Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Nintendo is bringing back the NES — NES Classic Edition  (Read 108328 times)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Re: Nintendo is bringing back the NES — NES Classic Edition
« Reply #520 on: September 12, 2017, 12:28:59 pm »
Well the problem with that is they waited so long a great number of people already paid scalper prices for the NES, maybe even some for snes pre-orders.  It's a baffling decision.  I've got to assume that switching a factory from making one product to another costs a decent amount of money.... so why not just keep making the nes classic instead of switching to the snes classic and then back again?

JDFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #521 on: September 12, 2017, 01:11:33 pm »
Well the problem with that is they waited so long a great number of people already paid scalper prices for the NES, maybe even some for snes pre-orders.  It's a baffling decision.  I've got to assume that switching a factory from making one product to another costs a decent amount of money.... so why not just keep making the nes classic instead of switching to the snes classic and then back again?

Since the systems are outsourced to China for building anyway it probably winds up costing them the same per unit whether they do one or the other or both at the same time. Figure the molds for injecting probably only last for a specified number of prints before having to be replaced - so doesn't really matter once both molds are created which the machine is making.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:00:13 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #522 on: September 12, 2017, 01:12:28 pm »
I got my rpi2 all configured and games installed.

EVERY ---smurfing--- THREAD ON EVERY ---smurfing--- WEBSITE.

Nobody cares.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #523 on: September 12, 2017, 01:21:22 pm »

Since the systems are outsourced to China for building anyway it probably winds up costing them the same per unit whether they do one or the other or both at the same time. Figure the molds for injecting probably only last for a specified number of prints before having to be replaced - so doesn't really matter once both molds are created which the machine is making.

Well even ignoring all of that...abruptly ending sales caused them so much ill will.  Wouldn't it have made more sense to make an announcement stating that more are coming at a later date?

gamepimp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 01:38:47 pm
« Reply #524 on: September 12, 2017, 01:24:57 pm »
However, I would love to see nintendo churn out so many of these that the asshat scalpers trying to sell them for stupid amounts of money only break even.

I agree. I understand paying a small premium to get ahold of something that is in short demand. But these things have been going for like $250. I could never convince myself to pay that much. And you know there are some some people working at places like Gamestop, Walmart, etc. who were just grabbing all the inventory when it came into the store and are now turning around and selling the systems on eBay or Amazon. How is that fair to the average consumer like me who just wants this thing for nostalgia and doesn't have those kind of connections? I would prefer to have Nintendo just sell the consoles directly so they could control the inventory and then pay a little bit more for that.

Yeah, this will really suck for those peeps who paid two (or more) times the original cost of these systems. I'm thankful that they are planning a second run so I can finally get one, but this will definitely burn those peeps who felt like they had to spend way more or never have the opportunity to own one. I had heard that the reason they discontinued the system early was due to competing for resources with Switch manufacturing. Perhaps they found another way to manufacturer these classic consoles? I'm really hoping that Nintendo has learned some lesson here and will make sure they keep producing the NES/SNES/N64/etc. classic systems until everyone who wants one can get one. Seems like it would definitely put a lot of extra revenue in their pockets... 

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #525 on: September 12, 2017, 01:30:15 pm »
There's odd things going on with Nintendo's supply chain.  Somehow nobody online in the US has the Switch in stock, but there are several on the shelf in any store I walk into...

Oddly enough, it's actually cheaper to buy one from the UK and import it than to pick up one domestically.  Last I checked, it was going to be about $315ish shipped, plus whatever you had to spend on a USB-C power supply.  And they're never out of stock.... With tax, it'd run me $325 to pick up one up here.

:dunno

gamepimp

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 01:38:47 pm
« Reply #526 on: September 12, 2017, 01:37:42 pm »
There's odd things going on with Nintendo's supply chain.  Somehow nobody online in the US has the Switch in stock, but there are several on the shelf in any store I walk into...

I wonder if alot of this has to do with the fact that they want people to come into the stores so they can try to sell u a ton of extra crap that u don't want/need. Of course, when u do find it online at a place like Gamestop or Target it's usually in a package with...a ton of extra crap that u don't want/need. At least if u go into the store u can always just say "no" to the ancillary stuff and just walk out with a system in hand. LOL!

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:02:12 am
« Reply #527 on: September 12, 2017, 02:19:06 pm »

Yeah,
Maybe it's because of all the cheap knock-offs being sold?

Considering how many knock-off's are coming out i'm guessing molds aren't an issue right now.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 04:09:43 pm by nitrogen_widget »

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #528 on: September 12, 2017, 02:19:59 pm »

Nobody cares.

triggered?

JDFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
« Reply #529 on: September 12, 2017, 02:38:11 pm »
Well even ignoring all of that...abruptly ending sales caused them so much ill will.  Wouldn't it have made more sense to make an announcement stating that more are coming at a later date?

Sure would have -- Also would have gotten many of those that were paying the scalpers prices to get one after they discontinued them to just wait for more rather than pay the ridiculous price.

Think they finally figured out that the demand for them wasn't just a passing whim and that people actually wanted them -- Probably still thought it would pass as soon as they anounced the pre-orders for the SNES until those all sold out within minutes as well and they finally realized there might actually be a market for these things.

Hopefully they actually produce more like they say they are going to but will have to wait and see - but you would think they'd come through after seeing how much profit Ebay and Amazon have made from the fees they charge on the resellers that could have been in Nintendo's pockets if they had just produced more units.

Grasshopper

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 08, 2023, 07:20:31 am
  • life, don't talk to me about life
« Reply #530 on: September 12, 2017, 03:28:25 pm »

Nobody cares.

Except, apparently you cared enough to post a response.....
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel." - Samuel Johnson

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #531 on: September 12, 2017, 04:38:17 pm »
Except, apparently you cared enough to post a response.....

Hey, man, some of us sit there and passively tolerate bad behavior, and some of us speak up.   :applaud:

Particularly in a forum like this, where we all have an NES Classic, and we all have a Pi, and we all like the NES Classic better.... why the compulsion to mention you have a Pi?  We get it, you steal ROMs.

;)

Grasshopper

• Offline Offline
« Reply #532 on: September 13, 2017, 07:38:33 am »

Hey, man, some of us sit there and passively tolerate bad behavior, and some of us speak up.   :applaud:

Particularly in a forum like this, where we all have an NES Classic, and we all have a Pi, and we all like the NES Classic better.... why the compulsion to mention you have a Pi?  We get it, you steal ROMs.

;)

I realise you're (probably) joking. But seriously? Since when is expressing an opinion on a message board (which is basically what message boards are for) classed as bad behaviour?

If someone's opinion really offends you so much then you do have the option of simply ignoring their post.

I get that you don't like Raspberry Pis, and that's fine. But it cuts both ways. For every Pi fanboy out there there's also a Pi hater. For example, when someone starts a thread about building a cab based around a Pi, you can pretty much guarantee that someone around here (normally Paige Oliver, but others as well) will jump in to say that they should be using a PC instead, and that Pis are basically underpowered/overpriced crap. Personally, I don't have a problem with that. I accept there are plenty of good reasons to use a PC in a cab instead of a Pi. There are also plenty of valid reasons for preferring the NES/SNES Mini to a Pi. However, there are also many equally valid counter-arguments.

Anyway, why do we even need to choose sides? There are pros and cons to all of these devices, and I'm greedy enough to want all of them. I currently own a Raspberry Pi and I'm generally happy with it. But I also intend to buy a SNES Mini in a few weeks time (assuming I can find one). And if Nintendo re-releases the NES Mini next year (I'm sceptical it will happen) then I'll probably pick up one of those as well.

elvis

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 13, 2023, 05:31:03 pm
  • penguin poker
    • StickFreaks
« Reply #533 on: September 13, 2017, 08:43:37 am »
Maybe I'm misinterpreting, but they're not switching back and forth - they're going to produce both, and have at least verbally committed to keeping the runs going for a while.

Regardless of that, Nintendo are old school Japanese, and it's pretty clear that a lot of the decisions they make are not done like a modern company would.  There's no rapid communication internally, and there's no questioning of the orders that come down from above.  More than that, the company is ridiculously secretive, even keeping vital information from their own staff until the last minute.

What that means is that in 2017, they're struggling to apply old management and leadership models to new business.  The Internet moves crazy fast, as does the hype it generates.  When Nintendo say publicly "we were caught by surprise at the demand for the NES mini", that's an admission that they've never read a single post on any major gaming or social media post for at least 2 years, if not longer (suicide in the gaming industry).  Hell, they've had their "emulation is the devil" posts up on their corporate website for a decade or more now, so someone somewhere had to know that there was demand for this.  If that message didn't make it back up the chain to senior management, something is very wrong with their corporate culture.

Reading this - https://arstechnica.co.uk/gaming/2017/09/nintendo-nes-mini-stock-returns/ - my bigger surprise is Nintendo acknowledging the eBay vultures at all.  That says to me they at least see the missed profits their poor decisions led to. 

With any luck, they've learned from this, and changed a few ways they do things internally.  Maybe it'll bring Nintendo kicking and screaming into the 21st century finally.  Either way, I'll be happy to see this eBay flipping nonsense done with.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #534 on: September 13, 2017, 09:14:51 am »
Maybe I'm misinterpreting, but they're not switching back and forth - they're going to produce both, and have at least verbally committed to keeping the runs going for a while.

Regardless of that, Nintendo are old school Japanese, and it's pretty clear that a lot of the decisions they make are not done like a modern company would.  There's no rapid communication internally, and there's no questioning of the orders that come down from above.  More than that, the company is ridiculously secretive, even keeping vital information from their own staff until the last minute.

What that means is that in 2017, they're struggling to apply old management and leadership models to new business.  The Internet moves crazy fast, as does the hype it generates.  When Nintendo say publicly "we were caught by surprise at the demand for the NES mini", that's an admission that they've never read a single post on any major gaming or social media post for at least 2 years, if not longer (suicide in the gaming industry).  Hell, they've had their "emulation is the devil" posts up on their corporate website for a decade or more now, so someone somewhere had to know that there was demand for this.  If that message didn't make it back up the chain to senior management, something is very wrong with their corporate culture.

Reading this - https://arstechnica.co.uk/gaming/2017/09/nintendo-nes-mini-stock-returns/ - my bigger surprise is Nintendo acknowledging the eBay vultures at all.  That says to me they at least see the missed profits their poor decisions led to. 

With any luck, they've learned from this, and changed a few ways they do things internally.  Maybe it'll bring Nintendo kicking and screaming into the 21st century finally.  Either way, I'll be happy to see this eBay flipping nonsense done with.

Well said! :cheers:
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #535 on: September 13, 2017, 09:55:13 am »
i'll wait for the N64 mini to come out summer 2018!

smass

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 09, 2024, 07:46:54 pm
  • Cheapskate Arcade
« Reply #536 on: September 13, 2017, 11:47:29 am »

Wurd.

I would love to get the NES mini or SNES mini for retail price.  I have a pi in a NES clone case, but its not the same as the "real thing"

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #537 on: September 13, 2017, 11:51:52 am »
Problem with Pi is Emulation Station is "good enough" and development on front ends is at a complete halt.  I'd love to see the NES Classic software ported over.

Very few N64 games I care to revisit, frankly. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #538 on: September 13, 2017, 12:41:37 pm »
Yeah.  If I were better in Linux (and specialized Linux at that) I would try to write a frontend for the pi, but alas I'm not.

The thing about the n64 is, the games are so frikkin expensive that it's cheaper to buy a flash cart or an emulation box than to buy a single popular game.  I rgb modded my n64 and got a cheap flash cart just for golden eye, Mario kart 64 and star fox 64 essentially.   

Been playing devil's advocate the last few posts btw.... replying as some of you would have.  Connect the dots and the only way Nintendo's behavior makes sense is via my original theory.... they flat out mis-judged the popularity of the NES-Classic and weren't equipped to make enough in the long term.  It explains why no announcement was made until several months later, even after another retro console has went into production.  l

The whole old school Japanese thing is also certainly true, I've brought that up in the past as well. 

Pbj is right in that there are supply chain issues though.  There are rumors of a importer with palettes of nes classics sitting in a warehouse, for example.  I'm wondering if the thing about brick and mortar stores getting more units might have to do with some sort of deal with retailers........ though stuff on shelves is free advertising to them as I've mentioned.   I feel like Nintendo is resisting the fact that pretty soon all consoles and games will just be bought online.  I'm kind of glad they are, but I feel it might be hurting their reputation.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #539 on: September 13, 2017, 01:01:37 pm »
1st level of Goldeneye is exceptional but that game is very difficult to play now because you can't fall off ledges.  Maddening limitation.  Been meaning to use a clip mode mod to go check out that island on the dam level.... for the last 15 years....

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #540 on: September 13, 2017, 01:11:33 pm »
The cart sizes were so small on the n64 is a near miracle that they managed to fit as much into goldeneye as they did.  Rare were wizards before m$ bought them. 

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #541 on: September 13, 2017, 01:16:14 pm »
I agree I have no real love for most of the N64 library.

Goldeneye was awesome, Perfect dark made it look weak somehow by just going full on nuclear awesome.

Then you got Mario Kart and Smash Bros.

Thats pretty much it for me....

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #542 on: September 13, 2017, 01:18:38 pm »
Problem with Pi is Emulation Station is "good enough" and development on front ends is at a complete halt.  I'd love to see the NES Classic software ported over.

NES mini doesn't do flicker free 240p to a CRT TV though.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #543 on: September 13, 2017, 01:23:40 pm »
Can't please everyone.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #544 on: September 13, 2017, 01:28:56 pm »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #545 on: September 13, 2017, 02:20:12 pm »

You know what does?  A Nintendo.  If you need that option please quit kidding yourself and just buy a Nintendo. 

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #546 on: September 13, 2017, 02:28:08 pm »

You know what does?  A Nintendo.  If you need that option please quit kidding yourself and just buy a Nintendo.

Not kidding myself at all.
I don't need anything when it comes to the NES.

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2023, 07:20:00 pm
« Reply #547 on: September 14, 2017, 02:26:33 pm »
That thing is gonna suck if it happens. Im a huge n64 fan, but microsoft owns rare and that rules out half the games that would have been on the mini.
Banjo kazooie
banjo tooie
diddy kong racing (unless they hack out banjo and conker like the ds version)
Golden eye
Perfect dark
Conkers bad fur day.
Killer instinct .

The list will end up being something like:
Mario kart
Super mario 64
Ocarina of time
Majoras mask
Mario party
Star fox 64
Pokemon stadium
Kirby
Yoshi's story
Maybe a wrestling game but the "wwf" might be an issue

Still not bad but missing a lot of my favorite games

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2021, 12:21:09 pm
  • Don't half-ass two things, whole-ass one thing.
« Reply #548 on: September 14, 2017, 02:41:07 pm »
I'd bet a whole nickle that we don't see the N64 Classic anytime soon...if ever.

Why?

Because Nintendo needs to sort out the colossal dumpster fire of the NESC and SNESC production first. They can milk the NESC and SNESC for quite some time before ever having to even sniff in the direction of exploiting the N64C. Also, N64 emulation is not perfect, it might be "good enough" for you and me but I doubt Nintendo will accept it on economical hardware they will be putting in the inside.

[rant]

Side note....I personally think the N64 was Nintendo's worst console. It was like those awkward teenage years for Nintendo while they transitioned from 2D to 3D and it was a jarring experience. Sure, a couple of the games are fun but overall the system has arguably the least number of titles worth playing and certainly not worth playing again on a classic console. 

People always use the cliche "didn't age well".  I think the N64 games virtually embody that phrase. The N64 games are the definition of "didn't age well"

[/rant]

discuss... :)
If you can read this, it means Photobucket's money grab ruined my signature photos.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #549 on: September 14, 2017, 03:46:56 pm »
Thing is with NES/SNES, that was pretty much the end of 2D console games.  Besides the Sega Saturn, there wasn't much else.

With N64, we're still playing 3D games on modern.  Anything on that system is just a primitive version of what we're playing now.  Zzzzzz......

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #550 on: September 14, 2017, 03:59:59 pm »
Thing is with NES/SNES, that was pretty much the end of 2D console games.  Besides the Sega Saturn, there wasn't much else.

With N64, we're still playing 3D games on modern.  Anything on that system is just a primitive version of what we're playing now.  Zzzzzz......

Totally agree!

I said this ages ago.
The SNES and Mega Drive were the pinnacles of technology, The greatest 2D games consoles out there.

After that its pretty much bad 3D GFX.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #551 on: September 14, 2017, 04:41:50 pm »
I disagree with that.  Games are about the gameplay and while the n64's visuals are certainly primitive, the gameplay isn't always that way.  The best star fox is still starfox 64, the second best Mario Kart is Mario Kart 64, ect.....  Also it was a time when developers were still experimenting with 3d gameplay and some genres died on the n64.  Blast corps, for example.... we've never seen anything like it since. 

You'd be hard pressed to find 100 timeless n64 titles, but I bet you'd find a dozen or two, and that's all the n64 classic would need.  That being said it'd make sense to wait a few years before releasing the n64 classic.... so that generation got a bit older. 

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
Nintendo is bringing back the NES — NES Classic Edition
« Reply #552 on: September 14, 2017, 05:16:35 pm »
Trouble is nearly all the games worth having are the titles from Rare, and Mario Games.
With the oddity like Star Fox.

Agree about the leaving it a few years though.

Grasshopper

• Offline Offline
« Reply #553 on: September 16, 2017, 11:18:33 am »

I also agree. Most of the early 3D games haven't aged well at all, on any platform.

Games are indeed about gameplay. But the poor resolution, framerate, texturing, and polygon count of the early 3D games does inevitably impact on the enjoyment you get from the game. Most platforms from the 90s didn't really have the raw horsepower necessary to create a convincing illusion of a 3D world, and you need that before you can even consider the gameplay.

However, I don't think that poor 2D graphics impacts gameplay nearly as much as poor 3D graphics. Indeed, the crude graphics of some of the early 2D games are actually part of their charm. So, I think that 2D games generally age better that 3D ones. The exception might be some of the games on the very early platforms such as the Atari 2600 or ZX81. But even on those platforms there are a few hidden gems.

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2021, 01:33:52 pm
« Reply #554 on: May 14, 2018, 05:11:08 pm »

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #555 on: May 15, 2018, 05:04:29 pm »

Rpi > nes mini for this exact reason. Shlt, a regular nes is better than an nes mini. Just get a multicart and enjoy using it on your crt.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #556 on: May 15, 2018, 05:39:58 pm »
Nesmini can be modded to play master system games and turbographx, and gameboy/color/advance. You could plug in a snesmini controller and add all those games.  Pros and cons to both.

Compatibility with a CRT isn't high on my priority list.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #557 on: May 15, 2018, 05:54:36 pm »
Rpi > nes mini for this exact reason. Shlt, a regular nes is better than an nes mini. Just get a multicart and enjoy using it on your crt.

As someone that owns a Pi, NES with multicart, and NES Classic.... bro, it ain't even close.  NES Classic all day, every day.

I'll believe Nintendo is actually making these when I see them on the shelf.

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #558 on: May 15, 2018, 11:37:15 pm »

As someone that owns a Pi, NES with multicart, and NES Classic.... bro, it ain't even close.  NES Classic all day, every day.

I'll believe Nintendo is actually making these when I see them on the shelf.

Well, I can’t even use it on my tv so guess I will never find out...

The only tv I own with hdmi is in my kids room mounted on the wall.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #559 on: May 16, 2018, 10:48:45 am »
Dude, c'mon.  I don't even pick up flatscreen TVs on the side of the road anymore.