Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Nintendo is bringing back the NES — NES Classic Edition  (Read 108413 times)

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:47:56 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
Re: Nintendo is bringing back the NES — NES Classic Edition
« Reply #320 on: April 24, 2017, 10:12:50 am »
Yep, Nintendo already got 30 minutes of my life.  That was enough.

8BitMonk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2023, 05:27:00 pm
« Reply #321 on: April 24, 2017, 11:32:02 am »
So I got the Best Buy email alert and figured I'd stop by and if there was no line I'd try to snag one.

I get there, line starts to form and I'm second in line thinking hey I have a good shot at getting one when I notice the guy who's first in line has a slip of paper, uh-oh. People ask him what the slip of paper is for and he says there were a bunch of people there camped out at 5am. and a Best Buy rep gave them the slips to reserve a unit and they could come back later to buy them!?

Wtf Best Buy, I thought this was first come first serve WHEN THE DOORS OPEN! Is this a known thing I'm out of the loop on? Not that I'd have shown up anyway but I didn't think anyone from BB would be there at 5 in the morning. At that point I was 99% sure all the units had been 'reserved' so I didn't even wait for the doors to open, just left my place in line cursing Nintendo and Best Buy for robbing me of 30 minutes of my life. :hissy:
Games: Asteroids Deluxe | Atomiswave | Centipede | Championship Sprint | Defender | Donkey Kong | Dig Dug | Frogger | Ikari Warriors | Missile Command | Pac-Man | Pole Position | Robotron | Spy Hunter | Tempest | Super Mario Strikers

Grasshopper

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 08, 2023, 07:20:31 am
  • life, don't talk to me about life
« Reply #322 on: April 24, 2017, 03:06:15 pm »
A small form PC is still the best solution for arcade projects. Period.

Xbox original (not 360, not One) is actually pretty great because of CoinOps, and you can connect to a component TV easily without doing any configuring. Unlike the Pi.

The Pi is cool for size, but setup sucks if you don't dig Linux and start-up/shutdown is slower than a tweaked windows machine, and is prone to corrupting the sd card.

The PI does take a while to start up but it shuts down very quickly.

With regards to SD card corruption, it's never happened to me, but I can see why it might theoretically be a problem. However, it's perfectly possible to set up a Pi so that it never writes to the SD card. There are tutorials all over the net that explain how to do this. It's not difficult but it does require you to use the Linux command line. Actually, now I think about it, I'm surprised it's not a standard feature built in to Retro Pie. Maybe someone should contact the developers to see whether they'd be willing to add it as an option.

Just make the SD card read only after putting all the roms in.  Just like in the days of old when Linux came on a DVD.  No corruption.  I only had one card corrupt on me when I pulled the power out of the Pi.  It was a crappy PNY.  You can create a swap with 16mb of RAM, then only one write is needed if any.  You can add the option yourself without asking for help (BYOAC Remember).   It is a hobby, so you learn as you go.

You might get away with doing that. The trouble is, there are many badly behaved programs around that insist on writing to the disk whether you want them to or not. If you don't allow them to write to the disk, you run the risk of them crashing or behaving in an unexpected way.

Therefore, a better and much cleaner approach is to mount the sdcard's file system as read only, and then overlay the filesystem with a read-write filesystem that writes to RAM. A fairly good guide on how to do this can be found here:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=161416&p=1044893
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel." - Samuel Johnson

Titchgamer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #323 on: April 24, 2017, 03:43:36 pm »
Or do what I do.

Not worry about it and make sure you have a back up img of the sd card just in case.

But as long as they are shutdown properly they should be fine. I have never corrupted a pi card.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #324 on: April 27, 2017, 04:47:53 pm »
! No longer available

And with that, my interest in owning a real NES Classic shriveled like a testicle in cold water.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #325 on: April 27, 2017, 06:04:06 pm »
That's been out for a while man.  It's just a skin for Launch Box, so it's yet another front end for windows.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #326 on: April 27, 2017, 09:00:36 pm »

And with that, my interest in owning a real NES Classic shriveled like a testicle in cold water.

Having one ball must suck.

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:40:39 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #327 on: April 27, 2017, 09:02:04 pm »

Having one ball must suck.

hey, only 50% chance of knocking the o'l lady up.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #328 on: April 27, 2017, 10:04:47 pm »
It's a theme for Attract Mode and the latest release came out three weeks ago.

:dunno

And give monorchids a break.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #329 on: April 27, 2017, 10:18:58 pm »
Sorry, all front-ends look alike to me.  I get them all mixed up at this point.  My point is after all that talk about wanting a solution that boots up quickly and just works you are back to windows?!?

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #330 on: April 28, 2017, 09:21:21 am »
It's Attract Mode on a Pi.   :P  You know, that device I already own 2 of and don't use.

bigster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 16, 2022, 08:24:40 pm
« Reply #331 on: April 30, 2017, 10:36:01 pm »
Here are some quick thoughts because I finally got around to playing this thing.  I don't have a Pi but I have used emulators on several devices, xbox, wii, my arcade cab, and most recently the shield tv.  I played the NES Classic for sometime this weekend.  It is a great experience.  The experience is well above the other emulation experiences I have had in the past.  I understand the draw of this quick and easy device.  Played through Mega Man 2, it was way better than any other emulation experience I have used in the past.  It is the ease of use that this thing has going for it. 

The only downfall is that I have to get up and reset the console when I want to switch games (I am using a long controller extension).  Would be nice to have a wireless controller (like the one Howard reviewed) but with a home button to go back to the main menu.

I was against buying this at first because I was planning on saving up for an NT Mini.  I thought that this would just cut into the funds I planned to spend on the NT Mini but I was wrong.  I like this thing and I am glad I bought it. 

JDFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #332 on: April 30, 2017, 11:14:22 pm »
The only downfall is that I have to get up and reset the console when I want to switch games (I am using a long controller extension).  Would be nice to have a wireless controller (like the one Howard reviewed) but with a home button to go back to the main menu.

The Hakchi mod used to add games also includes the home setting using any key combination you set up (this is the main reason I modded mine) - it is a very easy process to add it and this opption alone makes it worth doing !

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #333 on: April 30, 2017, 11:20:07 pm »
Exactly.  The end user experience is so finely polished that only Nintendo could pull it off.  I initially got it as a really fun collectable, but after using it I was immediately hooked.  Settings are easy to change (what few you have anyway), the save states are easy to manage... the filters and sorting are good ect....  From a guy that's made front-ends for the better part of 15 years I can tell you that their particular interface, as Spartan as it is, just hits the mark really well.  It's something that a youtube video can't capture. 

I'm glad they are aping the look via Attract Mode, and I'm sure I'll be using that for a future project now, but my guess is it won't be nearly as easy to setup and maintain.

Btw definately do the mod and enable returning to the menu by pressing down+select.  It makes the thing instantly more enjoyable and you don't have to install any extra games.  You can also add some neat functions like auto fire and ect....

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #334 on: May 01, 2017, 12:06:20 pm »
Target got stocked again this morning.  I didn't bother with the camp out, once was my limit. 

Sure enough, every one in town was sold out by 8:15am.

:banghead:

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #335 on: May 01, 2017, 04:54:32 pm »
They are still out around here as well.  I've got a feeling that once scalpers realize they can't sell these for high prices you'll be able to get one fairly reasonably.  That is if all the Nintendo nerds don't gobble them up.  In slightly related news, I walked into my local gamestop and they had Switches in stock.  At least Nintendo is keeping their promise in regards to demand on that one. 

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #336 on: May 01, 2017, 04:59:25 pm »
Yep, saw three Switches in Wal-Mart yesterday.  Noticed the Amiibos are back in full force and price.  Maybe some day Nintendo will release a new game for it.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #337 on: May 01, 2017, 05:11:50 pm »
Seriously.  I played Zelda on the Wii U and while battle mode looks cool on Mkart 8, I'm sure not paying full price for the same game I bought a couple of years ago.  Platoon 2 looks just like the first one, so I guess we'll wait for Mario.  Bomberman and Tetris are getting rave reviews though.  lol

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:40:39 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #338 on: May 03, 2017, 10:03:23 pm »

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #339 on: May 03, 2017, 11:29:36 pm »

:timebomb:

I've been playing around with Emulation Station.  I'm slowly not completely hating it.  Attract Mode has been too glitchy for me.

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #340 on: May 04, 2017, 12:03:16 pm »

Played Tecmo bowl on the Classic the other day.  I noticed the player names are gone.  Any other licensed games on the Classic have issues like this?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #341 on: May 04, 2017, 12:24:05 pm »
Punchout, obviously... although technically that's still a real nes title without alteration.  You'll notice a distinct lack of licensed classics on the system (no tmnt, top gun, ect.) and that is probably why. 

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #342 on: May 04, 2017, 12:30:51 pm »
Entire rom set with artwork and bundled with hakchi is like 200mb and pretty readily available...

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #343 on: May 04, 2017, 01:28:10 pm »

Yeah, but I don't own the Classic.  I use it occasionally at the console gaming center that just opened a couple miles from my house (same place I use the PS VR).  There is a Tecmo Bowl tournament there happening soon on the Classic so I put in a little refresher practice and noticed that Bo Jackson no longer exists in the game.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #344 on: May 04, 2017, 02:10:07 pm »
Bo Jackson?

Yeah, so, you've pretty much confirmed you're a dick.

;)

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #345 on: May 04, 2017, 02:19:34 pm »

Playing by myself while waiting on a VR headset, yeah, I'm the Raiders.   :laugh2:

I wouldn't do that in a competitive setting.  You're right about it being a dick move.  I'm assuming the Raiders will be banned from the tournament.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #346 on: May 05, 2017, 09:23:31 pm »
I couldn't take it anymore.  Famicom Minis are dropping about two cents an hour for the last three days.  They're down to $110 fulfilled by Amazon, and I snatched one of those and another for $95.

I'll start another thread detailing the modifications after the first one arrives Sunday.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #347 on: May 05, 2017, 11:29:13 pm »
I'm interested in your thoughts of the unit in regards to the form factor and included controllers, ect....  If they keep dropping I might snatch one up as a collectable. 

Grasshopper

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 08, 2023, 07:20:31 am
  • life, don't talk to me about life
« Reply #348 on: May 06, 2017, 01:03:08 pm »
From a purely aesthetic perspective, I actually prefer the Famicom Minis. They're not attractive in the conventional sense, but nevertheless I love the funky retro styling.

By comparison the NES cases look a bit bland, and there's no nostalgia factor for me as I never owned a real one.

It's just a shame about the non-detatchable controllers.
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel." - Samuel Johnson

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #349 on: May 06, 2017, 06:12:22 pm »
Yeah, so it's pretty easy to mod it to detachable controllers.  You need a couple of six pin connectors, and then you cut an NES controller extension in half and wire the female end to the motherboard. Connectors ran me $2 shipped for a set of ten.  10 foot extensions are $5ish each.  Should be completely reversible.

If one of you wants to "take a chance" Amazon warehouse deals has one for $75 shipped.  The condition description is weird but Amazon will likely take care of you.  ("May come repackaged, factory sealed, small mark on disc" = who the hell knows...)

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #350 on: May 06, 2017, 06:56:42 pm »
Meh, to hell with it.  Conditioned was changed to "factory sealed" so I cancelled my $95 one that wasn't arriving for another week and have the warehouse one coming Monday.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #351 on: May 06, 2017, 08:54:31 pm »
Yeah 75 isn't bad at all.  At least with amazon you'll know you won't get a box of rocks.  I was looking at the mod... looks like you just need a spare 6 pin connector to splice in the nes classic extension cables, so no soldering or mangling of the unit required. 

Anyone buying one should keep in mind that they need to add a minimum of 20 bucks to the cost if they plan on using nes gamepads. 

I'm still waiting on the edge joysticks to drop in price.  They are 25 now, but I bet they'll eventually drop to under 15. 

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #352 on: May 07, 2017, 02:52:53 pm »
So, after flashing to English and installing 700 NES games... This thing shits all over the Pi.

The Famicom controllers are tiny but still work pretty well.  I will wire in the extensions but not sure I'm going to bother with getting NES controllers.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #353 on: May 07, 2017, 03:56:44 pm »
The knock-offs I've tried thus far tend to suck, so you might want to save some trouble/expense and get the wireless one I did.  You can just solder the connector directly to the dongle and avoid the extension cables.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #354 on: May 07, 2017, 06:33:59 pm »

I am surprised that any of us could exist without having owned a couple NES controllers in some box someplace the whole time.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #355 on: May 07, 2017, 06:56:48 pm »

I am surprised that any of us could exist without having owned a couple NES controllers in some box someplace the whole time.

Which would be a relevant point... if the NES Classic/Famicom mini used NES controllers. 

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #356 on: May 07, 2017, 07:28:57 pm »
I will wire in the extensions but not sure I'm going to bother with getting NES controllers.

Have I read that incorrectly?

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #357 on: May 07, 2017, 10:39:08 pm »
The famicom style controllers are on super short cords.  I'm planning on splicing them to 10 foot extensions. 

JDFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #358 on: May 07, 2017, 11:16:51 pm »
The famicom style controllers are on super short cords.  I'm planning on splicing them to 10 foot extensions. 

Does the small size of them make it hard to use them ?

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #359 on: May 07, 2017, 11:54:39 pm »
I made it to Piston Honda #2.  They aren't ultra comfortable but aren't horrible either.