Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Early design feedback  (Read 4585 times)

BigCurtis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 18, 2018, 05:11:38 pm
  • Life is Game.
    • Angry Cat Entertainment
Early design feedback
« on: July 14, 2016, 02:05:39 pm »
I'm in the earliest stages of designing a virtual pinball cabinet, and am just looking for some initial feedback. With as many other pies as I have in the oven I may not get started on this for a bit, but, well, I guess design is where it all starts, and here we are. I've been waffling between a traditional build, and something similar to the highly vertical cabs, but figured if I'm going to build my own, and only have one, might as well go all out.

Some initial inspiration was this skee ball, Ond's Retro-Future cab, and yametetsu's PinUp Cade:

And here's the rough concept I've got together so far, showing conceptual differences in upper artwork per side, and a rough scale:

I'm rolling my own four directional tilt mechanism, so no nudge buttons present. Being V-pin, it's going to be a dance on the exact angle of elevation (side viewing angle characteristics of the display may play a factor). Silhouettes are just initial conceptual artwork, I feel like I might prefer some of Hildebrant's style work, but something nice and PG13 about plain silhouettes as well. Blue are the backglass & DMD (covered a bit by the ladies).

Has anyone done anything similar, any good/bad/ugly impressions?

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
Re: Early design feedback
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 02:15:32 pm »
if thats the side of a william's wide body cab in the middle, is your cab going to be 11 1/2 feet tall?
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2016, 02:21:52 pm »
I dunno about the mud flap pinups. Or the shape. But I commend you for thinking outside the box and planning. Let's see what happens!
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 11:02:52 pm
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2016, 06:37:41 pm »
Throw it away. Start over.
%Bartop

thomas_surles

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2023, 07:20:00 pm
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2016, 07:22:35 pm »
if thats the side of a william's wide body cab in the middle, is your cab going to be 11 1/2 feet tall?
Please say yes

BigCurtis

• Offline Offline
  • Life is Game.
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2016, 09:33:33 pm »
I need something to compete size wise with the Capcom big blue, so it may be :)

Body length 52", taken to a moderate angle, likely closer to the 7' - 9' range. Yes, I intend it to tower over me, and I'm 6'4" and change. Likely three pieces for transport, pedestal, playfield, "backglass".

BigCurtis

• Offline Offline
  • Life is Game.
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2016, 09:35:27 pm »
I dunno about the mud flap pinups. Or the shape. But I commend you for thinking outside the box and planning. Let's see what happens!

My mind initially pictures a rich lustrous mohagony finish with a very 1930's vibe, on par with a grand piano, but I think my skillset fall closer to high gloss paint and decals. :/

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2016, 09:38:49 pm »

My mind initially pictures a rich lustrous mohagony finish with a very 1930's vibe, on par with a grand piano, but I think my skillset fall closer to high gloss paint and decals. :/
Try the finish, see what happens!

I'd lose the pinups, personally. They don't do anything for me. I like arcade projects to tie in to arcade themes. The mud flap ladies just look... cheap. :dunno

BigCurtis

• Offline Offline
  • Life is Game.
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2016, 01:12:52 am »
I'm kind of with you there, though at the same time, Pinball games have had a somewhat more adult tone in their theme and innuendos a fair amount of time. While there have been some adult theme'd arcades, that "booze & hard rock & loose babes vibe" is a bit more prominent in the pinball I've been exposed to, as well as the alcohol serving nature of every establishment I've played real pinball in.

Will keep evaluating options on the artwork front, that detail work is a ways off, and nice looking wood, well also looks nice :)

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2016, 01:28:03 am »
I'm kind of with you there, though at the same time, Pinball games have had a somewhat more adult tone in their theme and innuendos a fair amount of time. While there have been some adult theme'd arcades, that "booze & hard rock & loose babes vibe" is a bit more prominent in the pinball I've been exposed to, as well as the alcohol serving nature of every establishment I've played real pinball in.

Will keep evaluating options on the artwork front, that detail work is a ways off, and nice looking wood, well also looks nice :)
You know what, brother, the more I think about this logic in regards to pinball, the more I see your point. Look at the Strikes and Spares backglass. It's one of my favorites, and it totally fits your description. You've caused me to see the light! As long as this stays a Virtual Pin, I'm on board.

Do it up!!!