Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Nintendo is bringing back the NES — NES Classic Edition  (Read 109952 times)

thomas_surles

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2023, 07:20:00 pm
Re: Nintendo is bringing back the NES — NES Classic Edition
« Reply #440 on: June 26, 2017, 12:47:11 pm »
So with my nes plus everdrive, i was not that interested in the nes classic. But the snes classic however includes star fox 2, super mario Rpg, yoshis island, and kirby superstar, 4 games I can't play on the super everdrive. Also super mario rpg and secret of mana already cover the $80 price tag so it might be worth it.

They should have went with the super mario allstars+super Mario world instead of just smw.

JDFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #441 on: June 26, 2017, 02:34:40 pm »
Hmm..... at 80 bucks it seems just a bit too expensive.  It comes with an extra gamepad, so I guess that would bring it up to 70, but considering the nes classic edition already plays snes games I'm wondering where that extra 10 bucks came from.

Still a bit under $4 per game isn't that bad - and having a newly released original game included. Now just need to figure out where to pr-order that will actually get filled and not get notified they sold too many pre-orders to fill.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 02:37:09 pm by JDFan »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #442 on: June 26, 2017, 07:10:55 pm »
So with my nes plus everdrive, i was not that interested in the nes classic. But the snes classic however includes star fox 2, super mario Rpg, yoshis island, and kirby superstar, 4 games I can't play on the super everdrive. Also super mario rpg and secret of mana already cover the $80 price tag so it might be worth it.

They should have went with the super mario allstars+super Mario world instead of just smw.

I didn't think of that. It would fix the issue of those special chip games.  I might just pickup a spare gamepad if they sell them separately.... Nes Classic does snes just fine after all. 

gamepimp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 01:38:47 pm
« Reply #443 on: June 27, 2017, 08:21:20 am »

I have the SD2SNES and a super famicom so I was finding it hard to justify picking up a SNES classic. However, I forgot that some games weren't playable on that. Looks like I might have found a solid excuse to pick one up.  ;D

knave

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 13, 2023, 03:32:33 pm
« Reply #444 on: June 27, 2017, 04:01:10 pm »
. . . I'm wondering where that extra 10 bucks came from.

Supply and demand.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #445 on: June 28, 2017, 12:31:54 pm »
So again, just for those interested....   I doubled the size of the nes.png (the skin file) and edited the accompanying json file accordingly and it did load just fine, but I think I'm misunderstanding the json layout somewhat as I couldn't get the sprite positions dialed back in.  Also my override must have been interfering with the mods as it reverted back to the original gamelist while installed.  The good thing about Linux is anything has access to anything, but that's also why I hate Linux.  It could take a while to track down the issue. 

bigster

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 16, 2022, 08:24:40 pm
« Reply #446 on: July 11, 2017, 07:52:42 pm »
Just a fyi...prime day on Amazon had the 8bitdo nes classic receiver for 11.99 probably would work onsnes classic.  I picked one up.  Still need controller but you can get the snes one on eBay for 23 bucks. 

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2024, 11:27:54 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #447 on: July 11, 2017, 08:56:32 pm »
Those weird controllers I linked earlier have swung back down to 6.99 a couple of times, too.

Looks like that Aliexpress link is dead.  There are similar items at dhgate but nothing looks like a true clone.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #448 on: July 11, 2017, 10:58:53 pm »
I honestly don't think the 8bitdo is a good fit for the NES classic.  The nes had two action buttons, aligned straight across.  If you are going to play with a 4 button angled gamepad you might as well go roll in the mud and run off into the woods because you are some kind of animal.

You probably need to wait for the snes classic as well.  Nintendo changed the protocol somewhat on the nes classic just so it'd break support on some of the knock-off classic controllers... they might do the same thing again. 

bigster

• Offline Offline
« Reply #449 on: July 12, 2017, 06:27:59 am »
The snes 8bitdo controller looks fantastic.  That is what I am going to use on the nes classic for games that need more than 2 buttons otherwise sticking w original  nes controller for nes games.

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #450 on: July 19, 2017, 11:13:16 am »
Looks like a new version of the Raspberry pi 3 Nes case has been released -- It actually looks like they made some good design changes and are making it easy to build a mini Nes pi and it's onl;y $20 right now (shows a list price of $69 but not sure if it will ever go back to that price but for $20 seems a good deal ) - pretty much the same as the $25 Chinese KNock off without the need to make modifications.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073ZC4TZY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #451 on: July 19, 2017, 12:04:22 pm »
Does it include those PCBs inside the case?  Looks like this might actually have a functional power and reset button....

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #452 on: July 19, 2017, 12:25:20 pm »
Does it include those PCBs inside the case?  Looks like this might actually have a functional power and reset button....

I would think so -as they are pretty specific to the case (can't be positive till it gets here in a few weeks) The listing only says it does not include the rpi3 but makes no mention of if the PCBs are included  :dunno - and yes the power board runs from the slot at the back into that small pcb and then to the front panel and finally to the GPIO pins on the PI3 -= so should be a working set up for the power button and led. Seems to be pretty well designed and if it is what it looks like should be a good deal for the $20 price (Like I said not sure if that will be the consistent price or if it might go up if it sells but for now seems a good alternative for a pi3 case.

Looks like they copied old skool tools web interface - One of the people from there are on reddit and has verified that it is not a new one of their cases so must be another company so we'll have to see.

From the reddit thread :

[–]OldSkoolTools 1 point 41 minutes ago

It looks like they copied our bullet points 1 on 1 and the title includes Old Skool Tools, but this is not one of our cases.. Very strange. Thanks for notifying me.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #453 on: July 19, 2017, 12:29:10 pm »
Yeah, I dredged up that Reddit comment, too.  Complete BS, their Old Skool Tools case looks like crap and does nothing to truly resemble an NES.  Guess they like their grapes sour.

:cheers:

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #454 on: July 19, 2017, 12:40:22 pm »
Yeah, I dredged up that Reddit comment, too.  Complete BS, their Old Skool Tools case looks like crap and does nothing to truly resemble an NES.  Guess they like their grapes sour.

:cheers:

YEah when I first saw this one listed I thought they had maybe gotten their ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- together and redesigned theirs to actually look like a NES mini since it was popular - then realized the seller was someone else - so guess they are sticking to their version - I really like this new one as it has the 2 USB ports and ethernet port hidden under the lid and the 2 others for the controllers on the front - so when using it it still looks like a NES mini design.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #455 on: July 19, 2017, 01:23:05 pm »
Honestly I don't care for the design..... The Ethernet port and extra usb ports should have been put in the back.  Why?  Well if you actually decide to use the Ethernet port while gaming (for multiplayer or whatever) you are going to have a fat cat5 sticking out the front ruining the looks.  It's an improvement though... they are getting there. 

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:02:53 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #456 on: July 19, 2017, 03:30:51 pm »
I just took a flyer on one of these cases. I have a Pi that's just been sitting around collecting dust, so may as well do something with it. I ---smurfing--- hate the front ends on them though.

Thanks for the link, JDF.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #457 on: July 19, 2017, 04:03:30 pm »
I need to sit down and really learn Linux and have a crack at it.  Honestly you can do a lot in Linux just with scripting. 

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #458 on: July 19, 2017, 04:23:02 pm »
I just took a flyer on one of these cases. I have a Pi that's just been sitting around collecting dust, so may as well do something with it. I ---smurfing--- hate the front ends on them though.

HAve you seen the Nes Mini front end they have with Emulation Station and the newer version of retropie - It  looks decent

! No longer available
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 04:25:02 pm by JDFan »

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:02:53 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #459 on: July 19, 2017, 04:26:08 pm »

HAve you seen the Nes Mini front end they have with Emulation Station and the newer version of retropie - It  looks decent

! No longer available

That's a bit better. I didn't want something that looked like a f-Ing HTPC from 2005.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #460 on: July 19, 2017, 04:34:59 pm »
That's a bit better. I didn't want something that looked like a f-Ing HTPC from 2005.

THey've actually had a few decent ones being released lately and now the themes are pretty easy to swap in and out to test new ones.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #461 on: July 20, 2017, 11:51:03 am »
I've learned to tolerate the Emulation Station front end for console games.  It feels far too flat and dead for an arcade cabinet, but it works on a TV with a controller.

The problem with simply emulating the NES Classic front end on the Pi is that you don't get the multitude of benefits offered by the NES Classic... such as the fast booting, near instant game loading, easily managed save states, power down after inactivity, cut power without the whole thing taking a dump, etc.  All of those features are what set it apart from the Pi experience.

bigster

• Offline Offline
« Reply #462 on: July 20, 2017, 11:57:43 am »
I've learned to tolerate the Emulation Station front end for console games.  It feels far too flat and dead for an arcade cabinet, but it works on a TV with a controller.

The problem with simply emulating the NES Classic front end on the Pi is that you don't get the multitude of benefits offered by the NES Classic... such as the fast booting, near instant game loading, easily managed save states, power down after inactivity, cut power without the whole thing taking a dump, etc.  All of those features are what set it apart from the Pi experience.
Speaking the truth on the nes classic.  Which all gaming experiences would be that easy.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #463 on: July 20, 2017, 12:45:12 pm »
Yeah it's pretty awesome.  I've been going through Castlevania 3 lately.... that's one of those games I never got around to beating.  Something that's bothering me is the fact that even the "complete with roms" version of Hakchi has several errors in the game documentation.... missing titles.... bad art, ect. 

I'm thinking of revisiting my console documentation project soon just to fix some of it. 

smass

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 09, 2024, 07:46:54 pm
  • Cheapskate Arcade
« Reply #464 on: July 21, 2017, 03:45:17 pm »

I did the same.  If it does indeed come with the pcbs that are pictured then this will be a sweet deal. 

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #465 on: July 25, 2017, 10:43:02 am »
So apparently there's clones floating around now....

! No longer available

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #466 on: July 25, 2017, 11:43:11 am »
So apparently there's clones floating around now....

Yep - but it's not exactly the same - so the modding to add more games does not (yet) work on them and they are selling for $50 - $60 on the chinese sites - and some are selling them on Ebay etc. as originals and asking the going rate for originals for them - so if anyone is buying an Ebay/Craigslist resale - be sure you are getting an original not one of these !

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #467 on: July 25, 2017, 11:49:23 am »
Look pretty convincing to me, and they work with legit controllers.  Hopefully these things can be customized and we can shut up all those, "just get a Pi" folks.

The Chinese sites are making a concerted effort to hide these things from their English language sites.  Brush up on your Spanish and they're readily found. 

:lol

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #468 on: July 25, 2017, 01:35:01 pm »
Look pretty convincing to me, and they work with legit controllers.  Hopefully these things can be customized and we can shut up all those, "just get a Pi" folks.

The Chinese sites are making a concerted effort to hide these things from their English language sites.  Brush up on your Spanish and they're readily found. 

:lol

No need for Spanish -

https://phoebusgroup.en.alibaba.com/product/60676730196-803790661/EUR_and_USA_version_TV_classic_mini_console_n_e_s.html?spm=a2700.8304367.0.0.2c9d4139jzwCUP

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #469 on: July 25, 2017, 01:42:43 pm »
I can't get a purchase initiated on that site.  I did a "request for latest price" from seller... we'll see.

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #470 on: July 25, 2017, 01:58:48 pm »
I can't get a purchase initiated on that site.  I did a "request for latest price" from seller... we'll see.

Hmm - If I click on the Start order button it brings up an order entry page with the $60 price for a single unit - but haven't tried to order one so  :dunno

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #471 on: July 25, 2017, 02:11:26 pm »
Yeah, that's as far as I can get, too.  $60 feels a little too steep, but at $30-40 these are interesting.

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #472 on: July 25, 2017, 02:15:53 pm »
Yeah, that's as far as I can get, too.  $60 feels a little too steep, but at $30-40 these are interesting.

Agreed - seems they have the price inflated right now due to demand but in a few months they probably will drop drastically and then they might be worth a look - for the $60 I'll just hope my SNES preorder from Walmart arrives.

Grasshopper

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 08, 2023, 07:20:31 am
  • life, don't talk to me about life
« Reply #473 on: July 25, 2017, 03:34:59 pm »
Here's a short article on the same item:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/07/bootleg-nes-classics-flood-market-to-fill-demand-that-nintendo-wont/

I also saw a rather nice looking Famicom Mini Clone on Aliexpress with HDMI out selling for a slightly ridiculous $152. I'm guessing it's based on the same hardware.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-Japanese-Console-For-NES-MINI-For-Nintendo-Classic-Mini-Family-Computer-Video-Game-Console-Original/32808040260.html?spm=2114.search0104.0.0.kPbVW8

Interestingly, if you try to search for this item by putting in keywords like "NES" and "MINI", you won't find it. That lends credence to the idea that the Chinese sites are deliberately keeping these clones under the radar. Aliexpress' search engine is broken, but it's not that broken.

I guess there are some items that are considered too dodgy even for Aliexpress....

"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel." - Samuel Johnson

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #474 on: July 25, 2017, 03:58:39 pm »
Think Geek has NES Classics in stock if you're willing to buy $100 worth of garbage to go along with it....

http://www.thinkgeek.com/nes-classic-bundles/?icpg=HP_Carousel_NESClassic_1

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #475 on: July 25, 2017, 04:02:43 pm »
Only the mega man one is still in stock, so make that $150 worth of garbage. 

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 15, 2022, 07:22:35 am
  • Correct horse battery staple
« Reply #476 on: July 27, 2017, 09:25:32 pm »
Think Geek has NES Classics in stock if you're willing to buy $100 worth of garbage to go along with it....

http://www.thinkgeek.com/nes-classic-bundles/?icpg=HP_Carousel_NESClassic_1

And... they're gone.

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #477 on: July 28, 2017, 02:25:38 pm »

Yeah, I saw that just after the "good" bundle was sold out, and didn't pull the trigger on the others.  Just not worth it.

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #478 on: July 29, 2017, 12:23:06 pm »
Anyone still looking that lives in  Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas, Houston, Los Angeles or Seattle -- looks like amazon is running a promo selling them at retail today out of their new treasure trucks -- https://www.cnet.com/news/amazon-treasure-truck-selling-nintendo-nes-classic-for-60-today/.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #479 on: July 29, 2017, 05:03:46 pm »
.....sigh.....