Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: playing video from Pi to analogue TV  (Read 2886 times)

shrunkenmaster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 24, 2022, 10:17:33 am
playing video from Pi to analogue TV
« on: July 19, 2016, 06:53:50 am »
New to all this Pi stuff and looking for some guidance. I have an analogue CRT TV with just a coax/aerial socket and want to play video files on it.

Could someone advise me on which model Pi is the most suitable? I know I'll require some kind of adaptor, but it seems that different models have varying outputs. Looking for the route with the least fuss.

Also, can you get the Pi to boot straight into a video player such as VLC (or similar), so that the video will play on power up?

Video quality is not an issue, as I'll be playing 4:3 aspect low def files.

ballboff

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 20, 2020, 04:27:54 am
Re: playing video from Pi to analogue TV
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2016, 03:28:04 am »
I'm not an expert in pi, but I do believe this is all achievable.  Firstly, your sound and video outputs shouldn't be a problem.  With the earlier pi boards you got a yellow rca video connector.  I'm certain that if your CRT TV has a scart on it, you can get a connector that goes from 3 rca plugs to scart.  You would then just need a wire that has 2 rca (red and white) to 2.5mm jack (which plugs straight into your pi). 

As for booting straight to the video player, someone else might want to chip in here.  But I'm sure there is a file on the pi called local.rc which allows you to set things like this up.  On my build I know for sure I have this file, and I've heard of people setting values in this file so that on retropie instead of booting to the menu, you can set it to boot into 1 specific game.

shrunkenmaster

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016, 09:13:53 am »
Thanks for that ballboff. Don't have a SCART socket unfortunately, but  I can get an rca/composite to rf converter.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2024, 09:10:09 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2016, 11:49:33 am »
Thanks for that ballboff. Don't have a SCART socket unfortunately, but  I can get an rca/composite to rf converter.

You will need one of those RF modulators.
since you are playing SD videos, OMX player uses hardware acceleration on all the pi models.
Except for MPEG2.
But even an RPI 1 should be able to handle SD mpeg2 in software no problem.

matsadona

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 28, 2023, 06:00:12 am
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2016, 07:22:39 am »
There are solutions like this: http://www.timschwartz.org/raspberry-pi-video-looper/

Or if you want to change content on the fly (from a remote connection) this is a good alternative: https://www.screenly.io/ose/

I'm using both alternatives for an exhibition with  +10 RPi's, and the old models are good enough to play HD content.
Building, collecting and playing arcade machines :)

shrunkenmaster

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2016, 10:00:00 am »
Thanks dude. I wired up a jack to the composite connector on the Pi, then through an RF modulator. Ended up using this looper:

https://learn.adafruit.com/raspberry-pi-video-looper/overview

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:27:54 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2016, 11:01:38 am »
"Again unless you absolutely can't avoid it, do not abruptly remove power from the Raspberry Pi without cleanly shutting it down first!"

sigh.

matsadona

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 28, 2023, 06:00:12 am
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2016, 01:56:10 am »
I'm still waiting for my first SD-card crash, since I just unplug the power on a regular basis - and have been doing that for a long time.
However I do shutdown in a proper way if there is an option to do that (like in Retropie).
Building, collecting and playing arcade machines :)