Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Greetings from Texas  (Read 1485 times)

TJR2D2

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 28, 2021, 08:33:48 pm
  • WTB: Tron, Gorf. Want to create MAME Cabinet
Greetings from Texas
« on: April 27, 2017, 04:44:17 pm »
Greetings All, My name is Tommy.  I currently live in San Antonio and have been a video/arcade game fan for as long as I can remember.  I grew up in Rhode Island and used to love going to the neighborhood corner store, bowling alleys, and of course the Arcade to play my favorite games.  I miss those times, not so much for taking all my money, but the games.  Consoles are great, they just are not the same experience or feel as a real, dark, blacklight lit, glowing carpet arcades of not so long ago. 
I am here to look for help in both acquiring and building for a "small" arcade in my house.  The wife has given me the green light, so I do not want to waste any time!  (You all know what I'm saying?)
Any and all help would be great.  Where should I start looking; What should I read, who can help, who should/shouldn't I talk to, etc. 
thanks for having me and I look forward to hearing from you all.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 05:49:59 pm by TJR2D2 »

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:01:54 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
Re: Greetings from Texas
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 05:19:48 pm »
If you're in the Houston area, join the Houston Area Arcade Group on Facebook. 

:cheers:

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 10:26:36 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017, 05:32:04 pm »
Welcome aboard, Tommy.   ;D

Where should I start looking; What should I read
One great place to start is the FAQ.

Bad news: The wiki is still down from the server transfer last year.  :banghead:

Good news: The Internet Wayback Machine has a backup.
https://web-beta.archive.org/web/20160809113045/http://newwiki.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?title=FAQ

There's also lots of good stuff in Project Announcements.   ;D

who can help, who should/shouldn't I talk to, etc. 
You'll know them when you see them.   ::)   :lol

Scott

TJR2D2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2017, 05:53:55 pm »
If you're in the Houston area, join the Houston Area Arcade Group on Facebook. 

:cheers:

Thanks PBJ.  I actually live not too far from Houston.  I am in the San Antonio area and do not mind making a trip that way to learn, buy, trade, etc. 

TJR2D2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2017, 05:59:30 pm »
Welcome aboard, Tommy.   ;D

Where should I start looking; What should I read
One great place to start is the FAQ.

Bad news: The wiki is still down from the server transfer last year.  :banghead:

Good news: The Internet Wayback Machine has a backup.
https://web-beta.archive.org/web/20160809113045/http://newwiki.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?title=FAQ

There's also lots of good stuff in Project Announcements.   ;D

who can help, who should/shouldn't I talk to, etc. 
You'll know them when you see them.   ::)   :lol

Scott

Thanks Scott. I appreciate the info.  I look forward to learning all I can.  With the green light from the wife, I wish to get started as soon as possible, but without of course breaking the bank.  I will check out those places you detailed right away.  Thanks again and I am glad to be on board!  I feel welcome already! :)

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:01:54 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2017, 06:54:11 pm »
I got a buddy in Schertz that's an avid pinball guy.  If you go to one of his parties you'll meet a lot of area folks quick.  I'll pm you with his contact details.

In the Houston area you need to check out the Game Preserve and Lone Star Pinball Museum.  Not much on location in San Antonio, sadly.

TJR2D2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2017, 07:11:49 pm »
I got a buddy in Schertz that's an avid pinball guy.  If you go to one of his parties you'll meet a lot of area folks quick.  I'll pm you with his contact details.

In the Houston area you need to check out the Game Preserve and Lone Star Pinball Museum.  Not much on location in San Antonio, sadly.

That would be great! Thank you very much! 

Yeah, San Antonio is definitely lacking in the area of pinball and arcade machines.  There are the Chuck E. Cheese's, and the like with some small scattered arcades which are okay, but not to my liking. 

Which is why I want to make my own and hopefully purchase my dream machine...a Tron Arcade!!