Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Star Wars yoke bartop?  (Read 1823 times)

RubberB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 18, 2024, 04:52:23 pm
Star Wars yoke bartop?
« on: August 03, 2016, 06:37:09 am »
Does anyone know of a bartop kit available in the UK which would be suitable for mounting an Atari Star Wars flight yoke? There would need to be sufficient space under the control panel for the back of the yoke (or have a raised mount on top of the panel like the hydra or roadblasters yokes had) and the angle of the screen would have to be such that the view isn't blocked by the yoke (especially if a raised mount is used). Any ideas? If a kit's not available, does anyone have any drawings/plans?
Thanks in advance!

RubberB

• Offline Offline
Re: Star Wars yoke bartop?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 07:03:36 am »
A couple of clarifications: (1) doesn't have to look like the Atari Star Wars cabinet; and (2) I'd envisage putting an LCD in it not a CRT monitor to save space and weight.

BigCurtis

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 18, 2018, 05:11:38 pm
  • Life is Game.
    • Angry Cat Entertainment
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 07:31:28 pm »
Looking at the yoke on my Jedi, it is already... 80% the volume of what I think of as the smaller bartops, so I expect you're going with/looking for a larger "bartop"?

Thinking on what compromises I'd make if I couldn't have a fullsize cabinet, I think I'd look at either something like the Pin-Up project, or a pedestal (with the HDMI dropcord to the bigscreen), but one of those large bar-tops like the SNK, which use their own pedestal, would be considered as well.

I've perused a lot of bartop designs, and most fall into the sloped-back style followed by mini-but-looks-like-a-big-classic-cabinet style. The Upright ROTJ already looks like it's on a pedestal to some degree, so creating a looks-similar mini starwars cab should be doable.

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 03:20:18 pm »

You don't want to save weight on a Star Wars bartop.  Not unless you want to be able to flip the thing over yanking the yoke around once you're good at it.

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2016, 12:01:39 am »
Having owned the real gear I have to say that your plan is bad. You couldn't even mount the thing to the average bartop and you would just flip the thing over unless it was a heavy crt based build.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

RubberB

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2016, 01:58:42 am »
Yup. I decided that a yoke based bartop wasn't really going to work. I'm building a freestanding slim cabinet which will be bracketed to the wall at the top.
Ps I did post about this a while ago but a few posts from this thread seem to have disappeared as a result of the forum's server issues earlier this month.

RubberB

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2016, 06:29:46 pm »
Incidentally, I need to replace the springs in my yoke. I have the spares ready to go in, but it looks like I'd have to cut the molex connector off to do it. Has anyone worked out some magic way to replace the springs without cutting off the molex?

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 05:04:12 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2016, 08:19:50 pm »
Incidentally, I need to replace the springs in my yoke. I have the spares ready to go in, but it looks like I'd have to cut the molex connector off to do it. Has anyone worked out some magic way to replace the springs without cutting off the molex?
No magic required.

1. Label the left-handle and right-handle wire groups.  Also label the Y-axis wire group if you're replacing the X-axis springs. (You don't need to disconnect the Y-axis wiring if you're only replacing the Y-axis springs)

2 Take/label pics of the wire colors connected to the Y-axis pot and handle switches if they don't match the labeled pics below.

2. Desolder wires from the pot and switches.

3. One wire group at a time, pull the wires free. (in case you lose the tape flag)   ;D

Scott
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 08:30:55 pm by PL1 »

RubberB

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2016, 01:54:30 am »
Ah ha! Thanks, Scott. I considered that but thought I would be making too much work for myself. Is it tricky to thread the wires back through to the handles when you're done?

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 05:04:12 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2016, 11:27:19 am »
You shouldn't have any problem.   ;D

It will be a lot easier to push/fish the wires through than to re-pin the molex.

Scott