Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Upright Cabinet Project HYPERSPACE Codename (Overdue) ,Complete!  (Read 27039 times)

reptileink

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 28, 2023, 11:30:55 am
  • An 8 bit hero
I say keep them clear.....looks sharp as it is. Black is plain....

~Building Arcade Cabinets are like raising children, you always mess up your first~

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:59:15 am
  • Flipping out
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137295.0.html
Try it as it is. See if you like it.

You can always order a couple of black plungers later without having to rewire everything  :)

rablack97

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2022, 06:50:10 pm
  • If you don't try, you have no chance at innovation
Re: Upright Cabinet Project HYPERSPACE Codename (Overdue) ,7/15 CP Sneak Peek!
« Reply #82 on: September 01, 2017, 08:49:07 am »
the trackball will blind your players, fire the leds from the sides. and your gonna have this nice kaleidoscope on your ceiling.

for the buttons, you could always just use black casing with the clear center plunger, or vices versa clear casing with black plunger so you get the clear ring effect.

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2023, 02:13:35 pm
  • Plenty of skills.. gaining experience..
« Reply #83 on: September 01, 2017, 04:40:09 pm »
Very Nice build!

I'm 'borrowing' some ideas for my cabinet.
Looking forward to the final reveal.
thx
My Arcade Cabinet Build and other projects here:
Centipede, Joust, Joust Cocktail, Asteroids, Galaga, Ms. Pacman Cabaret, Defender, Space Invaders Cocktail
https://bperkins.wordpress.com/

Vincefaro

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 09, 2023, 04:52:36 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #84 on: September 11, 2017, 12:43:56 pm »
       Some wiring pictures , I am almost done . I am having trouble with my LEDs not working with my iPac ultimate . I need to figure it out .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ivwshane

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 24, 2022, 09:35:21 pm
    • My first mame cab! (WIP)
« Reply #85 on: September 13, 2017, 11:14:21 pm »
Nice progress!! Can we get back to that LCD marquee please!!! Give us the details about it and where you got it. Lets see some live action pics!!

Vincefaro

• Offline Offline
Upright Cabinet Project HYPERSPACE Codename (Overdue) ,7/15 CP Sneak Peek!
« Reply #86 on: September 17, 2017, 11:54:02 pm »
I had a bad day working on the machine . I found the time to spend almost a full day on the project . I put the machine together adding the monitor , putting the control label on and start to wire all of the items .

Problems

1. Wiring  the power switch .  I can't get this thing to work it keeps giving me an error .  More on this later ...

2 . My IPac ultimate is not lighting up my buttons . I have power 5v connected and I have my leds  that I made from Paradise Arcade RGB LEDs and they are not lighting .

3 . No desktop .  Im trying to adjust , all my settings but I removed my desktop to early and now it's just a pain in the a** to fix any settings .

4 .  The 2nd monitor causes havoc .
The LCD marquee looks cool but it seems like it's a prototype and not ready for production , every time I'm running Hyperspace selecting games it seems that the cursor pops to the second monitor and then I can't select a game or anything . I have to cntrl/ tab to get back to the the CRT . It happens a lot . My Groovymame settings are not right for the two monitors either . I am hearing audio delays , and a few games don't play right .

It was a frustrating day , I guess I thought once I had everything in my possession , I would just put it all together and it would work . I felt like throwing the towel In today .
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 11:35:28 am by Vincefaro »

scooterg

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 08, 2018, 12:58:16 am
« Reply #87 on: September 23, 2017, 11:11:47 am »
Hey Vince, I have my 2nd monitor working with EDS, if I can help let me know.  One question would be are you using Rocketlauncher?  If not I would highly recommend looking into it as it was designed to run with Hyperspin and pretty much any emulator.  I don't have much experience with Groovymame, but it may be responsible for some of your problems, not sure.  In my setup it's just plain Hyperspin, Rocketlauncher configured with standard Mame and EDS with Hypermarquee and it's running great.

Vincefaro

• Offline Offline
Upright Cabinet Project HYPERSPACE Codename (Overdue) ,10/11 Almost Done!
« Reply #88 on: October 11, 2017, 11:41:25 am »
After thoughts of a creating a dumpster fire with this machine I had a moment of clarity . My computer for the machine went down and I was losing it , i could not figure out what the problem was , so I took my drives to work and they were fine . I was still getting power to the computer but it was  not booting up . I went out and got another used computer like the one I had and swapped the ram and hard drives and everything worked for a day and then down again . This is when I was ready to give up . I figured it was the video card that failed . I took it out and everything worked fine , so I ordered a new video card , now I have two working computers , oh well it was only 100.00 bucks . I also realized that my wires that power the IPac ultimate needed to be swapped and we now have light!

I made some adjustments to my Joy2key settings, the joystick when selecting games was too sensitive .

I just need to get some of the wiring setup like the trackball , power button , and volume control and I will be finished .
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 11:45:52 am by Vincefaro »

Scotty_C

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 02:54:51 pm
  • The addiction is strong!!
Re: Upright Cabinet Project HYPERSPACE Codename (Overdue) ,10/11 Almost Done!
« Reply #89 on: October 13, 2017, 06:19:56 pm »
awesome! home stretch now.

Vincefaro

• Offline Offline
Upright Cabinet Project HYPERSPACE Codename (Overdue) ,10/11 Almost Done!
« Reply #90 on: November 03, 2017, 11:53:30 am »
Almost complete. I just need to sort out the power strip /power button situation , and volume knob on the front of the control panel and then I need to figure out how to program LEDBlinky and this thing is done.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 10:18:01 pm by Vincefaro »

wp34

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #91 on: November 03, 2017, 12:20:21 pm »
That looks really sharp!

Vincefaro

• Offline Offline
« Reply #92 on: November 03, 2017, 04:05:39 pm »
Thank you , I am almost to the end. Well, I really with never be finished , Right?

Vincefaro

• Offline Offline
« Reply #93 on: November 22, 2017, 01:58:07 pm »
Some Random CP Pics.

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #94 on: November 22, 2017, 02:09:27 pm »
That looks great.  It almost looks like your CP is lit up on the edges.  I like the look.  Is that just light escaping from the plexi or did you do something specific for that effect?

Vincefaro

• Offline Offline
« Reply #95 on: November 22, 2017, 02:12:25 pm »
Yeah its light escaping, I thought I was going to put T-molding on the edge, but this actually ending up looking kind of cool. However, I did cut for T-molding so , I may still do it. Thanks though, I am still trying to figure out LEDBlinky .

ivwshane

• Offline Offline
« Reply #96 on: November 23, 2017, 12:58:02 am »
Can we get some info on the marque LCD please?

Vincefaro

• Offline Offline
« Reply #97 on: November 23, 2017, 01:34:02 am »
The Marquee is running EDS running HyperMarquee, and HS as the frontend. The Marquee is a custom LCD I bought direct from China. They cutdown a 28 Inch LCD to make a 26 . Pretty cool.

ivwshane

• Offline Offline
« Reply #98 on: November 23, 2017, 05:34:57 am »
Thanks. What was the cost?

Vincefaro

• Offline Offline
« Reply #99 on: November 23, 2017, 11:09:34 am »
600 shipped

Vincefaro

• Offline Offline
Re: Upright Cabinet Project HYPERSPACE Codename (Overdue) ,Complete!
« Reply #100 on: July 29, 2019, 04:37:41 pm »
I just wanted finally show the end pics of the machine . I have since replaced my NOS D9800 tube with an old working tube since my D9800 tube crapped out. What a sad day that was. I still miss the beautiful Blacks that tube would give me . Well at least I have a working monitor with no burn in , but not as great as my other tube. Here are some pics I took of the completed machine . I still have issues with focus with Hyperspin, and my joystick goes in and out controlling HS. But generally it works well. I know it has been a long time but I wanted to call this project Finished!

« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 11:40:52 am by Vincefaro »

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #101 on: July 29, 2019, 04:57:35 pm »
That turned out great!   I was thinking a few weeks ago that you had never finished this.  Our builds are similar except of course yours is done.   ;D

Too bad about your monitor but I'm glad you got that fixed.  Have you had fun playing it?

Vincefaro

• Offline Offline
« Reply #102 on: July 29, 2019, 05:10:37 pm »
That turned out great!   I was thinking a few weeks ago that you had never finished this.  Our builds are similar except of course yours is done.   ;D

Too bad about your monitor but I'm glad you got that fixed.  Have you had fun playing it?

I am absolutely having fun playing it. My 9 year old son and his friends love to play it.  Since I have it in the garage, neighbors walk by when the garage is open and always ohh and ahhh at it .  I hope the monitor lasts for a at least a few years. I would hate to put in an LCD , but I won't look for another CRT , Im done with them.  I might be ready to do another machine soon, maybe a dedicated driving machine. 

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #103 on: July 29, 2019, 05:55:02 pm »

I am absolutely having fun playing it. My 9 year old son and his friends love to play it.  Since I have it in the garage, neighbors walk by when the garage is open and always ohh and ahhh at it .  I hope the monitor lasts for a at least a few years. I would hate to put in an LCD , but I won't look for another CRT , Im done with them.  I might be ready to do another machine soon, maybe a dedicated driving machine.

Excellent!  Glad you are enjoying it.   :cheers:

I hear ya on the CRT.  I've got a spare D9800 I've been keeping around just in case.  It is a PITA to store though so I'm thinking of selling it just to get the space back. 

Vincefaro

• Offline Offline
« Reply #104 on: July 29, 2019, 06:18:28 pm »
Post Mortem : 

1.   The spinner buttons are to close together , they should be further apart. 
2.   This cabinet is heavy, using wood with a CRT and a LCD , this thing is a pain to move.
2a. Paint , I would not paint the sides, No no No . I would do the vinyl. It would be so much easier.
3.   The LCD marquee is awesome , i had to put it in this machine , but it causes some problems with focus that I do believe is related to having the second monitor.
4.   Hyperspin: Oh how I love/hate Hyperspin.  joystick focus issues, is it because of the the second monitor? maybe not.   
5.    Volume Control.  I never got this installed on the outside of the machine . I wanted a volume knob , well I use two buttons on the CP to control volume when the Jukebox is running or  I open up the coin mech and
        the Master Volume is sitting right there so I just turn it up or down. 

That is all I kind think of right now. Otherwise this machine is just Great!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 08:57:44 pm by Vincefaro »

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #105 on: July 29, 2019, 06:42:25 pm »
Super job! - I sooooo want an LCD marquee...   I haven't found the right sized one (but I'm still looking..) 

Very very cool
Centipede, Joust, Joust Cocktail, Asteroids, Galaga, Ms. Pacman Cabaret, Defender, Space Invaders Cocktail

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #106 on: July 29, 2019, 08:08:09 pm »
Looks good, congrats on completing this.  :applaud:

If I were you, I would probably find a solution for holding down your internals. It'll make moving the cabinet around a bit easier if things like the PC, Woofer, and volume control is all battened down.

I hear you on the weight.  And thank you for mentioning that.  I've been trying to explain the weight factor in another member's project thread here, someone doing a pretty overkill 2x4 framing before even adding the cut panels, but it seems like they're going to learn the hard way. 

You didn't put in that overkill framing, and opted for a regular assembly, which I commend you on. Even then, the weight is pretty hefty with the monitors and gear in it, so I'm happy to see you didn't do overkill too much on the wood.  I mean, you got a bunch of support braces, and I guess the additional keyboard shelf would add even more weight, but at least you didn't frame it like you're building a house.  :lol   :cheers:

Vincefaro

• Offline Offline
« Reply #107 on: July 29, 2019, 08:48:18 pm »
Looks good, congrats on completing this.  :applaud:

If I were you, I would probably find a solution for holding down your internals. It'll make moving the cabinet around a bit easier if things like the PC, Woofer, and volume control is all battened down.

I hear you on the weight.  And thank you for mentioning that.  I've been trying to explain the weight factor in another member's project thread here, someone doing a pretty overkill 2x4 framing before even adding the cut panels, but it seems like they're going to learn the hard way. 

You didn't put in that overkill framing, and opted for a regular assembly, which I commend you on. Even then, the weight is pretty hefty with the monitors and gear in it, so I'm happy to see you didn't do overkill too much on the wood.  I mean, you got a bunch of support braces, and I guess the additional keyboard shelf would add even more weight, but at least you didn't frame it like you're building a house.  :lol   :cheers:

Yes, I was going to secure the computer, subwoofer, and power supply , but I have been constantly tweaking the machine and I did not want to "Lock" it down until I was finished.  Well I'm pretty much finished now , so I guess its time to secure the inside . Also , I added a new thing that I would change . I would not paint the sides like i did , coat after coat , sanding , no no no , vinyl for sure. .Thanks
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 08:58:55 pm by Vincefaro »

Vincefaro

• Offline Offline
« Reply #108 on: July 29, 2019, 08:54:21 pm »
Super job! - I sooooo want an LCD marquee...   I haven't found the right sized one (but I'm still looking..) 

Very very cool

Thanks so much. What size are you looking for?

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #109 on: July 29, 2019, 08:59:14 pm »
My cabinet has room 31" (inside to inside) and I can make 7" vertical work with a little fussing about (trimming panels, etc..)  which I made removable in the event I decided to get an LCD.
Love the changing of the screens with the games.. etc..

Which would make me want to design some crazy CP with backlighting and all the cool stuff you guys have done.

Vincefaro

• Offline Offline
« Reply #110 on: July 29, 2019, 09:01:09 pm »

Excellent!  Glad you are enjoying it.   :cheers:

I hear ya on the CRT.  I've got a spare D9800 I've been keeping around just in case.  It is a PITA to store though so I'm thinking of selling it just to get the space back.

If you ever decide to sell it , Please think of me .

gingecko

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2022, 04:11:37 pm
  • I'm working on it!
« Reply #111 on: July 31, 2019, 01:53:47 pm »
Looks pretty amazing. Love how the trackball looks like it's freaking plasma. Where did you get that?

Also really love that clean marquee retainer, I'm guessing that came with the LCD.

Such a sweet machine.

Vincefaro

• Offline Offline
« Reply #112 on: July 31, 2019, 06:47:18 pm »
Looks pretty amazing. Love how the trackball looks like it's freaking plasma. Where did you get that?

Also really love that clean marquee retainer, I'm guessing that came with the LCD.

Such a sweet machine.
Thanks. The trackball came from here. I had to diffuse the light coming up from the led . Otherwise, it would blind the players.Not good. I think I used some cheesecloth to diffuse it.
https://www.homeofpoi.com/

its a juggling ball ha ha.

Yeah the border on the LCD did come with the monitor. 

gingecko

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2022, 04:11:37 pm
  • I'm working on it!
« Reply #113 on: August 01, 2019, 11:01:46 am »
Juggling ball and cheesecloth, huh?! There has to be a joke in there somewhere!

Is that the Over/Under mini door system from Twisted Quarter?
http://www.twistedquarter.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=171_380&products_id=1716

I'd love to know the dimensions. My coin/cashbox are separate, and I might end up replacing it with one unit like that. Looks a lot cleaner that way.

Vincefaro

• Offline Offline
« Reply #114 on: August 01, 2019, 01:05:58 pm »
Juggling ball and cheesecloth, huh?! There has to be a joke in there somewhere!

Is that the Over/Under mini door system from Twisted Quarter?
http://www.twistedquarter.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=171_380&products_id=1716

I'd love to know the dimensions. My coin/cashbox are separate, and I might end up replacing it with one unit like that. Looks a lot cleaner that way.
Ha ha I knew it as soon as
I typed it , that was going to be a funny item .

That is the coin door I have . I will get you the dimensions .