wait for reviews, wait for a sale, etc.  Nintendo needs to work on its licensing and get agreements for a game to be accessible perpetually. The estore, and wii store and wiiu store are silly.  One store please.

Innovation has its place obviously, but Nintendo has its hits.  They have their brand.  All I want now is to play some nintendo on my living room tv and buy their games digitally.  I want to buy games from my phone, have them downloaded to my console like I can with amazon and my kindle.  I also want to have more than one device like I can with amazon and with netflix.

I think the only innovation left is applying the successes of sales models in steam and amazon.  Customer feedback, a nice forum like we have here.  A monthly magazine.  esports.

:soapbox:

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2016, 10:49:31 am »
WiiU was Nintendo's Sega Saturn.  They're gonna have to pull something amazing out of their ass for NX.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2016, 12:52:54 pm »
WiiU was Nintendo's Sega Saturn.  They're gonna have to pull something amazing out of their ass for NX.

*sigh*

No it wasn't.  First off, the Sega Saturn did really well, just not here in the US.  Secondly, Sega didn't have a best selling handheld making them money hand over fist during the Saturn years.  Lastly, the Wii U wasn't the third flopped console in a series of flopped consoles.... the Wii sold fantastically and the Gamecube sold respectively well.    I get it, you aren't fond of Nintendo anymore, but you aren't making objective comparisons. 

I do agree that they need to do something, but the reason is the new President of Nintendo isn't a gaming insider.  If they don't make money on consoles he'll most likely cut the console division.  He doesn't understand that while consoles sometimes make them lose money, it keeps the IPs alive, so they HAVE to do it. 

Eric:

According to polls at least, you are in the minority.  Most Nintendo gamers, particularly the Japanese ones, want physical media.  I doubt Nintendo will ever do a unified shop like Sony, because, unlike Sony, their old games hold their value.  Why would they let you buy Zelda once when they can make you buy it every console generation?  It sucks, but it's good business.  What I think they will do is start releasing compilations.  The NES Classic seems like a test to me.  Hardware costs aside, you are getting those games for 2 bucks a piece, which is considerably less than their VC counterparts.  The more than one device thing is NEVER going to happen as it weakens the brand.  If you could play their games on, let's say, a cell phone, they would no longer have a strangle hold on you to buy the next console.  Also that's the scary part of this whole thing.  When the NX launches, they will have one, and only one console.  3DS sales have finally started to drop and yet they haven't announced a new handheld... the NX IS the new handheld AND the new console, so if it doesn't sell well they are screwed.

knave

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2016, 01:27:50 pm »
I am getting a feeling (unsubstantiated as it may be) that the NXs new thing will be Wii U like tablet controllers that let you play as a mobile platform or a console on your TV.

I envision a Nintendo Tablet/handheld (new DS?) that connects via Wi-Fi to a Nintendo "steam-link" device at the TV.

In any case I will try to withhold judgement until I see it but it does not sound as innovative as the wii motion controls.

Question: What are the top 10 Nintendo Games that I should emulate Right now on my Forge TV? If you hate Nintendo Feel free to substitute.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2016, 07:48:10 pm »
It's all but confirmed at this point.  The NX is basically a tablet.  It will have removable wiimote-like controls on either side and a docking station to connect to the tv.  Some sources say it will take carts like the 3ds and others say it will be digital only.  My guess is the docking station will have a disc drive and you'll be able to download games to it for on the go and it might still have a cart slot for 3ds compatibility.

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2023, 07:20:00 pm
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2016, 09:00:55 am »
Top ten nintendo? Just nes or all nintendo consoles? Does n64 count? Does it have to be a Nintendo release or just games from nintendo consoles?

Here is a list of my favorites that you have probably played.

Chrono trigger
Donkey kong country 2 (or any really)
Mega man 2
Super metroid
Legend of Zelda  ( I honestly  didn't like the 2nd one)
Banjo kazooie
Conkers bad fur day
Super Mario rpg
earthworm jim
Uniracers.

Yeah Yeah most are bandwagon games, but for a  reason though right.

But that's just a list of games I like.

knave

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2016, 01:22:20 pm »
Top ten nintendo? Just nes or all nintendo consoles? Does n64 count? Does it have to be a Nintendo release or just games from nintendo consoles?

Here is a list of my favorites that you have probably played.

Chrono trigger
Donkey kong country 2 (or any really)
Mega man 2
Super metroid
Legend of Zelda  ( I honestly  didn't like the 2nd one)
Banjo kazooie
Conkers bad fur day
Super Mario rpg
earthworm jim
Uniracers.

Yeah Yeah most are bandwagon games, but for a  reason though right.

But that's just a list of games I like.

Nice thanks!

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2016, 01:47:44 pm »
I didn't respond to that one because the question boggled my mind.  Nearly EVERY first party Nintendo title is great at worst, or a masterpiece at best.  Just avoid anything that ends in "party", "strikers" or "music".  Oh and you can probably skip Metroid Other M... it's their first "meh" game in recent history.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2016, 02:01:03 pm »
I didn't respond because it was a lazy and stupid question.

knave

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2016, 06:10:44 pm »
I didn't respond because it was a lazy and stupid question.

:P

LOL
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 11:34:32 am by knave »