Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Nintendo is bringing back the NES — NES Classic Edition  (Read 108310 times)

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
Re: Nintendo is bringing back the NES — NES Classic Edition
« Reply #560 on: May 16, 2018, 01:07:53 pm »
I’m picking up a 52” plasma today from a friend for my office!
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

nitrogen_widget

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:02:12 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #561 on: June 05, 2018, 12:00:32 pm »
I was just kidding about an N64 mini back then. LOL!

http://www.newsweek.com/mini-n64-nintendo-trademark-leak-rumor-939525

MINI N64 COMING SOON? NINTENDO TRADEMARK APPLICATIONS HINT AT NEW RETRO CONSOLE
Nintendo has filed new trademarks in Japan that suggest another miniature version of one of its popular consoles may be on the way.

According to Japanese Nintendo, the company has applied for a trademark on N64. Japanese Nintendo translated the applications, which states the trademark is for the purpose of video game program, controller for game machine, joystick for game machine, TV game machine and more. The site also posted screenshots of the trademark application, suggesting a Mini N64 could be in the works.

Nintendo has filed trademarks linked to past consoles before. Back in December 2016, a trademark filing by Nintendo showed a miniature Super Nintendo controller. The trademark was found almost a year before the Mini Super Nintendo hit stores.

Nintendo’s E3 2018 presentation will be held Tuesday, June 12 at 12 p.m. EDT. It’s possible the event may see an official announcement of the Mini N64. However, based on how Nintendo announced its other retro consoles they may wait until after E3 to do so. The Mini NES wasn’t revealed until July 2016 and the company announced the Mini SNES a couple of weeks after E3 2017.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #562 on: June 05, 2018, 12:25:56 pm »
The mini 64 will happen I have no doubt.

But will the fix the controllers that is the real q lol

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #563 on: June 05, 2018, 01:06:16 pm »
The N64 is definitely a system I can easily pass up. Never liked it then, don't care for it now. There are only a handful of titles that were decent, and even with that they don't really hold up that well now. Unlike PSX games, there's something about N64 games that felt janky.
The only people that are avid fans of the N64 seem to be those in their 20's and super fanbois that are just blinded by subservient devotion.

1500points

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 20, 2018, 01:44:12 pm
    • How to succeed at Robotron
« Reply #564 on: June 05, 2018, 03:06:19 pm »
The n64 had mario 64 and mario kart which by themselves are superb.

Robotron 64 is really entertaining too. Very clever 3d-ish design.  Hard as heck later on too i bought it a number of years back but couldn’t get to the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #565 on: June 05, 2018, 03:11:51 pm »
Yeah the 64 had some great titles.

Perfect Dark, Goldeneye, Mario & Kart 64, Zelda & DK all pretty amazing games.

Sadly there was allot of ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- to!

The biggest prob with it was the nastily engineered joystick though!!

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:58:22 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #566 on: June 05, 2018, 03:55:50 pm »
Decent version of Gauntlet Legends with the RAM expansion pack... and that game is in fact why I bought an N64 back in the day.  Mario Golf is also quite fun and Nintendo's never managed to make a good golf game since (besides that Wii Sports tech demo).

:dunno

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2021, 01:33:52 pm
« Reply #567 on: June 05, 2018, 05:24:13 pm »
The N64 is definitely a system I can easily pass up. Never liked it then, don't care for it now.

Same. There was only 3 maybe 4 games for it I enjoyed and all have been re-released elsewhere.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #568 on: June 05, 2018, 05:28:33 pm »
Robotron 64 is really entertaining too. Very clever 3d-ish design.  Hard as heck later on too i bought it a number of years back but couldn’t get to the end.
That's not the way I'd describe it. I would say the developers made "interesting choices". The 3D does not work for this game. The moving camera gets too low when you get to the south end and corners of the level, making collisions hard to gauge... or it cuts off action because it gets too close or too much on one side of the map, making peripheral action hard to keep an eye on. Something very much needed in a Robotron game. The controls are atrocious for Robotron on that Fisher Price toy they call a controller. And what's up with the character design?  The game is just ugly and unplayable IMO.

Unfortunately Perfect Dark and Goldeneye do not hold up anymore. The clunky controls were fine for back then, when we didn't know better, but now it's just frustrating and slow. Graphics-wise it's very hard to look at any FPS type game on the N64 with those low poly models, lack of aliasing, and very blurry textures.

Honestly I think there are maybe 5 games on the N64 I would say are alright games to play now...but does these 5 warrant a Mini Classic version? That's in comparison to the NES or SNES library where you have orders of magnitude more games that are still relevant or still hold it's charm.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #569 on: June 05, 2018, 05:43:29 pm »
That's not the way I'd describe it. I would say the developers made "interesting choices". The 3D does not work for this game. The moving camera gets too low when you get to the south end and corners of the level, making collisions hard to gauge... or it cuts off action because it gets too close or too much on one side of the map, making peripheral action hard to keep an eye on. Something very much needed in a Robotron game. The controls are atrocious for Robotron on that Fisher Price toy they call a controller. And what's up with the character design?  The game is just ugly and unplayable IMO.

Unfortunately Perfect Dark and Goldeneye do not hold up anymore. The clunky controls were fine for back then, when we didn't know better, but now it's just frustrating and slow. Graphics-wise it's very hard to look at any FPS type game on the N64 with those low poly models, lack of aliasing, and very blurry textures.

Honestly I think there are maybe 5 games on the N64 I would say are alright games to play now...but does these 5 warrant a Mini Classic version? That's in comparison to the NES or SNES library where you have orders of magnitude more games that are still relevant or still hold it's charm.

If you are comparing them to modern standards thats a whole different kettle of fish!

IMO anything between the 32bit and modern standard looks terrible by todays view.

But that is because by the time you got to the 32bit consoles they were pretty much the pinnacle of 2D gaming and the start of 3Dish.

Then along came the PSX and the 64 and everything went 3D! Was amazing at the time but looked poor at best and now well they look downright awful!
PS2 era was considerably better but still a little rough.
Its only really last gen where games started to look tidy again IMO.

So yeah if you compare them to a modern FPS they are terrible!
But if you look at them with perspective of the time they were pretty ground breaking especially Perfect Dark.
Fully aim-able cross hairs, Hit detection, multiplayer etc.
They really started to bridge the gap between console and PC at that point.

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #570 on: June 05, 2018, 06:07:24 pm »
64 was the ultimate party console. Single player gamers could generally find much more value in a PSX. N64 was great for everything multiplayer. Besides the obvious mentioned above, there was stuff like WCW/NWO Revenge, Wayne Gretsky Hockey, BattleTanx, Smash Bros, NFL Blitz, Dr Mario, Mario Party, Snowboard kids, etc. It wasn't until the xbox/GC came out that me and my friends were deviating from the N64 for gaming.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #571 on: June 05, 2018, 07:35:54 pm »

If you are comparing them to modern standards thats a whole different kettle of fish!

IMO anything between the 32bit and modern standard looks terrible by todays view.

But that is because by the time you got to the 32bit consoles they were pretty much the pinnacle of 2D gaming and the start of 3Dish.

Then along came the PSX and the 64 and everything went 3D! Was amazing at the time but looked poor at best and now well they look downright awful!
PS2 era was considerably better but still a little rough.
Its only really last gen where games started to look tidy again IMO.

So yeah if you compare them to a modern FPS they are terrible!
But if you look at them with perspective of the time they were pretty ground breaking especially Perfect Dark.
Fully aim-able cross hairs, Hit detection, multiplayer etc.
They really started to bridge the gap between console and PC at that point.

No, I'm considering those games as candidates for a Classic Mini product. If you look at the games on the NES and SNES classic mini's you'll notice practically all those games hold up today, or hold their charm, even with those old gaming standards.   Something that holds the test of time, and is enjoyable today is what constitutes as being "CLASSIC".  Music and Movies are the same thing... there are classics, and there are old movies and music that were good for it's day, but suck now.  Would I pay for these crappy movies or music today?  Hell no...  but classics can be re-released for newer generations and can still be enjoyable.  I would gladly pay for a timeless game that can still be enjoyed now, without nostalgia getting in the way of my view.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #572 on: June 05, 2018, 07:50:18 pm »
Other than updating Goldeneyes targeting ret so it does not spring back it would be totally enjoyable today.
Same with Perfect Dark.

And the Marios and DK are still fun to play.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #573 on: June 05, 2018, 08:05:47 pm »
Other than updating Goldeneyes targeting ret so it does not spring back it would be totally enjoyable today.
Same with Perfect Dark.

And the Marios and DK are still fun to play.

We can agree to disagree.  ;)

bigster

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 16, 2022, 08:24:40 pm
« Reply #574 on: June 05, 2018, 10:29:00 pm »
64 was the ultimate party console. Single player gamers could generally find much more value in a PSX. N64 was great for everything multiplayer. Besides the obvious mentioned above, there was stuff like WCW/NWO Revenge, Wayne Gretsky Hockey, BattleTanx, Smash Bros, NFL Blitz, Dr Mario, Mario Party, Snowboard kids, etc. It wasn't until the xbox/GC came out that me and my friends were deviating from the N64 for gaming.
Yes to party console.  First smash.  4 player Mario kart.  Mario party.  Then when you consider Mario 64, the zelda games, and dk you got a solid system.  Problem is that if you thought star fox 1 and 2 played bad on snes classic, you are really going to hate how the games play on a n64 classic.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #575 on: June 05, 2018, 11:54:12 pm »
Goldeneye had a great theme and multiplayer.  The first level was incredible.  Controls wise it was already out of date by the time it came out and I find it infuriating to play now.  Though it is interesting how much unused stuff there is floating in the rom....

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #576 on: June 06, 2018, 08:09:21 am »
I don't think the problem is releasing 5 or 10 good N64 games, I think the problem is trying to put 20 good games on it. Theres bound to be "filler titles" and if licensing is an issue (like Killer Instinct, the Wrestling games,etc) the already slim pickings gets slimmer. I dont need a N64 mini, my SNESmini already plays them.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #577 on: June 06, 2018, 08:22:33 am »
I don't think the problem is releasing 5 or 10 good N64 games, I think the problem is trying to put 20 good games on it. Theres bound to be "filler titles" and if licensing is an issue (like Killer Instinct, the Wrestling games,etc) the already slim pickings gets slimmer. I dont need a N64 mini, my SNESmini already plays them.

Out of interest how well do they play?

My personal experiences of trying to play emulated 64 games has been dire!

Just one of those systems that cant be emulated particularly well imo.

Mostly due to the controls I think.

And yeah Killer Instinct is easily one of the best 3rd party games if not the best on there.

thomas_surles

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2023, 07:20:00 pm
« Reply #578 on: June 06, 2018, 08:55:54 am »
Not to mention microsoft owns some of the best titles on the 64

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #579 on: June 06, 2018, 09:08:37 am »
Out of interest how well do they play?

My personal experiences of trying to play emulated 64 games has been dire!

For the games that REQUIRE an analog, they play well enough on a Wii Classic Controller Pro. The ones that can be played with a D pad are fine with a SNES controller.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #580 on: June 06, 2018, 11:57:36 am »

Me and the boys had some fun with smash bros, mario party, diddy kong racing, mario kart.
It was a few yrs ago when I had the OUYA up with 4 controllers and we were emulating N64.
kids also loved donkeykong 3d (which had some collision detection issues) and mario 3d.

gamepimp

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 01:38:47 pm
« Reply #581 on: June 06, 2018, 02:23:18 pm »
Anyone hear if they're going to do pre-orders for the NES Classic releasing again on 6/29? Looks like they have them for pre-order on the Nintendo UK store. Not sure why they wouldn't do the same here...

JDFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
« Reply #582 on: June 06, 2018, 02:54:58 pm »
Anyone hear if they're going to do pre-orders for the NES Classic releasing again on 6/29? Looks like they have them for pre-order on the Nintendo UK store. Not sure why they wouldn't do the same here...

Seems Nintendo America puts a later live date on sales than their counterparts in other countries - so there aren't any listings yet but might be as it gets closer ( Gamestop has announced they will not be doing pre orders ) - With all of the problems the retailers had filling the pre-orders the last 2 times ( from selling out in less than a minute due to the bots, to cancelling all of the first round of pre-orders, to having to import from the middle east distributor a month after release to fill the pre-orders, etc.)  I wouldn't be trying to pre-order anyway

gamepimp

• Offline Offline
« Reply #583 on: June 06, 2018, 04:32:38 pm »
Thanks for the insight JDFan. I didn't realize the preorders were such a cluster last time. Probably best to just try to grab one in store I suppose. Hopefully the demand won't be quite as bad since a lot of folks already own one from the last round...

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #584 on: June 06, 2018, 04:57:57 pm »
Thanks for the insight JDFan. I didn't realize the preorders were such a cluster last time. Probably best to just try to grab one in store I suppose. Hopefully the demand won't be quite as bad since a lot of folks already own one from the last round...

Yeah it was pretty bad - Walmart sold them first and wound up selling 10x what they had been allocated in just a few minutes - then turned around and cancelled all of them ( about a week later) when they realized they were never going to receive enough to cover the amount they had sold - Amazon sold a bunch and didn't have enough to cover the sales so wound up going to the middle east vendor and buying a bunch to cover what they had pre-sold but didn't get them until about a month or so after release and then they were the US version but did not include the AC adapter or poster that came with the US version ( Think they wound up giving most of the late orders a discount to make up for it but had many upset customers when they didn't get them for several weeks after release)

At least they have pretty much caught up to the demand and had some available for most that wanted them this time around so hopefully the same will happen with the NES re-release - So the scalpers will stay away from buying them all up hoping to cash in like they did with the first release since Nintendo actually produced several million more SNES's than they did the NES the first time ( I mainly just want them to actually release some extra controllers to get a second one for the NES I got the first round but will probably get a backup system as well since I traded my backup for a UK version of the SNES. )

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #585 on: June 07, 2018, 01:18:29 pm »
From what I remember and can tell the same people on facebook market place and craigs list that were trying to sell these for around $200 are now down to $120 and have been re-posting weekly with "almost gone!" and "moving fast!" in the post.
I just laugh.

I hope nintendo just keeps making these.
eventually you will be able to pick one up on the shelf at walmart or Target for advertised price because the scalpers went broke.

gamepimp

• Offline Offline
« Reply #586 on: June 20, 2018, 07:05:32 am »
If anyone is interested in pre-ordering one of these when they release on 6/29 and you don't mind the European version, Amazon UK has them available. It doesn't come with the power brick, but any standard 5v USB will work. Nintendo of America also sells them separately if you want an official one. Even though the price is listed as 49.99 Pounds, it actually ended up being around 41 Pounds when I added to the cart (which is only $54 at current rates). I believe that is even cheaper than what they will cost here. Here is the link for it:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nintendo-Classic-Mini-Entertainment-Electronic/dp/B01IFJEWTM?_encoding=UTF8&tag=igndeals-21&ascsubtag=63f75a15-90d2-433f-a720-e0fa99e726cf

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #587 on: June 20, 2018, 09:24:04 am »
Even though the price is listed as 49.99 Pounds, it actually ended up being around 41 Pounds when I added to the cart (which is only $54 at current rates). I believe that is even cheaper than what they will cost here.

Yeah that's due to them removing the local taxes/import duty once you change the shipping address to somewhere international -- but then they add in the shipping cost ( not sure how much they charge for shipping) so the cost winds up being a bit more than buying retail depending on what your local tax rate is.

gamepimp

• Offline Offline
« Reply #588 on: June 20, 2018, 10:45:41 am »
Yeah, I figured the VAT was built into the original price and they just stripped that out since it was shipping to the US. I believe standard shipping was around 6 Pounds ($8). Our tax rate here is around 10%, so this deal would actually be a little cheaper. Of course, you don't get the wall adapter in the deal so that could involve extra costs if a person doesn't already have one...

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #589 on: June 20, 2018, 11:26:33 am »
Owning basically all of these mini systems including a Pi Zero, I find that I'm not really touching the SNES or Famicom much anymore.  The wired controllers are a huge PITA.  The Genesis mini has its quirks, but the wireless controllers and rewind feature are awesome.  It's nice that you can hack more systems onto the S/NES minis but the folders and loading game lists is annoying.

gamepimp

• Offline Offline
« Reply #590 on: June 20, 2018, 01:23:08 pm »
I have the 8Bitdo controllers that I use with the mini systems. They are awesome. All my consoles sit in an entertainment center that is pretty far away from my couch. I'm trying to get wireless controllers for all the systems I own because using controller extensions suck. Supposedly Retro-bit is coming out with wireless controllers for all the Sega systems. Looking forward to those. Krikzz has also made a wireless controller for Master System/Genesis/MD. Hopefully he will make other controllers. His products are top notch!

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #591 on: June 24, 2018, 10:12:31 pm »
FOr anyone looking for the extra controller to go with their NES classic -- looks like some of the Walmarts put them out early instead of waiting for Friday ( They are holding the systems but many have put out the controllers ! ) So you might want to stop by your local Walmart to see if you are wanting to buy a second official controller - I just bought 2 this afternoon from the local store after someone posted a notice on reditt.

Here's the brickseek link if you want to check your local store - https://brickseek.com/walmart-inventory-checker/?sku=54906124

They come 5 to a case so most stores are getting 10 or 15 so if you see it showing a different count they are probably already selling them ( Local store now shows 6 when they had 10 yesterday ! )

nexusmtz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 01, 2022, 03:14:22 am
« Reply #592 on: June 29, 2018, 12:49:17 am »
8 people were in line with 30 in stock at midnight in Manchester, CT.  I had picked up a controller earlier in the week, which was a good thing, since they were out. Nobody seemed to be there for scalping purposes, but they weren't going to let anyone have more than two anyway, and people had to go to the end of the (admittedly short) line for the second.

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:41:53 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes

gamepimp

• Offline Offline
« Reply #594 on: June 29, 2018, 09:00:05 am »
Best Buy has these available on their website to order right now if anyone wants one without going to a store. Looks like they might be more readily available this time around thank goodness.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #595 on: June 29, 2018, 06:38:28 pm »
I was at Target right now buying stuff for dinner since people are going to come over and swim. I wandered by the electronics department, saw these in stock, and grabbed one along with an extra controller. Eff you scalpers!

BTW, that’s my dog’s Zanax

***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

jdbailey1206

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2023, 01:32:56 pm
  • No. It's your top score on Pole Position.
« Reply #596 on: June 30, 2018, 11:11:00 pm »

BTW, that’s my dog’s Zanax

Cant imagine why a dog would need Zanax this time of year...

jmike

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 26, 2023, 05:14:03 am
« Reply #597 on: August 03, 2018, 01:24:32 pm »
Stopped by my local Wal-Mart for groceries and found 3 NES classic systems on the shelves. I was lucky enough to to get one on the first run but never picked up the 2nd controller until today. Guess I waited long enough.   :applaud:

1500points

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 20, 2018, 01:44:12 pm
    • How to succeed at Robotron
« Reply #598 on: August 03, 2018, 09:12:40 pm »
Stack of them at walmart and gamestop around here. Shelf of the controllers too. Don’t seem to be moving.

The steam from the popculture hype train isn’t driving them this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #599 on: August 04, 2018, 12:21:36 am »
I guess you haven't heard the news.  The NES Classic, not the Switch, not the PS4, was the best selling console of June by a decent margin.  Nintendo finally got their supply chain figured out, but that doesn't mean there isn't demand.