Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: need guidance to figure circuit out for rotating monitor delay  (Read 9740 times)

lowlytech

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 07, 2019, 08:12:12 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Got my monitor rotating and working via a l298 with mrotate3, but the problem lies in the startup/shutdown of the PC and the LPT port.  I have attached the way I connected my limit switches and this kills the motor circuit when the limit switch is opened but still causes a brief rotation during boot and shutdown.  Now I have built the circuit #2 on the 555 timer attachment and it works great.  I have about a 35 second delay on boot before the relay closes the "enable drive" jumper pins on the l298 module to enable the motor.  The problem is I can't seem to figure out how to "reset" the 555 timer to turn back off via the PC soft power button.  The reset function of the 555 does work when I touch the line manually to ground so I know it is working but when I attach the reset line from the 555 circuit to the non grounded (pin 1) power switch line of the motherboard it still triggers the 555 timer to reset after 5 seconds or so without hitting the power switch.  I am thinking I just need a transistor or diode but am unsure how to connect it up as I have played around with what components I had for the entire evening and didn't get any closer to finding my answer.  The ground on the power button switch(call it pin 2) is the same shared ground on my 555 timer circuit so I was thinking that brief button push would cause the 555 to preform the reset task but it doesn't.  Any ideas how I could get the timer to reset to power off the motor for the shutdown process?

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
Re: need guidance to figure circuit out for rotating monitor delay
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 05:32:20 am »
Im heading to work so dont have a lot of time right now, may need more time to think on this, but you might try adding a diode in your PC switch circuit.
In your second pic, I would place it between the motherboard and where you connect your 555 reset. (Think current flow from ground to positive, block current flow from motherboard to 555 reset when power button is not pressed. Anode of the diode to motherboard.)
I can draw a pic of what I mean tonight, if you need it.

lowlytech

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 09:42:43 am »
Thanks DaOld Man for the input and I also appreciate all your hard  work on mrotate and the info here that has gotten me to this point.  What kind of diode do you think I should use? I did try what I had which was a 1n4007 and a selection of unmarked germanium diodes I had since I was a kid, but when I pressed the power button it didn't reset the 555 circuit.  Flipped it around and it keeps the 555 shorted to reset.   

Also about placement of the diode.  I have the motherboard pins connected to a long cable pair going to the power button at the top of the cab.  About midway down I spliced and for testing, alligator clipped a diode to the wire that goes to the 555 reset.  Do I need to actually break the connection to the power button/motherboard and cut the wire and place the diode "inline" instead of forking off the diode to the timer circuit?   

Thanks again for the advice.

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2016, 01:07:07 pm »
Thanks! Im glad you found my work useful.
I meant to place the diode in the line between the button and the MB.
Just about any diode should work, unless it's a special zener etc.

Here is your modified pic:

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2016, 01:12:45 pm »
If that don't work, you may want to try a DPST (dual switch). One part of the switch going to MB the other to your timer reset.
I addressed the issue of the LPT port outputs flashing during boot up.
I solved mine by placing a pnp transistor on one of the pins that always comes on when my PC booted. The PNP would kill the drive enable if it's LPT output was high.
It has to be an output that you are not using, and you need to test it during boot up to make sure it does come on when the PC boots.
Not sure why the ports are flashing when you shut your PC down. I have not seen that before.
I posted my work in one of the threads, I will try to find it tonight and post a link to it.

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2016, 06:14:13 pm »
Check out this thread:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,72750.40.html
On page two, there is a discussion about the problem you are having.
I used a pnp transistor to disable opto isolators that I used to isolate the drive from the printer port.
looking back, this was probably over kill.
Reference my post on page two dated November 15,2007 to see a diagram I posted.
You could just as easily use this transistor to disable your drive by attaching the transistor between the drive's enable pin and +5vdc.
If the LPT output is high, no current flows to the drive enable.
But if the output is low, the transistor turns on and puts +5vdc to the drives enable pin, allowing it to run.
The very first thing Mrotate does is set all the printer port outputs to low. So this worked pretty good for me.

lowlytech

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2016, 07:29:35 pm »
Thanks so much for the info, that totally fixed my issue.  The germanium diodes I had didn't work, but a 1n4007 diode inline like you showed works like a charm.  Not really sure why my lpt port goes high on shutdown, but a fraction of a second before shutdown my monitor would start to rotate, now with this diode it kills the 298 circuit on shutdown with the power button press.

Thanks again for your time and help on this.  Very glad your here on the forums.

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2016, 07:32:59 pm »
Thanks so much for the info, that totally fixed my issue.  The germanium diodes I had didn't work, but a 1n4007 diode inline like you showed works like a charm.  Not really sure why my lpt port goes high on shutdown, but a fraction of a second before shutdown my monitor would start to rotate, now with this diode it kills the 298 circuit on shutdown with the power button press.

Thanks again for your time and help on this.  Very glad your here on the forums.

Thanks for the kind words. Im glad it worked for you.
Have you posted your project on here (Project Announcements)? It's not mandatory of course to do so, but others might benefit, and you get the opportunity to show off your project.
Take care, and enjoy your work.

lowlytech

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2016, 09:38:04 pm »
I need to post the project for sure in the announcements.  I have gotten so many ideas from others it's a great resource for sure.  I get little snippets of time to work on the cabinet from time to time and then months will go by with no progress so I hated to post with no real cabinet of substance, but I have been documenting with pictures as I can.  It is starting to take shape, so I might very soon try to post the project. 

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2016, 05:17:42 am »
I need to post the project for sure in the announcements.  I have gotten so many ideas from others it's a great resource for sure.  I get little snippets of time to work on the cabinet from time to time and then months will go by with no progress so I hated to post with no real cabinet of substance, but I have been documenting with pictures as I can.  It is starting to take shape, so I might very soon try to post the project.

I know all about the little snippets of time to work on projects. Understand fully.
I havent been on here in a while and hopefully didnt miss you posting your project yet. If I did let me know.