Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Gorf upright with cocktail screen flip  (Read 2963 times)

whimsicalwill

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 01, 2016, 04:41:35 pm
Gorf upright with cocktail screen flip
« on: September 01, 2016, 02:41:56 am »
I installed a working boardset to get my vintage Gorf upright up and running again.  Player 2, however, flips the screen like the cocktail version.  I've studied the documentation and do not see a dip switch that controls this.  Is the screen flip controlled by a chip?
I appreciate any assistance you can offer.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:01:47 am
  • Designated spam hunter
Re: Gorf upright with cocktail screen flip
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 03:48:12 am »
I installed a working boardset to get my vintage Gorf upright up and running again.  Player 2, however, flips the screen like the cocktail version.  I've studied the documentation and do not see a dip switch that controls this.  Is the screen flip controlled by a chip?
Welcome aboard, Whimsicalwill.   ;D

The last page of the manual here indicates that there is a jumper (JU1) on the Game Board that switches beween cocktail (in) and upright. (out)

You can find the jumper schematic on pg 66 of the PDF, right side, half-way down the page, to the left and just below the dipswitches.

On the board, JU1 is located on the right side center, just below the dipswitches in this photo.

Scott

whimsicalwill

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 01, 2016, 04:41:35 pm
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 11:59:42 am »
Found it!  Thanks so much for the prompt and thorough reply.

Can the JU1 jumper be "removed" by simply snipping the wire, or is it a soldering job?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 04:09:20 pm by whimsicalwill »

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:01:47 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 10:59:52 pm »
Can the JU1 jumper be "removed" by simply snipping the wire, or is it a soldering job?
Your board, your call.

Personally, I would desolder just one side and bend that leg it so it doesn't complete the circuit.

That would make it easy to reconnect the jumper later if needed.

* Bonus points for insulating the loose end with electrical tape.
   Double bonus for including "buddy tabs" for easy removal. (folding the ends of the tape for use as grips)

Scott

behrmr

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2021, 09:17:13 am
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2016, 11:36:34 pm »
Just cut a chunk out of it or remove the entire jumper by desoldering it.  It can easily be restored by replacing the jumper with another wire or leg from a cap from your last (or next cap job) or by simply soldering a blob of solder across the gap.

Spyridon

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 30, 2021, 02:47:05 pm
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2016, 01:59:53 pm »
Yes, just clip it with wire cutters and you are good to go.  No need to desolder anything.
My current collection:  Arkanoid^3, Asteroids Deluxe, Centipede, Donkey Kong w/DIIK, Frenzy w/Berzerk multi, Galaga, Galaxian, Gyruss, Mappy,  Missile Command, Multi-Williams, O'Boyles Arcade (Mame), Pac-man,  Sinistar, Star Wars, Tempest, War Gods