Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: [Opinions / Critiques / Suggestions] Storm trooper Bar top Art  (Read 24600 times)

efp9teen78

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 20, 2023, 08:53:29 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Been doing this all with photoshop mix on my phone so may not be the best. But if anybody wants to take my starting point and take it to the finish line I'd appreciate it

GSXRMovistar

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 02, 2023, 07:10:28 pm
  • Gez, this is gonna be expensive!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,148135.0.html
    • CoffeeCade
Re: [Opinions / Critiques / Suggestions] Storm trooper Bar top Art
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 06:43:33 am »
For me there's too many styles in the mix, not keen on the mix of both vector art (background) and photo stuff (stormtroopers and second SW logo) plus having both the old and new type stormtroopers.

However I do like the theme and think it has potential especially of you were to build it more around your avatar image:-

Loads of stormtrooper vector art available on the web and think you could put something rather cool together.

efp9teen78

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 12:40:08 pm »
I think I am gonna change the theme ever so slightly. In my search of vector images I was inspired by a few Kylo Ren Images that showed up in the more like this

thomas_surles

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2023, 07:20:00 pm
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2016, 06:45:06 pm »
I'd go with the last one silhouette style. It's subtle, yet strong.

efp9teen78

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2016, 08:59:07 am »
I really like this but it will only work on the one side. I cant mirror the image and fix the text of "KYLO REN" to not be backwards not that good in GIMP or Photoshop. Also attached what i would use as a marquee.

fcobenitez

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 23, 2022, 12:36:40 pm
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2016, 01:57:29 am »
I was about to go to sleep, but I found your thread and decided to give it a go.
It was more like a test, to see if it was possible to mirror the image and make it work, I think it looks decent. If you are not in a hurry, I could help you with the vectors for the sideart, but it won't be too soon, sorry. Let me know what you think.
Also, about the marquee, I wouldn't reiterate the Kylo Ren face, maybe something more subtle like the sideart, or another distinctive element... Sorry for me not being clear, I'm falling asleep LOL

efp9teen78

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2016, 11:20:07 am »
Wow man that looks great to me not sure what you mean with the vextors. Thanks alot shoot me a pm if you want.

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2021, 12:21:09 pm
  • Don't half-ass two things, whole-ass one thing.
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2016, 11:32:09 am »
The one above looks more like a Jason hockey mask to me.
If you can read this, it means Photobucket's money grab ruined my signature photos.

fcobenitez

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 23, 2022, 12:36:40 pm
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2016, 11:46:23 am »
The one above looks more like a Jason hockey mask to me.

I know, it doesnt look like Kylo at first glance, I would like to modifiy it a little bit to make it more recognizable

Wow man that looks great to me not sure what you mean with the vextors. Thanks alot shoot me a pm if you want.

No problem man, I'm glad to be helpful.
Vector artwork means that it won't lose quality, no matter at what size you need it.
As I said in my previous post, I can help you making the sidearts with vector artwork, but it won't be anytime soon, sadly - real life comes first :(

efp9teen78

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2016, 12:09:35 pm »

[/quote]

Vector artwork means that it won't lose quality, no matter at what size you need it.
As I said in my previous post, I can help you making the sidearts with vector artwork, but it won't be anytime soon, sadly - real life comes first :(
[/quote]

Yeah I totally understand that. Im in no rush Ive been slowly working on this bartop and a cocktail cab for past year or more lil here and a lil there. Thankfully the cocktail cab is all but done just gonna leave it art free may add some woodgrain vynil to the sides make it look more like a piecce of furnture cause it does kinda pulld double duty as my lil dinning table apartment living at its finest

efp9teen78

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2016, 12:12:37 pm »

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah I totally understand that. Im in no rush Ive been slowly working on this bartop and a cocktail cab for past year or more lil here and a lil there. Thankfully the cocktail cab is all but done just gonna leave it art free may add some woodgrain vynil to the sides make it look more like a piecce of furnture cause it does kinda pulld double duty as my lil dinning table apartment living at its finest

efp9teen78

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2016, 01:34:22 pm »
I know  I keep flip flopping but I think I have nailed down how I wanna do my cabs theme wise now just a matter of getting artwork together for them. Bartop is gonna go back to storm trooper theme. wanna try and come up with a x-wing vs tie fighter theme for the cocktail cab. And finally when I do my mini pin build its gonna be Kylo Ren themed seems fitting to me a Kylo Pin if you will.

With all that said my dilemma with the bartop is can i get the red background taken out of pic below then change the imperial cog to red  then leave background clear i have already put some blackwood grain on my side panels and would like to keep it visible in the background.

mahuti

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2022, 09:51:19 pm
  • I dare anything! I am Skeletor!
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2016, 02:28:58 pm »
One suggestion I would make generally as a designer:

Keep a little more breathing room between the heads and the edge. Any of the heads and any of the edges. When you put the edge and the subject right next to each other, it's called kissing. It creates a little bit of an issue visually as it creates a tension between the subject and the rest of the world, and it will make it tougher to cover any slight mistakes with the cabinet shape and application of the art. Either give it a little breathing room, or go ahead and push it over the edge just a bit.

I think generally, your last design is OK in this respect. But I noticed basically all of the initial designs were a little too tight. 

One other note:
I think you might want to add a little more detail to the gun, or greater contrast. Right now it doesn't read too well as a gun and just looks a little off. More contrast and a tiny bit more detail, or something like a small line around it to give it some separation from the storm trooper's head might help. This is a case where the hand being crammed right up on the edge is causing problems. It reads weird. Maybe pull the hand in a bit so that there's some breathing room there. Get rid of the gun's magazine (or whatever it is laying over the storm trooper's face).
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 02:33:12 pm by mahuti »
Raspberry Pi, AttractMode, and Skeletor enthusiast.

ivwshane

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 24, 2022, 09:35:21 pm
    • My first mame cab! (WIP)
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2016, 04:51:49 am »
I'm no designer but I'd move the storm trooper more to the left and lose the gun altogether. When I think of a storm trooper I picture their weapon in both hands at their waist. Your guy looks to metal gear like to me.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 04:58:06 am by ivwshane »

efp9teen78

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2016, 12:19:09 pm »
I'm no designer but I'd move the storm trooper more to the left and lose the gun altogether. When I think of a storm trooper I picture their weapon in both hands at their waist. Your guy looks to metal gear like to me.

Noted and would also help with comment aboves suggestions with fixing the gun.  I am working on a solution currently. nothing like doing 100 things at once lol

I did do some work on a marquee posted below it has been loosely inspired by the The Simpsons Arcade Marquee

mahuti

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2022, 09:51:19 pm
  • I dare anything! I am Skeletor!
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2016, 05:32:15 pm »
I'd bump up the logo a bit more. Scale up and to the the left. Keep some breathing room, but pull a bit more to the left to give better  balance.
Raspberry Pi, AttractMode, and Skeletor enthusiast.

efp9teen78

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2016, 08:29:52 pm »
Found another image I like and just strikes me as it was meant for a side panel. Now my dilemma is I cant seem to get it to scale right as I have it now it to open on bottom but if I scale it up I cant seem to get it to fit to my liking head off or gun get cut off etc.....

efp9teen78

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2016, 11:53:54 am »
I'd bump up the logo a bit more. Scale up and to the the left. Keep some breathing room, but pull a bit more to the left to give better  balance.

Did some adjustments on the marquee let me know if its going the right direction

Also did a quick mock up of another Control Panel not sure if I like it or not but maybe someone can give me yay or nay feed back

yamatetsu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:08:31 pm
  • Just because.
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2016, 02:21:17 am »
3D Stormtrooper in the marquee, 2D on the control panel = clash of styles.

Also, if you use dustwashers, the right one probably will block part of the gun.

efp9teen78

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2016, 12:44:43 pm »
3D Stormtrooper in the marquee, 2D on the control panel = clash of styles.

Also, if you use dustwashers, the right one probably will block part of the gun.

Couple more options which one do yall like more. I don't mind if the dust washer cover it a lil bit if you can still tell what the image is under it

I think i like this one more then option one

GSXRMovistar

• Offline Offline
    • CoffeeCade
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2016, 06:56:06 am »
Think you nailed it with this one personally:-

I'd recommend:
1) Reducing the size of the stormtrooper slightly to ensure sufficient gap between him and the edges of the cab (would also show a little more of his gun).
2) Do the CP in the same red with a minimal amount of artwork on it, just a few black lines for detail (possibly outlining the controls in some way)
3) All black controls/buttons
4) Front section of the CP add the start/credit buttons and possibly integrate the imperial logo somehow

Then with those mocked up I think the marquee will come easy.

efp9teen78

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2016, 01:23:38 pm »
Think you nailed it with this one personally:-

I'd recommend:
1) Reducing the size of the stormtrooper slightly to ensure sufficient gap between him and the edges of the cab (would also show a little more of his gun).
2) Do the CP in the same red with a minimal amount of artwork on it, just a few black lines for detail (possibly outlining the controls in some way)
3) All black controls/buttons
4) Front section of the CP add the start/credit buttons and possibly integrate the imperial logo somehow

Then with those mocked up I think the marquee will come easy.

Here is what I came up with cant move it down any farther top of gun disappears past that hope the scale didn't make him to skinny

I will start doing a mock up for a control panel now

gomeq

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2016, 02:58:13 pm »
Really like the side panel. As someone mentioned earlier. The vector style on the side panel conflicts with the style in de marquee and control panel.

I suggest you change the stormtrooper in the marque to a vectorized version with less details.

Also keep the design elements in the control panel to a minimum. Especially when you go for red buttons or led buttons

« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 03:04:26 pm by gomeq »

efp9teen78

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2016, 03:09:12 pm »
Heres a couple side panels i did Friday be4 work i never posted

yamatetsu

• Offline Offline
  • Just because.
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2016, 06:10:06 pm »
I have googled 'deviantart' and 'imperial logo' and found a cool one. This would be my take on the CP :

The trooper needs to be integrated a bit better, but I like the look. Even if you don't like it, my suggestion would be to take your CP version #2 and put the logo in the middle and the trooper in it so that he isn't just floating around.

GSXRMovistar

• Offline Offline
    • CoffeeCade
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2016, 05:15:33 am »
Still keen on the vector look however I like that CP and as commented the trooper needs to be integrated a little better, maybe something like this so it appears he is stood within the logo:-

I'd then take this version of side art:-

* Swap out the trooper with the one used on the CP, assuming it's of a high enough resolution
* Change the background and logo colour to a suitable grey/black/white combo
* Slap on some white t-molding

8)

Bambam1963

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 09, 2024, 11:46:07 pm
  • I love this stuff man!-
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2016, 08:18:26 am »
Been doing this all with photoshop mix on my phone so may not be the best. But if anybody wants to take my starting point and take it to the finish line I'd appreciate it
You have just inspired me to build two bartop retropi systems for my two boys.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
I am an oldie, who used to troll here years ago.  Now I am back to tweak my machine and help a friend build his.

Bambam1963

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 09, 2024, 11:46:07 pm
  • I love this stuff man!-
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2016, 08:19:35 am »
Still keen on the vector look however I like that CP and as commented the trooper needs to be integrated a little better, maybe something like this so it appears he is stood within the logo:-

* Swap out the trooper with the one used on the CP, assuming it's of a high enough resolution

8)

I love the animated look

I am an oldie, who used to troll here years ago.  Now I am back to tweak my machine and help a friend build his.

efp9teen78

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2016, 10:46:07 am »
You have just inspired me to build two bartop retropi systems for my two boys.

Im glad I could inspire another build or two Id like to see your projects finished

efp9teen78

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2016, 10:52:43 am »

8)

I dont think the CP Trooper is gonna be a high enough resolution and Id like to keep it more red then black. I have black t molding already so it may be easier to change the background of the cp to red. I will keep playing around with it some prolly wont be able to get it printed till early next funds seem to be squeezed extra tight this time of year

efp9teen78

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2017, 02:00:21 pm »
Been messing around with the marquee someday Ill get this finalized guess better to go at it low and be happy in the end right. as always give me constructive critiqes and Ill try and use them I have been playing with sides too but no where near ready to share my progress on those

Option One

Option Two

Option Three

And lastly number Four

efp9teen78

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2017, 10:09:49 am »
I have done a whole set let me know of any changes that could or should be made. I really like where it is heading now just have to make sure no tweaks need to be made. Control Panel is my biggest concern it just seems to be lacking something just not sure what. As always helpful criticism is welcome sometimes having new eyes look upon it brings new ideas.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2017, 02:49:52 pm »
Personally I'd make the Stormtrooper title bigger, and fill up the blank areas of the marquee more.
Overall I feel the marquee and CP is a bit plain , and could use something to spruce it up.
For the CP I'd experiment with a pattern under the control halos. Perhaps thin grid lines going out into perspective? You could try grid, hex, octi...

For the Marquee have you thought about adding a shadow line to the title? Perhaps in the same gray that's on the sides. A hard shadow line, not a blurred one. Something to help it pop more.

What about adding a starfeild to both the marquee and CP?

efp9teen78

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2017, 11:29:26 pm »
Personally I'd make the Stormtrooper title bigger, and fill up the blank areas of the marquee more.
Overall I feel the marquee and CP is a bit plain , and could use something to spruce it up.
For the CP I'd experiment with a pattern under the control halos. Perhaps thin grid lines going out into perspective? You could try grid, hex, octi...

For the Marquee have you thought about adding a shadow line to the title? Perhaps in the same gray that's on the sides. A hard shadow line, not a blurred one. Something to help it pop more.

What about adding a starfeild to both the marquee and CP?

Good Ideas I definitely think the C.P. is to plain and Ill give your ideas a go not sure how I will pull off the grid idea but the others I think I can tackle Thanks for the feedback good sir

efp9teen78

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2017, 11:38:10 am »
Quick and sloppy color change with marquee better or worse? If its going the right direction Ill clean up some of the edges. The drop shadow definitely helps the title

yamatetsu

• Offline Offline
  • Just because.
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2017, 02:46:21 pm »
Worse. Since the dominant color will be black, adding a mostly white & grey marquee is not a good idea. Also take into account that the bezel will probably black, too.

Which one of these parts does not fit?

efp9teen78

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2017, 02:19:44 am »
Worse. Since the dominant color will be black, adding a mostly white & grey marquee is not a good idea. Also take into account that the bezel will probably black, too.

Which one of these parts does not fit?

Noted and makes tons of sense. I played around a little tonight after work and got this I am not sure may be a tad to busy now especially for a marquee and not sure how well it reads as a whole

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:58:57 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2017, 09:37:14 am »
Troopers look squished.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

yamatetsu

• Offline Offline
  • Just because.
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2017, 10:43:14 am »
They are under immense pressure.

efp9teen78

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2017, 11:29:51 am »
Here is another one using a different image of Troopers not sure if the style will clash with sides but they seem to fit in the allotted space of the marquee better lol