Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Why race when we can OUTRUN!  (Read 8481 times)

Ian

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2021, 01:50:35 am
  • "A day without Laughter is a day wasted"
Why race when we can OUTRUN!
« on: July 29, 2017, 01:59:36 am »
Well I drove the 8 hour drive (according to my GPS), but it was more like 10.  :badmood: I visited the Illinois legend Troy Smith... Picked up 2 Outruns. (one for parts). One is fully working but it's a ---smurfette--- of a cosmetic restore... Looking forward getting my hands on these.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 11:02:39 pm by Ian »
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

Ian

• Offline Offline
Re: Why race when we can OUTRUN!
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2017, 09:44:11 am »

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

Ian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2017, 09:46:59 am »
The goal here is to fully restore one cab and the other (100% dependent on if the board is working and if I can get a good monitor) will be a restore as well. If not I will part it out to other outrun restorers since these cabs have a lot of parts that are not replicated right now.

Ian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 10:21:49 pm »
I have to lighten this beast before going into my dungeon. So off goes the steering wheel! Looks like I have quite a bit of cleaning to do. These things are gross. Cab 1 is greasy everywhere... cab 2 is pretty clean.

Cab 1 Grease cab!

Cab 2 Not so bad... lol

Ian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2017, 10:24:03 pm »
On a side note... I panicked last night and sent Delusional a PM regarding my complete confusion over converting a Turbo Outrun to a regular Outrun (He has done this before I think). Anyway I think I scared him.... my bad Del!

Anyone want to take a stab at converting my board back to an Original Outrun? Just throwing it out there! lol

Ian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017, 10:51:00 pm »
It looks like the Turbo to Original outrun is crazy.... thanks for clearing that up Del.  :dizzy:

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2023, 11:39:06 pm
  • Build the impossible -"There is no Spoon"
    • DeLuSioNaL's YouTube Videos
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2017, 11:17:19 pm »
It looks like the Turbo to Original outrun is crazy.... thanks for clearing that up Del.  :dizzy:
Maybe not crazy, but a little more work than everyone says.  It's not just a simple burn and swap since there are no 1mb 28 pin EPROM chips out there.

I wrote up a topic here on KLOV (still a WIP):
https://forums.arcade-museum.com/showpost.php?p=3546664&postcount=5

Here's why the simple swap of EPROMS will not work: 
https://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=399521

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.  I posted an Outrun pickup video recently and I can always add a follow up if needed.

DeL
Stop by my Youtube channel and leave a comment:

Ian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2017, 11:32:54 pm »
Love the video.... I feel like this past year we have been on the same Arcade journey... first Galaxian now two Outruns! Pretty cool. Any and all videos regarding Outrun I will watch!

Ian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2017, 09:21:04 pm »
Not a terribly exciting clean up... but it is done. I just scrubbed, wire brushed, rewired a marquee light, scrubbed, and scrubbed. Here are some after pictures... Just need to find an original Outrun Board. Turbo Outrun kind of sucks.

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2017, 04:27:20 pm »
Looks nice. It's in better shape than mine.

Ian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2017, 04:52:24 pm »
I still need to desuicide the board... and get myself an original Outrun... but it came together great. Replaced the springs and wire brushed the pedals... it was a piece of cake.

Ian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2017, 04:52:52 pm »
but thank you... you seem to be the only one interested... lol

:D

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:21:02 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2017, 11:06:50 am »
Looks good in the lineup. I was on vacation and I missed this thread.

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2017, 11:17:49 am »
Let me know what you find out about removing that 1094 battery CPU from the Turbo Outrun.  I've resurrected my Sega Thunder Blade which has the same CPU.  I'm curious to see what needs to be done for the Turbo Outrun.  (Please don't post links to roms though).

DeL

Ian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2017, 06:57:14 pm »
Let me know what you find out about removing that 1094 battery CPU from the Turbo Outrun.  I've resurrected my Sega Thunder Blade which has the same CPU.  I'm curious to see what needs to be done for the Turbo Outrun.  (Please don't post links to roms though).

DeL

Yeah I went through http://www.segaresurrection.com/... the guy there was super helpful and got all the parts for me and I will let you know how it goes!

Ian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2017, 06:58:12 pm »
Looks good in the lineup. I was on vacation and I missed this thread.

Ha ha ha ha... I couldn't eat for 3 days because I was so upset you didn't comment.... :) jk.

Hope you had a great vacation man!  :cheers:

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2017, 08:39:30 pm »
but thank you... you seem to be the only one interested... lol

I didn't want you to think nobody cared. ;)

mourix

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:39:15 pm
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2017, 04:04:44 pm »
Holidays keep us busy, but your cab came out well. Digging the room too :cheers:

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2017, 03:35:06 am »
Thanks for bringing back memories of a much younger me.  My first job after leaving school was working for an  arcade machine supplier of the time (1989-91) and my first job was installing Turbo outrun control panels and all the stickers :)  But yeah Turbo outrun Sucks :)

Ian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2017, 01:26:51 pm »
Thanks for bringing back memories of a much younger me.  My first job after leaving school was working for an  arcade machine supplier of the time (1989-91) and my first job was installing Turbo outrun control panels and all the stickers :)  But yeah Turbo outrun Sucks :)

It does suck! I really don't have fun playing it at all.... Next Thursday I am supposedly picking up a working Outrun Board. This guy has been pretty flaky... so fingers crossed!

Ian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2017, 03:35:44 pm »
Well... Last Thursday was an important night for my Outrun Project. I posted a WTB over at Klov for a working Outrun board and after a few weeks I nearly lost hope. Then bam! A guy had a working board he was willing to sell. And as luck would have it, he lived less than 30 minutes from my house! Went over there checked out his collection (He had a SpyHunter, Star Wars upright, Cabaret Centipede and Outrun, 4 of the shorter pinball machines that Williams put out, Pole Position cockpit, and a (I believe) a Sea Rider with the Periscope! Very cool. He also had a few projects but overall I was impressed!

Anyway put the final touches on the Outrun. Ripped off the Turbo sticker on the side art that covered the Sega Logo, Replaced the Map artwork on the dashboard, shined up the Steering Wheel and Stick shift knob. Put in the textured black t-molding, and of course put in the Outrun PCB.

Oh, and the PCB had an added bonus. It had the highscore save kit, MPH, Attract mode, song select (with the music), and freeplay upgrade! Not bad!

Ian

I did buy an Outrun marquee off of Ebay. But once it was back lit, it was completely washed out! Total bummer.

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2017, 12:52:13 am »
Do you perhaps have any control panel bolts left over from the parts machine? Mine doesn't have them all.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

Ian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2017, 02:35:01 am »
Do you perhaps have any control panel bolts left over from the parts machine? Mine doesn't have them all.

Sorry Paige, sold the parts machine... however they too were missing the bolts. Had to match them up at the local hardware store.

matsadona

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 28, 2023, 06:00:12 am
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2017, 03:29:55 am »
Hm... putting Turbo Outrun in an original Outrun cabinet without the boost/turbo button. Doesn't that limit the game play quite a lot?  ::)
Building, collecting and playing arcade machines :)

Ian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2017, 10:02:19 am »
Hm... putting Turbo Outrun in an original Outrun cabinet without the boost/turbo button. Doesn't that limit the game play quite a lot?  ::)

Arcade operators where given two options for the turbo button. They shipped a different shifter that came equipped with a button. Like this one...

But lots of Arcades for whatever reason decided that just wiring the Start Button to be the Turbo would be easier. My Turbo button was the start button. Sega came out with stickers to show players this...

Ian

• Offline Offline
Re: Why race when we can OUTRUN! ***New Issue Need Help****
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2017, 04:41:57 pm »
I get a nice refurbed monitor (the old one had terrible terrible screen burn) a Wells Gardener 7200 and plugged her in. And she is beautiful! I play it for 4-5 days and am loving it. Well I had company and left the machine on for like 6 hours and when I came back I found that the picture was a bit glitchy. The blue sky was gray and the water was gray. So I unplug everything check my voltages and found that my power supply  5 volt is giving off like 5-6 volts and the adjustment knob is doing nothing. So I have replaced the powersupply voltages are now a solid 5v. I also noticed that the second fuse down was blown. So I replaced the fuse and powered the game on again and the sky is nice and blue but the road is half brownish gray and the other half is blended into the background.

Game plays fine.. but the road is really bothering me. Also I would like to point out that the boards have been reseated together (A and B boards), and the chips themselves have not been touched since they are newer chips (the board was fresh off of a repair).

I am lost.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2017, 04:48:59 pm »
Attack the symptoms. Why did the fuse blow? That would be my first question. I can't view the video until I go home, so if that is already answered in the video you can disregard that advice.

Ian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2017, 04:54:37 pm »
Attack the symptoms. Why did the fuse blow? That would be my first question. I can't view the video until I go home, so if that is already answered in the video you can disregard that advice.

wrong fuse... it was a quick burn fuse. This fuse is for the fan motor, the florescent light and the monitor power. I assume the monitor spiked when booted up which caused the quick burn to pop. I put in the correct fuse and it seems to be running fine.

Ian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2017, 05:05:20 pm »
https://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=151041.0

I found this topic... I had the same wrong fuse in mine in the same damn spot. Interesting. I did replace it with the one PL1 suggested.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2017, 05:09:34 pm »
Did you try waving a Pi in front of the monitor in a counter clockwise direction? There is an incantation that goes with that, but I can't remember it. I will consult my copy of the Necronomicon when I get home. klaatu something something. That fixes most problems.

Ian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2017, 05:20:36 pm »
Did you try waving a Pi in front of the monitor in a counter clockwise direction? There is an incantation that goes with that, but I can't remember it. I will consult my copy of the Necronomicon when I get home. klaatu something something. That fixes most problems.

I jammed 3 Pi's in this thing... One in the coin slot... one into the iso transformer and one in the florescent light fixture. So far the game boots up, and tells me how great rasberry pi's are and how they can do everything, and then it just starts to smoke and smell bad. I don't get it.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2017, 05:21:57 pm »
It sounds like you are doing everything right. :dunno

05SRT4

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:31:35 pm